Winds of Change

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

As he stepped out of the barn door, his sixth sense kicked him in the pants, he ducked to the left, just as something whizzed past his right ear. Turning he was confronted with a dark figure, drawing back an ax handle to strike again. John rushed the man before he can complete his backswing, bowling him over and onto his back. Both men struggle for the dominant position.

John, finally on top, draws his pistol shoving it in the man's ear. When the cold steel of the barrel touched his skin, the stranger stopped struggling. Pressing the pistol hard against the man's head, John reached for the flashlight on his belt. When he shined the light on the man's face, John was not surprised by the fact the man is a stranger to him.

"You move, I'll kill you," John said in a loud clear voice. "Do you understand?"

"Yes," the man croaked.

John climbed to his feet, never taking the barrel from the man's ear. He then quickly stepped back from the prone figure.

"Get up on your knees, slowly, hands on your head," John told him.

The man climbed to his knees, placing his hands on his head. John approached the man from behind. Pushing the pistol barrel against the man's head just above his spine, John patted him down. John pulled a pistol, a Glock by the feel of it, from the man's waist and pushed it in between his belt in the back.

John pulled his cuffs from his belt and snapped one end around the right wrist of the stranger. Then pulling that arm down and around behind the man, John pushed him forward hard. The stranger was now face-first on the ground, John going with him, his knee in the back of the stranger. All the air was squeezed out of the stranger as he hit the ground. John holstered his pistol, grabbed the free arm and twisted it to the man's back, snapping the free cuff on his wrist. John stood up looking down at the stranger.

"Get up, I'm sure you know how," John ordered.

The stranger struggled to his feet a scowl on his face. John just chuckled as he pushed the guy toward the house. John guided the strange to the squad car in front of the house.

"On your knees," John told him.

The stranger reluctantly complied. Pulling the car keys from his pocket, John started the car, took the mike from the holder and spoke.

"County One to County," John paused going through the duty roster for tonight, "Five."

"County Five," Calvin answered.

"County Five, disturbance at Sheriff's ranch, handle code three," John told Calvin. The adrenaline would do him good.

"10-4, County Five in route," Calvin yelled into his mike over the noise of the siren.

John chuckled as he leaned back against his car. The stranger was scowling at him.

"I bet whoever sent you didn't tell you I'm the Sheriff?"

"No they didn't," he spat.

"Would you like to return the favor?"

"Not really."

"That's a shame. Right now, you're on the hook for assaulting a police officer and possible attempted murder. If you decide to return the favor, I might, just might reduce the charge to simple assault."

"Why would you do that?"

"Because I want who hired you, not you."

"I'll think about it."

"You have about three minutes. When my deputy gets here the deal is off."

"If I tell you, I walk?"

"Not exactly, I'll have to hold you until I have whoever hired you in a cell next to you. Then there's the fine. Then you walk with just a misdemeanor beef instead of a felony rap."

"Jordan Manning."

"And who is Mister Manning? And where does he reside?"

"Manning lives in Fargo, he runs numbers there, among other things."

"And do you happen to know who Manning works for?"

"No, he just calls me when he needs me to persuade someone to pay up. I thought that's what I was doing here tonight."

The siren had been getting louder for the past few minutes. Calvin roared up to the front of John's house in a cloud of dust. John chuckled as Calvin jumped from his car, eyes wide, going from John to the stranger on his knees.

"Damn Sheriff you have all the fun," Calvin said sliding to a halt next to the stranger.

"Hey, you got to use your siren and lights, didn't you?"

"Yeah. What do I do with him?" Calvin pointed at the stranger.

"Take him to lockup and stick him in a cell."

"What's the charge?"

"No charge yet, just put him on ice for a while."

"Whatever you say, Sheriff," Calvin said pulling on the stranger's arm to help him to his feet.

"John, Calvin and don't log him in, just put him in an empty cell."

"Right John," Calvin said nodding while pushing the stranger toward his car.

Reaching in his car, John turned it off, pulling the key out of the ignition and returning them to his pocket. John smiled as Calvin pulled out onto the highway. He then turned and went to the house where Rudy meets him enthusiastically.

"And where the hell were you?" John asked the dog who looked at him questioningly.

Chapter 16

"Leyland, John Abernathy," John said into the phone the next morning.

"What can I do for you, John?"

"Can you arrange a meeting with Jordan Manning?"

"Jordan... what's going on John?"

"Well one of his boys tried to kill me last night and I'd like to have him in my cell as soon as possible."

"Would an hour from now be too soon?"

"Not at all, Leyland, see you then." John hung up the phone with a smug look on his face. "Bobbie, can you come in here please?"

"Sure boss," Bobbie answered from the outer office. "What do you need, Sheriff?"

"There's a guy down in lock up... "

"We don't have anyone in lock up... at least it's not on the... "

"He's there. I want you to bring him up here and put him in interrogation room two."

"Then what?"

"Nothing, just leave him there. Oh, go over to the diner and get him breakfast."

"Ah, okay," said Bobbie looking over her shoulder at John.

Ten minutes later Bobbie returned from the diner with the prisoner's breakfast. After another twenty minutes, John gets up and goes to the room where the prisoner is. Going in he closed the door.

"Do you need to use the bathroom?" John asked.

"No thank you, Sheriff, your deputy let me use the facilities before she brought me up."

"Good, then we can get down to business. Barring any mishaps, Mister Manning should be here within the hour to discuss his situation with us... "

"You're not going to tell him I told you... "

"Of course I am, but I'm not interested in him, I want the guy who hired him or ordered him to put the hit on me."

"He'll kill me if he finds out... "

"I'm sure arrangements can be made for your stealthy disappearance."

"Witness protection, you have to be kidding me."

"Well, you can always take your chances on your own." John stood turning toward the door. "I will be keeping my word. Once I have what I want from Mister Manning, you walk. Where you walk is up to you."

John was out the door and walking back to his office before the prisoner could answer. For the next thirty minutes, John just waited, slowly looking through the files on the two women and the one on Harvey. John heard the door open announcing the arrival of Leyland Vickers and Mister Jordan Manning. Standing, John met Leyland at the entryway.

"Well, John, here he is and he's none too happy," Leyland laughed as he dragged Mister Manning along behind him.

"Well, he's about to become even unhappier," John said taking Manning's arm in his hand. "Right this way Mister Manning."

"Who the hell are you and what am I doing here? I'll have both your badges... "

"Why do they always say that? If it was that easy we wouldn't be here talking with them," John laughed pushing Manning into interrogation room one. "Have a seat, we'll be right with you," John said pushing him down into the chair.

Outside the room, door now closed, John, smiled at Leyland.

"Did he give you much trouble?"

"Just the usual guff his kind always uses. Swore up and down that whatever we thought we had on him he had an alibi to cover it," Leyland said.

"Well let's let him cool his heels in there for a while. Calvin," John shouted.

"Sir," Calvin answered getting up and coming over.

"I want you outside this door. Don't do or say anything, just watch this door. If it opens just stand there... wish Moose was here or Jimmy."

"Actually, Bobbie would be better," Leyland said laughing. "This guy is a pig when it comes to women."

"Really... Carol."

"Yes Sheriff," she answered softly.

"Come here would you?"

"Sure, what can I do?" Carol sounded excited.

"Just stand here. Calvin, I want you here, where he can't see you. Carol, you just stand there and when he opens the door, that's if he even checks to see if it's unlocked, scowl at him."

"I can do that. What if he decides to come out?"

"Kick him in the nuts or wait until Calvin sticks his pistol in the guy's ear, I don't care. But you both will swear you told him to get back in the room."

"I can do that," Carol said laughing. Calvin didn't look too sure, but he was smiling.

"Good. Now, Leyland, we have to talk to the guy in room two."

"Sure."

Both John and Leyland disappeared into interrogation room two.

Fifteen minutes after Mister Manning was put in room one, the door slowly opened. Manning poked his head out and jerked back when he saw Carol standing looking at him. Flinging the door wide, Manning stepped into the hall confronting Carol. An instant later, he was on the floor holding his groin. Calvin stepped forward, grabbed his collar and dragged him back into the interrogation room.

"Now stay here until the Sheriff and Captain Vickers are ready to talk to you."

Manning groaned as Calvin let go of him and closed the door. Carol giggled as Calvin winked at her. A few minutes later, John and Leyland come out of interrogation room two.

"Well?" asked John.

"He came out about five minutes ago, tried to push past me. He got a knee in the groin for his troubles and Calvin dragged his ass back in the room," Carol told John, a big smile on her face. "I could get used to police work."

"I bet you could," John said laughing.

Opening the door to the room, Manning was in, John and Leyland entered. Manning was still lying on the floor where Calvin had deposited him.

"Get up Manning," John said grabbing his collar and lifting him off the floor. "Now sit down and behave yourself."

"I want to press charges... "

"Against who?" asked John laughing at the grimace on Manning's face.

"The woman deputy... "

"What woman deputy?"

"The Indian deputy."

"I have no woman, Indian deputy."

"The one that was outside the door, just a minute ago... she's one of your deputies."

"No, she's the department secretary and her story is that a suspect being detained in a department interrogation room somehow got out and assaulted her."

"I did not... "

"Doesn't matter, it's her word against yours and in this county, her word carries far more weight than yours."

"Fuck you," spits out Manning.

"I guess it's time to inform you of your rights, but first... I'm Sheriff John Abernathy, the man you sent Mister Deeks after... "

"I did no such thing... "

"Well, Mister Deeks said differently. Now comes the good part. Mister Manning, you are under arrest for conspiracy to commit murder and assault on a police officer. You have the right to remain silent. You have the right to a lawyer. If you cannot afford a lawyer one will be appointed to represent you, anything you say will and can be used against you in a court of law. Do you understand your rights as I have explained them? Do you waive your rights at this time?"

"Fuck you!"

"I'll take that as a no. That's fine you don't have to say a thing, I'll do all the talking. Mister Deeks' testimony is enough to put you away for a long time... "

"He wouldn't dare... "

"He would and will testify against you. The prospect of spending the rest of his life in prison isn't all that appealing to him. So, he gets the deal. Now you can also have a deal, not as good as Deeks' but for you pretty good."

"Fuck you."

"Are you sure you wouldn't want to hear the deal?"

"Fuck you."

John shrugged, stood and opened the door.

"Calvin, take Mister Manning down and put him in a cell."

"What are the charges?"

"Mister Manning, last chance, once the charges are filed there is no turning back," John told him.

"Fuck you."

"Attempted murder, conspiracy to commit murder, assault on a police officer, for now, there will be more to follow."

"Fuck you, you can't do this... I want to call my lawyer."

"When you're finished booking him, let him make one phone call Calvin."

"Sure thing Sheriff."

John and Leyland stood watching as Calvin led a cussing Manning down the hall to the stairway down to lockup.

"So, do you think you can make the charges stick?" Leyland asked John.

"As long as I need to," John replied.

Chapter 17

After work, John sat waiting in front of the science building at the university. At six sharp a car pulled up behind John's squad and honked its horn. Looking in the rearview mirror, John saw Michelle's smiling face. Waving he put his car in gear and led Michelle to the ranch.

~~~ [time] ~~~

John was just putting the finishing touches on dinner when Michelle returned to the house from checking the horses in the barn. She stood outside after knocking on the door and waited for John to open the door for her.

"Come in, you don't have to knock, my door is always open," John told her holding the door for her.

"I would, except I don't know if Rudy knows me well enough," she replied.

"He didn't even stir and he heard you walk up," John laughed turning to look at Rudy who sat at the end of the hall waiting to greet Michelle. "See, he's waiting for you so he can say hello."

"Are you sure that's what he wants to do?"

John just laughed as he led Michelle down the hall and into the living room where Rudy waited, his enthusiasm noticeable. Michelle finally relented and ruffled his head.

"Rudy, sit," John said before Rudy knocked over their guest. "Dinner is ready," John said to Michelle.

Dinner was pleasant. Both of them agreed that talk about 'work' could wait until after eating.

~~~ [time] ~~~

After dinner, Michelle and John moved into the living room to enjoy an after dinner drink. Michelle had a scotch on the rocks, while John had his beer. Once Michelle was settled on the couch, her feet drawn up under her, she looked at John over her glass.

"I found someone who could translate those instructions. It was Latin, just as I thought and they are very detailed."

"Really?"

"Yes indeed. In fact, I could have cobbled together a mockup of the device they describe if I had the time."

"Is that wise?"

"I don't know. I did draw what it would look like," Michelle said handing him a piece of paper.

"So how big is it?" John asked taking the drawing from her. "I mean it must be monstrous."

"Not at all, as a matter of fact, it's very small," said Michelle smugly.

"It is?" John queried with astonishment. "How small is it?"

"About the size of a gaming console," Michelle told him.

"A what?"

"You know those consoles you hook up to your television to play video games?"

"Ah, never paid attention to those."

"Or a TV, I see," Michelle joked looking around the living room for the mentioned device.

"It's about five by six inches, and an inch thick," Michelle described, waving her hands to show him the dimensions.

"I wonder if maybe you put the... "

"Put what... "

"Nothing, nothing at all," John stammered

"What are you holding back John?"

"Michelle, I can't tell you, daren't tell you. It's for your own safety you don't know just yet. Trust me, please."

"Oh all right, but you better tell me when... "

"I will. Now, how about we get to bed so we can start out early tomorrow?"

"Sure, but first, freshen up my drink, while I use the bathroom."

"Of course," John smiled at her as he headed to the kitchen and she headed upstairs.

~~~ [time] ~~~

John and Michelle are in the barn, saddling horses, as the sun broke over the horizon flooding the barn with a soft red glow. Michelle was in a good mood as was John. Rudy was pacing back and forth just outside the barn, showing his eagerness to get going. John and Michelle lead the horses out of the barn and tying them up to the fence of the corral. John picked up a soft-sided cooler and attached it to the back of his saddle. He then attached a picnic basket to Michelle's pinto and they are ready to head out for their ride.

"What a gorgeous morning," Michelle whispered in the stillness broken only by the whinny of the horses left in the barn.

"It is," answered John, climbing into the saddle of his gelding.

"Oh," Michelle chirped, hurrying to mount up.

"Ready," John said smiling at the petite redhead.

"You bet," Michelle replied as her pinto circled as she pulled the reins so it was headed down the trail.

John nodded and gave the gelding a soft nudge with the heels of his boots. The horse started slowly as John had the reins pulled back slightly. Michelle gave the pinto a slap with the reins causing the little horse to leap forward. Michelle was giggling as she passed John at the gallop. John kicked the chestnut, urging it into a gallop. He catches up with the pinto easily as it had already pulled back into a trot. John pulled up alongside Michelle as both horses slow to a walk.

"There that's better. We have plenty of time, no need to tire the horses out before our stop for lunch," John told Michelle.

"Okay, boss," she quipped back.

John just laughed as they watch the sunrise in the eastern sky.

Chapter 18

For the next two hours, the pair just enjoyed the countryside and each other as they ride. Not many words are spoken, just the occasional query about the other noticing a particular plant or insect or cloud formation. As they ride, Rudy casts to and fro across the trail they are following, constantly sniffing the air and the ground in his eternal quest to know everything about everywhere.

Then as their horses climb a particular hill, steeper than most, John halted them at the top. Michelle's mount stopped alongside him. John looked over at Michelle, pointing behind them. Turning in her saddle Michelle gasped when she beheld the sight displayed before her. Both of them turn their horses around and stare.

"I didn't know you could get this high above the city," Michelle said.

"It's deceiving because the Interstate cuts through the ridge there, see? Here we are on top and get to see the beauty that is our home. Plus we have been going uphill for the last hour or so."

"It is beautiful," Michelle whispered.

"Yes, it is," replied John.

Rudy sat to the side as Michelle and John gazed at the valley below. Michelle sighed several times as the shadows of clouds passed over the valley.

"So peaceful, yet it harbors a killer of young women," Michelle blurted.

"It does," John said, "yet it still is beautiful."

"It is."

Both just sit upon their mounts taking in the beauty of Valley City spread out below them.

"Are you hungry yet?" John asked.

"Not really. It's only," said Michelle looking at her watch, "ten, we could ride a couple of more hours, if you would like?"

"That would be perfect. About an hour up the trail is a perfect spot for a picnic."

"Good, then lead the way," Michelle giggled.

~~~ [time] ~~~

An hour and a half later, John stopped. They are in a small field of green grass alongside which ran a small stream. Just off to the left was a giant oak tree, providing them a shady spot in which to set up their picnic. Dismounting, John waited for Michelle to slip out of the saddle. Taking her reins from her, John led the two horses to the stream and let them drink their fill.

1...34567...15