Windswept Ch. 04

Story Info
Their first encounter with Harlem.
4.8k words
4.69
12k
9

Part 4 of the 7 part series

Updated 09/22/2022
Created 06/02/2012
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Thanks to my editors cannd and HellsBells1890. The story is THAT much awesomer.

***

It took Ryder a while to explain to Angel that they couldn't "fly" to heaven. There were protocols and parameters that needed to be followed to a tee. He sent Tenner off to get subway tickets for them while he got Angel dressed.

Despite her attempts to appear ok, Ryder noticed the dark circles beginning to form under her eyes. She'd been through a hell of a lot in the past... he looked at the sky -- twelve hours. He stopped in the middle of brushing Angel's hair out with his fingers. Twelve hours. He'd saved her life twice and fucked her once in twelve hours.

Angel turned, fixing her deep purple eyes on him. "What's wrong?"

He shook his head. "Nothing, love. Just thinking about how busy you keep me."

She grinned, rolling her eyes. He watched as she picked up his coat, and, wrapping it around her shoulders, walked around the perimeter of the roof, gazing at the New York skyline. He kept one eye on her, attentive to how close she was to the edge, while he folded the blankets and fit them into a green messenger bag he then slung over his shoulder.

He felt Tenner approaching, but he heard Angel before he could call out a warning. "Oh my God!" she cried, half-falling, half-stepping away from the edge of the roof. "Watch where you're flying!" Tenner landed in a rush of wings inches from her face, stumbling back when he saw her. His legs hit the edge and he staggered for a minute before catching his balance. Planting his feet firmly on the roof, he turned to Ryder.

"That girl," he said, pointing at Angel, "is going to be trouble. I can already tell. She's that type. Your type. I.E. fucking dangerous."

Before Ryder could answer, Angel said dryly, "And you're the epitome of grace and vigilance, right?"

Tenner spun, looking the girl up and down. He glanced back at Ryder. "She's sarcastic too. Perfect. You planning to oust me from that position, too?"

"Afraid of a little competition, bird-boy?"

Ryder looked from Tenner to Angel and burst out laughing. Tenner's feathers were ruffled, his eyes wide open, his whole attitude screaming that he was ready for a fight. Angel, on the other hand, was watching him from under lidded eyes, wrapped in Ryder's coat, which was at least four sizes too big for her. She had to be three inches shorter than Tenner, and at least fifty pounds lighter. He shook his head.

"Bird-boy?" Tenner sputtered. "I'm not a bird!"

"All right, all right, you two," Ryder said, stepping in between them. "We're on the same side."

Tenner pointed at Angel again. "Tell her to stop insulting me!"

Angel rose to the bait. "Tell him to stop talking about me like I'm not here!"

Ryder sighed. Moving quickly, he got Tenner in a headlock and Angel over his shoulder in a fireman's carry. She pounded on his back, but he barely felt it. "Now," he said. "Listen. We're going to get along, right? We're all mature enough for that. Right?"

Neither Tenner nor Angel spoke. Ryder settled in, planning to hold them there for a while.

"Fine," Angel finally said. "I'm sorry. I'll behave."

Ryder let her down, but she stayed by his side, wrapping and arm around his waist. "So, what's bird-boy called, anyway?"

Tenner sputtered, and Ryder shot her a look. She threw her hands up. "Sorry, sorry, couldn't help it." She smiled.

Ryder turned to Tenner. "How about you?"

"What she said," he said into Ryder's arm. Ryder let him go. "Ok, Tenner, do you have the..." he stopped when Angel slid the tickets into his hand.

"Let's get going, huh?"

Tenner opened his mouth, feeling around inside his coat. "How did you... Ryder," he said, "you got yourself a pickpocket? Really?"

Ryder smiled uneasily. Angel shouldn't have been able to do that to an angel, even a novice like Tenner. Their nervous systems were always on hyper-alert. For not the first time, he wondered exactly how he had affected Angel.

"Earth to Blondie. We gonna get going, or just stand here and gawk at the big ball of gases called the sun?"

Tenner's voice was playful, as always, but he could feel that something was wrong. Ryder nodded. "Right, we should." He glanced at Tenner's wingspan. "You should put those away. We'll be walking."

"But we flew here," Angel protested. "Why can't we fly back?"

Ryder started walking toward the door that was in the middle of the roof. "We can walk and talk." He held the door open for Angel and Tenner, and they started walking single-file down the spiral staircase.

"Don't get me wrong," Ryder said through clenched teeth. "We'd rather fly, trust me." He forced himself to breathe shallowly and evenly. Without looking, he knew that Tenner, less experienced with the mortal world than him, was having more trouble with the enclosed space. The younger man kept his hand pressed against the wall, as if to assure himself that it wasn't going to move in on him.

Angel opened her mouth, but Ryder wasn't finished. "When we're alone, we're cloaked, in a way. People don't want to see a bunch of angels flying around, so they don't. With passengers, though, it's different. It's too hard not to see three people zipping around in the sky."

Ryder looked down, relieved to see that the bottom of the staircase was nearing. "So we walk. Public transportation isn't as bad as it's cracked up to be. Except you humans have a damn annoying affinity for tight, closed spaces."

The staircase opened up into a hallway. Angel looked around, recognizing the familiarity of brass numbers on doors. They had landed on the roof of an apartment building, which by the looks of it, wasn't exactly the Hilton.

Ryder eyed the number above the elevator. "Nine floors," he said. "We can manage nine floors."

Tenner turned the color of snow and swallowed. Ryder put a comforting hand on his shoulder and said, "It'll be better. There's more space."

Nine sets of stairs later, Tenner let out a whoop and rushed out the double-doors. He jumped about three feet in the air, sucking in the smog-filled air. Ryder controlled himself a bit more, but even he couldn't resist breathing deeply once he was outside the four walls.

People streamed past the trio, barely seeing them or ignoring them completely. For once, Angel felt back in her element. The streets were her home, and the crowds were comforting in a strange way.

"This way," Tenner said, glancing to the left and the right before stepping into the street. Ryder and Angel followed him, Ryder's arm around her shoulders to make sure she didn't fall behind. She found his concern almost amusing. She'd grown up on these streets. Of all of them, she was probably the safest.

Tenner wove through the pedestrians with an uncanny ease that Ryder matched. No one paid any attention to the two tall men, one of whom's hair was the color of fire. Angel was finally able to get a good look at Tenner, and although he wasn't bad to look at, he didn't have Ryder's presence. Tenner flitted; Ryder just was.

They reached the steps that led underground to the subway. Very few words were exchanged between Tenner and the ticket master, but when Ryder and Angel walked by, his eyes had a glazed look.

Ryder squeezed Angel's shoulder. "Tenner's covering our trail. That man won't remember us, if anyone asks." At her expression, he added, "He wasn't hurt."

They'd cut it very close. The bus pulled in almost as soon as Ryder had closed his mouth. Angel hung onto him as they boarded the bus, not very eager to be separated for her protector for any amount of time. The way she attached herself to him almost made him smile, but he was worried. Other than Jordan, a daemon had yet to show its face. Despite this, Ryder refused to be lulled into a sense of false security.

The doors slid shut behind them, and the bus lurched into motion. Angel took a seat and Ryder and Tenner stood on either side of her, eyeing the passengers of their car with evident distrust. Angel watched the people around her, too, but with more curiosity than anything else.

Her eyes roamed and eventually came to rest on a man across and a little to the left of them. He was handsome, but in a disturbing way. In many ways, he was the opposite of Ryder. His eyes and hair were dark brown, his face drawn around the eyes and mouth in tight lines. As she studied him, his eyes flickered over to her. A disgusted shiver went up her spine as his gaze started at her feet and traveled up her body slowly, clearly taking his time and not worried about being caught. When he got to her face, the corner of his mouth twisted into a sick smile. She recoiled involuntarily.

Ryder felt Angel move. He looked down at her, and then followed her gaze. When he laid eyes on the dark stranger, he hissed, moving in front of Angel. The man's smirk became wider. "The warmth in your greeting overwhelms me." He paused, letting his eyes dance back to Angel. "You haven't introduced me to your pretty friend here, Ryder."

Ryder hissed again, and Tenner looked at him worriedly. "You're not going to get her," he growled. "You won't win this one."

The man laughed quietly. "You can stand down, boy. I'm not going to attempt anything in front of all these people."

Tenner glanced at Ryder again, and then back to the man. "You might not, Harlem, but I wouldn't put it past Blondie here. I wouldn't instigate him if I were you, unless you wanted to go back to Hell in a body-bag."

Something flashed in Harlem's eyes, and his lip curled into a snarl. "You presumptuous brat," he hissed. "If you think that..."

Ryder took a step forward and Harlem stopped. "For all our sakes," he said, "I will not cause a scene." A slow smile spread across his face as the subway came to a screeching halt. Ryder pulled Angel to her feet, putting her between himself and Tenner as they escorted her off the car and out of the terminal. A quick glance behind them told her that Harlem was following them.

"Ryder," she began quietly.

He threw her a glance that made a cold spot materialize in her chest. His eyes, normally soft, were hard and furious, showing a steeliness she hadn't seen before. She shrank away from him reflexively, even though she knew the look wasn't aimed at her. "I know," he said gruffly. His grip on her arm softened slightly, but he was still firm as he and Tenner led her down one street after another. She quickly gave up trying to keep track of where they were, or where they had been.

Tenner stopped suddenly in front of a weathered looking home, looking at it curiously. Some of the tension on his face eased. "Here we are, kids. In you go, hop to it." He opened the door and ushered Ryder and Angel inside, but instead of stepping into an entryway, Angel found herself looking at the inside of the biggest elevator she'd ever seen. The ceiling rose at least ten feet above her. The walls, painted white, were at least seven feet wide on each side. A silver railing ran around three of the walls at waist level. One wall also had a panel of buttons that flashed intermittently, as well as the door.

As Tenner closed the door, Angel caught a glimpse of the black-clad man standing in the street, just watching them. When the door clicked into place, Tenner went over to the control panel and pressed a few of the flashing buttons, swearing when his fingers fumbled. Finally, he stepped back, and the elevator jerked into motion.

Tenner looked at Angel and then at Ryder. He sighed. "That was Harlem, Angel. You didn't hear it from me, but he's Michael's little brother. He's caused more than his fair share of conflict, up and downstairs." His eyes flickered to Ryder again. "Don't ask me how it all works out. Apparently Harlem's been put in charge of, erm, locating you."

Angel felt Ryder's arm hold her tightly to him. "He's a bit of a badass, if you'll pardon my French," Tenner continued. He smirked indelicately. "Then again, so is Blondie here." Angel met his eyes, the humor there making her relax a little bit. "Don't worry, doll. You're safe with us."

With that, Tenner stretched out on the floor of the elevator, interlacing his fingers behind his head. Beside her, Ryder moved to do the same. At her questioning glance, he managed a small smile. It was barely a tweak of his mouth and a light in his eyes, but she felt relieved anyway. An angry Ryder was a frightening thing.

"It's going to take a while," he said, then pulled her down next to him. Offering no other explanation, he lay on his back and moved Angel's head onto his chest. His hand rested lightly on her stomach. "It's as good a time as any to catch up on rest," he said.

Like the last time he'd mentioned sleep, Angel felt her eyes closing.

***

She awoke more suddenly this time, when the elevator came to a halt. With a twinge of self-consciousness, she realized that both Ryder and Tenner were awake and standing. Ryder reached out a hand and helped her to her feet. He pushed a stray lock of hair from her face. "We're here."

"Heaven?"

Ryder's grin was more prominent this time. "The one and only."

The elevator door opened then. Ryder took her by the hand. "Come on, Jenna."

He led her outside, and she gasped.

It was so... so big. Everything. The buildings on either side of the street rose two or three times as high as the skyscrapers in New York that she was used to. They were made of some sort of reddish granite, sparkling in the sun. She shielded her eyes. The sun was brighter here.

She continued looking, though. A single building stretched the length of a few city blocks, with doors at least ten feet tall and half that wide. She felt her mouth hanging open a little. "It's all so... big?" she said is an awed voice.

Ryder chuckled. "I told you. We don't like confined spaces."

Tenner stepped out next to them. His smile was friendly. "Come on, you two. Stop gawking. You look like bloody tourists."

Angel smiled. "Well, I am," she said sweetly, directing her smile at Tenner.

He just shook his head, although he couldn't hide the grin that popped onto his face. He pointed down the main street, which was the only normal-sized thing Angel could see. "We go thatta-way."

***

After what seemed like hours of walking, but couldn't have been more than twenty minutes, Tenner stopped in front of a building. Angel looked it over, noticing the little things that made it different. IT had to cover two or three acres in its entirety, and it was separated slightly from the rest of the buildings. Tenner pushed open the front door, and they stepped inside.

The ceiling rose fifteen feet or so, implying there was more than just that one level. Angel realized they'd walked into a giant foyer, or entryway. Passages led off in all directions, winding around until they disappeared into their own pale red curves.

Without hesitation, Tenner chose a passage and strode off confidently. Ryder and Angel followed him, the former slightly amused by the sheer look of amazement on Angel's face.

Then again, he thought wryly, t's Heaven.

Angel chuckled. "It's Heaven," she said. "I'm in Heaven."

After the fifth or sixth turn, Angel quit trying to keep track of the path they were following. Not long after that, Tenner stopped in front of a door made of the same pale red granite. He made a mock bow, gesturing at the door. "Your quarters, milord, milady."

He laughed, pushing open the door. Angel walked through the doorway, but turned when she heard Ryder's voice. "When do you think?"

Tenner shrugged. "No more than a few days. The summons was urgent."

Ryder caught Angel's eye and winked. "When Michael wants to see us," he explained. His eyes flickered over her clothing. "And under what conditions."

Angel tapped her foot impatiently. "Well? What are you waiting for?"

Ryder and Tenner looked at each other, and then back at Angel. "You don't go see Michael dressed like, um, that," Ryder said delicately.

She just looked at him. "And besides," Ryder continued, "we can't just walk in. We wait for a summons. When he's ready to see us, he'll let us know."

"So we sit around and wait for him?"

Ryder's lips curved into a grin. Well, we don't have to sit, he thought. His eyes traveled Angel's figure, feeling himself grow aroused simply by looking at her.

"What do you mean, 'we don't have to sit'?" Angel demanded. Her violet eyes blazed. Tenner took an involuntary step back, then paused.

"You didn't say..."

"I know." Ryder felt a shiver go through his body. "Jenna, I didn't say anything about sitting," he said carefully.

She tossed her head. "Yeah, you did. I heard you."

Ryder put a hand on her arm. "I didn't say it. I thought it."

Angel's eyes went wide. "I... but... I... you..."

"I told you the more time you spent with me, the faster your abilities would develop."

Tenner coughed. "I have a feeling this, uh, development will get us in to see Michael faster."

Ryder nodded, and Tenner left. As soon as he was gone, he felt Angel start to shake. "I heard your thought," she whispered. "That's not normal, Ryder."

With a sigh, he swept her up into his arms and carried her to the bathroom. She let out a small squeak, but she didn't protest. She was too confused about what was going on.

Like the rest of the structures in Heaven, the bathroom was spacious, almost to the point of being cavernous. The ceiling rose twenty or thirty feet above them, it and the walls were painted a soft white that she almost didn't notice. The sinks, shower, toilet, and a bathtub that looked like it could hold fifteen people were all against a wall, leaving a rectangle of space in the middle of the room the size of four or five wrestling mats. Angel looked around in wonder. She'd seen libraries you could get lost in, but never a bathroom.

Ryder set her on the edge of the tub and started the water. It instantly formed bubbles. She opened her mouth to say that she didn't need a bath, but Ryder anticipated that. "Jenna, you're going to meet Michael. You know. Michael the Archangel. The one I told you about with the white wings that your kind bases their idea of us on. You're not going to go see him with blood matted in your hair."

He stripped her down with quick efficiency, folding her clothes into a pile beside the tub. He tested the water with a finger, and then he helped her into it. With a groan of contentment, she slipped in up to her chin, closing her eyes. It wasn't until she felt Ryder's arm around her waist, pulling her toward him, that she realized he'd joined her in the water. She stiffened. Their rendezvous on the rooftop was one thing. She hadn't planned on being naked with him again... period. End of story. She'd hoped to get some normalcy back in her life, and that didn't involve Mr. Ryder, Guardian Angel.

Ryder felt her tense, and reluctantly, he withdrew his arm. "I'm not going to hurt you, Jenna."

His kind voice finished her. With a strangled sob, she started crying, crossing her arms on her knees and hiding her face. Her sobs racked her whole body, causing the water around her to ripple. In a moment, Ryder was at her side. He gently turned her so that she was crying into his shoulder. With every sound, his eyes hardened. More than anything, he wanted this girl to be comfortable with him, to feel for him what he was feeling for her.

Angel's voice brought him out of his thoughts. "Why weren't you there?" she asked her voice soft, vulnerable. "When Whit..." she choked back another sob. "When Whit was doing those things to me. Why weren't you there?"

Her voice tore into his heart. He felt tears coming to his own eyes, and he angrily blinked them away. He breathed out, still holding Angel close to his chest. When he spoke, she felt the vibrations all through her body.

"Your life wasn't in danger, so Michael wouldn't let me leave. I tried, you have to believe that. I tried to convince him that someone was hurting you. I could feel it, but he wouldn't let me leave, because he wasn't going to kill you."

12