Winter in the Mountains Ch. 10

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

A herald came forth and proclaimed in a poetic form an odyssey, the story of our mission. I was glad to hear that I was mentioned a few times in the story – for healing Drowsy, for killing the assassin, and for co-ordinating the final battle. I looked around as he was telling the story, and found Holly, as part of the King's court. I also spotted the old healer who had prepared me for the trip, amongst a group who were quite obviously the families – they were waving to the men, and the wives were holding the small children back. How cruel, but King's and their ceremonies must come first. It gave me a real thrill to know that there was someone waiting for me, even if I had no family.

Finally the herald finished his odyssey, and the awards began. The King started with awards for each of the men that had died, and spoke of their achievements. Then he gave each of the squad a Hero Badge, the highest award that could be given. It made me so proud when Scar went up and the King shook his hand. It made me realise how far I had come in my new life.

Finally it was the captain's turn. There was no badge for him, he had already received it before. He knelt before the King, who simply said that he had once again saved the land, and thanked him on behalf of the people. The captain turned and spoke to the people. He praised each of the men on his squad, both the living and the dead, and even me, and thanked us for serving with him. Then he repeated the speech that he gave us on the pass, the one that had stirred us so. Although it wasn't the same, it was still completely amazing, and when every single person in the square joined in the final refrain my hair stood on end.

Finally, he finished with an appeal, now that the enemy was choosing a new King, for us to pull back and try to make peace with the enemy before a new enemy king that didn't make the same mistakes as the old one destroyed us in battle. There was a sudden hush. I could see that this was very unpopular, particularly with the King.

The captain ignored this. He summoned me to the stage, and introduced me to the King. I put my face to the ground before him, and when I stood, he shook my hand. The captain spoke loudly, so that all could hear. He very quickly told my story, how he had taken me from prison to serve, how I'd saved their lives by healing them, and looked after them, killed the assassin, and co-ordinated the battle. Nothing that the herald hadn't already said except for my background. Finally, he asked that the King dismiss my remaining sentence and let me go free.

Suddenly I was nervous. The King's views on the sex and seed trade, though hypocritical, were widely shared. And female healers weren't always popular either, many people thought that only men could do it properly.

The King looked at me, sizing me up.

Very quietly he spoke, so that only the captain and I could hear. "Were you a prostitute to these men?"

I looked him in the eyes and replied quietly. "I looked after them. If they needed it, I gave them all that I had. But I took nothing for it, nor will I accept anything now".

He smiled. I appeared to have passed a test. "And I believe that it's really your magic that saved my kingdom?"

Startled, I looked at the captain, standing next to me, who nodded. I turned back to the King and nodded, "I did what I had to. I hope I am never that desperate again."

He stood back from me. He gestured to a Lord standing near him, and spoke loudly. "Lord Eastland, what was this woman's sentence?"

He answered immediately. "Six months in jail, and a tattoo on her forehead, my Lord."

The tattoo – I'd forgotten about that. My heart fell.

"I take it that you'd rather not have the tattoo now?" the King asked me.

I shook my head. There was no way that I would take that now. I could feel the concern radiating from the captain. This was going badly.

"Well, you have given this land a great service, but justice must be done. Perhaps we should trade, you can have more time "on the King's ticket" instead of the tattoo?"

I didn't know what to say. I didn't want either, and this was most unfair after all that I had given for this mission. I suddenly became aware of the absolute silence around us, as everyone waited for the King's decision.

He smiled, and spoke loudly. "Yes, I decree another three years living at the expense of the King."

I tried to control my gathering anger. After all that had happened, now this?

"The only question that remains is where?"

Somehow I knew that everything hung on the King's next words. What did he have in mind for me?

"I think that rather than put you in prison, or guard you, I can trust you to do your time at the healer's school."

I lowered my face to the ground in obedience, and turned to look at Scar, who gave me a big smile. Three years, but it would be worth it. The King had made my decision, and he would even pay: I was going to Healer's school. It would be a long wait, but the time would fly, because I would love Scar forever.

12