Within Pt. 04

Story Info
Isabelle searches for a way to free Alasdair.
7.5k words
4.88
6.1k
13

Part 4 of the 5 part series

Updated 06/08/2023
Created 02/16/2018
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

The next morning Isabelle was at the book store before it opened, waiting to accost Bernie before he could get wrapped up in anything and try to dodge her questions.

"Isabelle," he greeted her warmly. "Did everything go well last night?"

"Sort of." She stood up from the bench that was just outside the front door of the store. "I need to talk to you."

He unlocked the door and ushered her ahead of him. "Is something wrong?"

"I'm not sure yet. I have to go see my doctor first."

"Doctor?" He smiled and moved to take her hands. "So it's true then?"

She shrugged absentmindedly, still in a daze from the queen's revelation. "Wait." Her hands tightened on his. "Did she tell you?"

"Lock the door dear. We should talk."

"I'll say." She flipped the deadbolt and then followed him to the back office. "Bernie, what's going on?"

"Have you figured out how to open it?" He waved at the chair in front of the desk. She sat down quickly.

"I didn't get a chance to look at it. I was a little busy," she murmured.

"Yes, I suppose you would have been." He patted her shoulder.

She watched him walk around the desk. "How do you know the queen?"

He smiled and looked at her for a moment. "I suppose you do have a right to the whole story." She sat quietly as he took off his jacket. "I'm sorry I've had to lie to you but not many humans can be trusted with the truth."

"The truth about what?" Her eyes went wide as he seemed to expand in front of her. "What the hell?" His posture straightened, he seemed to grow six inches taller and twenty years younger.

His hands moved to the buttons on his shirt, he shrugged it off his shoulders and let it fall to his waist. He turned in the cramped little room to show her what he'd been hiding.

Silvery gray wings were folded and tucked against his back.

"Holy shit! You're one of them," she breathed.

"Not quite," he said while pulling his shirt back into place. "I'm half faerie." He turned back to her buttoning up his shirt. "My father was human."

She breathed a little sigh of relief. "So it is possible to have a healthy baby."

Bernie transformed back into the form she was used to and took a seat at the desk. "From what I've been told there aren't many of us, kind of a rarity, but yes."

"I don't understand." She sat forward in her seat. "Alasdair got the witches daughter pregnant and now possibly me. Who know how many more women he was successful with."


"You're the only one that the queen is aware of and you can trust that she would know how many grandchildren she has out there." He shook his head. "That girl was already pregnant when she met Alasdair. Are you alright?" She'd gone pale as he spoke.

"You said grandchildren," she whispered.

"He didn't tell you?"

"That he's a prince? Uh no. I'm pretty sure I would remember if he had." She ran her hands through her hair. "Will you please tell me what's going on?"

"I assume he told you how he came to be trapped in the book?" She nodded. "Well the truth was, like I said, that girl was already pregnant. She was probably looking for a way to trap the poor boy into something but he'd already gone before she could put any plans in motion. Before anyone could get to her mother and explain what had happened it was too late. She wouldn't listen to reason, the book was gone, sold to a lord passing through the village. He, after discovering the true contents, gave it to a rival lord as a gift." His hands waved back and forth as he spoke. "We did manage to get the amulet though. The queen has had it all this time. You brought it with you?"

"Of course." She nodded at her backpack where she had set it on the floor next to the desk. "So the book disappeared?"

"Yes, passed from owner to owner till I tracked it down in Germany a few hundred years ago. I've been holding onto it for safe keeping ever since."


"Until you sold it to me. Clearly that wasn't an accident." He smiled. "So what was it then?"

"No one has found a way to open the amulet so it's been suggested that it might require something more."

"Something more?" She tilted her head. He tapped his chest softly. She stood up quickly. "What's wrong with you people? You can't just put a book in front of someone and expect them to fall in love."

Except that they had and you did. She thought with a little shake of her head.

"We didn't expect anything. But I sure as hell hoped," Bernie said.

"Why?" She wiped at her eyes. "So I can end up alone again? That's just cruel."

He came around the desk to take her shoulders in his hands. "That was never my intention." He rubbed gently, bending his knees to look at her straight on. "How long have you known me?"


"Six years."

"And have you ever known me to be cruel to anyone?"

"No," she mumbled. "But it looks like I haven't really known you after all."

"I'm still the same person I was yesterday, just with a more interesting heritage." She snorted softly. "The only thing I was hoping for was that you'd find some happiness. I saw what losing John did to you." He pulled her into his arms.

"But what am I supposed to do now? I may be pregnant and if I can free him I wouldn't expect him to stay with me. I'll be alone again, with a baby."

"Hey." His hands rubbed her back. "Even if that does happen, which I doubt, you'll never be alone."

"Thank you." She sniffed softly.

"Do you want to have a look at the amulet with me?"

She nodded and bent to grab her backpack off the floor. She pulled the silver disc out of the front pocket. "Can you read it?"

He took it from her outstretched hand. "I can but I memorized it years ago." He turned it over in his hand. "It says 'That which has been torn asunder by death once reborn is the key.' Do you have the book?" She pulled it out of the bag and laid it next to him on the desk.

"It's literally the square peg in a round hole except the exact opposite," she said quietly. "Do you have any idea how to make it work?"

"We've never found a mechanism to open it. It must need something else, something mystical."

"An incantation?"

"Possibly. We've never found the right one though." He handed the amulet back to her.

"So we're no closer to finding a solution." She slid the book back into the backpack and set the amulet in with it. "I should get going. I have an appointment with the doctor."

"I hope it's good news." He patted her shoulder. "A child is a blessing my dear."

She looked up at him. "Can you do me a favor?" He tilted his head in question. "I've been thinking about it all morning. I want to wait to tell him. If I can figure out that damned amulet and get him out of there I don't want him to feel that he has to stay with me for her."

"Isabelle—"

"He deserves a chance to choose. I won't free him from one prison to force him into another." He opened his mouth to say something. "Please? And can you ask the queen to keep it to herself?"

"Alright." He answered softly. "Will you let me know how it goes?"

"Sure." She smiled. "I'll flip the sign on my way out."

"Thank you dear." He sat down and watched her leave.

******************************************

The doctor confirmed what the queen had implied. She was pregnant.

She did her best to appear calm while he delivered the news and then gave her a referral to an obgyn. Briefly she wondered what her new doctor would say when she saw the wings developing.

Maybe she'll think I was abducted by aliens for genetic testing. Why not? It's just as believable as being knocked up by a faerie.

She sat in her car in front of the doctor's office trying not to burst out laughing for several minutes before she texted Bernie with an update. He replied quickly, congratulating her.

Her laughter died on her lips as she stared at the appointment cards sticking out of her purse. This was real. She had something she'd hoped for but it was all wrong. She was supposed to be married to a wonderful man who would be there with her throughout the process. Not a faerie lover trapped inside a book. What kind of parents could they be?

She rubbed her hands over her belly. "I'm sorry, this isn't going to be easy."

***********************************

Isabelle let out an irritated sigh. She'd had the amulet for a week and still hadn't figured out how to open it. After yet another wasted hour of turning it over in her hands she tossed it into her jewelry box and closed the lid. It was hopeless. She couldn't do it without help.

Once the sun was down she stood looking at the book turning everything over in her mind. She had to let Alasdair know she had the amulet at the very least.

She hadn't wavered from her decision about the baby, if he knew anything that could help and they were successful she would give him the opportunity to choose whether he wanted to go home or stay with her. That was the right thing to do.

She took a shaky breath and ran her hand over the place where their little princess was growing. "I hope he stays," she whispered.

Her fingers traced the divot on the cover, it was so shallow it was hard to believe it was actually a lock and not just an embellishment in the intricate leather work. With another sigh she flipped it open and stood back.

He arrived in seconds. "Hello lass." His rich baritone wrapped her in warmth.

"Hello dream faerie." There was a tiny hitch in her reply.

She only had a moment to take him in, the huge black wings tucked regally behind his shoulders, wide shoulders and chest. Her breath caught as his hands gripped her hips and pulled her against him. She tilted her head to look up at his smile and slid her hands around his waist.

Her hands moved down to tug at the plaid he'd wrapped around his hips. His hands had already pulled her shirt up by the time she'd pulled it loose. She released him to let him pull her shirt off and then backed towards the bed to lie back while he eased her pants off.

Afterward she sprawled across the bed smiling as he dropped down next to her.

"Did you miss me?" She asked softly.

He laughed and took her hand. "Of course. Who else will feed me strawberry ice cream?" He kissed the back of her hand before she could pull it away and give him a playful swat.

"You are such a brat." She crawled over his big body to disappear into the en suite for a few minutes. When she came out she didn't immediately crawl back into bed with him. Instead she stood next to it just looking at him.

"Isabelle, is something wrong?" He sat up and reached for her.

She smiled and stepped back. "You didn't tell me that you're a prince."

"How do you know that?"

"So it's true?"

"Yes. Now you answer my question."

"Bernie told me."

"And how does your boss know about that?"

"He's one of you. Sort of."

"Sort of? A half breed? You know this for certain?"

"I saw his wings." She moved to the dresser, opened the jewelry box and palmed the amulet. "It would have been helpful to know you're royalty when I met your mother."

"You met the queen? Why? When?"

"Yes I met her last week. I have to say you get your looks honestly. She is absolutely stunning."

"Lass, why did you meet her and not tell me?"

"I was afraid of disappointing you."

"Please try making some sense."

"I met the queen to ask her help in setting you free. I know you said she wouldn't be able to and you were right." The words tumbled out in a rush. "She said she didn't have the power to but that I might." She held up the amulet. "Then she gave me this." He stood and took it from her. "I'm sorry, I haven't been able to figure out how to open it."

"It's alright. I've gotten used to the frustration." He turned it over in his hand with a frown then took the chain in his fingers and slipped it over her head letting it rest between her breasts.

"Do you have any clues that might help?"

"Sadly no. The witch wasn't very informative. She was more intent on getting me into the book than explaining how to get out."

"Damn it." She looked down.

"It was kind of you to attempt to help."

Her eyes filled with tears. "It wasn't out of pity." She looked up, resting her hands on his chest. "I just want to set you free." He wiped the tears sneaking down her cheeks with his thumbs then cradled her face in his hands to kiss her. Her hands slipped around his neck.

He reached down to her waist lifting her against his chest as he deepened the kiss. The cool metal of the amulet pressed between them.

It wasn't until he had lifted his lips from hers that either of them noticed the glow emanating from the amulet. A pale green light shone from the center of the disc.

"Do you see that?" She whispered.

"I do." He bent his knees to set her down.

"Don't let me go," she hissed. He straightened quickly. "It's not open." She looked up at him. "What should we do?"

"I don't know. I had no idea it did that."

"Dammit. I don't know what to do."

"We cannot stay like this all night."

"Hey, now is not a good time for comments about my weight." She frowned at him.

"That was not what I was referring to, I assure you," he said with a confused look.

She noticed the beads of sweat forming on his forehead. She'd been so intent on the amulet she hadn't noticed his growing need that was pressed against her.

"Is it bad?" She asked softly.

"It's not unbearable yet but I won't be able to fight it much longer." His voice was strained. "I'm sorry lass but you are naked and in my arms."

"Maybe that's how it's thwarted you in the past. You can't finish whatever it is that it needs because the enchantment gets in the way."

"Isabelle."

"Sorry." She kissed him gently. "Put me down." She flinched as her feet touched the carpet.

The light dimmed a little but it didn't go out. She looked up at him but didn't have a chance to comment on it. He crowded her against the bed forcing her to sit and then scoot back to give him room.

As soon as she stopped and opened her knees he was on her, shoving his shaft into her as far as she could take it.

"By the stars," he swore with a groan, his eyes closed with relief.

She grabbed his head pulling him closer. "Don't you dare say you're sorry."

"Lass." He thrust deep.

"No." She moaned. "Do not apologize for this." She arched under him as he continued to thrust. "We will figure this out."

He kissed her hard as the incessant need to fill her built in his lions. She held onto him through the storm of passion, using his body as a focal point when it threatened to sweep her away.

They moved together letting the pleasure take them, the amulet laid on her chest ignored as the crest of the wave over took them. She pulled her lips away bending under him, her peak twisting her body. He followed her driving his shaft deep and staying there, each pump of his seed lowering the level of pain in his big body till he was left breathless in her arms.

He held himself there, resting his forehead against her neck, smiling as her hands rubbed his back under his wings.

She waited till her heart had almost settled back into a normal rhythm and then looked down.

"It's still glowing," she whispered excitedly.

"What?" He lifted his head to look at her.

Her eyes were wide and she was smiling. "The amulet. It's still glowing." She kissed him.

"Lass, it might not mean anything."

"How can you say that?" She pushed at his shoulder. "You said you'd never seen it do this before. Can you get off me for a minute?" He dropped down on the bed next to her. She hopped out of the bed and marched to the dresser. "I'm going to call Bernie. Maybe he can help."

"Lass." She grabbed her phone. "Isabelle."

"What? There has to be another step. We just need to find it."

"Isabelle stop." Something in the tone of his voice made her look up. "Please." She set the phone down.

"But—"

"Come here." He held out his hand. She came back to the bed and sat next to him. "Before you do anything more you need to think about something." He took her hand. "If you free me I will be called to my realm. It might not be right away but a summons will come and I will not be able to refuse."

"I've thought about that. A lot actually." She squeezed his fingers. "You can't expect me to give up when we might be close, to watch you suffer while I might be able to do something to help."

"It's just pain."

"No, it's your freedom. Your chance at having a life again."

"I told you—"

"You're being punished for a crime that you didn't commit," she said quickly.

"What are you saying lass?"

"Bernie told me the whole story. The witches daughter was already pregnant when you met her." His eyes narrowed. "It wasn't your baby."

"Why has no one ever told me?"

"He didn't say." She brushed her fingers along his jaw. "You're innocent. How can I stand by and watch you being punished for something you didn't do?"

He looked at her, a gut wrenching look of confusion and pain in his eyes. "How could they not tell me?"

"I'm so sorry. I don't know." She got onto her knees to wrap her arms around him. "Maybe they thought it would be easier for you if you believed you were guilty."

"All this time I thought it was my fault." His arms wrapped around her. She stroked his hair, her heart aching from the tears she could feel sliding down her chest.

"We're going to figure this out and then you can go home." She swallowed the tears in her throat. "I'm not giving up okay." He nodded but didn't say anything. "We're getting you out of there." She kissed the top of his head. "I promise."

*************************

It felt like dawn came early that morning, stealing him away before either of them were ready to say goodbye. Not that they had been on any previous morning but that day was especially bad.

Isabelle fell into bed, completely exhausted. She'd spent hours trying to console Alasdair in between bouts of intense sex.

His frustration and anger had been clear every time the spell asserted itself. Although he hadn't turned it on her, he was just as caring as he'd always been, she could see it in his eyes, hear it in his voice.

She rolled onto her side to look at the book. Anger burned in her chest. He was right, someone should have told him the truth a long time ago. Instead they'd let him go on thinking he deserved his imprisonment. She couldn't imagine the weight of that kind of guilt.

"We'll find a way," she whispered.

Hours later she woke to the sound of her phone. Alasdair had eventually relented and let her call Bernie but he hadn't been able to offer anything more. Bernie had texted her to ask if they'd gotten any closer.

No luck so far but it's still glowing. She typed quickly.

That's a good sign.

I'll keep trying.

Okay. Let me know if you need anything.

She flipped the blanket back and swung her legs off the bed to sit up. Her stomach rumbled loudly.

"I'm going, I'm going." She mumbled and placed her hand on her belly. It was a habit she'd developed soon after finding out about the baby. "Mommy isn't doing the best job looking after you so far huh?" She stood, stretched and looked down at her still flat stomach. "I'll do better I promise. I just need to get your daddy out of there."

After a quick breakfast and shower she dressed and moved to the night stand. The book was still open from the previous night.

"What else can I try?" she asked softly. The words on the pages didn't rearrange themselves to reveal the answer, not that she had expected them to, so she turned away with a sigh.

She wandered through the house lost in thought and didn't notice until she was standing in front of the door to John's office. It was in the back of the house where it was always quiet.

It had once been her favorite place to escape to but after he died she could barely bring herself to go near it.

She touched the door gently, closing her eyes against the ache in her chest. Tears slid down her cheeks as she stood there remembering. She rested her forehead against the dark wood, took a breath and opened her eyes. Her gaze fixed on her stomach again and her lips curved in a sad smile.