Without You I Have Nothing Ch. 22

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

The slow creaking of the fan lulled him to sleep.

Noting how the employees were particularly deferential to him, even admiring him, Peter realized the display of his bare back had caused the change. He was no longer a tourist.

Out shopping, Jennifer began to believe that plans were afoot but couldn't decipher the conundrum. She heard Peter talking on his phone in Cantonese in a conversation where he seemed to be accepting directions. Someone was organizing something big. In his typical fashion, Peter was being secretive and she didn't want to spoil his game.

When they sat for coffee, his mind seemed pre-occupied as he wrote notes on serviettes before slipping them into his pocket. At times she gave him an enquiring look, hoping he'd give up the secret but he took no notice, merely giving her a smug smile and at the same time showing her all the love and devotion of a newly married man.

On Wednesday, before Peter left for his daily swim, he snuggled up to Jennifer and kissed her. He whispered in her ear. "Don't waste time this morning as you're having breakfast with my Chinese sisters. They'll be here within the hour to take you off for a day's special shopping. We'll all meet up at 8pm.

"I'll be spending the day with my Chinese father. Enjoy the day, make good use of the credit card and don't worry as you are in safe hands."

Clutching his towel and wearing his robe over his swimmers, he departed, leaving Jennifer lying dazed, trying to absorb his words.

She drifted in and out of sleep until, hearing a polite knock, she hastily leapt out of bed and wrapped a hotel bathrobe around her before opening the door.

There stood Peter's two Chinese sisters smiling broadly.

Jennifer felt embarrassed at the way she looked and suddenly Peter's words became reality, not the dream she thought they were.

"Zǎo shang hǎo, Jennifer," they said in unison as they giggled and each one hugged her before reverting to English.

"Good morning Jennifer," said one of them.

"We thought that Peter would have warned you we were coming but he was probably very excited about spending the day with Father. How are you enjoying Singapore?" the other asked.

Still highly embarrassed, Jennifer explained that Peter did in fact tell her but she thought she was dreaming as tiredness had overwhelmed her. She admitted that she was feeling the humidity.

"Oh we'll fix that for you."

Picking up the phone Lee-Lee ordered two fresh lime and sodas - one with sugar and one without. Within minutes, the drinks arrived and the twins ordered Jennifer to drink both, starting with the unsweetened one.

Sitting on the edge of the bed, Jennifer took a sip and immediately screwed up her face, as the bitter liquid seemed to flood every crevice of her body.

Lu-Lu and Lee-Lee could only laugh as Jennifer struggled to drink the entire glass.

"Now drink the next one." Lee-Lee handed her the sweetened offering.

This proved to be more palatable and Jennifer could feel it refreshing her.

"This will be your drink all day," said Lee-Lee. "It will combat the dehydration and make you feel stronger. Tonight is going to be very special and we want you in good health."

Lu-Lu added her instructions. "We'll wait while you shower and dress and then be on our way as we have a big day planned. Let us know when you're feeling low again from the humidity and we'll rest."

Quickly, Jennifer readied herself and the three were on their way.

Passing Peter on his way back to the room from his swim, Jennifer gave him a quick kiss and couldn't resist waving his credit card under his nose.

"We'll go to The Cold Storage for breakfast then hit the stores!" These were the words as they climbed into a taxi and simply asked for Orchard Road.

The day had started and Jennifer knew it was going to be long, busy and interestingly different.

The first stop after breakfast was with a Chinese seamstress who obviously knew the girls well. When introduced in English, Jennifer found out that this older lady was their aunty who had owned the shop for years. Before she knew it, she was removing her clothes and was standing in her bra and panties.

Tape measures seemed to be everywhere and the seamstress draped an exquisite gold brocade fabric around her as she took Jennifer's measurements for a Cheongsam.

All conversation was in Cantonese. Jennifer agreed with the choice of fabric and style, knowing that all this was part of Peter's planning from the previous days. She didn't understand a word, yet she understood what was happening amidst all the smiling, shouting pandemonium.

Lu-Lu and Lee-Lee must have told Aunty about Jennifer's dehydration as she produced two tall glasses of fresh lime and soda. She insisted that Jennifer sit and drink both in the correct order - sour then sweet.

The two girls picked out the same brocade fabric in red and ordered three dresses.

Jennifer produced Peter's credit card but felt humbled as the twins told her to put it away as Father was paying.

"Now Jennifer, we need shoes and accessories to match the dresses."

Back in her skirt and blouse, Jennifer was ready for the next adventure.

With swatches of fabric in their hands, the girls marched off, determined to make the day a success.

The day was ending when they returned to Raffles. On entering the suite, Jennifer was amazed to see three Cheongsams, one gold and two red, spread across the bed.

"How did these get here?" Jennifer asked Lee-Lee and Lu-Lu in surprise.

"Part of the friendly, smiling service of the East," was the reply. The three girls unpacked their parcels, making sure that everything matched and was ready for the evening's event.

Sitting back with their shoes off, the girls ordered afternoon tea from room service. They chatted about the day and explained to Jennifer the plan for the evening. However their explanation was less than explicit, leaving out some details so as not to spoil the surprise.

Meanwhile Peter had been collected and taken to meet his Chinese Father. He spent the morning telling his father of his life in Australia and of his plans for the future with Jennifer.

His Chinese Father arranged for a tailor to meet with them and make a suit for Peter so he would be a well-dressed businessman at the evening's event.

Knowing his Chinese father's attitude towards money, Peter believed that sometime during the day his father would demand that he account for all the money heaped on him as a reward for saving the four girls in the jungle all those years previously.

A series of Board meetings followed and question followed question on how Peter had spent the money, as he was required to account for every cent. Hisses of approval met his explanation of how he had increased the amount by 40%. The meetings and questioning were thorough without considering all the financial statements he had supplied on a regular basis.

The day of meetings was finally finished. It was time for Peter and his Father to get ready for the evening. He was most anxious to meet Jennifer again.

In a parlour off the Ballroom of the Raffles Hotel, Peter was waiting patiently until Jennifer stood in the doorway. He felt his heart leap.

Dressed in a golden Cheongsam with its Dragon and Phoenix pattern, she was so beautiful. The Mandarin collar, the half back of the dress clinging to her body with the slit up to her thighs, emphasized her figure. Her red hair hung down to her shoulders and she radiated her love for him.

He took her by the shoulders rotating her so he could view her beauty.

"I knew my frog made a good Prince Charming. I must get the name of your tailor." Jennifer commented as she turned him around.

"Did the girls tell you what's happening tonight?" Peter inquired.

"They told me the basics saying it was an important evening with your Father."

The sound of the door opening and a voice from behind, asking them to follow interrupted any further conversation. Peter slipped her arm through his and patiently followed the concierge to the entrance of the ballroom.

Pausing, Jennifer was astounded to see hundreds of Chinese standing to welcome them. Her eyes opened wide as she saw a semi-circle that included her mother, her father, her brother, the twins and a tall imposing Chinese man with a tiny attractive woman beside him - obviously his wife.

The M.C. began speaking and Peter bent closer to whisper, "He's welcoming us in Mandarin. Next, he'll use Cantonese and then he'll repeat the welcome in English. This is your Chinese wedding reception, so enjoy."

To the left of the doorway was a table on which stood a huge wedding photograph of them. Around the borders of the photograph were hundreds of Chinese signatures. Behind the table stood a red heart-shaped box with a slit at the top.

"This is where the Ang Pows from the guests are placed," Peter explained. "We'll donate the money to charity."

"... Mr. and Mrs. Peter O'Brien." The M.C. seemed to have finished.

Holding Jennifer's hand tightly, Peter moved onto the stage with her while cheers and shouts rang out around them.

The M.C. handed Peter the microphone and he responded with the Cantonese sibilants rolling so easily off his tongue. In each of the languages he repeated the words, "My wife and I thank you all for accepting us as part of your family. To be in this circle of love with family and so many friends makes this a truly memorable occasion. Again I say thank you."

Peter tried to hand the microphone back to the M.C. but a small hand reached out and took possession of it. Jennifer, with a beaming smile and tears of joy at seeing her family in this unusual situation, quietly added, "My husband spoke for us but I feel so overwhelmed with your love for us that I, also, must thank you. To Lee-Lee and Lu-Lu, I express my gratitude for helping me spend Peter's money on dresses, and of course for the fresh lime sodas."

Her brief words caused gales of laughter.

Then the people in the circle of love moved forward to hug and congratulate the couple.

Jennifer and Peter warmly greeted her parents and Andrew, who was very pleased to tell her they had seen the two of them in the streets and had to hide so they wouldn't spoil the surprise.

Peter's Chinese Father swooped on Jennifer. Behind him, was his wife listening and smiling as he spoke.

"Ah, at last we meet you! Congratulations Jennifer, you have tamed The Little One."

He turned his attention to Peter.

"Peter, if you don't mind I'll forget the Asian way and do the Australian thing." Without waiting for an answer, he hugged Jennifer and kissed her on the cheek.

"My daughters told me you were beautiful, but my girl, words can't describe your beauty. Thank you, my dear, for taming this man to whom we owe such a debt but perhaps you already know."

He introduced his wife. The Chinese and Australian parents sat on either side of Jennifer and Peter. There was no hint of uneasiness with the language barrier.

Jennifer noticed that Andrew sat between the twins. She knew they would keep him in control.

"Peter you never cease to amaze me. How did you keep such a secret of my family being here in Singapore?" Jennifer stared into his eyes and all he could do was laugh and lean forward for a kiss.

"Don't blame me. My fathers arranged this long before our Australian wedding. The Chinese and Tamil sides of my family did all the preparations. So pleased are they with our marriage they insisted on paying all expenses. Your family left on the flight after ours and have been the guests of my Chinese family."

Realizing Peter had let something slip, Jennifer grinned. She instantly realized that there would be a special occasion with Peter's Tamil family and she looked forward to being in KL.

In front of Peter was the usual plate of chilies, and Jennifer surprised everyone by delicately selecting a small piece and swallowing it. She smiled to herself, knowing that Peter had taught her the art of chili eating so her mouth was not on fire.

The twenty-course banquet was exquisite, and when Jennifer proved her dexterity with chopsticks Peter's father remarked, "Peter's taught you well."

He looked at Peter, still receiving congratulations from the guests. "You've lost none of your Cantonese, I notice, Peter" he commented wryly after Peter had spoken with person after person who arrived at the table to congratulate them.

Whenever people arrived at the table armed with a drink in hand, Peter stood, touched their glass with his and shouted, "Yam Seng!"

Jennifer noted that Peter only sipped his drink while the other person drained their glass. She was amazed at the number of Yam Sengs proposed and drunk.

Her father danced with her and proudly bent to tell her that she looked radiant and extremely happy. Excitedly, he continued to explain the way they had arrived in Singapore. He added how impressed he was by the extent of the hospitality showed them.

Dancing with her new Chinese father-in-law was different, as he wanted to compliment her on her beauty and her acceptance of the Chinese customs and behavior.

Even Andrew was subdued, but he only danced once with his sister. The remainder of the evening he spent dancing with the twins.

Elizabeth took time to take her daughter aside. She discussed the whirlwind that had taken over the family's lives since the wedding. She mentioned that they had learned to eat with their right hand and that her ability with chopsticks had improved.

Knowing that another piece of the jigsaw that formed Peter's plans had fallen into place, Jennifer made no comment but listened attentively while watching Peter dance with his sisters.

During the evening, Jennifer found herself in the powder room with the twins who were eager to tell their story.

"Has Peter told you of the floggings he took for stealing food for us? Did you know we were both madly in love with him because he saved our lives and we wanted him to marry both of us? Do you know...?" The stories seemed endless.

Later, on the dance floor Jennifer's jewellery flashed almost as much as her eyes, and Peter knew every man present envied him. They didn't talk as they danced. Words were unnecessary.

Their bodies spoke to each other incessantly. The brush of her thigh against his, the warmth of her hand in his and the feel of her waist cradled in his arms sent Peter's blood racing. When his lips lightly brushed Jennifer's Peter knew her body was answering.

They were both tired when they returned to their room.

12