Without You I Have Nothing Ch. 30

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"I own the lot and I will decide what is excessive!" Peter's blunt answer stopped further discussion as the detectives meekly followed Peter into the Motel Dining Room.

The moment they saw the room set up with TV cameras and lights, they tried to evade the interview but four Ghurkhas barred their exit.

"Mr. O'Brien, the news crew is unnecessary. We'll interview you when they have finished!"

"Oh no you won't!" Peter's voice had the tone of a man in authority who intended controlling the meeting. "The meeting is here, now and with both TV and reporters present. I've not the faintest idea why you are questioning me when I am the victim of a failed assassination attempt but sit down gentlemen and let's get this interview started."

Nonplussed by Peter's attitude, the detectives began stuttering their way through their questions.

Peter assumed his inscrutable mask of the east and when the senior detective asked about his day on the harbor, Peter merely nodded and one Ghurkha left the room.

Slowly Peter stood and drawled, "Listen mate! Am I under suspicion of committing some crime? A free, innocent man whose workshop was blown up in an attempt to kill him is not allowed a day on the harbor without questioning by three detectives." He turned to the reporters.

"Am I speaking slowly enough for your note taking?"

Neither of the reporters replied, merely holding up their recorders.

"Do I need to speak louder for the cameras?"

One audio man from the news crew merely gave the thumbs up but the arrival of the Commander who made an impressive entrance halted any further questioning.

"Who are you and what right have you to be in here?" The senior detective was irate at the interruption. It was difficult enough under the glare of the lights of the TV cameras and the attendance of reporters. Now this interruption seemed the last straw!

"I am retired Commander Bill Williams Ex-RAN and I have arrived to stand with my friend, Peter O'Brien. I believe that you want to question Peter about his day on the harbor.

"Peter was with me that day and yes we followed The Pony Stable downstream. We were in the same bay as The Pony Stable when the boat sank and a police launch rescued a well-known criminal and his party. That is a statement of fact.

"How it sank and why it sank is beyond your powers of questioning gentlemen as it is a naval matter and should you pursue your enquiries, ASIO will be informed and you will all end up doing the beat in Bourke. That is no threat that is a warning that you have no right to be questioning Peter about his day's relief from the stress of business.

"Did you get all that on film and on your recorders?" Brutally businesslike, Bill waited for the detective's reaction.

One detective didn't get the message and turned to Peter, "A number of men and women on that boat were rescued. They disappeared after their rescue and no one has seen them since. Mr. O'Brien can you explain this?"

Bill roared with laughter. "My god! Now NSW detectives are asking a businessman to do their work.

"Did you get that piece of footage?" Bill directed his question to the TV crew. A thumbs up showed they were successful.

"So let me see if I have got this straight. A police launch rescues Mr. Big of crime and his male associates after his boat strangely springs a leak and sinks. The water police, at the same time, rescue a number of women. Now everyone is missing. My god, talk about Constable Plod. You have the hide to question Peter about the missing people.

"Look! Some common sense here wouldn't go astray. I respectfully suggest you try questioning Santa Claus. Perhaps he is wrapping the whores as presents for good little policemen." Bill's disgust at their ineptitude was obvious.

"Commander," the senior detective interjected, "your facetious comments are not helping any. We need to get some information. We suggest you leave."

"Officer, if I leave then so do you, the camera crew, Peter and the reporters. The meeting will recommence in Fleet Headquarters, Sydney. Shall I ring for a naval escort now?" Bill stared at the detective until the detective looked away.

"Mr. O'Brien! Can you explain your presence in the company of a large number of Asians?" The senior officer resumed the questioning.

Peter forced himself to smile as he stood. Standing at attention, he barked an order in Nepali to the amazement of the detectives. One guard left and soon marched back into the room and threw Peter a salute that Peter returned. He then handed Peter the registration book from the motel office.

Peter flicked through the pages until he found the two registrations -- one in Tamil the other in Mandarin. "Those are the registrations of engineers and accountants from two well known international companies. One has its head office in Singapore and the other has its head office in Malaysia.

"Before you ask, they were here to meet me as the representative of Blake Pastoral which is working with two universities and the Commonwealth Government to develop water harvesting and green power. That is all you need know. Anything further is confidential, commercial information.

"The registration is written by me and anything further about my history is available through ASIO but I will add that I am Major Peter O'Brien of the 6th Brigade of Ghurkhas. That should stop your worries about my guards and the language I used.

"If there are no further questions I might remind you that both the Commander and I have businesses to run but perhaps you would like some hospitality before you leave." His face revealed nothing as he signalled and one bodyguard left.

Within minutes, Susie entered, followed by the chef who set up a morning tea table. Susie's presence seemed to relax the detectives especially when the news crew and the reporters left and they were no longer under a microscope.

Weeks dawdled past and Peter still couldn't free his mind of Jennifer. He loved her and missed her but he couldn't torture himself by being with the lifeless body, which was once his warm, vibrant, happy wife.

His health was a shadow of its former vigour. As he shaved, he could hardly recognize the gaunt face and bleary eyes that faced him in the mirror.

Bob and Ted had long since stopped enquiring about Jennifer and no longer asked him to join them for a beer or a game of tennis. He'd become a loner once again and his heart was slowly breaking into a thousand pieces.

As the days passed, he ceased worrying about a return visit from the police. Yet he still would not return to the farm in case something cropped up with the police investigation. He spent his days working in the workshop.

Then his life changed.

"Someone on the phone," Mark called Peter to the office, "said it was the RSM."

Reluctantly Peter took the call. "Peter speaking."

"Major, something strange occurred here this morning and I have to apologize as it was my fault. I was so angry and I just didn't think. Jennifer's family was with her in the ward when I burst in and said 'That bastard, Dingo, is repeatedly demanding to be set free along with his people.'

"Jennifer struggled to sit up, and then leaning against her mother for support she looked straight at me. She shrieked as best she could, 'Kill him. He murdered, Peter. I want him dead.'

"Then she started to sob, 'If only my friend could learn to fly this would all be over.'

"The surgeon has taken this as a major breakthrough and has ordered a strict regime of physiotherapy for her. He would like to keep her in hospital for at least another two days. The family are disappointed as they feel she would be better off at home with all that is familiar around her but the surgeon has insisted she stay.

"Elizabeth is fussing over her daughter, dressing her in her own clothes and encouraging her to use her makeup. All Jennifer does is cry and mutter, 'He murdered, Peter. Kill him.' No matter how many times we assure her that you're alive, she just replies, 'He murdered my Peter. Kill him.'

"Hang on, here's Andrew."

Andrew, true to form didn't waste words. "Peter, you miserable bastard get down here at once and help Sis. You ran. Get back here, Jennifer needs you urgently. She believes you're dead."

Ignoring the insults, Peter was calm as he asked for more details, "The RSM said something about learning to fly..."

"Yes," was the quick reply. "And that's what's so strange. When we question her all we get is gabble about jungle, old man, a snake bracelet and learning to fly."

Musing over the information but knowing he had the key to unlock the puzzle, Peter chatted on completely disregarding the urgency in Andrew's voice.

"She's talking of suicide!"

"Put a 24/7 suicide watch on her, two women and one Ghurkha." Peter didn't sound the least sympathetic.

Andrew's angry voice shouted through the handpiece but Peter ignored him. "No Andrew, that's not possible. I can't get down there as quickly as that. First, I have to follow Jennifer's directions and teach a friend to fly."

Ignoring Andrew's swearing and anger, he continued. "I'll be there when I can. It may be a week. It may be two weeks and talk of coming after me with a shotgun is stupid. My love for Jennifer has never wavered and she's dearer to me than life itself. I'll be there with our friend and together we'll convince her that I am alive.

"As for Dingo and company, I'll set them free. The night we arrive the 'Angel of Death' will arrive with us and that same night they will dwell in hell. My mind hasn't altered one bit on that.

"I'll be disappearing for a while and the next time you hear from me will be when I ring to say lay out the red carpet your brother-in-law is arriving."

Unable to take anymore insulting threats, he hung up.

Two days later Peter made his way through the Kuala Lumpur International Airport. "Selamat Malam." Peter's fluent Malay surprised the Immigration Officer.

Within minutes, he was eating with his taxi driver at a wayside makan stall before booking at a Malay non-tourist hotel. He immediately changed into the local dress. His intention of merging into the crowd wearing brown contact lens and speaking with his impeccable Malay accent certainly helped.

Settled in his hotel room he immediately made a phone call to the airport arranging for early morning helicopter transport.

With all his business well underway, he could at last give way to his feelings. Wrapped in nothing more than a sarong he flung himself on the bed and wept. The last time he was in Malaysia, he'd been so happy and so proud. This time?

He cried himself to sleep.

A Muezzin was calling the Faithful to Prayers as he made his way to the helicopter pad at the domestic terminal. Soon he was in the air and swinging away northwards towards the Cameron Highlands.

The small chopper had barely landed in the same jungle clearing of his honeymoon when he was out and running.

With his sarong flapping around his legs and his shirt sticky in the heat, he hurried. His sandals were less than helpful in the ooze of the jungle floor but still he pressed on. He knew his every movement was under scrutiny so he removed his shirt. No sooner had he slung it over his shoulder than Orang Kanaq surrounded him. He was home!

Along the muddy track, up an incline, down a slope and across a creek they wended their way chattering furiously. They led him to the village and sat him at the communal fire.

"So Peter, what took you so long to get here? At last, Jennifer gave you the message and you are here to teach me to fly." Cackling, the old man of the jungle continued, "Notice I'm speaking English, as I need practice and I'm a bit rusty. Now let's go, the pilot will be worried. No, I have no luggage. I fly lightly."

He was still babbling when they arrived at the chopper.

They passed the next few days waiting for seats to Sydney and purchasing Matt Selah, European, clothing for this strange jungle man.

In Sydney when they hailed a taxi, the Old Man of the Jungle easily passed the taxi driver's scrutiny especially when he started talking cricket.

In Peter's spacious penthouse, Jennifer's gold gown that she wore to the Hunters Hill party along with her diamante sandals lay undisturbed with the note on their bed.

"Hmm," mused the Old Man, "so that is what she was wearing and I would say she would have looked extremely beautiful. Pack those clothes and shoes as well." Knowing Peter was unwilling to move them, the old man added, "I'm in charge, Peter, so do as you're told for once." The wise old man stared at Peter until he dropped his eyes and then did as bid.

"We'll take the clothes with us if you can book flights for tomorrow evening." For a jungle man he had plenty of shrewdness about the modern world.

"Along with the clothes we'll deliver this note from us," and he dictated a note for Peter to write.

"We'll take Jennifer's letter as well. You'll need to remind her of her promise." Smiling, he ignored Peter's embarrassment, and continued, "We'll also set up everything for Friday night when your Jennifer will return to you."

12