Wolf Lake Ch. 06

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
Gojenngo
Gojenngo
763 Followers

Sam smiled but quickly tried to wipe the look from her face. “I’m sorry, I just never thought you’d be jealous.”

“You are my mate…”

“Yes, and wolves mate for life.” Sam stepped forward and wrapped her arms around Nafarius’ waist. “I love you and no matter who shows up from my past that isn’t going to change.”

Nafarius looked down at her. “Are you expecting any more company that I should be aware of?”

Sam laughed. “No, I’m surprised that Alex was able to find me. It’s only a hoax that he figured out that the research on Wolf Lake was personal and not part of my thesis.”

“I want you to get whatever information he has back from him.”

“I will; I’ll talk to him later tonight or tomorrow and find out everything he knows.” Sam turned and urged Nafarius out towards the common area. “I’ll make sure that there isn’t any threat from outside.”

“I won’t let anything threaten my pack.” Nafarius growled and fought the urge to simply kill the human. He understood Sam’s feelings towards the man but she was no longer human. Her first loyalty was to the pack and if that meant killing the human then that was what he would do, despite how she felt about it.

Sam seemed to echo his thoughts. “They’re my pack too and I won’t let anything happen to them. Even if it means destroying Alex.” The last was added in a whisper.

Just then Maddie walked up and offered Sam and Nafarius a bowl of rich stew. It was thick with meat, vegetables and broth. Steam rose from the bowl and reminded Sam just how hungry she was. Taking the bowl, Sam motioned to Maddie. “Take a bowl of stew and some bread to Alex.” Feeling Nafarius stiffen beside her, she added, “Make sure one of the guards accompanies you inside.”

“Yes, ma’am.” Maddie turned and went to fill another bowl. After break off a chunk of bread and filling a bottle with water she left. Sam and Nafarius weren’t the only ones that noticed her departure and noted her destination.

Riley watched through narrow eyes as the young woman made her way to the back of the cave. Obviously upset, he turned and made his way over to where Sam and Nafarius were taking their meal. “I can’t believe you would send her to deal with the human.” The emphasis he put on the last word made it clear how he felt about that particular breed of animal.

Nafarius and looked up and glared. “It is not for you to question either myself or my mate.”

Riley saw the warning in his leader’s eyes but he cared too much to back down. Turning to Sam he said, “You of all people should know how innocent and nieve Maddie is, how could you send her in there?”

Sam wasn’t offended. Riley was new to the pack having come with Natasha and the others. He was young and handsome and he had no trouble blending in with the rest of the pack. He was smart and a good hunter and Sam predicted that he would go far within the pack. But she also noted that Riley had been watching Maddie ever since his arrival. It was a match she was more then willing to support and encourage therefore she was willing to overlook his disrespectful tone…to a point. “Riley, I sent one of the guards along with Maddie but if it would make you feel better you can accompany her in the future.”

Riley, somewhat chargin by the understanding tone of Sam’s voice, bowed slightly at the waist. “I would appreciate that.”

Nafarius watched him walk away. “I’m surprised. I didn’t think he would want anything to do with the human.”

Sam smiled. “He doesn’t, it’s Maddie he’s interested in.”

Nafarius couldn’t hide his surprise. “Our Maddie?”

“Yes, you didn’t think she’d stay with us forever?” Seeing Nafarius’ face go dark she added, “It is a good match. Riley is dominant enough to protect her and its obvious that he cares about her. I would see Maddie well and truly settled.”

“I’ve grown rather fond of her.” Nafarius had come to enjoy the young woman’s company. At first he had been uncomfortable around some one so submissive and eager to please. He was use to dealing with men and women constantly vying for a new position within the pack. Maddie had none of those desires. She was happy to serves her leader and her mistress. After a while he’d become accustom to seeing her in their alcove, in their sleeping furs and at their hearth. Despite her shy nature, Maddie was extremely intelligent and they had spent many nights conversing on a variety of topics. And he had to admit that he enjoyed the added pleasure she brought to him and Sam. It would be hard to let her go but like Sam he’d come to care for her enough that he would see her well matched. That brought him to Riley.

Nafarius was only mildly acquainted with the young man. Natasha had brought with her several new pack members and he had yet to get to know them all. Riley was well established with the other pack members and Nafarius hadn’t encountered any trouble from him. He was a good hunter and always took his turn patrolling the surrounding area. He was of a similar age to Maddie and obviously cared about her safety. However, he wasn’t yet ready to give his blessing. He would take the next few days and watch Riley to see what else he could discern.

Meanwhile Maddie slipped into the small alcove situated at the back of the cave. Despite Sam’s words of warning she entered alone. With a shy smile at the human she held out her hand.

Alex looked at the young woman but he didn’t move to take the bowl from her hand. Even from his position on the floor he could tell she was small. Petite with long blonde hair and bright blue eyes, her small cherub face nearly stole his breath away. So caught up in her beauty, Alex missed what she was saying. “I’m sorry?”

“Sam asked that I bring you something to eat. It’s rabbit stew with garden vegetables. I made it myself along with the fresh bread.” Maddie shifted slightly under his intense gaze. Her own curiosity with humans was what drove her to enter unaccompanied. She’d been just as curious about Sam but this was the first male human she’d ever seen and there was something about him that reached out to her.

Alex took the offered food and without his usual manners dug in hungrily. He ate in silence, the woman watching him the entire time. Finally, when he was finished he handed her back the bowl and cup. “Thank you, that was delicious.”

“I can bring you some more if you’re still hungry?”

Embarrassed, Alex blushed but shook his head. “No, thank you. I normally don’t eat like such pig but I’ve been lost in the woods for two days without anything to eat.”

Maddie gave him a small smile. “There is lot to eat in the forest, if you know where to look.” At Alex’s frown she realized the implications of what she’d said. “I’m sorry; I didn’t mean anything by that.”

“It’s okay and in fact you’re right I shouldn’t have come out here without knowing what I was doing. I didn’t think…well, I guess I just didn’t think at all.” Alex shrugged at his own foolishness.

Maddie approached slowly and when Alex didn’t voice any objection sat down across from him. “Can I ask you something?”

Alex looked at her for a moment. “Sure.”

“Why did you come?”

He thought about it for a moment. “Well, I never thought I’d find…”

“A pack of werewolves?”

Alex gave a small laugh. “That and I never really thought I’d find Sam. I’m not a detective, I didn’t even know where to begin to look for her or what to look for. I guess I came more as a way of saying goodbye.”

“You two were close?” Maddie didn’t understand what it was about him that made her want to know him better.

“Yes, we dated for a while but that had ended long before she disappeared. We were still friends and when the police couldn’t tell me what happened to her I sort of snapped. I spent most of my time trying to find the answers. When I came across her notes on Wolf Lake it seemed like the logical place to look. I didn’t expect to find her but maybe I could find some peace about what happened to her.”

Maddie was quiet for a moment. “What will you do now?”

Alex shrugged. “I guess that depends on Sam and Nafarius. To them I’m a threat and I can understand why they would be reluctant to let me leave.”

“Sam will speak up for you and she’ll make sure that no harm comes to you.”

“You have a lot of faith in her.”

Maddie looked away but Alex didn’t miss the note of sadness on her face. “I don’t do well with the other pack members. At least I didn’t until Sam came. One of the first things she did as Nafarius’ mate was to claim me as her own.”

Alex looked appalled. “How can she do that, you are your own person!”

Maddie shook her head. “It’s not like that. Sam made it clear to the others that I was under her protection and that anyone who harmed me would have to answer to her. She and Nafarius took me in and made me part of their family. They do that; they watch out for everyone of us and make sure that we’re all safe.”

“But I’m not a pack member.”

“No,” Maddie said almost wistfully. “But that won’t stop either of them from watching over you and seeing you safe.”

Alex shook his head but didn’t bother to argue. Sam might be willing to stand up for him but Nafarius obviously didn’t want him here but was unwilling to let him leave. That left only one alternative.

“What in the hell is going on here?!”

Maddie jumped at the sound of an angry voice behind her. Turning she found Riley standing at the entrance to the alcove. “Riley, we were just talking.”

“I thought Sam order you to bring a guard with you?” Riley’s voice came out as a growl.

The animal sound coming from someone looking so human reminded Alex that he was not in Kansas anymore. He was in the middle of a pack of werewolves, wolves that saw him as a threat and would see him dead. “Maddie was kind enough to keep me company while I had my meal.”

Riley turned on the human and snapped. “I wasn’t talking to you.” Turning back to Maddie he reached out and grabbed her by the arm. “Come.”

Maddie didn’t struggle but Alex could see that Riley’s grip was hurting her. But when he opened his mouth Maddie shook her head. It was clear that she didn’t want him interfering. Instead he sat back and watched as the young woman was escorted out of the alcove.

Riley dragged Maddie back to the common area and with an angry shove forced her to sit down. “I want you to stay away from him.”

Maddie looked up at Riley and glared. This wasn’t the first time he’d acted in such a high handed manner. On more then one occasion he’d insisted on accompanying her out to the gardens or into the forest when she wanted to take a walk. She wasn’t use to so much attention from one man and she didn’t particularly care for it. While Sam and Nafarius watched out for her they allowed her a certain amount of freedom and treated her with the same respect as any other pack member. Riley treated her like a child and she didn’t appreciate it one bit. Standing with her fists clenched at her side, she glared up at him and said, “It is none of your business who I chose to spend my time with.”

Fro a moment Riley was speechless. Maddie never spoke like that to anyone yet here she was yelling at him. Fortunately, his surprise didn’t last long and quickly gave way to outrage. “He’s an outsider and he’s human! Why would you want to spend any time with him at all?”

“That,” Maddie poked her finger into Riley’s chest, “is none of your business. Despite what you and the others may think I am perfectly capable of taking care of myself!” With that she turned and walked away unaware that the brief exchange had been witnessed by most of the pack members.

Nafarius had also witnessed the exchange and turned to find Sam smiling beside him. “I don’t see the humor in this.”

“She’s finally standing up for herself. Not only that, if she does decide to take Riley as her mate it is best that he not like he can dictate to her. You have to admit, he was acting pretty high handed with her; if you had tried that with me you would have seen sparks. I don’t want Riley thinking that he can railroad over her.” Sam knew that things were different in the pack; a person’s place was determined by how dominant or submissive he or she was. Maddie had always been the most submissive member of the pack but it would seem that she had had enough. Maybe having Sam and Nafarius to back her up had given her the courage she needed to stand up for herself.

“Be that as it may;” Nafarius interrupted his mate’s wanderings, “she shouldn’t have been with Alex alone.”

“He would never hurt her; Alex is too kind for that sort of thing.”

“No, but I doubts he’s above using an innocent woman to help him escape.” Nafarius had thought of all the possibilities and none of them frighten him as much as the idea that Alex could escape and alert other humans to the wolves’ presence here at the lake.

Sam shook her head. “I know you don’t trust him but I do and I know that if for no other reason he would keep his silence to protect me.”

“I’m not willing to bet the lives of my pack on that.”

“I know but where does that leave us? And Alex?” Sam watched as Nafarius walked away without answering. It was clear that he was having as hard of a time as she was.

The next morning Alex was surprised when the curtain to his alcove was pulled back and Maddie entered, once again alone.

“I thought you might like to clean up.” She offered him a large kettle of warm water, a rag, some soap and some clean clothes.

Alex took the offering and immediately stripped his shirt over his head. Maddie gasped quietly at the sight of his sun kissed skin. Alex was tall and broad across the shoulders. His chest and stomach showed the signs of a man willing to work. As he moved his muscles rippled beneath the surface of his skin and sent waves of heat pooling into the pit of her stomach.

Too busy cleaning himself up to notice, Alex missed the sight of wonder that past over Maddie’s face. Quickly, he sponged himself off before dunking his head in the water. His hair was fifthly and he wouldn’t be surprised to find lice. There wasn’t any shampoo so he made due with the soap. It was enough to wash the first few layers of grime from his body and he was relieved to pull on a fresh change of clothes. “Now I feel human again.”

Maddie gave a small laugh and then blushed in embarrassment. She didn’t want Alex thinking she was making fun of him.

Alex caught the joke and chuckled. Those few second were enough to break the tension and he found himself asking her to sit with him.

Maddie looked indecisive. She wanted to sit with Alex and learn more about him and where he was from but she was worried what would happen if she did.

Alex picked up on h hesitation. “Is Riley your mate?”

Surprised, Maddie sat down. “No, but I think he is hoping that Nafarius will give him permission.”

“Permission to what?”

“To mate with me.”

Alex was surprised. “Don’t you have any say in the matter?”

Maddie considered. “If my father was still alive it would be for him to say and I would have obeyed his wishes. My father died a few years ago and my mother several years before that therefore the responsibility falls to Nafarius. Because he is my leader I would do whatever he deemed right however I think that both he and Sam would permit me the chance to voice my opinion.”

“Which is?” Alex was curious and for some reason found himself holding his breath. For whatever reason he didn’t want to see her with Riley.

“Riley is a good man, he would provide well for me and his position within the pack would assure my safety.”

“But?”

Maddie chewed on her bottom lip. “I don’t love him.”

“Does your kind mate for love?” Alex quickly apologized. “That was a rude question and I apologize for my comment.”

Maddie smiled and brushed it off with a wave of her hand. “My kind is very different from yours; I took no offense. Yes, some of us mate for love but others mate to secure a higher position within the pack.”

“Why did Sam mate with Nafarius?”

Maddie hesitated wondering how much she should say. The circumstances surrounding their mating was common knowledge among the pack but that didn’t extend to an outsider.

“I’m sorry, I shouldn’t have asked.” But Alex was curious what had made Sam decide to stay.

“I think it was both. Nafarius was looking for a mate but needed to find a way to do so without offending the other packs. We are the largest and most powerful pack in the area. If he had chosen a mate from one of the other packs then the rest would have taken offense.”

“Why didn’t he pick someone from within your own pack?” Alex was finding that there was a lot more to wolf dynamics then he originally thought. To him wolves were just animals living on instinct but the same obviously wasn’t true for werewolves.

“There wasn’t anyone within the pack strong enough to take the place of his mate. In addition, there was more than one woman that wanted the position and they would have had to battle for it. A battle for the leader’s mate is to the death and Nafarius didn’t want to see his pack destroyed. It would have weakened us as a whole and he cares too much about the individuals involved to see any of them killed.”

Alex considered all she had said before asking his next question. “How did he find Sam?”

Maddie smiled remembering the day Sam had entered their lives. “She was brought to us kicking and screaming. Roland had found her down by the lake, like you she was human and not welcome but Roland thought it best to bring her before Nafarius. Nafarius was impressed by her spirit. Despite the situation she refused to back down and held her own with both men. I don’t know if you’ve noticed but Nafarius can be pretty intimidating.”

“I’ve noticed.”

Maddie smiled at Alex’s sarcasm. She had been watching him as he listed to her and was pleased to see true interest in what she had to say. “Nafarius gave her a choice she could stay as his mate or she could return to the city.”

“He was going to let her leave?”

“That’s what he said but looking back I don’t know if he would have let her go. From the first moment she walked into the clearing he was intrigued by her. She didn’t fear him and that was a first for him. So, they mated and wolves mate for life.”

“How did she become one of you?”

“Most of us are born werewolves but Sam became infected during the mating process.”

Alex frowned. “Like a sexually transmitted disease?”

“No, a person can become infected either through a bite or a scratch but only when a werewolf is in animal form.”

“So, Sam mated while Nafarius was in animal form and he either bit her or scratched her?” It was too easy for Alex to conjure up a mental image. He expected to be repulsed or at the very least offended by the idea but he found the image strangely erotic. “So, what will you do?”

Maddie didn’t have to ask to know that Alex was asking her about Riley. “I don’t know. I can’t stay with Sam and Nafarius forever. I’ve already intruded on their hospitality enough but I can’t see mating with someone just so that I can get out from under foot.”

“If you’re that worried about staying with Sam and Nafarius why don’t you stay with someone else or move out on your own?”

Maddie shook her head. “I can’t.”

“Because of the other pack members?”

“Yes, and Riley. If I was alone there would be nothing stopping him from taking me even without Nafarius’ permission.”

Alex was appalled. “Is that allowed?”

“It is an old custom and one usually reserved for talking a mate from an enemy pack. Pack law states that if one member is strong enough to take another then he, or she, is within his right to do so.”

“Any you’re not strong enough to defend yourself against Riley.” It wasn’t a question, Alex had seen the change in Maddie the minute Riley had stepped into the alcove the night before. “Isn’t there anyone else you can stay with? Someone who will protect you?”

Gojenngo
Gojenngo
763 Followers