Wolf Lake Ch. 09

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
Gojenngo
Gojenngo
765 Followers

"I'm staying," Dresden said, not surprised when all eyes turned to him. "Regardless of what the Council does you still have Storm to deal with."

Roland cursed quietly under his breath. Nafarius silently agreed.

There had been discussions aplenty about what to do about Storm. Roland and Nafarius considered him an unknown threat, one that they were taking seriously. The pack was on high alert, had been since Michael's death over two months ago. Women and children were kept close to home and the men hunted in pairs -- no exceptions.

There were patrols running 24/7 with regular check ins and word had gone out to other packs in the area to be on the look out for strangers. Packs were territorial but most of them in this area of the country were related through mating. Information would come if a stranger tried to make his or her way to Wolf Lake.

Nafarius, Sam and Roland had talked with Dresden at length working to gather as much information about Storm and his team as possible. They had discussed the advantages to taking the offensive verses the defensive and even considered moving the pack. Only Dresden's certainty that Storm wouldn't stop until he had Sam or knew she was dead convinced them to stay. They would see this through -- one way or the other.

Jude felt a shiver of pleasure at Dresden's declaration. She knew it was selfish of her but she'd hated thinking that he would be leaving soon. They'd been enjoying each other, most of the pack having grown use to the idea of them as a couple - however temporary.

"Much appreciated," Nafarius said with a nod of thanks. "We'll take all the help we can get."

"It's the waiting that I hate," Sam said. "I hate not knowing when or how Storm will attack, it leaves me feeling at a distinct disadvantage."

"I've actually been thinking about that," Dresden said. "If you have a minute I'd like to run something past you," he said, directing his comment at Nafarius but including Sam and Roland.

Sensing the change in topics, most of the pack members moved onto other things leaving the clearing free for Nafarius, Roland, Sam and Dresden.

"Jude, Tasha, I'd like you to stay as well," Sam said. "Maddie, will you please help Glenis with the twins and make sure Payton is tended to?"

"Of course," Maddie slipped back inside. She wasn't insulted at having been directed elsewhere. Each pack member had his or her place, Jude and Tasha were both dominant females and would naturally defend the pack against all danger. Maddie was more submissive and supported her pack by taking care of the young and seeing that the leaders had everything they needed. It was this division of labor and responsibilities that allowed the pack to operate at peak effeciency.

Nafarius, Sam, Roland, Dresden, Jude and Tasha waited until the clearing was empty of all other pack members before speaking. Eventually the pack would know everything but until then they wanted things kept quiet. "So," Nafarius said, "what have you got for us?"

Dresden considered the man he'd come to respect and call friend. "There is no doubt in my mind that Storm is organizing an attack. I also know that he won't make a move until he's guaranteed of success. It may cost him in men and resources but he'll consider just about anything an 'acceptable loss' if he walks away with Sam and/or the twins."

Nafarius growled low in his chest, the sound an automatic response to hearing a threat towards his mate and their young. "You're not telling us anything we didn't already know."

Dresden nodded feeling no offense at the curt statement. "I propose we force his hand, give him a reason to come after Sam when and were we choose. We draw him out, make it appear like we're unprepared when in fact we'll be making the first move."

"Nothing short of Sam will draw him out," Roland said.

Dresden nodded. "She'd be the bait."

"No," Nafarius said, his tone daring anyone to argue.

"Yes," Sam said and braced herself.

Nafarius stepped into Sam's space. Towering over her, he stared down into her face. "I said no. I will not put you in harms way."

Refusing to be intimidated or back down, Sam stepped forward until she was pressed nearly nose to nose with her mate. "First of all, you can't stop me," she growled and felt power ripple down her spine. "Not to mention it's already too late. I'm in his crosshairs and nothing you do or say is going to turn his attention. I say we use that to our advantage and get rid of the bastard."

They locked eyes, Nafarius' bright with anger and fear for his mate. He could feel Sam's power radiating from her in waves of heat. "What you ask of me goes against every instinct I have to see my mate protected."

"I'm not just your mate," Sam said quietly. "I'm alpha female of this pack and every instinct I have is telling me to protect. You chose me - not just as your mate but to help lead and protect - don't ask me to back down from that."

Nafarius growled in frustration before turning away to pace across the clearing.

Sam waited knowing that he needed time to come to accept the truth of her words. Everyone else waited silently, unwilling to draw the leader's attention while in such a agitated state.

Nafarius paced back and forth, head down and fists clenched at his sides. Every time he thought of Storm, of the danger to Sam, a small growl rumbled through his chest. He wanted to lash out, wanted to attack and destroy this threat but at the moment found himself without a target.

He'd spent the past few months considering every angle, analyzing their situation, considering and disguarding possible attack and defense scenarios. Never once had he thought to put Sam on the front lines or using her as bait to bring the bastard here. He had to admit that it was the best scenario yet.

Turning back to the small group, he said, "Alright, what do you suggest?"

Everyone breathed a sigh of relief while Sam closed the distance to wrap her arms around her mate. Nafarius wrapped her in his embrace, pulling her close and dropping a kiss on the top of her head before walking them back towards the others.

Dresden nodded at Sam, his respect for her growing ever more. She was a good leader, a strong woman and would do them all proud.

"I think the best way to force Storm's hand is to make him think he's about to lose his chance." Dresden had been thinking about this for a while and had worked out a plan that was simple but should be effective. "We know that Storm's been sending scouts..."

"And we've been sending them back in pieces," Roland said with a growl.

There were growls of approval from all present.

"I suggest we let one or two get in and out to report back to Storm," Dresden said.

"I don't get it," Tasha said. "If Storm knows where Sam is why hasn't he attacked and tried to take her?"

"I suspect he's waiting for something, for the right opportunity to present itself." Dresden said. "There's no question that Sam is well protected and hard to get to. Not only that but if he suspects her of being a shapeshifter then he'll have some idea of how dangerous she can be."

Sam stiffened. She didn't like hearing herself described as dangerous.

"Storm is content to wait. He knows where Sam is and every indication is that she's staying put. I suggest we make him think that she's leaving, getting ready to go into hiding," Dresden explained.

"Won't he grow suspicious?" Sam asked. "You said it earlier, I've been well protected. None of the pack have been allowed out alone and none of the women or children at all. If I suddenly walk out into the woods Storm will know something is up. He'll smell a trap."

Roland and Nafarius both nodded.

"The Council members," Jude whispered in sudden understanding.

Dresden gave her a small smile, pleased that she'd caught on so quickly. He hadn't shared his thoughts with her, it not being his place despite their relationship as lovers. But she was quick and smart and seemed to understand strategy. "Exactly. We make it look like Sam is getting ready to leave with the Council members, to return to the city and the security of the Archives."

The Archives were where all of the lycan's knowledge and history was stored. It was also the official seat of the Council. While most Council members chose to reside in their own residence or with pack and pride the official house remained and was used for Council meetings and functions. The location was known only to alpha pack members, pride leaders or individual lycans strong enough to live on their own. It was also considered the lycan's most secure building.

Sam nodded, "Storm would easily believe that I would move to a secure location and timing it with the Council's return to the Archives would eliminate any suspicion of a trap."

"Have you spoken with Jonas or Lillian?" Nafarius asked Dresden.

"No," Dresden shook his head. "I wanted to talk to you first, see if it was something you would even consider doing."

Nafarius nodded. "It's a risk," he said, addressing his comment to Roland and Sam. "It means letting Storm's scouts leave with information on the pack. It also means brining this battle here, to our territory not to mention the territories of the surrounding pack."

"We get most of the pack out," Sam said. "We move the youngest and the oldest out, one and two at a time, and hide them. That would leave enough of the pack left to maintain appearances. Besides, with the exception of a few of us I doubt Storm or his men have learned to identify individual pack members. As long as we remain no one would think twice at not seeing the same individuals."

"We can hide them within the surrounding packs," Tasha suggested. "Enough of us have friends and family that have married into the other packs. We can call on those connections to help spread our people out. I doubt Storm is watching the other packs but just in case one or two new people in each pack won't be noticed and if it is can be explained away by simple relations."

Roland, Nafarius and Dresden were all nodding. "We'll speak with the pack tonight, decide who goes and where," Roland said.

"What about the Council?" Dresden asked. "Do you want to speak to them or shall I?"

Nafarius considered. "We'll talk to them together."

"Is there a chance they won't agree?" Sam asked.

Nafarius looked to Dresden to answer. "Maybe," Dresden shrugged. "I had hoped to have them safely away before Storm arrived. This plan means asking them to stay, to act as escort to your supposed departure and risks them in the coming conflict."

Sam understood that the Council members were considered too important to be put in danger. It was Dresden's job as a Hunter to see to their protection. Asking them to remain went against everything in his nature and training. "We get them out as well," she said. "They can be in the last group to go and hide among one of the other packs."

"Doesn't that defeat the purpose?" Tasha asked.

Sam shook her head. "We need them to remain long enough to create the appearance that I'll be leaving with them. Once word gets back to Storm he'll have to move without waiting for confirmation. In the time it will take for his scout to get out and report back we can move the Council members. We can't risk getting them out to the Archives but we can get them out of our territory and far enough away to ensure their safety."

"The twins go with them," Nafarius said.

Sam wanted to argue. She didn't like the idea of Zane and Kaysen out of her sight, not when she knew Storm would be moving into the area. One look at Nafarius' face and she knew there would be no arguing with him. Reluctantly, she nodded. "Maddie goes with them," she said.

"Payton too," Tasha said and took Sam's hand in her own.

There was a moment of profound silence as everyone absorbed the reality of what they were planning, what they were agreeing too.

"It's done then," Nafarius said. "Dresden, let's go talk to the Council members. Once we have their agreement we can let the pack know and start plans for moving individual members to safety."

Dresden nodded and the two men headed off to find Jonas and Lillian. Sam, Tasha and Jude went back inside, Roland a step behind them.

Lillian and Jonas looked at each other with another of those silent communications. Nafarius would have sworn entire conversations took place in those quiet moments.

"You've obviously thought this through," Jonas said.

Dresden nodded, "We wouldn't ask if we didn't think we had every chance of coming out of this the winner."

"Of course," Lillian said softly. "You've proven yourself capable time and time again."

"You have concerns with remaining?" Nafarius asked. They'd been speaking with the Council members for well over an hour, going over the plan and outlining all the possibilities. Jonas and Lillian had asked intelligent questions but neither seemed inclined to agree. They hadn't said no either and Nafarius decided to take that as a good sign. "What more can I say?"

Another look passed between Lillian and Jonas, this one longer. "There is nothing more to say," Jonas finally said. "We will stay and help you with your rouse."

Nafarius breathed a sigh of relief.

"On one condition," Jonas said.

Nafarius stiffened.

"At some point in the future you will grant Lillian and myself unlimited access to Samantha." Jonas held up a hand, effectively stopping Nafarius' protest. "You've been generous in allowing us to remain until she proved able to shift. However, you made it quite clear that was all we were permitted. We require a opportunity to explore Sam's abilities in greater detail as well as record them for historical purposes."

Nafarius gritted his teeth. He didn't like being forced into such a position. However, their current plan was the best one yet and depended on the Council member's cooperation. "What will you do with the information?"

"Record it, save it for future reference," Jonas said. "Sam is the first shifter to come along in a very long time. However, she may not be the last. I don't mean the twins," Jonas said. "She could mark things to come and we need to be prepared."

"Prepared for what?" Nafarius asked. With their bloody history it wouldn't surprise him if the lycan Council members were looking for a way to neutralize a shifter's abilities.

"To find a way to co-exist," Lillian said. "We have no desire to repeat history - any of it." Shifters and had enslaved lycans until they eventually revolted and hunted shifters into exstinction. "We need to be able to protect everyone but that requires understanding and education. If there are others like Sam we want to know about them and help them to understand their abilities. There is much that could be learned from each other."

Nafarius nodded, understanding. With great abilities came great responsibility. Sam felt it and it drove her to use those abilities to protect her pack. "I'll agree to time with Sam once she and the twins are safe. We can work out the details later."

"Agreed," Jonas said. "So, what do you need us to do?"

The next few days passed quickly with most of the pack members sticking to their usual routine. Runners were sent to neighboring packs with requests to shelter the oldest and youngest pack members for the coming conflict. Nafarius was touched when not a single request was denied.

Dresden, Roland, Alex and Nafarius made regular sweeps of the surrounding area looking for signs of a scout. The last one had been sent back over three weeks ago. It wouldn't take long for Storm to send a replacement.

Already plans were in place to allow the latest scout to get further into the pack's territory. To the scout (and Storm) it would appear that the pack had gotten lax in their patrols with the preparations to move Sam and the Council members.

Sam and the Council members were doing their part. Each one was slowly packing up personal belongings, making it appear that the Council members were returning home and taking Sam with them.

Younger pack members were sent into the city as if to prepare for the move. Each one had been instructed to make a noticeable passing through the area, stopping in town for supplies before continuing on. Storm and his men may not be in town yet but they were sure to get word of the pack's movements upon their arrival.

Three days after the last runner was sent the first scout was sighted.

Roland came trotting back into the clearing, "Where's Nafarius?" he asked Alex.

Alex pointed to indicate a small group of pack members running through a series of training exercises. Dresden had cautioned that not all of Storm's troops were lycan and that the pack members needed to be prepared to fight in all forms. Nafarius and Roland had set up a training schedule that alternated through weapons as well as hand to hand combat and combat in wolf form.

"Nafarius!" Roland called.

Nafarius turned at the sound of his name, with a word to one of the young men he handed off the training and went to join his second in command. "What is it?"

"I came across a scout," Roland said. "Storm should be ashamed of himself. The man has no idea how inept his troops are."

"Tell me," Nafarius said. Spotting Dresden he motioned for the man to join them.

Roland explained that the scout was still at the edge of the pack's territory, moving closer slowly and leaving an embarrassingly obvious trail. His disgust at the man's lack of abilities was obvious. "If that's the best Storm has then I don't know why we're worried."

"Don't get cocky," Dresden warned. "Storm knows better then to send his best into enemy territory alone, especially on a scouting mission."

"Storm is sending cannon fodder," Nafarius said.

"More like snacks," Roland said with a smile.

Dresden nodded, "He wouldn't risk sending anyone of value, not after the way the first few were sent back." The smile he gave them was chilling.

"How long do we have?" Nafarius asked.

"A day and a half, two at most and he'll be within site of the clearing," Roland said. Shifting from foot to foot, he strained against the need to hunt down the intruder. "I don't like letting him get that close."

"Understood," Nafarius said. "None of us are thrilled with the idea but we agreed that this was the best course of action."

"There's no turning back," Dresden said. "Everything is in place, all we need to do now is wait."

"And the pack?" Roland asked.

"We'll start moving those that are leaving out tonight, one and two at a time," Nafarius said. Sam had put together a schedule and knew where everyone would be going and when. She had made a point of putting families together while still managing to spread everyone out across the neighboring packs. Thankfully, there weren't too many that needed to be moved.

The three males stood silent, each one thinking of the battle that was yet to come. Spying the scout was only the first step. Everyone knew that the success of their plan depended on each part going right - one misstep could unravel everything and leave them dangerously exposed.

"Well," Dresden said, "if you don't mind I think I'll go find Jude."

Nafarius and Roland both nodded, each one heading off to find his mate. It was understandable that they would seek to spend the last of a peaceful evening drawing comfort from and reassuring themselves of the safety of their mates.

Jude sensed Dresden the moment he stepped inside. In the three months they'd been together she'd come to recognize he presence. It went beyond the sound of his tread or the scent of his skin - both of which she recognized and could pick out even among a crowd. It was something more, a base element that was unique to him and seemed to proceed him as he moved through time and space.

Having felt him drawing near she wasn't surprised to feel his hands slipping around her waist and pulling her back to his chest.

Gojenngo
Gojenngo
765 Followers