Women in Time Ch. 04

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"Dearest Daughter,

I don't think I've ever shown you the diary your Great Grandma Emmaline Jones left right before she passed. One of your grandaunts has the diary Grandma Emmaline wrote in her own hand, but Papa thought it was important that all the members of his family, especially the women, should be able to read about our origins. The copy I have came from my papa, your Grandpa Horace, who copied it from the original. You will get my copy when I die, since you are the next woman in line. I trust you will pass it on to Frances when you feel she is responsible enough to care for it.

I've copied some of what Grandma Emmaline wanted us to know so that you can have it now. . . 'I believe that my time is coming to a close soon. I have been putting off this diary entry for far too long already. I suppose that I had hoped that I would have more time. More time to help the women of my family come into their own strength. I wish that I could do more but I suppose at this late date the only thing that is left to me is to write down what has happened in my life. I want the others to know. I want the women of the family to know that we came from good solid stock. . . I taught my children; I taught them to not forget who they were or how they came to be there. I did not want to forget the sacrifices that the women in our family made before. . . Keepsakes and memories - that is all a mother has of any of her children and her children's children. We keep it all in our hearts and at the end of our time we make sure that another keeps their memories in their heart. . . I feel blessed that I have had so much love in my lifetime.'

We all deserve to have that much love, dearest Clara, and if Bobbie gives you that love, then you must cherish it. Women who have strength and courage to follow their hearts despite the opinions of others are the richest of all. You come from good stock, Clara – from women who have faced opposition and emerged stronger for it.

I will always love you, no matter who you are or whom you love.

Mama"

I put the letter back in my apron pocket and waited until I heard the dear and familiar voices of my family before I went in the house. All three were in the kitchen, Frank and Frannie excitedly telling Bobbie about their day at school.

Love overwhelmed me and I knew Gemmie was right. Children must be taught not to forget who they were or how they came to be there. My children had a right to know who they were. In five years, I would be rid of my secret and I, as well as the people I loved, would be free.

*

Emmaline Jones' diary excerpt is from Women in Time, Chapter 1, The End of an Era, by Elizabetht.