Women's Work Ch. 02

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"Wow." said Teresa. "And here I was, wondering if she was totally on the up-and-up."

"Yeah, I was wondering myself." I said. "But this is really good stuff, really deep. Okay, don't tell Julie, but I'm going to have David Krueger independently verify this, and then I'll pass it to Jack Muscone. So... what do you two think?"

Cindy said "That Gang of Four, with Ward, your sister, Karen Harlan and the unknown Number Four. Looks like elements of smuggling."

"I'm thinking it's not The Four." I replied. "My sister and Karen Harlan, who is Karla Warner's daughter, definitely. But the two men may not be involved; this is an All-Woman group."

I then steered the topic around. "Teresa, there were some reports of gun smuggling recently. Anything ever come of that?"


"No sir." said Teresa. "We got some spotty stuff, then it came to nothing. Then it started up again, and we couldn't really get a hold of it. I talked to Sandra Speer of the FBI, and she didn't have any leads, either." Teresa paused, then said: "Sir, this is just a hunch... but have you ever had the feeling you're being played?"

"Sure." I said. "Every time Captain Ross tries to get me into the boxing ring... so she can beat the living shit out of me." Teresa barked a laugh and Cindy waved a blue crowbar in my general direction, but her face had a look of cunning on it.

"Well, sir," said Teresa, "that's what I was beginning to feel about these rumors. That they were just red herrings, distractions. And I need not add that gun-running through the Iron Crowbar's home turf is considered 'ill-advised' by the criminal community."

"Hmmm..." I said. "You know... something you just said... let me ask this: once again, why these particular women to spring from prison?"

"We now know why Cheryl Dunston was one of them." said Cindy. "So she could set up bank accounts and stuff. But not to well, it would seem."

"Yes, so it would seeeeeemmmmm..." I said, my voice barely a whisper.

"Unless those are the 'loss leaders', and they set up other real ones elsewhere." Teresa said.

"Another great point." I replied. "But Julie said the money was the same as the haul from the concert heist, so I doubt they'd put all the money into those accounts if they weren't meant to be real and used by the group. Julie just caught Cheryl..." And then a thought hit me...

"Uh oh, he really is in the zone now." said Cindy as I went into a reverie.

"Okay, ladies..." I said as I came out of it. "Re-issue APBs for the four escapees as well as my sister Elizabeth and Karen Warner Harlan. I suspect they are here, in this County. Cindy, have David Krueger confirm Newton's information. I think it'll be found to be good, but I just want to double check before giving it to Muscone. Teresa, have your people 'get hot' making contacts to see if any smuggling operations are coming into or through this County..."

Part 14 - Impatience

After eating dinner at the Cabin with Nora and Becca, I asked Laura to come out onto the deck with me. We sat on the metal loveseat, Laura sipping some wine. Me, I was staying sober.

"Laura," I asked, "when you took down Wargrave and his arms operations, did anyone replace him?"

"Yes... and no." Laura said. "As you know, the situation over there has become much more volatile. Wargrave would arm both sides, at great profit to himself. Now, sovereign nations are arming factions, and groups capture each other's weapons, and so on. Much uglier, not like it used to be in Wargrave's heyday.

I nodded. "So who are the big arms players over there now, if any?"

Laura said "Since you have a Top Secret clearance, I'll give you the Cliff Notes. The Red Chinese have an entire group of people over there, all of them well-trained agents and smugglers. Several Middle Easterners, of course. Sergei Molotov has dipped his toe in the water, but he's a good example of what you were asking earlier... his competition is the Russian Government, and Mr. Putin doesn't care too much for competition."

"So there's no niche market for privateers to go in and sell arms like Wargrave did?"

"There could be a black market, supplying the bazaars and smaller groups of people." Laura said. "But it wouldn't be very lucrative. That whole region is saturated. The Kurds are underfunded and underarmed, and our own Government is not very helpful to them despite my advice that they should be. That would be a good niche... until people not under my control in the Company are told to go stop it. Terminally."

"What about Africa? Or other places?" I asked.

"Africa may be interesting." Laura said. "But if I'm getting the drift of your questions, you're probably looking at Eastern Europe. Everyone fears the Russians will try to re-conquer the former Soviet States, and want arms to fight the Russians as savagely as possible, to the death. So, what's this about?"

"Well," I said, "I know you've been to some high-level meetings recently, and the FBI brass attended, as well. In return for what you just told me, I'll tell you that I've gotten word that arms are being moved around this country, possibly through this County, and I believe that this Women's Gang, led by my dear sister Elizabeth, is looking to grab some of those guns. The place for Elizabeth to sell them is what I'm trying to figure out; hence, my questions."

"Wow." Laura said. "Not much gets by you."

"So," I replied with a grin, "how much trouble am I in now?"

"Let's just say no more." said Laura. "Stop your sister, if you can. That's all I can say for now."

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

Midnight, beginning of Wednesday, April 13th. Goth Girl Kathy woke up out of a fitful sleep. Something was not right. She got up and put on her jeans, forcing the tight fabric over her succulent ass, then sliding into her t-shirt. Walking around, she saw everyone else asleep... no, wait. Eleanor was not in her bed.

Neither bathroom was being used. A quick check of the entire house showed that the front door was unlocked, and Eleanor was not to be found.

"Elizabeth! Karla!" Kathy said as she hurtled into their room. "Eleanor is gone! She's not here. She snuck out."

"Ah, shit." said Elizabeth, hopping out of bed as Karla groggily came awake. Karen appeared at the doorway, still trying to fit her magnificent ass into her own tight jeans.

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

Laura and the kids were asleep in the master bedroom of the Cabin, and Nora and Becca were in the guest bedrooms. Buddy was half-sleeping in the greatroom, while Bowser and I were on the back deck. His head was lying on my thigh and I was petting him absentmindedly as I considered these issues.

There be strangenesses here, I thought to myself. I can see what my sister Elizabeth is doing, to a point. Cheryl Dunston has financial knowledge and connections. Karla Warner had Dynacorp connections, and maybe some Government contacts or knowledge. Karen Warner Harlan is well connected through her late husband as well as her mother. She's Elizabeth's apprentice as far as smuggling operations go. But why Eleanor? Elizabeth herself has more and better connections to Todd, and the Warner's through Seth. Why Eleanor?

I watched over the Town, seemingly shrouded and colorless in the cloudy skies. I didn't see the train that came out of the western horizon, only hearing its whistle as it crossed a farm road while heading south.

I looked down towards the Mountain Nest. My mother was staying with Cindy, but a couple of lights had been left on to give the impression that it was inhabited. Despite the hatred of the escaped women for me, and indeed Karen Harlan's unappeasable hatred of me and my sister Elizabeth's longstanding animosity, I did not really feel any fear of a threat to myself. But I was duty-bound to protect others.

As I idly looked at our other home, I thought I saw a flickering shadow. That had to be a tree swaying, I thought, but I still picked up the night vision binoculars I had put on the table beside me, and gave that picturesque pile a look.

And to my shock, I saw it: a shadowy figure of a person definitely was running along the side of the house!

I put the binoculars down and got out my Police cellphone and texted Sergeant Rudistan to come make a timely arrest...

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

"What do we do?" asked Cheryl Dunston. "If Eleanor is caught by the Police, she might tell them we're here."

"All right, ladies, pack up." said Elizabeth. "Leave nothing personal behind."

"What if Eleanor just went for a walk?" asked Karla. "When she comes back, we'll be gone."

"That's her problem." said Elizabeth. "Yeah, it sounds harsh, but Eleanor is blown, and so is this place. Let's go, ladies! Move!"

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

Eleanor Burke crept up to the front door of the Mountain Nest, which was illuminated by the streetlight that was at the far end of the gravel driveway/parking lot that was in front of the house. She had gone around back, but that door had been locked. The front door looked more promising, and she could jimmy it open with the chisel she'd found at the safehouse.

It had crossed her mind that something was badly wrong about her 'role' with that group of women. And she had overheard what the Goth Girl had said about her shooting Ned, and the Goth Girl's desire to kill her, Eleanor. She began to see that her only role was to be bait for the Iron Crowbar while the rest of the women went about their scheme... which she, Eleanor, had not been apprised of.

She knew she'd get no chance to kill the Troys, Don and Laura, unless she acted on her own, and quickly. She'd snuck out of the house and managed to hail a cab at the bus station. The ride wasn't all that far, but enough that it'd been too far to walk.

Just as she was about to put the chisel to the jamb, she thought she heard something behind her. Looking back, she saw that she was looking right into the 'business end' of a powerful handgun. On the other end of the gun was Town & County Police Captain Cindy Ross. Behind her was Auxiliary Police Officer Phyllis Troy.

"Get down, lie flat. Spread your arms and legs." Cindy ordered. She then sat on Eleanor's back and was reaching for her police radio when two cars pulled quickly up. They were Police Cruisers. Phyllis showed her Auxiliary Police Badge.

"Well, Officer Troy!" said Sergeant Micah Rudistan with great joviality. "You seem to have found an unauthorized trespasser this evening! Oh, Captain Ross! As usual, you've beaten us to the punch. You sure you're not psychic, ma'am?"

"Yes, Sergeant, I'm sure." said Cindy with a half grin. "Would you be kind enough to transport this prisoner to County Lockup?"

"If one of you will come with us, ma'am." said Rudistan. "We need a female officer to escort a female prisoner, of course." He turned to Eleanor, who was being handcuffed. "Well, Mrs. Burke, what a pleasant surprise! I'm so glad we were able to assist you before you were injured doing something more naughty than nice. The Troys have right vicious dogs in there, and they don't particularly like strangers near the children."

"I'm sure." said Eleanor. "Okay, I'm caught. Get me out of here..."

To be continued.

So, what is Elizabeth's plot? How does she plan to defeat her baby brother, the Iron Crowbar? And what will the Consultant of Crime have to say about all this? Tune in for the exciting conclusion, next chapter!