Words: The Conclusion

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
c1992w
c1992w
534 Followers

She replied, "I can truthfully say not once did I fuck around until I started this nonsense six months ago. There was only one dude for whom I felt a compelling lust a year after we married, but I didn't follow through. I just buried my head in new career track work then, and the desire passed. Those who hit on me after that very wealthy and handsome museum donor never got my serious attention - and there were many hits over the years."

John said, "So why after eleven years did you go out wantonly rabbiting?"

"I don't know all the details, but I went to a Shrink - again. He diagnosed me as having Multiple Personality Disorder five months ago, but I only had the tranquilizing prescription filled yesterday. "

"You know, Sis, my ex-wife who was a Psychology Counselor, as you might recall, said at your wedding reception, that she was suspicious that you had that disorder even then. Assuming she was correct, any idea what made you start being that other personality after all those years?"

"John, I don't know yet, but Dr. Kenner made me an appointment for an MRI brain scan next Wednesday. If there is a tumor, then fucking around is the least of my problems. What I am hoping is that the goddamn coworker Randy just talked me into it after years of daily pressing my buttons - Mike even suggested that possibility. The good news is that I embarrassed Mike into listening to this new revelation this morning, and he promised to check on me from time to time."

John and Kristi high-fived their hands, and he said, "That is great news. I hope you two land on your feet, Sis. I wonder if Mike will forgive your perfidy, though. For what it's worth, I haven't forgiven my first wife under vaguely similar circumstances during a deployment."

After Kristi and John had set her up in the newly leased Apartment- Hotel later, John said, "Mike previously called me, Sis, and told me to please accompany you to pick up your personal effects in his apartment - I have access to the new door key. Want to go over there to get the remainder of your underwear and things like that before we call it a day?"

His sister looked at him and said, "Really! God almighty I love that man! Let's go and get them."

--

It was late afternoon Thursday when Mike Absalom sunk into his first class seat - his company didn't pay for that, but he upgraded with his frequent flyer miles. He had gone to dinner with the President of the Local on Tuesday night and had breakfast with the CEO on Wednesday morning. The serious negotiations started just after lunch on Wednesday, and the two parties initialed a draft of the results today about 3:00 p.m. Mike felt crappy about this one because no one was happy with the outcome. The CEO understood that some wage increase was necessary to keep the workers on the job, and the Local president grasped that the percent raise that his steering committee insisted on, could not happen without bankrupting the company. This Mediator understood both positions and that the initialed comprimise was the stuff from which tense, unsafe, and unhappy workplaces came. Mike felt a kind of job satisfaction in that there would not be a strike and both principals respected him.

As the airplane lifted off from Ohara, Mike's mind turned to Kristi. He had vivid memories of them racing their new mountain bikes along a very rough mountainous trail, chiding each other to push harder. He then remembered when they both collapsed at the same time onto the prickly grass, 99% exhausted. He vividly recalled the pattern the clouds then made as they lazily gazed together up at the sky. The two even had a playful nonsense argument about what the thunderheads said about Mike and Kristi's future together. At that time, neither could comprehend that a day would come when they were not together.

He adjusted his comfort collar and said to himself, "That day is here as I am going home to an empty apartment. He mused, "Kristi is gone." And then he suddenly set up in his seat and said, "But I will see her from time to time." At that point, he remembered the three's confrontation and then grimaced. He lay back down, then placed his Quiet headphones on his head and drifted off to sleep doing his meditation exercise.

On Friday evening after a day of debriefing in the office, he went with a group to Happy hour at a Micro-Brewery. It was noisy and the place smelled like beer, but Mike enjoyed the salted peanuts, and a few funny jokes circulated. He was happy to be around associates he had come to know over the years - and two he liked. One was a junior Mediator, who was a happily married mother of two. She and Mike talked shop and driving home later Absalom congratulated himself for being so caught up in a conversation that he didn't think about Kristi once - until he was alone driving home. He heard his cell phone beep and pulled over to read it in hopes that it was from Kristi. But it was from her brother: "Mike, I got Kristi moved into the ... After she told me what she did and the result, I can only say good luck in the future, and I am sorry. I will be in your neighborhood a week from Wednesday -how about a burger and a beer at Charley's about 8:00 p.m. so I can return your door key?"

He replied: "See you there."

At home, he saw that all her clothes and cosmetics were gone. He sat down to regroup after the shock of seeing the empty spaces. He then bought a porn download with the intention of masturbating but was unable to get past the opening credits before he turned off the TV and looked for a book. The lonely man then began reading a W.E.B. Griffin historical war novel about a U.S. Marine Corporal stationed in Shanghai in the late 1930s. Mike became so caught up in the masterpiece until he couldn't put it down until he finished it at 3:45 a.m. For one make-believe, but a seemingly real moment, WEBG's book told of the corporal and a woman falling madly in love with each other at their first meeting. He visualized the woman as looking like Kristi and 'fell in love' with her. And then he collapsed back into the real world and fell into a sound sleep with a smile on his face.

--

It was the Wednesday night Kristi knew that Mike would be at Charlie's Pub. She had gotten her MRI Scan results back, and it showed a healthy brain. Kristi entertained the idea of going over to where John had told her that he was meeting Mike for a burger and beer, but decided against it. She texted her ex-husband: "Scan showed no biological problem in my brain - what I did was obviously my decision. I am taking my meds, and feel changes happening in my head. I love only you. K"

Mike looked up the name on the medicine on the internet and found that it was, indeed, for personality disorders after reading her email. His response in his head was simply an audible, "hmmm."

John Fenton and Mike Absalom sat at a table in Charley's, and both were eating a burger. The subject of John's sister had yet to come up. John finally said, "Kristi told me that she signed and returned your divorce petition to your attorney yesterday. After it's filed in the courthouse, want me to come over and referee while you guys divvy your assets?"

"No, John. My tortured mind vacillates back and forth about your sister. For example, right this moment I find myself looking for reasons to communicate with her - because, dammit, I miss her! This morning I had blown the whole subject of Kristi out my mind. But, a replacement woman could never give me the joy she has given me because we were an item for ten plus years. And then again, I want to take my chances on a new person from an Internet dating site, but people, in general, are so screwed up nowadays. The probability of finding a two-way love affair - and by extension, happiness - for a thirty-something would not be zero - but close. Remember, 'Mizz You'll do' won't work for me. So I am in limbo until I decide what to do."

Fenton replied, "Yes, I agree - my recommendation is to think long and lucidly without your feelings being in control. Society is now a sorry mess, and it's made messier every day by people out to fix it. I can see your dilemma out on the 'Meet' market - 'been there and done that.' You could find another 'you'll do love' and face the same odds of her fucking around as they would be if you and Kristi were back together. But there are compatible gems out there in the world, somewhere. Hey, Buddy, get it through your head. My sister fucks around and did a whole lot of it before you two were married. That is a given: Ask yourself if you seriously think you would like to have her back in your life?"

Mike shrugged his shoulder and said, "Yeah, I guess I would, but for the moment, you have talked me out of it. He put his apartment key that John had handed him in a pocket and said, "Many thanks for your assistance here, John, and it won't be necessary for you to referee the property split of the furniture items if and when it comes to that."

The two finished their beer and making small talk and parted as friends with plans to get together at least once a month.

One month after the attorney had filed the brief, Kristi came over to meet her ex-husband on a Saturday morning. She brought a box of yard bags. Mike greeted her at the door and smiled, "Come in, Dear ex-wife. You're looking good - I presume your hotel-apartment has a gym, and you apparently use it."

"Thank you, Mike, and yes, I do. I also see you have been also hitting healthy food and going to the gym, and it goes without saying that it is an overwhelming pleasure to see you again. In fact, I am elated since a deputy sheriff was not required to be present while we divvy up our stuff."

Mike said, "I have fresh coffee and some small bran muffins, care to sit down and discuss the distribution while we enjoy the pastry?"

She smiled and grasped his hand and said, "Wonderful. May I lead the way?"

"Certainly."

Mike thought, "Oh hell! Is she role playing again like its normal for her to be in charge when in this apartment? I wonder why I don't resent that? Probably it's because I am very dizzy being this close to her yet can not touch her."

Kristi thought, "So far, so good. I must be very careful that he doesn't learn from me that all I think about is him. Damn it! There has been one internet date and when I saw the guy I just went up to him and said, 'I should not have agreed to a first date, but you should understand that this coffee with me would be a complete waste of both your and my time.' Strange, but the dude looked as if he read her pain and said, 'Time is a great healer, Kristigirl - please keep my ID on file, if you would.'"

The negotiations between Kristi and Mike drug on and soon there was some laughter as they agreed and compromised in several cases. When she began bagging the small articles that she would take, her arms felt like they were moving in wet cement. Mike helped his ex-wife load the bags of Cds, kitchen utensils, linen, etc. into her car. Then they sat down and Mike made them both a PBJ sandwich and poured each a beverage. Kristi took a drink and said, "My next task is to rent a storage room and then hire movers to come over and deliver the tagged furniture items there until I move to something permanent. I spend long hours at the museum now, for reasons you can imagine, Mike."

There was a silence, and her Ex said, "Is is possible that you and James will patch up your relationship?"

Her one-word reply was, "No," and did not elaborate initially and then after a silence added, James is on probation at work, and I hope he is looking for something else."

Mike then talked about his increased travel he had volunteered for and other minutia going on in the office and concluded by saying, "When I get some time, I will probably join eHarmony to look for companionship."

She raised her eyebrows but said nothing on that topic. She finally said, "I had an internet 'one date,' and walked into Starbucks but gave up before trying to talk to him." She suppressed a yawn and continued, "It's getting late, and I need to say goodbye before I fall asleep after all that physical work we did," as she offered her hand to shake his, "Thanks for helping me load the car, Mike."

--

While driving to her apartment-hotel, Kristi's thoughts were streaming from different parts of her brain. Part one said, "Well, I guess it's over. I remember my grandpa's words of wisdom: 'You are responsible for every single decision you make, Kristi, and will be so for the rest of your life." Wow, Pop made that statement when I entered senior high school. My, why did that man not win a Nobel prize?" Another part chimed in, "Oh God! If only Mike would call.." Part one screamed again, "Stop saying that, you stupid Bitch, and find someone else!" and then another part said, "You can forget someone else, just look for a big cock who wants to use your body as a masturbation toy." Then the original Part one replied, "No, there must be more to life than that, and I for sure will not lower myself to being a Randy's fuck toy!"

At the same time, Mike sat at his home office desk trying to read the Denver case essentials handed him Friday. He dreaded the upcoming flight Wednesday and said, "Damn, I don't want to leave the Bay area for a reason I can not define - I wonder why?" He logged into two dating sites and browsed around until his eyes were forcing themselves closed into sleep and then crashed into his bed with a novel.

--

It was just over three months later. Mikes employer was growing, and the Mediation services they provided were humming with activity. He did buy one Escort date for an evening, and the two even had a good time at Sea World before she spent the night with him. His thoughts on Sunday morning after she had left were "That was nice, but I didn't get value for my money - but damn! What a delectable Ass that invited touching!"

Kristi had given up on dating after her first failed attempt and focused on telephone solicitation of funds. She worked late in the office rather than taking it home to work, and she often solicited donations from previous donors. One such benefactor, with whom she had been friends for many years, and who lived alone in a Penthouse, and Kristi became an item. The gentleman was 82 years old and still did winter hunting in B. Columbia backwoods. He had made his fortune by building up a fleet of fishing vessels. One evening he took her to a $$$$ restaurant for dinner. She cut into a filet mignon with her fork, as he talked in this very plush and almost secret restaurant. He said, "Kristi thank you for all the attention you have been giving me because you are good for me, and I like your company - in fact if hanging out with me in the evenings are enjoyable, you are welcome here anytime. You are very relaxed and talkative about your life when you visit, and I love it. Not one of my progeny ever visits to just sit and chat the way you do."

Well, Fred, I enjoy looking out over the city and ask myself(s) introspective questions since it appears my ex-husband will not forgive me, and that makes reconciliation impossible. I am lonely for love and don't know how to win it again - if, in fact, I can ever win it again."

"I am sorry, Kristi. My opinion is that you should go on with your life and love will come. If later you and Mike want to get back together, good, and if not, that is also good. You have no other choice."

She smiled and said, "Yes, I have concluded that as well. But, Mike has ruined me for another man and wanton sex day-to-day is out of the question, So I bury my head in work and focus on meaningful friendships - like yours - another Prince comes to my life."

"Well, the most painful thing I ever did was push my bride's corpse into the crematorium and say my final goodbye after 68 years. I asked myself then, 'Just how I fill the void she left?' I was too old for productive work and sat on a pile of money and decided to make friendships. I make annual donations to five 301(c)'s like yours, but you, uniquely, never had your hand out when we talked. Moreover, your hard knocks have taught you enough about life until your conversations are never proforma solicitations, boring and trite. So you are welcome here while you sort out your future."

Kristi smiled at her aging friend and said, "Our weekly get together evenings are the big event for me, Fred. I enjoy holding your hand and am grateful that you sense it's not a solicitation gesture."

Fred asked, "Changing subjects, what exactly do you hear from Mike?"

She sadly smiled and says, "He texts and asks me how I am doing, and how my job is going and things like that. He travels more than he did when we were together as their company has grown geographically and have entered some new markets. It has been, what, a Year since you last saw Mike at a fun raiser award ceremony, right?"

Fred smiled and said, "Yeah. His ability to make us senior citizen donors feel at ease with his jokes that were funny to us, though they may not have been funny for the younger people, impressed me." There was silence for a moment as if something were on his mind, and he continued, "Will you call Uber, Kristi, as I need to be getting home?"

When the van stopped outside his high-rise building, Kristi held tightly to him as he feebly walked into the lobby and then the elevator and then to his top floor unit. Once inside his Penthouse, she said, "Well, your LVN has your cover turned back and you are ready to fall in bed at your leisure."

His guest was at the front door thanking him for the dinner and he ask, "Do you suppose that Mike would have a catered dinner up here with you and me? And would that do any good, because I hate to see you so unhappy. Why not ask him, he just might, if you would like - all I need is a two-day notice to arrange for the catering."

She said, with not much hope, "I will try, Fred. Thanks for the invitation, and thank you for caring for a mixed up woman."

As soon as Kristi sat in her car, she emailed Mike: Museum's largest donor, Fred Epstein - you should remember the spry old gentleman - has invited you and me to be his guests for dinner in his Penthouse atop the Galaxy High-rise. Interested?

Mike, FYI. I won't lie so there is no larger than usual chunk of money for the museum if you accept. But it would make me happy, and you and I could eat the best food available while overlooking the city and Bay area."

The next morning his response was: "It's tempting, but I had better not until... When I am an old man, I will remember this passed over opportunity."

Kristi sobbed reading his response and asked herself, "dare I hope that the 'unil...' means he is pondering on our getting back together again?

It was nine o'clock five days later after a trying work day, but Kristi had a smile on her face though because James had resigned. She then hurriedly placed an employment ad and alerted the usual headhunters to replace him. The increasing store and ticket sales were music to her ears. With her new enthusiasm, she conducted more of the tours. Exhaustion racked her body and sleeping were on her mind daily, but especially today as she pulled into the parking lot of her apartment-hotel. In the lobby, there stood Mike Absalom with a dozen red roses in his hands. She stopped, and they smiled at each other.

"He walked up to her and said, "Greetings ex-wife. How are you?"

"A lot better, since I saw you here, Mike. Come on up, as I think the apartment is not too messy for a gentleman caller and I have a bottle of wine that is open."

She smelled the roses that Mike had handed her and had a momentary illusion that her tiredness had evaporated. Once in her apartment, she got a bottle out of the frig and two glasses. She said, make yourself at home while I refresh myself - fancy that I managed to look like Witch Hazel on the one day you visited."

c1992w
c1992w
534 Followers