Work and Play Pt. 08

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Gabe kisses me again and again, and then my phone vibrates. I didn't notice the missed call from Grayson, but Shannon's calling now.

"It's me."

"Zeke? The police are here but I don't see you—do you know what's going on?"

"No... not really," I lie. "I'll let you know when I figure it all out. Are you okay?"

"Wait—I see Clay Edgar with the police. I'm going to find out what's going on."

I scoff. "Shannon, can you just try to make sure everyone is comfortable and having a good time still? I'll be there soon to help out but I just don't want this to take up everyone's time." As I speak, Gabe kisses my hand.

"Alright, Zeke. Call me later."

--

I told the police I'd rather handle this matter elsewhere. I'd rather Clay have workplace consequences rather than getting the actual law involved. The whole situation is completely weird and out of control. I just want everything to stay below the radar.

The worst part is, Gabriel had to leave for his plane. I'm virtually alone, unless I want to invest my trust in Jiao. Even then, I didn't know where she was while I was at the recreation center.

The officers agreed to get me out of the room as sneakily as possible, but Shannon was in the line of fire, even though most people were distracted with something else. "Zeke?! Zeke—"

"Can I?" I asked one of the officers. He nodded. I waved Shannon over, and she hugged me. "Don't panic. I got into it with Clay Edgar—the police were called. I'm not hurt or anything. I gotta go—I'll let you know how it goes."

It didn't go smoothly.

The questions I was asked confused me, and I almost ended up having a panic attack.

Now I sit here in a room, waiting for some other higher-up to ask me questions. I know I should wait for a lawyer, but I don't even want the situation to continue. I don't care anymore. Clay can do whatever he wants at this point as long as he leaves me alone.

There's a knock at the door, and a woman peeks her head inside. Short, brown hair and bangs, brown eyes, black suit. She really looks the part. "Hello? I'm Lacey Roth here to ask you a few questions. Do you first want a lawyer present?" I shake my head 'no'. "You're sure?"

"I just want this to be over with," I sigh. My throat is dry, my eyes are dry—I just want to go home.

"Well, Mr. Hartigan, I'll be recording this entire conversation, if that's okay with you?" I nod. "I need verbal—"

"Yes, you may record our conversation, on the record," I interrupt. Lacey nods, says a quick okay, and sets the recorder on the table. "How long will this take?" I ask.

"We never know, but I want us to be thorough and diligent. Can we start with the events leading up to tonight's encounter with Clay Edgar?"

"Yes."

"How do you know Clay Edgar?"

"Workplace associate."

"Acquaintances?"

"Absolutely not."

-

I don't know how I handled calls from just about everyone who has my cell number—including Sean—but I'm curled up on my bed with a glass of water and a bag of trail mix by the time I can finally breathe. Gabe is on his plane, so he can't call me.

I don't know how many times I told Lacey Roth I didn't want any legal shit pressed against Clay, but I made it clear I was leaving it up to the company. Also known as Gabriel.

I compose a text.

ZEKE: Thank you for being amazing

I stare at it. Not good enough.

ZEKE: Thank you for being the most amazing person I know right now.

Still not good enough. How do I just SAY what I need to say in the midst of all this bullshit?

ZEKE: Thank you for being the most amazing person I know right now. You just left and I can't wait for you to be back here. Thank you and sorry for this happening right when you're supposed to leave.

I hit send. He won't be able to text me back for a second, but it's fine. I took sleeping pills ten minutes ago. I'll be out pretty soon here. An early night is probably for the best.

God, he's so good to me.

Even hours later, when I've been asleep for a while, I wake up to the ding of my phone.

GABE: You're the best thing about me right now.

GABE: <3

I fall asleep again on a tear-soaked pillow.

*

*

*

*

A/N: Thank you for reading! More sexytime coming next chapter. I know this one was lacking a bit. This story is far from over.