World of Ranicke 04

Story Info
Jim gets his totem.
13k words
4.81
15.5k
20

Part 4 of the 19 part series

Updated 06/07/2023
Created 09/30/2013
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
maxd01
maxd01
656 Followers

One thing Jim was glad about was that the showers were somewhat isolated. They had shielding on three sides and he made sure that his back was obstructed by the girls or by the shower stalls. It wasn't that he wasn't proud of the scars, to be honest he was and wasn't. He was proud that he was able to save her since that was what he signed on for. He wasn't because he had shown his killer inside.

Once he was done getting clean he toweled off and took his time pulling the clothing on. In this case he looked at the ladies and then at Thomas. "Ladies I think in this case I need Thomas's help. It just feels right." He gave all three a hug and kiss but turned away.

Jim pulled on the pants and shirt and was getting ready to tuck the shirt in as he normally did. Thomas stopped him. "Loosely James, loosely. You are going to be showing the tribes how you deserved the bear totem. Go ahead and put on your knife and other weapon since you have earned them." Thomas made sure that his soft boots were on snuggly and the pants were neatly tucked in.

Jim left the pants slightly loose but made sure the holster and knife were secured. He allowed Thomas to affix the apprentice band on and the silver bracelet but nothing else. Jim had been alternating the various bracelets so that everyone knew that he appreciated them. Tonight though was for one purpose and one only. One thing he had discovered was that the bracelets were a main way of saying thanks for things. If he had used all the ones he had gathered his right arm would be covered from wrist to elbow. He had also discovered that you would, or could choose one or two a day and all were happy.

As they had been marching along he had been forced to pick up a branch and using his knife had pealed the bark off and use it to walk with. He hadn't expected the move to be quite as active as it had been and between carrying the axe and Corwith was more than he had expected and the staff helped a great deal. Both Thomas and the ladies had noticed and brought it up and he found that he had been given more caravan riding than scouting. It bothered him but he did understand though by the last day he was doing much better.

As he had been telling stories he had been working on carving Celtic knots on the staff once he had skinned it. To be honest he should use a kiln dried piece of wood but this would do for the time being till I might be able to get one. Very few people appeared to have them on this world unless they were the older generation. He wasn't sure if they realized they could be a weapon as well. He sort of hoped not since it would give him an edge.

"Now what Thomas? What comes next?" They had talked some about the ceremony but it was rather generic and Jim had a feeling that was deliberate on Moran's decision. Now that he was dressed he found that he was missing the axe that would be given to him as well as the necklace during the ceremony.

Thomas smiled at him. "You will be introduced to both clans. You will get to listen to the story of how you battled the bear and then be given the necklace and axe." His expression took on a darker expression. "You might receive a challenge from the other tribe to prove you are worth it. If so I would strongly recommend you pick an axe. Not the one you are to be given but a different one."

Jim gave him a grim smile. "I have a weapon I can and will use that will shock most people. I will not go down swinging what so ever. If they take me down it is going to be in a messy fight." He had been taught to kill and though he wouldn't he would use every skill he had to deal with the challenge. "So if there is a challenge how does it work?"

Thomas grimaced slightly. "Well technically you are still injured so you could put it off till you are healed but that would look bad. Now if you were on a stretcher or was sworn to by a healer than you couldn't find that would be one thing but..." He sighed. "Right now it would look bad. If you are challenged you have the choice of weapons which is why I was suggesting the axe. I know you are good with it."

Jim considered and then grinned. "I think I will surprise them all and even you. No I am not going to shoot him or toss my knife at him but still if I am challenged he is going to be feeling really stupid." There was an evil grin on his face when he said that. "Oh is there a challenge circle or something?"

Thomas nodded. "Normally there would be one somewhere but here not really as such. It would normally take place on one side or the other of the circle. Normally if you are challenged you would choose your side since it would give you an emotional advantage."

About then the horns started blowing and Thomas urged him in the direction of the center of the right. "Are you sure you want the staff?" As far as he knew he was simply using it to help with walking. When Jim gave him an evil look he started worrying. Jim was up to something and that worried him.

As Jim headed towards the low podium he did limp since the wound on his left cheek did still hurt but the staff helped. As he and Thomas walked towards the podium the tribe separated for the two of them. Jim felt rather odd hearing the whispering as the two of them walked past. He knew in a way this was his day since he was being honored but it felt just so odd. As they were walking he decided to treat it like he was getting an award while in the military.

"Yes I do want the staff. It still hurts a bit to walk and this way I can walk without a limp." The one wound that went below his waist had gone into the muscle and had internal sutures as well. They had healed but he had a feeling he was going to have slight limp for the rest of his life. It wouldn't keep him from being a warrior but would take time to completely heal.

As he approached the circle he noticed a low platform and Thomas quietly urged him up on it and then stepped behind him off to one side. There was a small table that had the necklace and axe on it. Thomas took his position next to the table and waited for the fun and games to start. The new chief of the Puma Tribe was a bit of a hot head and he was expecting a challenge and especially since Jim was a human.

Chief Moran waited for Jim to approach and he stopped somewhat sort of him and gave him a respectful bow. "As requested I present myself to the Chief of the Soran tribe." Jim stood tall though he was very slightly leaning against the staff.

Moran gave him a smile. "Welcome Jim. Welcome to the ceremony where you will be awarded your totem necklace and your weapon." As he was talking he waved towards the table with the items he was talking about.

The puma chief looked at the human and almost sneered at him. "Making a human a warrior and on top of that giving him a totem for a bear? What kind of crap is this?"

Jim raised an eyebrow and looked at Moran and got a nod from him. "I accept your challenge. It will be on your side of the neutral circle and you can use the weapon of your choice." He took his belt off and handed it to Thomas since he didn't want to do something stupid like shoot the idiot.

The puma chief smirked when Jim took the belt off and simply stood there with a staff of wood and nothing else other than some bracelet he was wearing. It looked like an apprentice bracelet which only made him sneer even more. By giving him his side of the circle he was giving him the emotional advantage. It never occurred to him that Jim was using it to his advantage.

Jim stripped his shirt off sine he didn't want it damaged since it had been given to him by Sorrel. His tribe cheered since they could see the scars from the bear. The other scars shown in the firelight and covered most of his chest and got a gasp from the other tribe. He moved to the other side of the circle and stood there with the staff in front of him. "Well? Bring it on Chief. I am getting hungry and would like to get this over."

The chief leapt forward and snapped his sword out and swung at the insulting human. He was completely expecting to take him down first blow. Granted he would be pulling it to keep from really hurting him but he still expected to take him down quickly.

Jim didn't think twice before snapping the staff up and slapped the sword away and casually nailed him in the ribs. It wasn't hard but it was enough to let him know he cared. Jim moved back and simply waited for the Chief to react.

The Chief couldn't believe that he had not only blocked but hit him as well. For half a moment he froze and then swung again. He was still trying not to hurt him to much but now he was going to get his ass thrashed. He took a different swing and was shocked when it was blocked again and he was nailed in the thigh.

The fight was not pretty for the Chief since Jim took his time to chase the chief around the circle. By the time Jim was done he nailed his forehead with the staff and knocked him out. By now everyone had seen the scars on his back and the fight with the chief.

Jim used the staff to limp back to the platform and waved Thomas away when he came to help. "I will do this by myself." That was a very quiet murmur. He had several minor lacerations and the old healer growled.

"Damn it not again. You are going to need some sutures." As she moved towards him he shook his head.

"Later. Just dress them and I will have you deal with them later." That took several minutes before his wounds were dressed and then he pulled his shirt back on and added the belt. He turned to the chief and stood proud. As far as the other chief he pretty much ignored him. "Was the challenge acceptable Chief Moran?"

"It was and time for you to be given your totem." He turned to Thomas and took the necklace from him and held it for a moment. "Warrior Jim earned this, the sign of his totem, by helping to save one of the children of the tribe. Yes there were other warriors there but Jim took the bear on virtually single handed and even after receiving critical wounds proceeded to kill the bear to protect Tonya." He draped the necklace around his neck.

"As is normal when one earns his totem one is given the weapon they used. Normally it is a special weapon designed for the attempt." With a slight grin he had Thomas hand him the axe. "This is an average axe, used for cutting down trees, lopping branches off, and other similar work. In a way this represents Jim. He simply wants to be an average tribe member."

Moran smiled at Jim and then the tribe. "He even felt accepting simple gifts wasn't something he could do because he felt he was simply doing his job." He hefted the axe. "I guess you could say in a way this represents Jim perfectly, good solid tool that does its job and doesn't expect anything else." He held his hand out and Thomas handed him a finely tooled sheath.

"Jim feels he is a simple man and on the outside he is. On the inside he is a special man. He is the apprentice to Master Songsmith Eldon. He has been spending mornings with Master Eldon and the children teaching and learning. In the afternoons he has been working on being a warrior." He stroked the leather of the sheath. "I had the sheath tooled to show just how special he is." It was lovely work. He sheathed the axe and handed it over to Jim.

When Jim took the axe and sheath his hands were shaking slightly and he had to lower his head. He stroked the leather and gave a shuddering breath. "God this is beautiful. I would say I don't deserve it but I have a feeling the warrior master would proceed to kick my butt around the training circle." He gave everyone a wan smile and got a laugh.

Master Eldon came up with his Corwith and handed it to him. "I think this would be a good time to play something that means something to you." He leaned forward, "not 'that' song but one that speaks of how you feel."

Oh man that was asking for a lot. Right now he was still pissed by the challenge and the song that came to mind was on the insulting side. "This is a song called 'as good as I once was' by an artist named Toby Keith." He launched into it with a wide grin and a definite insulting tone with some parts. They didn't know that in the end he got beat up. Once done he handed he instrument back and grinned.

"I am getting a bit older and long in the tooth but it is nice to know that I can keep up with the youngsters." Just for good measure he slapped Thomas on the shoulder before turning to the chief.

Moran gave him a look that promised he would get him back. He knew that the song was aimed at the other Chief. "Well let the festivities begin and let us give thanks for having a new warrior." He urged Jim forward towards the three women.

They moved forwards and gathered him up and directed him to the main table and settled around him. "Wonder if he would be up for a good evening." Sorrel asked the other two and laughed when he turned red.

"Well the healer did clear him for some activities..." Nasha glanced at Nora and ignored Jim as he tried not to choke on that. If they kept this up he was going to end up doing something the damn bear hadn't and die.

"I might just find a place to hide tonight where you can't find me..." He started laughing as he took a sip of something similar to beer and smiled when a young lady brought him some food and was blushing the entire time. He guessed she was maybe 15 and was probably beyond honored to be serving him.

The three ladies laughed and started treating him as the honored guest he was. They were taking small snippets of their food and feeding him. It felt really weird to be treated this way. "You know I can feed myself." Damn it he was blushing again and looked down at the table. "I really don't feel..." God what to say. He felt so strange for getting honored this way for doing nothing. Well nothing to him. "I feel so strange just for what I did. I know I saved a child and you won't ever make me feel differently or I will be a different person."

Nora leaned forward and stroked his cheek. "We don't want you to be different but you saved my baby and you do deserve to be honored for it." She leaned forward and gave him a gentle kiss and wrapped her arms around him. "Jim I want you to be honored for what you did but you are right. I don't want you to change either. I want you to get the respect that you deserve." She kept a hold on him and stroked his hair and back. Nora lightly touched the necklace. "You didn't even hesitate to do what was needed and that is why you have this."

His world was so different if he felt so strange for getting such respect. "If you had done this in your world what would you have gotten?" She was truly curious because his reaction was so strange. To Nora his world seemed almost incomprehensible if he wouldn't have gotten something.

Jim took a bite of food from Nasha and contemplatively chewed on it. "Well it would really depend on where it happened in my world." He looked down at the surface of the table and sort of drew doodles with his fingers. For some reason it helped him think. "If I had still been in the military I would probably have given me some sort of medal."

He took another bite from one of the ladies and smiled at the burst of spice. "You had better start eating as well or you might starve." Jim took a sip. If I was a civilian I would get some sort of plaque and a small ceremony." He took another sip. "If I had been working where I was when I had been there would have been a note in my personnel jacket and nothing else." It wasn't something he had ever really thought about before.

All three women looked rather shocked though they didn't realize what he meant by medal's or awards. It never occurred to him that though they were talking the same language it might as well be different. The words meant different things to each and they simply didn't know the right questions to ask or answer.

The three women simply looked at him and shook their heads. It seemed so strange that they decided they were going to spoil him rotten tonight. As they were sitting there Tonya came up and wiggled her way into his lap and he gave her a good hug. Just to make things even he sliced off a small bite of what appeared to be a tenderloin and fed the little girl. As she was munching on it he gave her a hug and looked at his mother. "I am glad I did what I did."

Jim rested his head on the little girl's and had a mixed look on his face. His eyes were closed and he thought about his nephew and wished he had a child or two as well. Damn it recently it seemed all he had been wanting to cry or crying. He knew that part of it was such a change of world. They did things so differently, the totem thing, being awarded for who he was.

He stroked her ears and gave them a sad smile. Before he could actually start crying someone cleared their throat and Jim's instantly cleared his face. He handed Tonya to one of the women and stood up and turned. When he did he found the Puma Chief standing there. "Good evening Chief how may I help you?"

The Puma chief took a bracelet off and carefully tied it around his wrist. "For a human you fight very well and this is in respect for what you managed to do." He gave him a wintery smile. "Next time please avoid the rather insulting song." With a nod he turned and walked away from the table and Jim stood there for a moment before he sat down. "God now what?" He lightly banged his head against the table.

Moran walked past and patted him on the shoulder. "I figured you might need to go to the women's tent to learn our ways as well." Jim was looking at the table when Moran said that and banged his head even more. Moran walked away laughing his tail off. He had a tribe member on each arm, one from each tribe. It was obvious that he was finding great amusement at Jim's reaction.

All three ladies were snickering as well though Tonya was confused. "Well it might be a good learning experience for him." Sorrel added. Just for good measure she gave him a knowing look.

Nasha and Nora snickered as well. "Might give him an urge to have a few babies as well. Wonder who would get him to get them pregnant first." Nasha looked at him out of the corner of her eye and had to grin when he settled for just leaving his head on the table.

"I hate all of you and I might take Moran to the training circle." He knew that Moran had been teasing him and so had been the ladies and he sighed. "I think I am going to become a hermit in some comfortable cave." Now he was teasing them since he figured they deserved it as well.

Nora looked horrified at that idea. "Good god no fun? That sounds utteraby horrible. We need to tie him to a bed to keep him from doing that." Tonya was munching on her small plate of food and Nasha was helping her.

Jim sat up and smirked at her. "You deserved that." He leaned over and stroked Tonya's ears and smiled when she mock growled at him and he had to laugh. "Okay, I won't get between you and your food." She gave him a toothy smile before she eventually finished eating. It wasn't much longer before she started yawning and he smiled at her. Jim gathered her close and held her.

"For her alone all this was worth it." He closed his eyes and relaxed his head on hers and a few tears leaked out. "I don't give a crap about the rest of it but this, she is totally worth it." Damn it he wasn't planning on crying but holding the little girl was just too much. "I would have done it for anyone, any child that needed help."

Sorrel shared looks with the other two and moved over and wrapped an arm around him and Tonya on the other. Both pulled him close and simply held him. Now this was something more along lines of what they had expected from him. Several of the warriors that had worked with him took position around the table to make sure that they had room.

All of them had learned to respect Jim's abilities and how he had sort of been a rather retiring person. They had been keeping an eye on him and when he started crying with Tonya in his lap they knew that was the response they had expected. The ceremony meant less to him than saving the little girl. The last thing he needed was people hassling him.

maxd01
maxd01
656 Followers