Yakima Ch. 05-06

Story Info
A Person of Interest.
10k words
4.72
30.8k
28

Part 3 of the 7 part series

Updated 06/08/2023
Created 08/03/2017
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
coaster2
coaster2
2,595 Followers

Chapter 5 A Person of Interest

The divorce would be final on December 29th, just before New Year's. Between now and then, I had to establish a permanent residence suitable for the children and I had to work out a visitation schedule for them as well. Whether I liked it or not, I had to deal with Reese.

"I thought we should get together to discuss the shared custody arrangements," I said when I called my soon-to-be ex-wife."

"Yes ... all right. When do you want to do that?"

"Could we meet at the house on Friday afternoon? The kids will be in school and we won't be interrupted."

"Yes ... that would be fine. Would you like to come to lunch?"

"No, thank you. I can't make it until two-thirty, if that's all right with you."

"Yes, that's okay. I'll see you then." She sounded down, but I really didn't worry why.

I pulled into the driveway just after two-thirty Friday afternoon and stepped out of my car. I saw Reese waiting for me at the front door. She stepped back as I came up the stairs, inviting me to enter. It seemed very strange to be invited into my own home. It still was legally mine until the divorce was final.

"Let's go into the kitchen," Reese suggested. No surprise there. It was her main room and the most likely place to find her, even if she was just having a coffee or reading the paper.

"Would you like a coffee? I made some fresh," she said.

"Sure, thanks."

I had brought a calendar with me to discuss how we would arrange the system and to make sure there was no misunderstanding about who had Jess and Matt on which days.

"Do you have any preference how we do this?" I asked.

"I haven't even thought about it. It doesn't start until you have a place for them. When will that be?"

"The first week of November. I've bought a townhouse in Summitview. That will keep Matt and Jess in the same school district."

"That's good. I'm glad you thought of that," she said, still with a detectable note of sadness.

"I thought about alternating every two weeks, but when I looked at the calendar, it meant that they would be with the same parent over both Thanksgiving and Christmas. I didn't think that was fair."

She nodded. "I understand. What will work?"

"I'm willing to start off with two weeks, then you would have them for three weeks, which would look after Thanksgiving. I would take them for three weeks, which would include Christmas. Or ... we could reverse that and I have them for Thanksgiving and you have them for Christmas. I'll let you decided which you prefer."

"Why are you being so nice about this?" she asked with a bewildered look.

"This isn't about you and me, Reese," I said, looking her right in the eye. "This is about Jess and Matt and what's best for them. Remember what Judge Patriquin said. We weren't to use the children as pawns in a battle. I'm trying to be reasonable, but I won't let myself get shortchanged."

"I wouldn't do that, Graham. I thought you knew me better than that."

"I thought I knew you better, period," I said, again fixing her gaze.

"If I agree to your suggestion, what can we do to both have the children at Christmas? I know their grandparents will want to be with them, but I'm probably not on your parents' list of favorite people anymore."

"We could agree that one of us would have them on Christmas Eve, the other on Christmas Day. I doubt they would object," I suggested.

I could see her nod agreement, so I furthered my suggestion. "I'll volunteer to have them on Christmas Eve, then bring them over here on Christmas morning. Is that agreeable?"

"Yes ... that's more than fair," she said with a look of relief.

"Okay, then, it's settled. Once Christmas is over, we can settle in to three week segments or would you prefer two?"

"Let me think about it," she requested. "Maybe I should talk to Jess and Matt and see what they would be happy with."

"Good idea. Let me know what you decide. You can get me on my cell for the time being. When I move, I'll let you know my new phone number. I'm sure we'll be talking off and on."

"Thank you, Graham. You've been very good about this. I'm sorry I've caused you so much hurt. I never wanted it to be this difficult. I let myself ... well ... never mind. There's nothing I can say to make it right."

"Let's agree not to talk about it anymore. It's over, Reese. Except for the legalities of the final decree, it's over."

She nodded and I thought I saw the beginnings of a tear. I rose, thanked her for the coffee, and left. I had accomplished what I'd come for and I was satisfied that Reese was reasonable and agreeable to my suggestions.

I had a thought on my way back to the office that I might just cover my ass by emailing Reese a summary of what we had agreed to. A copy to Miles Hoffman would be visible on her copy. It took very little time to compose a memo and send it off. Just before I left for the afternoon, I received an email from Miles with a two word comment. "Well done!"

I suppose it was inevitable that I would lose contact with Reese's parents. They would be able to see their grandchildren over the holidays without any problem. I had no idea of what their attitude toward me might be, but my focus was largely on my children and my parents. Selfish, I suppose, but my life had been jolted into an involuntary change in the last six months and I was still scrambling to catch up and adapt. I was forced to find a new place to live and to work out a system to keep in touch with my children.

I moved into my new home the first weekend of November. I had help from Dad, Mom, Matt and Jess. My mother acted as floor director and kitchen organizer, with help from Jess. I had purchased some furniture from a thrift shop to tide me over until I could afford better. My parents pitched in with some kitchen utensils, bedding and curtains. My new items included a flat screen TV as well as beds for Matt and Jess. I found an old brass queen size bed frame and bought a box spring and mattress to complete the set. The place was a mish-mash of styles and age, but I had no alternative but to be careful with my expenditures. I still had my legal bills to deal with.

Matt was a big help with the move, proving he could handle some of the heavy lifting. He claimed it was his work in the weight room at school that had built up his muscles. I think it was more a way of showing off, but I said nothing to discourage him. When the move was complete, I took everyone to dinner at a family restaurant. We were only a few blocks from my old home, so I dropped the children off that evening and went back to my new home. There was still some unpacking of clothes and miscellaneous items to deal with and my Sunday would be occupied with finding places to put things.

I pretty much had everything where I wanted it by the end of November when Thanksgiving came along. We had agreed that Reese would have the children for Thanksgiving, then share them at Christmas. My new townhouse came with all new appliances and I tried to talk my parents into allowing me to prepare the Thanksgiving dinner. My mother only gave in when I agreed to let her do some of the meal preparation. As it was, she came with almost everything done ahead of time and only the oven, refrigerator, and microwave were used.

I missed having Jess and Matt with us, but I would have them for Christmas Eve. Mom would repeat her cooking and baking for the occasion. Instead of turkey however, it would be a roast of beef, all of us agreeing with that choice.

The first two weeks that I had the children was awkward for a while as we developed a new routine for getting them up and ready for school. Jess was now only two blocks from her friend Mindy's home and Mindy was stopping at the townhouse to meet Jess and walk with her. Matt was going in the opposite direction to the high school and it was a longer walk. He might have taken his bike, but I gathered that it wasn't cool for a member of the football team to ride a bike.

In fact, I was getting stronger hints that it was time for him to get a driver's license. I checked with the school and found there was a driver's education class in February, and I allowed Matt to enroll. He would need a learner's license and my signature, but that was easily done. I also knew he was angling for a summer job on the works crew, but there were very few spaces for summer students and college kids got first priority. I would talk to Frank about what other options there might be. There had to be some advantage to my being a city employee.

It was the week before Christmas that I got a chance to talk to Frank. In fact, it was he who asked me to meet with him.

"It's coming up year end, Graham, and it's time for your annual review. As you know, there's been a wage freeze now for a couple of years, thanks to the city being stretched to the limit on tax income. However, I feel you're entitled to something more than that. We've created a new position for you. Beginning January, your title will be Director of Operations, Works Department. As a result, you will see a ten percent increase in your salary. In addition, you will have the use of a city car.

"This is in recognition of your very good work and my ability to contemplate retirement without worrying about my replacement. I'm being kicked upstairs to a staff position in the planning department. In effect, you'll inherit my job a little earlier than planned. Congratulations," he smiled, standing and offering me his hand.

We shook hands heartily and I thanked him for his leadership and mentoring of me along the way. This was an unexpected but welcome surprise.

"However, there is a catch," Frank grinned.

"Oh ... what kind of catch?"

"As you know, the management staff of the city are expected to be visible to the citizenry. The Works Department comes in for a lot of flak when roads flood, potholes appear, and anything more than an inch of snow falls," he chuckled. "As a consequence, you're expected to attend certain civic functions. Your first assignment will be the Chamber of Commerce New Year's Eve party at the Riverbend Hotel. I realize you won't have a partner for the evening, but I've assigned you a seat at a table with a single, so you won't be entirely on your own. Here's the ticket," he said with another grin, passing it to me. "Don't worry, Janet and I will be there and we'll introduce you to the right people."

"Uh, thanks. You're going to have to clue me in on which events I'm expected to attend."

"I'll do that, but for now, the office Christmas Party is this weekend and I know you'll be there for that. I'm making the announcement of your new job then, so be prepared to say a few words."

"Oh, wow. You don't give a guy much time to think about this, do you?"

"I just got the approval for the new position yesterday. Keep it to yourself until the party, please. A couple of years from now, when I retire, they'll change the designation again and you'll need a new business card," he smiled. "Just keep doing what you're doing, Graham. I'm proud that you're taking over for me. I couldn't be happier that you've earned it and everyone knows that."

"Thank you, Frank. You've been a great boss and I hope I can still call on you if I'm in doubt about anything."

"You know it," he replied.

I left his office and returned to mine, blinking a little in surprise. This was the last thing I expected. I had forgotten all about asking about a job for Matt next summer. That could wait. It was neither the time nor the place for it.

A quick mental calculation told me that the raise in January would go a long way toward helping me pay my legal bill. I was well paid to begin with, but the extra would give me some breathing room I didn't expect to have. On top of that, I could sell my car and realize a few hundred dollars from that. Yes, things were going to be a little easier than I anticipated.

True to his word, Frank announced my new position at the staff Christmas party. I was surprised at the number of people who approached me and congratulated me. There didn't seem to be any jealousy or remarks that anyone thought I was undeserving. It made for a very pleasant evening. I just wished I'd had someone to share it with.

Christmas was a nice family affair with my parents and the children. I keep calling them children, but Jess was now thirteen and Matt sixteen. They weren't children anymore, they were growing up faster than I could keep up. Reese had been right about Jessica. She was gradually losing the baby fat that I worried so much about. I thought she was going to be a very good looking young woman by the time she was in her mid-teens.

The New Year's Eve party was quite an affair. It was sponsored by the Chamber of Commerce and there must have been at least two hundred people in attendance. The Chamber arranged for minibus service for anyone who was concerned about drinking and driving. I know a number of people had booked rooms in a couple of the local hotels to avoid having to drive. It was an occasion where I would wear my little used suit, dress shirt, and tie. The last time I'd had it out of the garment bag was for my court appearance in September.

I arrived just before eight o'clock, wondering if I might be too early. The party seemed to be going full blast already. My ticket had a table number on it and I looked around for its location. I finally found it on the far side, near the dance floor and away from the stage. The gentleman who took my ticket mentioned something about a lucky drawing.

"Ten dollars for the lucky New Year's drawing. You keep half your ticket and the other half goes in this ballot box. We'll make the drawing just after midnight. If you aren't here, you can't win, so stick around for the fun."

I passed him a ten dollar bill and he passed me my stub. I made for my assigned table and saw some people already sitting there. I approached and looked to see if I recognized anyone. I did not.

"Good evening," I said to anyone paying attention to my arrival. "I'm Graham Rideout from the City of Yakima office."

"Hi, Graham," a young fellow said with a smile. "Welcome and Happy New Year. I'm Jerry Brimacombe, and this is my wife, Mandy."

"Nice to meet you."

"Oy'm Ali Bledsoe," a young, attractive woman said, standing and extending her hand. She had a distinct accent, but I wasn't sure of the origin.

"Nice to meet you, Ali." I pointed to the chair beside her and asked, "Is this seat taken?"

"Naw, I've been savin' it just for you, Grime," she grinned.

"Thank you," I said, still trying to place the accent as I took my seat. "Pardon me for asking, but your accent is quite unusual. Where are you from?"

"Well, that depends," she said with a bright smile and a twinkle in her lovely blue eyes. "Right now I'm from Yakima. Before that, Brisbane, Australia, and before that, Yakima again, but I was born in Doncaster, England."

"Wow. Where next?" I chuckled.

"Nowhere, I hope. Oy'm happy right 'ere."

I had a feeling she was having a bit of fun with me and her accent. It seemed to be coming and going at a whim.

"So, if you had to pin down your accent, what would you call it?"

She looked thoughtful, again scrunching up a "stage face" in fun. "Briscaster," she laughed.

Her laugh was genuine and playful. I liked her immediately. She looked to be about thirty, I guessed, very attractive, lovely red hair that was combed in waves reaching well down her back. A smile seemed to come easily to her and it complemented her features. From what I could see, she was a very attractive woman.

I was introduced to the other four people at the table before I settled in my chair. I was sitting on Ali's left and her hand was on the table on occasion. I noticed ... or rather didn't notice ... any rings. It had been a very long time since I wondered about that sort of thing. I also wondered where to get a drink. Ali must have anticipated my question.

"The bar is over there," she pointed toward the rear of the room. "If you're going, would you please bring me a glass of white wine?"

"Sure. Anyone else need anything while I'm up?" I asked.

No one responded so I excused myself and headed for the bar. I was in luck since there wasn't a long line to get served. I ordered Ali's white wine and I had a glass of red wine, something different for me. I returned to the table and placed Ali's wine in front of her.

"Thank you, Grime," she smiled. I wondered if she knew just how engaging her smile was.

"You're welcome. Here's to the New Year," I said, raising my glass, toasting Ali and the other six people at the table.

The center of the room was open for dancing and several couples were out there, moving to the music of the six piece band on the stage. It was a nice, leisurely paced number and I decided to take a chance.

"Ali, would you care to dance?" I asked, carefully watching for her reaction. I got a very nice smile and a "Yes, thank you," in reply.

I helped her with her chair and led her out onto the dance floor. I'm no Fred Astaire, but I can manage without wounding my partner. Ali flowed into my arms and I felt like we'd done this many times before. I was half-a-head taller than her, but still, we fit nicely together.

"You're a good dancer," she said, this time with much less accent.

"Thank you. You're a very good partner. Are you any relation to the famous football player from these parts?"

"No ... I don't think so. My father was from Yakima. He met my mother when he was in the air force and stationed in England. He was a liaison officer with the RAF and worked on radar thing-a-me-bobs or something. We lived in Doncaster until he finished his service and returned to the U.S. with my mother and me. I was twelve at the time."

"Ah, so that accounts for the English part of your accent. When did you go to Australia?"

"After I finished school here. I wanted to travel and see the world, so three of my mates and I took off from Seattle and flew to Sydney. We got as far as Brisbane before I dropped out of the group."

"What happened?"

"I met a fellow. A part-time student at Queensland University. We got together and one thing led to another and we moved in together. I got a job in a pub and took some classes at the uni. When Pete graduated, he got a job in Brisbane selling surfboards and equipment as well as giving lessons."

"How long were you with him," I asked, hoping I wasn't being too personal.

"Ten years. I shake my head when I say that. I can't believe we lasted that long."

"Did you marry him?"

"Sort of," she shrugged. "Common law, you know. We had a son together. He's just gone six. As far as the law went, we were married."

"Stop me if I'm getting too personal," I said, worried I might be upsetting her.

"Naw, it's old news now. I chucked it five years ago and came home. Sadder but wiser, as they say."

"That's a shame. Ten years is a good chunk of your life."

"I'll say! All that time to find out he was putting it about, as my English friends would say."

"I don't understand ... oh ... or maybe I do. He was cheating on you?"

"Yeah. He couldn't resist. Too many nice young things parading around, showing their wares."

"Fool!" I said. "I can't imagine him doing better than you."

She looked up at me and gave me that thousand watt smile I was hoping for. "That's very nice of you to say, Grime ... even if it is malarkey."

"If you are questioning my sincerity, then I'm hurt," I kidded, putting my hand over my heart. "I meant every word."

"I see you're willing to give as good as you get," she said, again with a wicked laugh.

"And I hear your accent come and go as needed," I needled.

"Guilty," she said, then flashed that smile once more.

We danced through at least four numbers before I thought she might want to rest and I led her back to the table.

coaster2
coaster2
2,595 Followers