You Again

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Speaking to my papers I replied "Nothing." I looked up over the top of my glasses at him.

"Is there anything we can help you with, Mr. Gregory?" I asked politely.

Charlie smiled.

"Please call me-"

"Charlie!"

Judith's bright voice rang through the lobby and her heels made soft thuds on the plush carpet as she strode through the door and directly over to us. Charlie swept her hand up into a warm handshake with a big smile.

"I didn't expect you to be over till nine," she said warmly.

I glanced up at the wall clock. Seven-fifteen a.m. it said. I looked over at Shannon who shrugged as she shuffled papers around on her desk.

Charlie shrugged as well. "I thought I'd come by and see how things get going in the mornings around here," he said to no one in particular.

Judith's face lit up. "Wonderful! I was just coming to get Savannah here for our follow-up to yesterday's meeting but now I'm thinking a breakfast meeting with our brand new COO might be even better."

I turned my head just enough to allow my hair to fall over my shoulder and block my face as I looked sullenly at Shannon and rolled my eyes. She hid a smile behind a manila folder. Stuck at some swanky bagel joint with Judith and Charlie for two hours did actually sound more preferable to mind-numbing paperwork, but it was the "and Charlie" part that had my feathers ruffled. I thought about sneaking around to the back of her desk and making a break for it, but just as I was lifting my foot to make a mad dash for my office Judith called to me.

"Savannah, dear, you're too thin. Join us for breakfast."

Planting my heel into the carpet, I turned slowly around to face them, biting my lip and plastering on my best corporate smile.

"I'd be delighted," I said as politely as I could manage.

Judith clapped once with a dazzling smile. "Excellent."

She turned to Charlie when suddenly the phone rang. Shannon answered the phone then transferred the call to Judith's office and told her who was calling. Judith pursed her lips together and raised an eyebrow in annoyance.

"Duty calls," she announced. "I'll be right back. This won't take but ten minutes." With that, she swept off down the hall to her office.

My eyes caught Charlie's as I crossed behind Shannon's desk and reached for a stack of file folders but she stopped me by laying her hand on top.

"VP needs these sent out right now," she told me. "I'm off to the mailroom." She gathered the pile and her coffee and passed by me on her way out of the lobby. "Bring me something sweet and soft," she whispered.

Rather than be stuck there with Charlie and nothing to say, I left him standing in the hallway and escaped to my office. Shutting the door quietly behind me, I kicked off my shoes, dragged my feet over to my desk and sank down into my nice comfy chair. The room still smelled like yesterday's coffee, dammit. I didn't hear the door open when Charlie came in but the sound of it suddenly clicking shut startled me. He slowly crossed the office to my desk and stood behind me, leaning back against the wall.

"Morning Van," he said with a grin.

I just rolled my eyes, stood and walked away to my supply closet. I could hear him coming up behind me but I refused to give him the satisfaction of turning around and watching him approach. Flinging open the closet door, I pretended to be determinedly searching for something when he suddenly lay a hand on my waist. I jumped, mainly because I was startled at the sudden touch, but also because of the almost electric shock I felt from feeling his hand touching me. It had been fifteen years since we broke up, and ten since we'd seen each other, but still that one little touch made me melt.

"Charlie, don't-'' I began, fighting not to lean backwards and curl up in his arms.

His breath was hot on my neck when he spoke, his voice soft and strained. "I've missed you, Van," he whispered. "I can't help it."

I forced myself to pull away from him so that I could close the closet door. I faced the closed door, stared resolutely at my bare feet, and waited. Taking the hint, Charlie finally lifted his hand and I whirled around to face him.

"You can't do this to me," I told him. "You can't make things hard on me all over again. It's not fair! I worked so hard to get here and now, all of a sudden you just show up out of the fucking blue to ruin everything!" The words came out in a rush of tangled emotions.

"I don't want to ruin anything," he said quietly, reaching for me.

I tried to pull away but he had me cornered.

"You always say that but somehow, some way things always end up-''

Charlie suddenly closed the space between us with one step, took my face in both hands and kissed me. My breath caught in my throat, my heart slammed to a stop and the box of highlighters I had in my hand tumbled to the floor with a clatter. Everything went blank for that moment. I completely forgot about where we were or what the possible repercussions could be. All that existed was us, our lips pressed together, his hands cradling my face, my hands sliding up his chiseled torso. Suddenly a sharp sound, someone stepping on a highlighter, broke whatever magic spell had fallen and I had just enough sense left to place my hands on his chest and shove him away.

The kiss broke when he staggered backwards a couple steps. My palms pressed into his lapels kept him at arm's length as we stared at each other with seemingly matching expressions of shock, and longing.

"No," I said firmly. "This can not be happening."

Charlie stepped back even further and straightened his jacket.

"I agree," he said with a nod. "My apologies." He cleared his throat and turned to leave. I wanted to reach for him, to grab his arm as he walked away, but I hesitated long enough for him to reach the door. He paused with his hand on the doorknob, I guess waiting for me to say something, but I just gave him my best poker face and shook my head. With a short nod, Charlie turned back to the door and left.

I realized I'd been holding my breath and let it out with a sigh and a gasp. I could feel that my eyes were wide and my heart pounded in my throat. Slouching back against the closet door, I ran my hands through my hair and tried to calm myself down.

The throaty engine of the old mustang sounded louder than usual within the confines of the concrete parking deck. Charlie put the car in park and left it running. He sat in the driver's seat, waiting on me. I could tell from the look in his eyes that he wanted me to say something, but what I had in mind wasn't something that needed to be said. All I could think about was that beautiful, bubbly redhead who wore his gigantic Harry Winston diamond. Bree was so sweet and blithely innocent, like fluffy cotton candy. Even though I didn't know her all that well, I kept repeating over and over in my head that I would not get involved with Charlie for her sake. Spirit of sisterhood and all that.

I glanced sideways at him and had to force myself to look away. He smelled so good and looked even more amazing. He'd shed his sport coat and tie earlier in the day and his burgundy button-down was wrinkled, the sleeves rolled up past his elbows. The sharp crease in his soft gray slacks still held on strong despite the obvious bends and folds from sitting all day. He shifted in the seat, lay his head back against the headrest and closed his eyes. He looked tired, and delicious. A tense, awkward silence blanketed the car. I couldn't take it any longer.

"Well, thanks for the rescue and the ride," I said quickly, reaching to the floorboard for my purse. Charlie shifted in his seat again, this time turning to face me.

"I guess this is goodnight, huh?" he said softly.

I shrugged. "We both have to work in the morning," I offered.

"Yeah," he sighed. "I was just hoping we'd have more time to...you know, spend time together."

"Charlie, you know we wouldn't even be here if my car hadn't broken down."

"I know." His voice was soft, and almost sad. "But I'm glad it did."

I laughed. "I'm glad that you were nearby to come and save me." I tossed my still damp hair. "I don't think I could've made it all the way home."

Charlie scoffed. "I am not at all surprised that you even attempted to walk home seventy-three blocks in Brooklyn at eleven o'clock at night in the pouring rain."

I rolled my eyes and shook my head. "Me neither."

He smiled at me as he brushed a sodden lock of hair over my shoulder. "That's something that's always drawn me to you."

I pursed my lips and raised an eyebrow. "What? My innate stupidity?"

It was Charlie's turn to laugh. "No. Your independent spirit."

"Some might call it 'stubbornness.'"

He leaned across the center console and looked into my eyes as he brushed the backs of his fingers down the side of my arm. "I call it 'confidence,' and I find it sexy."

I closed my eyes and breathed in deep the rich smells around me: Charlie's cologne mixed with the scent of the leather upholstery, the summer rain, the gel in his hair, my perfume. It was almost overwhelming. When I opened my eyes, Charlie's face was mere inches away from mine. His hands slid slowly up my arms as he leaned in to kiss me. I forced myself to pull away.

"Goodnight Charlie," I said, gently but firmly.

He froze for a heartbeat then suddenly pulled me into a kiss. I pushed him back, startled.

"What the hell are you doing?!" I demanded.

"You said that the one thing that would've completely changed things is if I hadn't been such a punk and taken some initiative." He looked at me with determination deep in his dark eyes. "This is me taking some initiative."

I stared at him for a moment, searching his gaze and trying to make up my mind. Finally I just went for it. Sliding a hand around behind his head, I pulled him into a deep, fierce kiss. The leather of the seats creaked softly as we moved almost frantically. His hands jumped from my arms to my waist as he pulled me over onto his lap, my legs straddling him. The charcoal pencil skirt I was wearing got shoved up around my hips.

We kissed hungrily, our tongues sliding across each other, teeth grazing lips and drawing sharp gasps. I moaned into his mouth as my fingers fumbled to unbutton his shirt. I wanted to yank the shirt up over his head but I took my time, savoring the moment. Charlie broke the kiss with a deep moan and began to kiss along my jaw then down my neck. I could feel him growing harder beneath me and I rocked my hips back and forth, grinding against him. He kissed across my collarbone and down to the tops of my breasts, unbuttoning my blouse with one hand as he went. The other hand slipped around behind my back and teased up my ribs to my shoulder. Suddenly Charlie dug his nails into my skin and raked them hard down my spine. I let out a loud gasp of pain and pleasure and leaned back into his hand. The unexpected blare of the car's horn made us both jump.

Locking eyes with him, I crawled off his lap and into the backseat. Charlie was right behind me, fighting with his shirt buttons as he went. I stopped him by laying a hand over his.

"I want to do it," I told him.

He grinned as he grabbed my thighs and yanked me down onto my back. We struggled for a moment to find the least awkward position in the tiny backseat and finally gave up. He sat in the seat as I straddled his lap again but this time he hooked a finger around the crotch of the lacey panties I had on and dragged them off in one swift motion. I undid the last buttons of his shirt and pushed it open, kissing down his muscular chest. I raised myself up onto my knees and hovered over him, tangling my fingers in his thick hair and kissing him like I'd wanted to since seeing him in that conference room.

I heard a sharp metallic sound as he unhooked his belt and shoved his slacks and boxers down over his knees to the floorboard. He teased just the tip of him along the inside of my thigh as we kissed.

"Can't forget this," he whispered, reaching behind me to pull a condom from the center console.

"Charlie, you're such a boyscout," I teased as he ripped the wrapper with his teeth and slid a hand between us to put it on.

"Yeah, but you like it," he murmured against my neck.

Suddenly he gripped my hips tightly with both hands and thrust upwards. I couldn't tell who's gasp was louder, mine or his.

12