You Can Always Say No Ch. 07

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

After seeing how my character had been assassinated on the public record, the other five survivors declined to testify. Still, the physical evidence was unequivocal and the nature of Jason's offenses were so egregious, the jury could not possibly have acquitted him on all counts, then gotten a good night's sleep. In the end, he was convicted on a single count of Murder Two – that of the college co-ed – and drew twenty-five to life. With model behavior, he could be out in time to celebrate his fiftieth birthday. No mention was made of the injustice done to Terri Tunney – again. It was chilling the way a wrongful death could be so callously dismissed, just because the person hadn't lived up to some pre-conceived notion of what she should have been.

I resigned before being fired. YouTube pales in comparison to the nightly news - on every broadcast network, plus cable, every night for a month. At one point, I was even Nancy Grace's cause du jour. Being a media person myself, I could appreciate the can't-miss ratings appeal a story like this represented. At the same time, media people are supposed to report – or in my case, spin – the story, not become it. I wouldn't be hurting for money immediately. Still, I knew my prospects for future employment – anywhere – were limited at best. Eventually, I would see the house, the car, and the other accoutrements of my high-flying lifestyle slip away, one by one. I discussed that, among my other shortcomings, in my weekly sessions with Shelby Fairchild.

As Trisha Drake had predicted, Miller Avionics did not survive. Its new owners reorganized and reincorporated it as DC Systems. There was the inevitable shakeout at the executive level, as individuals opted to seek their fortunes elsewhere, rather than trust their careers to the whims of the new management team. They were largely replaced by capable, experienced candidates found within the existing office culture. DC Systems started life on a high note; a multi-million-dollar contract awarded by the Department of Defense to manufacture a high-end radar-intercept package for the next generation of fighter aircraft. The future of the fledgling firm was bright indeed, as reported in a widely-covered news conference by its immensely-popular and media-friendly new CEO, recently-retired General Jerome Clayton.

Two months later, long after the media circus had struck its collective tent and moved on, I was a bit early for my weekly session with Shelby. I was delighted to see Angie exit the inner office. She looked radiant; the fitted, Navy blue two-piece suit and crisp, open-necked white blouse lent the right business image to her prodigious curves. Her makeup, hair and nails were flawless, but Angie was Angie; they were toned down for daytime, yet anything but demure.

Upon seeing me, she hesitated but a moment. Then, her smile lit up the outer office, warming me as I had not felt in months. She strode confidently across the room, swept me up in her arms and hugged me like there was no tomorrow – or recent yesterdays. The difference in our personal styles was apparent in the number of inches she stood over me, her heels being that much taller than my own.

"Donna," she gushed, "it is good to see you again. I'm finally ready for it now."

"I didn't know you were still seeing Shelby," I pointed out. "I thought that ended…"

Angie shook her head.

"Far from it," she asserted. "I'm continuing with my transition. I've been on hormones since leaving home. I'll be having my first round of surgery next month."

She shifted her body back and forth.

"I can't wait to get rid of these prosthetics at last; same proportions, just more me."

"Then Alan is…." I began hesitantly.

She closed her eyes, pursed her lips and gave a little shake of her head.

"What you did in court – not just for yourself, but for Terri, Faye, and the rest – was the bravest, most selfless thing I have ever seen. I was there for you because I wanted the whole world to know how much I loved and respected you. At the same time, sitting there, knowing what the whole world perceived they knew about what you and Jason were doing behind my back, what you were doing to me….

"It's my own fault, really; all of it. I e-mailed Jason that video clip to get him to stay away from you. I should have realized the arrogant ass would just view it as another testimonial to his sexual prowess. In the end, I had given him all the ammunition he needed to destroy both of us in open court. I can't go back to that; I'm just not that strong. I would rather move ahead – as Angie. You're all right with that, aren't you?"

"You must be joking," I replied. "I adore you this way. Why would it even matter to you anymore what I thought?"

Angie smirked, sucking in her cheeks.

"As someone pointed out to me once, we are married, you and I," she teased. "Of course it matters."

"But," I protested weakly, "after everything I did…"

"Old news," she interjected. "Shelby helped me understand I couldn't get on with my life until I had forgiven you - particularly for that nasty S/M session. I have put it all behind me…"

She rolled her eyes upward and jiggled her bewitching backside with both hands.

"… no pun intended," she continued. "You need to do the same."

"That's why I'm here," I admitted, pointing to Shelby's office door. "I'm trying to put that part of me behind me."

She smirked again, beholding me with sparkling eyes.

"Um, don't be so hasty," she cooed in her little-girl voice, tracing one fingernail teasingly down my chest. "I mean, I didn't appreciate the… wretched excess, but the rest of it was hot – especially you. I never expected to say this, but… I think I envy Deidre a little. Do you think, perhaps, we might be able to explore it from time to time – without the anger?"

My eyes brimmed with tears.

"I'm certain of it," I choked out, "if that is what you want."

"I guess what I am trying to say is," she continued earnestly, "it's all about choices. I could have destroyed you for what you did to me, or not. Instead, you chose to fall on your own sword to put Jason Miller away. I respect you for that more than words could say. I could return to you, in spite of everything, or not. Jerome, Trisha, and Faye have shown me; I have options, a future, whatever I choose to do. I choose to believe what we had… have is real, that you love me as much as I love you. I won't pretend to understand why you did things the way you did. The fact you are here, meeting with Shelby, tells me a lot. If we can get a handle on our respective issues, I would rather be with you than without you."

My stunning and much-missed life partner kissed me warmly. After so long, I had forgotten what it was like to feel whole. Our lips parted and she glanced at her watch.

"Look, I know you have to get inside, so I won't keep you," she prompted. "Actually, I was thinking it was time we started seeing Shelby together, as a couple again. Are you all right with that, too?"

I had to restrain myself from jumping up and down for joy.

"Yes," I gushed.

She squeezed my hands with hers.

"I'm meeting Mom for lunch at Dante's," she informed me. "Will you join us when you are done here? I'll even order for you. I know what you like."

"Wild horses, Sweetie," I admonished, hugging her for all I was worth.

***

Seeing mother and daughter together like that, as I approached the table, had always made my heart soar. They were so much alike in appearance and mannerisms. Both arose from their chairs, hugged me and bussed my cheeks in turn, before we took our seats. My timing was impeccable; the waiter appeared as if by magic, serving Eggplant Parmesan for three. The sparkling diamond on Faye's ring finger caught my attention as she lifted her wine glass. She followed my gaze and smiled as brilliantly as the diamond.

"I won't even attempt to understand how these things work out," she attested. "All I can say is thank you, both of you, for making me so damn happy. Trisha is everything I have ever hoped for – and then some."

That was worth a toast, and the glasses clinked. I gave Angie the once-over, including a glance under the table.

"I couldn't help noticing how fetching you appear today," I asserted playfully, "but that suit looks way too tight, you seem to be showing a bit too much cleavage, even for 'business casual', and those heels…. How do you avoid them sending you home for violating the company dress code?"

"Excuse me," Angie piped up, with an air of wounded dignity. "As Executive Vice President and Chief Operating Officer of DC Systems, the dress code is whatever I damn well say it is. Believe me; the CEO is fine with it, and the only other opinions that matter to me seem to agree."

She cocked one eyebrow speculatively, gazing first at me, then Faye. We both nodded enthusiastically.

"I couldn't help admiring the new name of the company," I smirked.

"You like it?" Angie teased. "Faye and I adore it. I had been working with the venture capital people for months, in preparation for ramping up our production and distribution capacity. When the company became available – and Jerome agreed to come on board as CEO – we were a shoo-in. After that, it was just a matter of setting up the appropriate… acquisition instrument."

"You mean, an offshore shell corporation to deflect any suspicion of insider hanky-panky," I accused mockingly. "What about the FBI?"

"Oh, they love a war hero," Angie intoned bemusedly. "Did you know Jerome flew jets in the first Gulf War? Besides, he had his brother Lawrence smooth things over with the Bureau's director."

"Lawrence… Clayton," I mulled. "The Attorney General?"

"The very same," Angie chirped. "They come from a family that strongly believes in service to their country. The two brothers have always worked well together. Their friends called it the 'Jerry and Larry Show'. Who knows? Once he leaves office, we might be able to convince him to come on board as Corporation Council. We could use his expertise handling bureaucratic red tape."

"Wouldn't that be considered a conflict of interest, considering his role in your company's reformation?"

"Possibly," she surmised, "but no more so than Jerome becoming our CEO at the same time as our being awarded that fat contract. That was something I wanted to discuss with you."

"What do you mean?" I asked, genuinely puzzled.

"Wellllll," she drew out expansively, "we're in the Big Leagues now, with Big-League image issues to contend with – like that one. I've talked it over with Jerome and he agrees; we need a Communications Director, someone with experience and savvy, to handle our media relations. With this new contract, and more certainly to follow, our budget can afford the very best. If things worked out, this director might even be given a seat on our board, thus having a say in how the company was run. We were wondering if you knew someone who might be interested?"

"I could think of a name or two," I responded glibly, my heart pounding. "In fact, I believe there might be a campaign already available, tailor-made for your needs. It would only require a tweak or two, like a name change."

Angie beamed.

"I was hoping you would say that," she cooed. "It's fun to be a boss and make decisions that benefit lots of people. It's also fun to be able to acquire nice stuff…."

She reached into her purse and withdrew a small, square box, placing it on the table between us. I opened it and beheld a dazzling blue-white diamond solitaire, set in a platinum band. Glancing down at my own hand, I noted it was virtually a clone of the ring Alan had slipped on my finger years ago. I looked up, puzzled. Angie gazed at the ceiling, whistling; so did Faye. Beneath the table, I heard a toe tapping impatiently. I got the message. Removing the ring from the box, I took Angie's left hand and slipped the exquisite gem on her ring finger.

"Angie, my love," I asked earnestly, "would you marry me… again?"

"You betcha," she gushed. "I was thinking sometime after my first surgery – but not too much after. I don't want to have to mess with the whole 'civil union' thing. Mom is looking forward to being the Mother of the Bride. Trisha will be my Maid of Honor – or Matron, depending on the timing. We sorta have this 'tit for tat' agreement…."

"Who is going to give the bride away?" I inquired mirthfully.

"Jerome, of course," she responded carefully, tracing the back of my hand with one long, curving talon. "In fact, I was hoping to bring him over this weekend so you could… get to know him better. It's kind of a package deal. I mean, he's going to play a big part in our lives – a very, very big part."

"Oh my," I gasped, rubbing my thighs together.

"Of course, you could always say no," she added smugly.

I just stared at her as though she had lost her mind.

"Fat chance," I replied.

***