You Can't Always Get What You Want Ch. 01

Story Info
She discovers she's engaged to a man she's over.
1.9k words
4.06
17.9k
1
2

Part 1 of the 4 part series

Updated 09/22/2022
Created 05/21/2009
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

*Chapter One*

February 12, 2005

"What?! No way. I refuse!" 18-year-old Essence was hysterical.

"Honey, this was all arranged a long time ago, before you even knew who he was," her mother, Karen, said calmly from her seat at the dining room table of their rather poor house, "It will bring money for your father and I, which is definitely a bonus. We just thought we'd save you the trouble of finding a husband. Plus you'll live in luxury for the rest of your life. What a lucky girl you are Essence."

Essence looked at her mother in shock, "I don't care about money and certainly wouldn't marry anyone for that alone! If I cared so damn much about it, I don't know how I could have possibly grown up in what limited finds you have!"

"Now Essence, you know not to swear and I would think you'd be grateful," her father, Ben, reprimanded her.

"Grateful?! For your trying to control my life and who I'll marry? Grateful for thinking I'd still want to marry the guy who broke my heart after so many years by marrying a slut? Grateful for it taking a year and a half for me to get over him just so you could try to make me love him less than a year later? Yeah, I am so incredibly grateful!" she screamed, her voice oozing with sarcasm as she let her usually leashed temper go.

"Essence you will calm yourself this instant. Do you hear me?" her father yelled.

"Whatever you thought was love and a broken heart, wasn't. You couldn't possibly know. You haven't even ever met him," her mother said into the silence.

Essence gaped in disbelief at her, "I know how I felt. I know what I went through. And I don't give a damn if you or anyone for that matter, believe me or not. And I will not marry him. You can't make me so just get over that stupid idea!" she stormed off to her room before either of her parents could argue.

Karen sighed, rubbing her forehead where a migraine was starting, "This will be harder than I thought."

"Regardless, she will walk down that aisle next year after his divorce is finalized," Ben replied, leaning back in his chair.

~ * ~

Upstairs, Essence had finally let the tears fall, as she dialed her boyfriend of three months, Justin's phone number.

He answered on the third ring, "Hello?"

"Justin, this is Essence," she sobbed as she flung herself onto her bed.

"Hey baby, I was just thinking about you," then he recognized the tears in her voice, "What's got you upset sweetheart?"

"You know I love you right?" she said, almost desparately, "I'd never leave you no matter what."

"Of course honey, I know. I love you too," his concern grew at her words, "Tell me what's wrong."

Between tears she spilled out what happened and the problems that had arisen.

"But I don't want to be with him. I love you. So much," she had soaked her pillow by now with the tears streaming rapidly out of her dark brown eyes and off her cheeks.

He knew all about how she used to love Taylor and how eventually she had gotten over him. He also knew she loved him now and would never have the same feelings for the Hanson dude again, "It's okay baby. I believe you. We'll get through this. Everything will work out," he also loved her, way too much to ever giver her up. And he sure as hell wouldn't let this guy have her, especially after how bad his actions had hurt her in the past.

"How about I come pick you up and we'll go out to our place? We can be together and work this through, okay?"

Her hopes lifted a little at his words, "Okay. I'll see you in a bit."

"I'll be there soon, be waiting."

"I will. I love you."

"I love you too. Bye baby."

"Bye."

She hung up the phone and hurriedly touched up her eye makeup, which had gotten smeared, and put on a little lip gloss. She checked to make sure her hair was okay, then grabbed her purse and jacket and ran downstairs, careful to avoid the front of the house and went out the back.

She threw her coat on as she walked around the side of the house, looking for her boyfriend's car.

He lived about a twenty minute drive from her, so he should be there soon.

As she waited, she thought back to how she had met him. A smile crept over her lips as she remembered.

It had been Halloween of last year. Her best friend, Christine, had been invited to a party and decided it would do Essence good to get out of the house. So that night, Christine's boyfriend of eight months, Evan, picked her and Essence up and drove them to the party.

Christine had just turned twenty-one not long before that, so she of course, was drinking. Not a lot, but some. Christine's boyfriend, who was twenty-three, wasn't drinking much either. But that was due to the fact that he had to drive them all home afterwards.

Essence couldn't drink because she was only eighteen. She didn't care, she didn't want to anyway. She thought it was stupid and didn't make any sense being intoxicated on a drink she found vile to begin with.

How she had met Justin was, she had been sitting alone in the kitchen of the house that the party was at. Christine and Evan were in the living room, she guessed, where the music was blaring a hip hop beat.

Essence was pondering to herself why she had even come. She was alone, not having any fun, feeling sorry for herself, listening to music that she didn't even really like.

While she was sitting there, a jumble of thoughts running through her head, this average height, punk rock type guy had ambled into the kitchen. When she noticed he was there, all she could do was stare. He was gorgeous. Short black hair spiked, beautiful emerald green eyes, a full lower lip and a curled upper lip. Essence had never been kissed, but she had had such an urge to press her lips to his right then and there. He was wearing black baggy jeans and a red shirt from some band's tour. And she noticed he wasn't some skinny jerk, appearance-wise anyway. He had meat on his bones.

When he spoke, his voice was deep and hynotizing, "What's a pretty girl like you doing sitting here all alone?" He grinned as he sat down across from her.

That sentence broke the sort of spell he had managed to have on her.

She gave him a cold look and just said, "Quit with the stupid lines. It won't work on me."

She knew she wasn't that pretty. She had long brown hair that curled throughout, that refused to ever cooperate with her, dull brown eyes hidden behind glasses, her nose was so pudgy and her mouth was too plump. Not to mention she wasn't a skinny, model type. She weighed 170, but didn't look it. Not too much anyway. She looked like about 150. She didn't like herself much, and being eighteen and never having a boyfriend or even a first kiss, takes a toll on your self esteem. Besides the fact that every guy that she had ever liked hadn't liked her. She had pretty much given up on ever finding someone. She expected to always be alone.

Immediately his expression turned guilty, "Sorry, I didn't mean to offend you. I just have been wanting to talk to you all night and well, stupid things tend to slip out of my mouth when it matters the most."

She looked at him skeptically, "Uh huh. Sure."

"No really. I seriously do think you're pretty. It just came out the wrong way."

"I don't have time for a stupid guy making a joke out of me," she started to get up to leave.

"Wait, please," he said, desparation tinging his voice, "I'm not playing a joke on you or anything. I honestly like you."

"Guys like you never like girls like me," she mumbled, with her eyes tracing a pattern on the floor.

He got up and walked around to her. He touched her arm as he tried to come up with the right words to say, "I don't know what you mean by that, but I can honestly say I like you and would love to get to know you," he said, sincerity clearly audible in his voice.

"You...you can't like me. It...it doesn't work like that," she replied sadly.

He sat down beside her, concern apparent in his eyes, which at the moment were a dark forest green, "What do you mean?"

"Every guy I've ever liked hasn't liked me. It's how it's always been. How it always will be."

That news gave him a shock. To him she was gorgeous. Long brown hair, with just the right amount of curl, that looked so soft that his fingers ached to run through it. Dark brown eyes that seemed to reflect her heart and soul, that were enhanced by small frame glasses. A cute nose and full plump lips that he wanted to kiss so bad. And her body, looked so soft and round, just waiting to have him run his hands all over it.

He shook himself out of his thoughts. He'd need to take things very slowly with her. That was just fine with him, he already liked her a lot from by just watching her through the evening and he didn't want to screw it up with her.

"I don't see why any guy would let you slip through his fingers. Any guy would be lucky to have you."

She shook her head emphatically, "No."

"Why?"

"Because I'm not a skinny cheerleader. I'm not popular and...guys just don't like me."

"The smart guys don't go for the skinny sluts who think they're better than everyone. Personally, I like a girl with more substance. Plus all skin and bones really sucks when you want to cuddle," he gave half a grin.

She felt her shield slowly melting. "Those types of guys are very rare then," she said, with a wry smile.

He grinned fully, showing perfect straight white teeth, much like her own, "Apparently so."

"So what do you say? Will you give me a shot?"

His expression was so sincere and she could sense thats he was telling the truth, so she nodded and said, "I guess so."

"Awesome. I guess I should introduce myself. I'm Justin," he said, sticking out his hand.

"I'm Essence," she replied, shaking his offered hand.

After that, they sat talking the rest of the night. He even offered to give her a ride home, which she accepted.

They started hanging out more and more, and by the middle of November he had asked her to be his girlfriend. They have been together ever since then.

She was happy and refused to give it up for some band member that she had had enough hurting because of.

She came out of her thoughts as she saw her love's car pull up. She climbed in the passenger seat and collapsed into his arms.

He held her for a couple minutes, enjoying the feel of her, then slowly disentangled himself. They drove off to their place, where no one could find them until they wanted to be found.