You're Worth Dying For Ch. 02

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

* * * *

Left alone briefly, Ryan thought that Maggie's non-critical attitude over his initiative in hiring Jill as agent to negotiate their acquisition of the penthouse had been a real eye-opener. Their romance had burst above them like a star-shell once it was triggered. He loved her, at least he adored her -- and was aware of the difference -- but nonetheless he'd felt an element of unease: was he good enough for her and was there a slight touch of incompatibility between them that would be impossible to bridge?

Everyone has self-doubts but those two misgivings gnawing at Ryan were of the dangerous kind that could ultimately undermine a marriage. He'd not discussed his misgivings as how could he? They were tantamount to a declaration: I don't completely trust you. In a way, marriage is like handing your spouse-to-be your life, for them to slash and burn and reform or, at the other extreme, if a fully mature love and sense of mutual profound respect existed, any adjustment was likely to be handled sensitively and positively.

Initially they hadn't been particularly aware of one another's emotional being and compatibility apart from the usual readings primates of the opposite sex automatically register when coming into contact. Oh, he's run the usual checks, admittedly with more interest than usual because she was so damn attractive and powered up beyond her years -- looking at the eyes, checking the expressions, breasts, butt and legs and trying to assess humor, emotional evenness and brainpower. It followed that through their growing business association the examination of such attributes produced findings of greater depth, but in the case of imminent marriage. Particularly in their case when that prospect seized them so unexpectedly, they denied themselves the benefits that arise through a much longer courtship where the final assessments and decisions to commit are processed not unlike the efficient action of a dishwasher where the end result is everything emerges as familiar shapes - sanitized. He grinned at that rambling thought ending like that; at least he understood it.

Actually, the suddenness of their short relationship climaxing was all her making; it was as if she was desperate for marriage and he was targeted simply because he was there. But now with Maggie's demonstrative congeniality in mutually settling their accommodation needs, devoid of any emotional flutter or the I-know-best superiority of the senior high-powered business executive might easily due to a positional mindset -- she was in control of herself. In concluding that Ryan felt a great deal of that uncertainty had lifted from him; the relief he felt was immense.

Ryan realized Maggie had little option but to express delight that acquiring the penthouse was a possibility as when they're inspected it she's said at least three times she'd like to live there. Clearly she could have made an issue about not being consulted before he'd acted; the fact they she hadn't had made a big impact on him. Of course they'd acknowledged at the time of agreeing to live in the smaller apartment. which was in a premier location with superior views, would not be long term but "Pow!" on their wedding day he'd announced out of the blue that long term actually meant very short term as he'd put that apartment on the market and had made an offer on a new home for them. Her reaction proved she was a pretty cool lady.

Ryan's remaining doubts concerned their ultimate compatibility: he was jealous of her because of her money and position of power as at work she was his boss. He knew it was unfair to be jealous; in reality she had to be admired. He believed he could live with this provided she treated him fairly in respect of her wealth and her power through being top dog. He'd identified those issues to be examined before proposing they live together or even marry.

Well, that wasn't true. They'd just climaxed together in bed after Sunday lunch, both in a sweat and panting. Then she said calmly, "God, we're good at doing this -- let's get married."

That's what triggered it; he'd said "I rather like the thought of that," without really thinking about it and assuming such an event would be at least months away as this had been the first seduction -- she embarrassed him by calling it their first fuck.

Grow up you fool and learn to live with it; just look at what you've got. He was looking at the back of Maggie, who was leaning into the car talking to Jill. Boy, did Maggie look a hot number! He felt a sense of pride when he looked around and saw Al standing midway to the doorway, arms folded above his beer belly, eyes fixed on Maggie's butt. Ryan's delight plunged when he read the expression on Al's face, the bastard.

At that moment a group of commercial printers arrived, and some of the men -- no doubt recognizing Maggie's butt -- dragged her away from Jill's car and carried her shoulder high into the bar and being told "Line them up darling" by one of the guys mauling her out of necessity to keep her from falling.

At hour of so later Ryan, having lost all sense of time as right now time was unimportant, grinned as Maggie forced her way through a group of young women who were asking Ryan about his sexual preferences. Maggie handed Ryan her phone and promptly began telling the young women that all men are babies so it's up to them to school their guys how to behave. They gathered round Maggie as if she was some sort of guru.

"Hi Jill, why aren't you here?"

"Because I'm working you dope. I have Sam beside me. He says a reduction of 30k is tops -- that or nothing."

"No deal, tell him to sign the offer at 50k off and bring him down here with you; better tell him to phone Stella to meet him here as this is going to be one hell of a night."

"I'm on speaker phone, Ryan; we can hear you and all the background noise. Sam is not looking a happy man."

"Okay, withdraw my offer but still bring him done and don't let him grope you."

"Ryan!"

"Sorry Jill, I forgot you were in professional mode, but it's still good advice."

"You filthy pervert," Sam laughed. "Sounds a good party is building up. Have you really withdrawn your offer?"

"Not if you sign in the next hour. See you soon guys. Bye."

Ryan pushed his way through towards Maggie. The phone in his hand went.

"Hello."

"He's signed."

"Great. You're brilliant. See you soon."

"Wait."

"What?"

"I have an offer and back-up offer on your apartment. The offer is above your asking price."

"Oh that's great; it's my lucky day, isn't it. Is Sam listening?"

"No, I'm phoning on the street. I couldn't discuss your apartment sale within his hearing."

"Right, well you can expect a bonus from me for your efforts."

There was a pause -- despite the noise around him Ryan could hear Jill's breathing. "You know what I want from you."

Maggie was only a couple of yards away, so Ryan turned his back and replied, "Jill, you know the answer -- you are a married woman: regrettably my answer remains the same, no, and remember I'm now married."

"Oh yes, I'd forgotten about that -- I've no desire to do the dirty on Maggie."

"Right -- that issue is now buried!"

"I suppose so."

"Jill!"

"Yes."

"Good, come on down and I'll hug and kiss you, but only in front of Maggie."

Ryan looked at his new wife; she was tipsy and radiant. He handed her phone back. "Jill has good news for you?"

"Yes, but you first."

"Maggie said I'll know in the morning -- the prospective buyers have agreed to pay the asking price subject to a building inspection that is booked for 9.00."

"That's great, wonderful. And there's more wonderful news: Jill is on her way here with an agreement for me to counter-sign -- it's above asking price because there was a rival purchaser but she didn't say how much and we now own the penthouse."

Maggie floated into her arms and began raining kisses on to Ryan's face. People around then laughed and then everyone began clapping and there was a call for a proper floor show; that call was taken up.

Everyone was so happy.

The convivial atmosphere was repeated nine days later at the wedding breakfast despite a fight involving three of tele-ad women over their male supervisor. It was his wife who broke up the fight, knocking two of the women to the ground; the third fled to safety on the other side of the room. The man's wife appeared pleased that he was so popular.

An awkward almost a silence followed but the band began beating out 'Rock Around the Clock' to get dancing underway and it became a pleasant post-wedding celebration again.

Ryan and Maggie left that night for five night's honeymoon at a luxury resort in Fiji, knowing they would come back to the grind of Ryan supervising activities at the new site as editorial would be shifting into its news offices the following Saturday while Maggie would be chairing an executive subcommittee preparing for the launching of the thrice weekly city newspaper into a six-day regional newspaper.

Editorial department personnel were being doubled in numbers. Maggie and Ryan also had the prospect of shifting out of their apartments at the end of the month into their penthouse which was already being furnished principally to Maggie's tastes but she was careful to consult, Ryan had noticed.

Everything seemed to be going along so well is almost seemed too good to be true.

TO BE CONTINUED...