You're Worth Dying For Ch. 03

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"What was that?"

Oh no, why did you have to ask that? "I don't think you'd be particularly interested; it concerns menstruation."

His eyes rolled up and his hand grabbed his wineglass. "I noticed in the company profile you and your bank each hold twenty-seven percent of the stock and between them Ryan and your mother hold fifteen percent, making a total of six-nine percent. In boardroom voting on major financial decisions, changes to the constitution and the like, what voting majority is required to carry the day."

"Seventy-five percent," Maggie replied, suddenly conscious of being mentally seduced.

"Who are those other shareholders?"

"Company executives; you'll find that information in the profile when you have time to read it properly. It was a management buyout and our bank came to the party to bridge the gap to complete the purchase. It gave us the option of advancing a loan or buying shares – we chose the later to avoid increasing debt. Are you a business spy?"

Angus attempted to look shocked but really didn't have to try; she was on to him but how the fuck had she managed that? "No, not at all," he lied. "When I was in the restroom I took a call from my CEO who wanted some important information. He then asked me how was the holiday going and I told him about my surprise at finding how you and Ryan were running a top-line operation with everything new except for the commercial printing division which already had been modernized."

Angus topped up their glasses. "Out of the blue he asked me what your presses were like. I told Ross the details and he said the board had decided yesterday to look for a partner in New Zealand to print local-content editions of our top-line magazines and had decided to look at a firm in Christchurch and one in Napier. He then suggested they also look at your set-up and asked me to find if your company was financially sound."

"Is that all, Angus?"

"Yes."

"Why didn't you tell me your reason for asking me for information?"

"Because until I knew whether you had press capacity and were financially sound it didn't seem any point of suggesting you were in line to get contract work until you company emerged as a good prospect."

"Well, I don't agree with that. I think it was sneaky."

"That's how business is done, Maggie; you play your aces last."

Maggie sighed, now thinking his nose looked long because he was a liar. "I suppose you're right." She signaled the waitress to bring the bill. "I'll pay, Maggie," Angus said, looking somewhat embarrassed. "I can put it on expenses as I suspect my boss will be phoning you any time soon."

"Okay, Angus. I'm sorry I snapped at you. As a businesswoman I ought not to allow my personal feelings to interfere with business opportunities."

Angus felt deflated, knowing she'd now semi-distrusted him. How was he to know she was a lot smarter than he thought she'd be? It was possible Ross would have a tough time ripping off Maggie and Ryan.

"A kiss would make me feel forgiven," Angus suggested; it was the wine talking.

Her familiar smile was back. "You rotten sod, your great Australian white shark. I'm not allowing you near me."

How does one answer that? "Oh come on, Maggie, I was only asking for a kiss, not to paw that great body of yours."

"Ah yes, may I ask you to mentally undress me a little less; it is rather embarrassing being declothed because you do it so intently."

"Oh gawd, I'm that obvious, am I."

"Very. But here, come and kiss but don't paw me; if you do I'll knee you."

Angus paid the bill and they walked to the parking lot to find Harriet waiting, reading a magazine. "I've been back here quite a while as Nancy was hosting a fund-raising lunch so could only spare me a few minutes. I decided to leave you two talking as you appear to be getting along so well."

"She called me a great white Australian shark."

"Good gracious, what have you being doing to my daughter to raise that kind of remark from her young man?"

"Nothing, just business talk really. You should have rejoined us; I find you rather interesting."

"Really," was all Harriet said, but it was her tone that caused Maggie, standing a little behind Angus to raise her eyebrows hugely. Harriet spotted that and blushed.

Maggie said, "You sit in the front, Angus. I think I'll stretch out in the back. You two have so much in common that I must encourage a closer union."

"What do we have in common expect being nice persons, Maggie?"

"If you try hard enough Angus you'll find out. Mother loves talking about sex."

"In another life my daughter was a female assassin," Harriet laughed, not at all put out. "You sit beside me and talk about anything that takes your fancy Angus."

Ten minutes later Ross Abbott phoned. The call ended with Maggie offering to pick them up at Auckland International Airport at 10:00 in the morning.

"No, Hamilton Airport please. We'll arrive on a small jet charter."

Putting her phone away Maggie said, "Angus you snake, you haven't be straight with me."

"What do you mean?"

"Your company already has you, its general manager, here on the spot so I ask myself why would your CEO speak to me so suavely and be taking the expensive option of flying in by charter jet and accompanied by his company chairman?"

"Er, it's the way they do business, time being a value commodity."

"Angus, you are a dingo. The name of your chairman is Sir Gerald Ashton-Forbes; I happen to know the magazines I read consistently refer to Sir Gerald as a media mogul. He's coming here to gobble us up, isn't he, you snake?"

"Maggie, believe me, this thing has grown out of all proportion. The company truly does want to establish a printing operation in this country, but it can do that by way of a simple business contact."

"Hmmm. That could be true and they're racked up the concept since you came over here. Whatever, you can stay with us because Midge truly is my cousin; I called my father and he knows her parents well as he's hosted them a couple of times. Everything he told me about Midge stacks up except for one thing."

Maggie paused and the tension grew.

"What was that darling?" asked Harriet.

"That Midge married a snake."

"Gawd, Maggie, I don't know how my bosses are going to cope with you."

"Huh, not only her Angus; if Ryan doesn't like your bosses or worst of all, dislikes what they propose, be prepared for hard counter-punching."

"What are you talking about Harriet? Ryan will do what is best for me."

"Oh yeah," laughed Harriet. "Darling, you've always had difficulty reading the character of males. Some of them have wider interests than just sex and sports; you have chosen to marry one of those exceptions."

"Mother, you scarcely know Ryan – I work and live with him."

"Whatever you say dear, but don't blindly count on his support if any proposal gets to the boardroom as a result of this visit by these Australians. Talking of snakes, do you have a snake in your trousers Angus? That remark shocked Angus and Maggie but Harriet reacted with great hilarity.

"Please excuse my mother, Angus – she had a difficult childhood and remains in that stage of human development."

Angus remained too embarrassed to comment.

When Ryan arrived home Maggie took him to their bedroom for a quiet talk.

"Did you have sex?"

"No, did you?"

"No, but was it offered?"

Ryan grinned. "Yes, she fancies herself as a seductress. How about you?"

"He was powered up, ready to jump me as soon as I winked at him or raised my hem."

"Sexy guy."

"Indeed, a snake and Harriet actually asked him if he had a snake in his trousers."

"What!"

"You know Harriet."

Maggie retrieved the two cocktails she had waiting on the dresser, and handed one to Ryan. "I have a story about today to tell you, so fasten your seatbelt and listen."

Ryan listened and when she'd finished had one word to say, "Jesus."

"It's not nice using that work like that, Ryan."

"Agreed but why the fuck are they still in this apartment?"

"Please cool down – here, let me massage your neck. Cor, it's all knotted. I'll work on it; I promise it's not a prelude to sex...unless you want to."

"No I don't – why didn't you kick them out, the yellow-bellied slippery dingoes."

"Come on darling, don't be cross. Midge is my cousin."

"I bet you she's not, I bet you..."

"I phoned father; he knows about her and knows her parents. He told me I also have cousins in South Africa and several in American."

"I see, that sounds better. I'm just going to kiss your shoulders – they really are loosening up. But this doesn't mean sex...not unless you want to."

"Listen Mrs Chairman – I promise not to take a position until all the washing is hung out."

"What?"

"It's a business term."

"I've never hear of it."

"Are we arguing?"

"Not unless you want to."

"I'd rather have sex than argue."

"What a refreshing thought, allow me to unfasten your buckle."

"Sorry dear, we have guests and you did invite Harriet to stay on for dinner."

* * *

Quite a crowd had gathered at Hamilton Airport as the sleek jet of Digger Airlines of Australia landed.

Ryan received permission to drive on to the tarmac to offload what the security officer called "Our distinguished visitors from Melbourne" and greetings were exchanged quickly, the two chairmen sitting in the back seat, Ross seated alongside Ryan.

Maggie said, "My father has met you a few times at cricket and official functions, Sir Gerald."

"Yes, dear, but please call me Gerald. As your father knows once you step outside of Europe, titles count for nothing except in India of course."

"Yes, I've heard him say that. Gerald, I guess you are running to a timetable. So let's get down to it; are you here to negotiate a joint venture or is your visit predatory?"

"My dear, for one so young and so pretty you have rather a sharp tongue."

"Gerald, answer the question."

Sir Gerald looked uncomfortable. "Ross?"

"Maggie," Ross smoothed. "We'd like to tour the facilities to check of what we've been told then over lunch we'd like to commence discussions, outlining our requirements and you outlining your company's hopes and aspirations to see whether or not we have a mutually acceptable fit."

"We'll show you through, Ross," Maggie said, but in the boardroom we expect straight-talking – not the mealy-mouth crap you just uttered."

"Yes ma'am," he said.

"Right, thank you. We will tour the divisions then move to the boardroom for lunch. We have thirteen stockholders of whom seven comprise the elected board. I've invited all thirteen to the lunch because any substantial change to the company requires seventy-five percent approval of stockholders weighed to the number of shares they hold. Is that clear to you?"

"Very clear, Maggie, and how thoughtful of you to arrange this to expedite a decision," said Sir Gerald. "We are delighted to have the opportunity to put any tentative proposals to your stockholders. We also ask that Angus be permitted to sit alongside us as our on-site adviser together with our legal representative who should be at your offices now."

"Of course," Maggie said.

* * *

Sir Gerald was applauded as he entered the boardroom beside Maggie.

"My word, the natives are receptive," he whispered.

Maggie smiled as although she knew he was an arrogant, single-focused businessman out to dominate, he'd been courteous to her and had a great sense of humor.

After lunch served with beer and top Hawkes Bay wines the business session commenced. The only stockholder missing was Mrs White, who'd sold the business but held a four percent stockholding to maintain an interest.

The meeting was underway when she arrived and in a loud voice told the catering staff to halt clearing away until she filled her plate and secured a glass of red wine. She appeared not to have shaven straggly hair on her face, combed her hair or changed into her best clothes. Nevertheless Ryan shifted everyone down one seat on his side of the table to provide her a seat next to him and warmly introduced her to the visiting delegation.

"Should we wait until you finish eating, Mrs White?" Maggie enquired.

"No, I can hear while I'm chewing – these new dentures don't click like the old ones."

Maggie opened the meeting and explained the business operations of the Australians and said Sir Gerald had asked her to table two proposals on their behalf.

The first was the two media companies enter a join venture to have the New Zealand editions of its magazines printed on theEchopresses. "This could be very lucrative for our company," Maggie said, bringing smiles to faces.

"The other proposal is our Australian cousins may consider buying you all out, discontinuing publication of theEcho and directly controlling the growth of its operations in New Zealand through this acquisition. I have been advised that all jobs in commercial printing will be retained but approximately sixty percent of editorial jobs will be axed."

People in the room looked uneasy as if wondering what was in it for them.

"I shall now ask Sir Gerald to address you, detailing proposals and which one he favors. Sir Gerald."

"Good afternoon everyone. I'll simply give you our proposal for an outright acquisition to debate and arrive at your decision. We are offering $NZ4.00 for each share with a face value of 50c which places a value on your company of $NZ 28,000,000. Take it or leave it. Thank you."

As they say, his audience sat momentarily stunned.

A robust debate followed. Maggie did not participate, reserving her position until last. The meeting appeared roughly divided by a faction led by Ryan calling for a rejection of the offer and any other offer except a printing contract of New Zealand editions of the Australian magazines.

"It such a contract is not forthcoming, so be it," he said.

The opposing faction led by the eloquent chief reader, a retired headmaster aged seventy-five, supported acceptance of the offer "which is forty percent above the valuation of our company presented six months ago."

A comfort stop was called at 3:30 and Maggie drew Ryan aside. "Do you know what you're doing?" she asked brightly. "This sale would set Harriet up for life and give you and me an impressive war chest to revive another but bigger company and continue on our way to becoming multi-millionaires."

"I hear you Maggie, but now you listen. I quote, page two of your company profile distributed to every postal address in the city and throughout are targeted circulation area:

"The company has a dream: to support its community of subscribers to the Echo through thick and thin; to help in the generation of wealth to businesses and individual through dynamic advertising and providing up to 250 jobs, many of which will support families. The aim of the Echo is to give this region of hours an independent and local voice that will echo over the city and environs from the hills."

"Yes, I wrote that, but circumstances have changed."

"They may have changed for we stockholders, Maggie, but not to everyone out there. Acceptance of this enormously attractive offer for the Australians will turn the dream expressed for the community via theEcho will turn into a lie. In accepting this offer to knee-cap theEcho will be an act of treachery far greater than you can imagine."

"Bullshit, Ryan, get real. I want you to back me; I'm all for the sale. When the vote is taken you better support me."

They returned to the meeting to be confronted by a mix of grim and elated faces. Clearly there was a split.

The debate dragged on. In wrapping it up, Sir Gerald recapped then Ryan was invited to say a few words.

"I'll be brief. Don't sell out on the community and remember our ideals when we went into this. Vote no."

"Guys and girls," said Maggie. "Most of us worked our guts out to turn this company around. Our reward now confronts us. If the new owners see the need to provide the city with a community newspaper they'll do it if they see it as a profitable venture. The time has come to walk away with a fat profit in reward for your hard work and the risks you took in investing to turning an ailing operation around. Vote yes."

The vote was taken as a show of hands and the 'yes' faction had seventy-three percent of the vote, just two from the target.

"We seem to be one vote short," Maggie said. "I've recorded sixteen votes." She looked down the list and said smiling, Mrs White, you haven't voted. Are you abstaining?"

"On no, I had a piece of walnut under my dental plate and missed the opportunity to vote. Am I too late?"

"No, I hadn't declared the result; which way do you vote?"

"I'm vote against."

Maggie looked devastated. "Do you understand what you are doing, Mrs White. A vote Yes supports the takeover proposal; a vote no from you scuttles it."

"Yes, I understand clearly Maggie. I have no desire for a bunch of Australians to own our community business; it wasn't established and built up for them. I'm surprised you didn't see it that way when you voted yes."

Maggie looked pained when she announced, "Well thank you everyone. The status quo remains."

Maggie said to Sir Gerald, "I'm ready to run you back to the airport."

"No thank you Maggie. "Ross already has called a hire car we already had on standby in case this unlikely result occurred. We realized we're never going to win them all. Come and see me in Melbourne in the next week or so – I would like to talk to you about heading our acquisition team."

Maggie arrived home late and announced bitterly to Ryan she'd sleep in one of the guest rooms. She cried herself to sleep and awoke a couple of hours later feeling a little better. She went to wake Ryan to see if he wanted a snack but he was not in bed. The wardrobe was partly open and checking she found three of his suits and some casual clothes had gone. In the kitchen she found a letter.

Dear Maggie I'm moving out. I suggest you resign as company chairman as the majority of us feel you have let us down tremendously. Most of those who supported the sale proposal would have surely done so out of greed. You did it as an act of abandonment, using your time with the company purely as a stepping stone. However, appreciation of your huge effort to turn the company around and back into impressive profitability will long be remembered. If you can't accept my stance on this, then divorce me.

Ryan

Maggie tore the note to shreds, screaming, "The bastard, the bastard – how could he do this to me." She was too angry to cry.

It was 10:45 but she phoned Harriet.

"He's left you."

Maggie couldn't believe her ears. "How on earth could you know that?"

"One, because he had good reason and two, because you don't call me at this time of night to talk about mundane matters. I thought the trouble with you was your immaturity when it came to reading people; but you don't even have the faintest idea what community is about."

"I do so, Maggie said defiantly."

"Oh, let us put that to test: You are a member of how many local organizations?"

"None, I don't have the time."

"What is your regular restaurant?"

"Mother, I didn't phone you to play games."

"Come on, answer me."

"I tend to drift around."

"Why do you have your meat couriered from Ponsonby?"

"Because our local butchers' meat is not always prime."

"Then why don't you tell your butcher you'll pay a premium if he provides you with prime cuts?"

"Because it's easier not to bother and get it from a butcher who only sells prime meat. What's the point, mum?"

"I've made my point gently, darling. You are not really involved in your community and you don't understand the need for that. Ivan Cook, your local butcher, is struggling to make ends meet because his parents are both cot cases but refuse to go into a nursing home, so he's paying for twenty-four hour care for them as well as paying for the running of their household while struggling to ensure his two daughters can remain at boarding school in Auckland; they seek high quality education because one wants to be a doctor, the other a lawyer."