You're Worth Dying For Ch. 04

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"I know dear, but the appeal target is $7.5 million -- this appeal is for the extras that make good hospital better for patients, visitors and medical staff."

"I'll phone Geoff in the morning -- if security will put my call through."

"Talk to him live -- he'll be in to see Ryan anytime between 6:00-8:00 am as all good surgeons do before going to theatre."

"How is it you know everything, Harriet?"

"I keep my ears open and thank you for that similar comment you made to the media. You still can surprise me at times. We've also had non-stop visitors and phone calls including some of your old school and varsity friends I haven't heard from in years. It was exciting at first but now has become a bit tiresome. Many of them say you'll get a Government award for bravery."

"Ryan is the deserving one, he was incredibly brave."

Harriet gave Maggie a mother's smile. "Don't kid yourself darling. We all saw you on TV remember?"

"You made us very proud of you, Maggie," Max said. "The astonishing caliber of the man you chose for a husband shone through. You two are on the way to becoming our most distinguished citizens, certainly our most distinguished couple."

Maggie laughed and told Max he was losing it. "I've told our entire community that I attempted to shaft them. I'll be lucky that I'm not run out of town."

"Turn on the Sky News Australia, Max, this story has been running on the hour -- we may have missed some of it."

They had -- the film was showing the end of the media conference, with Maggie out in the hallway, crying in the arms of the surgeon while he was telling media representatives wanting exclusive interviews to arrange times for tomorrow with the hospital's PR officer.

The newsreader came back on screen. "This has been an amazing story and has been running all day. I shall never forget the sight of Maggie de Lacey covered her heroic husband's blood and then immediately by her hostage-taker's blood as he was blown away from her by a high-powered rifle bullets through the shoulders. Now for something different: remember this -- earlier yesterday at the media conference at the hospital where Maggie's husband Ryan lay, recovering from a bullet that passed within a couple of inches of his heart..."

The film clip showed Maggie describing how she had came within an ace of selling her publishing company over the strong resistance of husband Ryan.

The newsreader came back on screen. "Well, you'd think that confession would have angered people, wouldn't you, calling for Maggie's head. But take a look at this. This clip shows Maggie's personal assistant Cathie Banks holding one end of a banner and at the other end is newspaper editor-in-chief Clive Boys who almost had hisEcho closed by board dealings that almost succeeded. Maggie is now being forgiven because she chose her moment to publicly come clean. The words on this banner say, 'Come Back To Us Maggie, We Love You'. Obviously a woman wrote that, probably Maggie's PA but that crowd of people standing behind the banner waving hands in the air are most of the company's staff who support that call. Now listen to this man, a radio-head on KM-FM on the top rating radio station in Maggie's city."

"Hi you Australians. Boy haven't we had a big day over here today. After our midday news today I made one of those off-the-cuff remarks that often get us radio-heads into trouble. I simply said after yesterday's events of Maggie and Ryan de Lacey's heroism the Council should rename our main street where all the drama occurred de Lacey Avenue. Well we received an avalanche of phone calls, text messages, emails and people calling in -- I'd say 1000 in favor for every one against. People are now jamming the council's switchboard attempting to get through to the mayor to tell her to change the name soonest. I tell you folk, I'm attempting to get through to Maggie but it's tighter than Fort Knox at that hospital. Our station wants to buy the rights to Maggie's dress -- showing the blood of her husband, and we have commissioned a songwriter to write a song I think should be called, 'Maggie, You're Worth Dying For'. A hospital nurse said she heard Maggie's husband say those words to her after midnight when she demanded him to explain why he'd acted so stupidly. The T-shirt will carry the words 'Damn, This T-Shirt Needs Washing' and carrying Maggie's signature. Well, that is a wrap on this hour, folk. Thinking about Maggie and Ryan I can simply say this: Do you know any other family that has two genuine heroes. You de Lacey's are inspirational."

Max shook his head. "That guy was right about de Lacey Avenue but then became so sick. It's a good example how to change from ideas man to asshole in two minutes flat."

His wife and Maggie's mother said, "Just wait to hear what Maggie says Max."

"Well, at first I was aghast at the idea of a replica of my bloody dress front being mass produced as t-shirts. But then I thought that young people today rather like cult movements. I'll listen to that radio-head who calls himself Indiana Dick -- if he's smart he's already booked in for an interview. I figure his station should pay for the t-shirts and screen printing using its promotional money, incorporating its name and call sign in the design. Then the station and theEcho will enter an agreement to jointly sell them for thirty bucks plus postage with all proceeds going to the Children's Wing Appeal."

Harriet smiled and told Maggie, "Brilliant darling."

"Think about your personal and business reputation getting into a bad taste production like that," Max growled.

"I have and am prepared to ride with it; for a while folk around here are likely to forgive me for anything."

Earlier Maggie had been woken by the morning nursing staff coming on duty at 6:00 am and turning on the lights.

"Hi, I'm Mia and this is Rae and we know you are the fabulous Maggie de Lacey. We have to wake this other hero up and give him a bed bath. If you don't mind we'll have to pull to curtains to give him his privacy."

"Well, just make sure behind those screens you don't have your way with him."

"Mrs de Lacey!" Rae the younger nurse cried, pushing her beetroot face through the gap she opened in the curtains. "It's all right Mia; she'd laughing her head off."

"Hi, you're looking beautifully tousled this morning," Geoff said taking Maggie's arm to check her pulse.

"Yes, and with sleepers in my eyes. Why are you talking my pulse -- I'm not your patient."

"I know and rarely do I check pulses and other critical signs and most of my patients survive my operations."

"Well, why are you taking mine?"

"You are very attractive."

"Good God, you're one of those doctors who has his way with his patients."

"But you've just said you're not my patient."

Maggie had to agree with that. "Then unhand me, you naughty man."

"Maggie, I want you to feel the good vibes running through me because I have a huge request to ask you."

"Yes, I'll do it."

"Do what."

"Replace you on the funding raising committee."

"But how..."

Maggie explained her mother had visited at 2:00 am and told her about his intentions.

"My honorable intentions."

"Yes, you flirt."

"Maggie we need this money for a project that doesn't have top priority with this hospital administration. I have many patients passing through the Children's Wing, Maggie; regrettably some don't make it. Upgraded facilities won't necessarily save any more young lives but who really knows. It is my belief that children of the 21st century should have hospital amenities befitting the 21st century; we get those in order and then move on to birthing units and then along the chain as fast as resources will allow."

"I understand and I'll assist on one condition."

"Fine."

"I'm a start-up person by nature -- so I'll be with you until we reach our fundraising target for the Children's Wing then I'm gone and don't wish to be pestered to stick around."

"Agreed, you have my promise."

"You know Geoff, I'm one of those flashy, five-minute heroes. You are one of those every day heroes working right under our noses and we never recognize them for what they are."

"Maggie, you're for it, you're embarrassing me. Nurse, please give Mrs de Lacey a bed enema."

"Sorry, can't do Mr Smith -- she's not your patient," Mia said. "Isn't she lovely, are you attempting to have your way with her?"

The two nurses giggled and Ryan called out, "Unhand my wife, you cad."

"Good morning darling," Maggie called brightly. "Your surgeon has lovely hands and a real great touch."

Mia looked through the curtains. "He's not even here."

"No, he left saying he'd be back in five; he's gone away to log you two for disciplinary action for insubordination."

"She's joking isn't she Mr de Lacey?" Rae whispered. Maggie caught the comment.

"Oh no, she never jokes; not Maggie."

The surgeon re-emerged, smiled at Maggie and said, "He's fine apart from the pain of sudden movement or heavier breathing, which is to be expected. He ought to be in a general ward but we're keeping him here for security."

"What, is he in danger," Maggie asked, fear clawing to her throat.

Geoff grinned and came over and took her pulse again, raising his eyebrows as if finding it was thumping.

"He's better up here in tight confinement where we can protect him from the public and mobile patients -- you are not the only hero -- remember. Women's magazine journalists in particular will be crazy about getting through to snap him up -- er, for an interview I mean."

Maggie pretended to become putty in his hands. Although Geoff was in his late forties and married, her heart had softened towards him. "Thank you my protector, I mean our protector," she murmured, fluttering her eyelids, something she never did.

"You're extraordinarily sexy," he whispered.

She closed her eyes to maximize enjoyment of a moment of sheer ecstasy and opened them, expecting to find him gone. He was. The quiet heroes could be expected to do that honorable retreat.

The nurses pulled back the curtains from around Ryan.

One of the young nurses said, "The charge nurse came in to give him his medication against infection and to help with the pain -- he's drifting off to sleep so you better hop across if you want a kiss. He kisses so beautifully," she teased. By now Maggie was on to these nurses -- they knew how to brighten their day by being proactive with patients. Maggie had also become aware those working this intensive care unit regarded her as an honorary patient.

Maggie slipped across to kiss her husband. "Who are you?" he murmured sleepily. "Someone else to service?"

Maggie closed his lips with a finger and smiled her broadest to let him know she was on to him. The only infection detectable in this unit was rampant teasing.

An older woman in civilian clothes wearing a serious face that lightened to produce a soft smile for Maggie said with a matching soft voice, "Good morning, Mrs de Lacey, I'm Margaret Jones, unit manager. "Your presence here is highly irregular but owing to the circumstances I must say I approve."

Maggie felt sure that she wasn't been rebuked, but it sounded a close call.

Margaret produced a proper looking smile. "Forgive me but my youngest daughter knows you're in my ward. She's asked me to try to get your autograph which she intends to sell to help raise funds for her touch rugby team to go to the national finals in Wellington."

The women's honesty almost shocked Maggie. Anyone giving an autograph would expect it to be treasured, not commercialized.

"Certainly, what is your daughter's name?"

"Kismet Smith."

"What a wonderful name."

"Smith is rather a common name," Mrs Smith said absolutely straight-faced. Maggie now really liked this hospital and its staff -- she resolved to put everything into achieving that $7.5 million target for the Children's Wing makeover.

Margaret handed Maggie a paper and pen when Maggie had finished putting on her lipstick. Maggie signed her name after kissing the imprint of her lips on to the paper. She pulled out a fifty dollar note and handed both items to Margaret and then wrote a note which she also handed across together with her business card.

"The money is a donation for the football trip; I now support worthy community causes. I suggest you take that note and my business card and call on radio station KM-FM and have the radio-head Indiana Dick call for the highest bid for my genuine personalized autograph -- the one and only of its kind which I promise will not be repeated."

"I couldn't do that -- he's so terrible, bordering on being vile."

"Does Kismet listen to him?"

"Yes, much to our disgust; she and her friends appear to be addicted."

"Listen to me Margaret, I'm positive that beneath it all that radio-head is only just short of being a normal guy and his real name is probably Richard Smith or Jones. His behavior is purely a marketing tool -- I should know as self-marketing is how I do business. If Kismet gets swamped with money, suggest she donates any surplus to the Children's Wing fund."

"She'd probably be happy to do that -- she'd already organized her friends into running two stalls to raise money for the fund."

"How old is Kismet?"

"Just turned sixteen."

"Hmmm. I'd like to meet her in a week or two to find if she's suitable to be my young persons' consultant on my action committee."

"I'm sure she'd do anything for you, Maggie. She's been rabiting on about you being our very own Lara Somebody."

"Croft?"

"Yes, that's it."

"Don't young people go overboard with vivid imaginations," Maggie laughed drawing a thoughtful smile from Margaret.

"I saw from one of the stories in yesterday's Late Late edition of theEcho that your mother allowed you to change your given name to Maggie. I wish my mother had called me Maggie."

"Then why don't you ask if she'd mind if you changed your name?"

"I couldn't."

"Why not?"

Margaret screwed up her nose. "She wouldn't like it."

"You don't know that until you ask her."

Margaret dug deeper and said she knew her mother, Maggie asked where did her mother live and was told Hamilton.

"Then I suggest you rush to your mother's side, act like an excited schoolgirl and tell her what you want.

"Why do that?"

"The name Maggie seems to be on the lips of many people at the moment; Kismet is romanticizing about me; don't think that older people, especially women, have forgotten how to romanticize."

Pausing for a moment, Margaret said, "It's worth a try, nothing to lose really."

Right, said Maggie, and told Margaret what to do. "Sit down with her tonight in front of TV to watch The News -- there is bound to be a follow-up on the bank robbery as Pluto is to appear in Court this morning and then a special sitting of the Court will be held in the orthopedic ward of this hospital where Mickey Mouse will be charged with aggravated robbery as a holding charge."

"How do you know this -- we've kept the newspapers away from you two?"

"Superintendent Joll phoned late last night to check on how we were. He told me and said a whole raft of charged including grievous bodily harm and attempted kidnapping will be laid against those clowns. So, if the name Maggie is mentioned during the broadcast, you just say, "How do you feel about the name Maggie, mother? Make sure no-one else is in the room as that could be a distraction. You mother will reply and you'll know how to work it so she ends up saying what a wonderful idea to change your name to Maggie."

"You are truly brilliant Maggie; we have lots of important people through here because they are disproportionately represented in the type of patients we get, but your brilliance just oozes from you."

"Come on, you Wannabe Maggie; you're piling it on so thick you'll drown in it. I bet your mother is immensely proud of what you do."

"She is," Margaret said modestly, returning to her more pragmatic way of viewing herself and life around her.

Margaret pulled up her watch pinned over his breast. "Oh heavens look at the time. You must shower, breakfast in our staffroom and get ready for your very big day. I have been advised that your first appointment is earlier than expected, 8:30. Some big shot has flown in from Sydney to pick up his daughter who was in the bank with you yesterday. I saw her on TV last night and there's a whole page in theEcho about her and her friend saying kind things about you and describing their fears. They are also on Page 4 of theHerald -- it's first six pages this morning are all about the bank robbery including a huge front page photo of you in...er..of you."

"In my blood soaked white dress?"

"Oh God, I didn't want you to know."

"It's fine, such things happen in a day's work. I want to see those newspapers."

"There're in the left bottom cupboard beside the stove, I must fly. Have a nice day."

"You too -- I bet you're another unsung heroine."

Margaret cast an almost incomprehensible look at Maggie as she hurried from the room.

Maggie felt sickened as she looked at the photograph of the blood beginning to spurt from the left-hand side of Ryan's chest "tearing through flesh and bone and partly severing an artery as it slammed to a halt emerging partly through the rear of the victim's ribcage, missing his heart by 43 millimeters, according to the surgeon who operated." It was miraculous he'd not been shot straight through the heart at such close range when Pluto waited to fire at very close range.

"Police arms experts believe two things saved hero Ryan de Lacey's life -- the inexperience of man who shot him and the slight deflection of the bullet hitting the metal button of Ryan's jeans shirt pocket. Of course, the police having a surgeon in the team of standby medics completed the life-saving miracle as the picture (left) shows, the surgeon cutting open the victim's chest where he fell to reach the artery to stem the blood flow. Maggie, his plucky wife, watched horrified, clasped in the grip of Superintendent Erasmus Joll -- known to fellow senior officers as Sleepy Joll -- but not attempting to break free -- we think to avoid interfering with the surgeon working at near blinding speed."

Maggie rushed across the hallway and vomited into the toilet. For the first time she felt the fear she'd known lay buried deep within her, and was relieved. She'd really be back to her old self now.

Maggie's mother had couriered clothes to her so Maggie dressed elegantly in dark green for her morning interviews. She decided on a similar simple dress in violet for the afternoon interviews and her favorite of her little black dresses for the TV interview.

Jenny Silver, the hospital's public relations officer rushed in to give her the interview schedule, even time slot being taken.

"A heavy schedule darling," said the PR specialist with the usual familiarity of their profession. "But you should cope easily -- I read you are into Pilates."

"And I suppose read how I pee?"

"Oh, come on, Maggie -- the media believes in the public's right to know."

"Even about the way I pee?"

"Maggie, I have not read a word about that."

"Well, that's encouraging."

Jenny said instead of using the training room where the press conferences were held, they'd decided to set up in the public foyer, providing a real hospital atmosphere for still and TV cameras.

"Prime has paid $50,000 for a thirty-minute live interview tonight at 7:00 that will run for forty-five minutes including advertisements."

"Fifty thousand?" Maggie queried.

"Yes, stations in Sydney and Melbourne are taking it live and they'll market extracts elsewhere but the clever bastards realized they're the only TV network that hasn't made a donation to the Children's Wing makeover so loaded that on top of the commercially-sensible fee they were prepared to offer. The slow thinkers at TV1 are considering buying re-screening rights to show the interview at 9:30 tonight as the Minister of Broadcasting has reminded everyone that not everyone in the country receives Prime TV."