• Authors
  • Colinthedog

Colinthedog

I am English, therefore I think, speak and write in English. That is English English, not the Queens English, not Scots, Welsh, Irish, or Cornish English and certainly not any colonial variant.

I do not often pay much attention to comments unless they are actually offering some advice. The bitchy personal attacks to me only have two effects, one they make me laugh and two, they usually make the commenter look like a twat. The ones that puzzle me however, are the ones where the commenter has obviously missed the bit that explains what their problem is. There is one person that has commented on some of my work with complaints that I could only take as praise. One thing that seems to come up from many comments is English, English. I will try to explain.

When I read something such as a formal document, I expect it to be in correct formal English. When I read a story or novel, I only expect formal, or correct English from third person narration, characters thoughts, speech and first person narration, should, to me, be in the vernacular of the character.

When I first discovered Literotica, I found there were many words and phrases used by people from other countries that I did not understand, but I learned very quickly to highlight the problem word or phrase and click on “search google for whatever” and hey presto there it is and I have learned something. I don't think it is much to think my readers are intelligent enough to do this for themselves.

My punctuation, does leave a lot to be desired and I think has improved since I began writing and of course, as are all writers, guilty of typo's.

Other comments do not seem to appreciate my next points,

Unless I state otherwise in a story I am writing about England. That is English people, police and roads, I have ridden motorcycles for over forty years and driven cars, vans and small lorries for thirty five, in that time I must have clocked up close on a couple of million miles.

In that time I have learned where and when you can push the law, such as, on any Friday night most officers are hanging around known trouble spots which means less chance of being caught speeding on the open road. Aside from a couple of cities police will generally have a more relaxed attitude to bad language if it is not directed at them than many other countries.

I know some people have a problem with this, fine: don't read my stuff.
Also, fairly recently I have discovered several American Ex pats on you tube anyone wishing to learn some the differences between America, Britain and Europe might like to check them out, I certainly found them enlightening..

https://www.youtube.com/c/InternationalKarl

https://www.youtube.com/c/AMANDARAEUK

https://www.youtube.com/c/GirlGoneLondonofficial


Americans still in America

https://www.youtube.com/c/JamesBray3

https://www.youtube.com/c/NateLawson

A Canadian

https://www.youtube.com/c/AdventuresandNaps

Location

England

Author Stats

10 Years AgoMember Since
Two Years AgoUpdated
435Followers
208Following
16My Favorites
24My Comments
1Series Published

Contact Author

Contact Colinthedog by clicking here.