• Authors
  • JAFCritic

JAFCritic

How To Give Useful Critique.
Specifically for fiction oriented feedback, but with concepts worthwhile for all areas of critiquing.
Originally requested by @ephirae.

The Devil is in the Details.
If you signed up to give feedback on a manuscript, be prepared to do two things:
1. For every opinion you give, explain why.
What lead you to the conclusion you reached? If you don’t know this, you may need to reread a few times until you figure it out.

2. For every specific situation, concept, or relationship the writer asks about, describe your interpretation back to them.
Give a short summary, whether its of what you believe happened, or how you think that piece of world building works, or why you believe those characters came to that conclusion, or why the PoV character is feeling these emotions.

Often problems appearing toward the end of a manuscript are caused by misunderstandings in earlier segments. If you tell the writer your interpretation of the key events as you go, they can identity the root of those problems much easier.

Negative Critique: Courtesy Is Key.
Unless you are either (a) a professional editor who’s being paid to whip the manuscript into shape or (b) a long time critique partner with a strong relationship with the author, always be as kind and gentle with negative critique as you can. If a writer trusts you enough to let you look at something they poured their soul into, it’s your responsibility to be honest but also courteous.

Try to avoid:
Sarcasm; “Like that would ever happen.”
Absolutes; “This would NEVER happen.”
Abruptness; “Bad. Change.”
Arrogance; “This wouldn’t happen. [My way] would. Do it instead.”

Better ways to approach negative critique:
Make it clear that you understand the problem might not be in the writer’s ideas, but your interpretation of them. Don’t harp on a writer’s creativity– guide them towards explaining their awesome concepts better!

Respect the time and effort that’s already gone into the writing by demonstrating that this work as valuable, even if major changes are still needed. Example: ”You have a lot of great concepts here, like [this and this], but I think they would hit home a lot harder if you rewrote the chapter [like this], while still including [the good aspects of the current chapter].”

Your personal writing style is unique to you. Pick out incidences of passive voice, filter words, and bulky or awkward sentences, but don’t try to rewrite sentences to fit your personal preferences unless you’ve already talked it over with the writer in length.

All your critiques are only your opinion, and they aren’t necessarily the same opinions of this writer’s future publisher. Mention when a writer’s use or breakage of a “writing rule” throws you off, but don’t claim your preferred way is the correct way.

Member Stats

6 Years AgoMember Since
A Long Time AgoUpdated
1Followers
63Following
2My Favorites
135My Comments

More About Me

Dating Status

Attached

Contact Member

Contact JAFCritic by clicking here.