Sexualizing Rape

Story Info
Exploring some confused feelings about the Nonconsent tag.
2.1k words
4.48
24.3k
17
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

A note to my regular readers: As you can tell, this is not a story. In fact, not only is this an essay, it's an essay about the most perverted subject of all: Politics! So you might want to steer clear if that's not your thing. Evergreen Forest #13 is on the way, along with several other story updates! :)

~~~~~~~~

I am pro-social justice.

I feel I should make that fact clear now, before we get into the real meat of this issue. I'm sure this fact will color many people's reading of my essay, and ironically enough, a lot of people tend to get very offended when they hear that I'm a part of the movement best-known for finding things offensive. This is a political affiliation I initially held in a great deal of contempt myself, in fact.

But over the years, I've found myself leaning more and more in its direction. I'm a social justice activist. I think diversity is awesome. I think women are pushed towards lower-paying professions like art and teaching. I think that even when you take into account the different professions, women still get paid a bit less on average. I think monsters like racism and misogyny are still alive and well. I think the media shapes perceptions, I think Hollywood gives older actresses too few options, I think there's way too much sexualization and objectification in our media today, and I think wow wait WHAT.

Goblin, what are you high on? Is it the heady drug of self-righteousness? Do you see the site logo at the top? You shouldn't write essays while high, you know, it's unsafe. Seriously, you write porn! Don't be a hypocrite!

...yeah. That's the paradox in my views. And it's something I actually legitimately worry about. Because sometimes I wonder: Am I doing the right thing in writing and posting these stories?

Mind you, it's not the sexualization that worries me. I have nothing against porn (though I personally prefer the written kind), and porn kinda goes hand in hand with sexualization. I don't ever claim to write erotica, by the way. I call what I write "classy porn"—it's not quite erotica, since it still focuses heavily on sex and doesn't try to be ambiguous or flowery about it, but I try to have stories and characters and personalities and, well, stuff that makes readers give a shit. My characters are supposed to grow and change and all that shebang.

But I still write porn, in my mind.

No, the sexualization? That's okay with me. Porn shouldn't be that shameful. It's harmless fantasy at the core, after all. As long as the industry is being handled ethically (and some of you might have heard of recent incidents indicating that the video sector, at least, still has work to do there), the medium is not a real problem.

So what has this goblin uneasy?

Well, I write stories fetishizing rape.

Yeah. No ifs/ands/buts about it. Rape. Horrible, dehumanizing rape. Sure, it's about mind control, a fictional premise, but there are certainly ways of controlling people in real life that come close. And even if it's just made-up mind control, there's still a definite culture in the world that talks about how people are "asking for it", or "secretly want it", that one gender is supposed to be in charge of the other, that mind control-based porn clearly feeds on some basic level. Some people like the idea. And I'm pretty sure at least a couple of those people read my stories. It's not unlikely.

Mind you, I'm sure the vast majority of my readers are crazy cool people who fully understand that no means no and rape is horrible and traumatic and all that stuff and there's never any excuse. But it's still something that weighs on me. Like I said before, I believe media has power to influence perceptions. And what I do is a form of media. I ain't exactly a household Literotica name, but I have people who read my stories. I'm not totally voiceless. I mean, you're reading me right now, aren't you?

Even just on a personal "is this good for me" level, what I am doing is glorifying and sexualizing something that is very often sexualized in our world already. I have a whole series of stories about a country overrun by a few mysoginistic extremists who brainwashed the populace into accepting a culture where woman are turned into virtually mindless sex slaves. And sure, it ends with the men getting offed, but not before the rapes are sexualized for all they're worth.

Nonconsent is, obviously, something I'm interested in writing about. But should it not be? Should I stop? Am I helping to reinforce the hideous side of our online culture? You know, the side that posts explicit photos and videos of "bitchy ex-girlfriends" to "teach them a lesson"?

I hope you can understand now why I feel...uncomfortable.

All this said, there are reasons I have to not hate what I do. Ultimately, what I do is absurd fantasy. I write that, and I'm sure most of my readers know that. It's literally in the Fantasy section. These obscene crimes are perpetrated through made-up mind control, and it is never shown to ultimately be a good thing—always mind control rape is depicted as a heinous act, and while I don't exactly tackle post-traumatic stress disorder, the victims always leave it badly affected.

To some level, I also try to deconstruct the rape fantasy. Take "Shifty Characters", where the hypnotist who's constantly claiming his victims secretly want it is plainly called out as being full of self-serving shit. Or, of course, my main work, Evergreen Forest, in which the survivors tend to plainly refer to their rape and the fey perpetrating it are almost entirely depicted as outright evil. I haven't been perfect about that in the past, admittedly (my older work simply isn't as good in general, after all), but it's something I'm paying more attention to now. In an upcoming chapter, in fact, the fey catgirl Nipper will have a clear line drawn between herself and those fey that force mortals to serve their whims.

I don't want my stories to be taken that seriously. The sex scenes are generally depictions of awful, awful events, but they're meant as plain porn. You read them, you enjoy them, maybe you take some interest in the stories happening through it all, and then you move on.

To my understanding of BDSM, a key premise is that it's always "Safe, Sane and Legal"—fully consensual, to the extent that the Sub is often considered to be "in charge" when it comes to leading the relations. In fact, those relations are referred to as "scenes", keeping everything strictly within a fictional narrative. I have no interest in shaming practitioners of BDSM (technically, my work falls within its broad categories), and nothing to me seems wrong with the practice. So does that mean what I do is just as okay? I mean, both are fantasies, works of fiction revolving around a made-up unhealthy relationship. They're exactly the same, clearly!

Except they aren't. Because for one thing, my work isn't exactly private!

My work isn't private. That's the big difference I keep coming back to. And so I can excuse it for myself, telling myself I know all this stuff, I'm cool, I'm not like those other moms, I'm a cool mom—wait, sorry, that's from something else. The point is, despite that, I am still at some level responsible for the impact my work has on a culture I am already aware of.

I'll just say it, and I'm sure people are going to shoot me annoyed looks for it. But...well, am I encouraging rape culture? Is fetishizing rape and other atrocities just, well, wrong? I mean, we wouldn't be comfortable fetishizing other illegalities, like pedophilia. We'd worry we were encouraging the wrong element along! We know the situation at college frathouses and in dark alleyways these days (oh, how we wish these problems really did only happen in those mythical alleyways of yore...). Are there future rapists reading this essay right now?

Are they standing right behind you?

Okay, sorry, badly-timed joke. But the question is sincere, albeit ugly: Is my work what rapists are masturbating to? Is my work part of the media that encourages them on? To paraphrase a bit of spoken-word poetry I heard recently: "Sex can exist without porn / And love can exist without porn / And men can exist without porn / And women can exist without porn / And marriage can exist without porn / But rape / Rape cannot exist without porn."

The poet said that the last line wasn't necessarily meant literally to say that all porn is bad. It was just to get people talking. But we can't deny that the sort of person who thinks rape is a valid way for him or her to fulfill his or her "needs" doesn't live in a vacuum. He or she has to get that encouragement from somewhere, or somewheres.

Friends.

Family.

And if it comes from anywhere in media, if it comes from anywhere in porn, maybe it comes from porn like mine. Sad, absurd, satirical porn about rape and murder and hypnosis and fairies and cranky thieves and druids/spies/witches/catgirls who really can't "keep their legs closed", who really are "asking for it", who really do "secretly love it". Like mine.

So what?

What do I do about that? How do I feel about that? Is my work part of the problem?

Can it be part of the solution?

Something I've been remembering as I've been writing this—and this really was only ever an attempt at self-therapy on the subject—is that just as media can shape perceptions for evil, so can it for good. And even porn is media! Even porn can change how people see things, albeit in very tiny, very little ways. But as porn itself really needs to remember, size doesn't really matter as long as you aren't standing still or going the wrong way.

I can't just view my stories as being nothing. They are something. They are within a realm of something, not a vacuum. They, alongside the k'b'jillions of other pornfics and erotica stories out there, have an effect, just like South Park or Glory or the writings of Ida B. Wells or To Kill A Mockingbird or Snow White and the Seven Dwarves and even this very essay, all have effects.

And if I'm going to be contributing to some sort of idea, maybe I can write my stories to reflect grains of sand of the world. The nonconsensual fantasy I have in my stories will stay—and just as before, not everyone will necessarily escape their captors—but I can take care to keep the culture my works exist within in mind.

And for fans of my stories who somehow have stuck it out this long, what does that mean for my stories? Not that much, honestly. I don't plan on flipping course and going all Jack Chick on anyone. Nobody likes preachiness, even for a good cause, and my stories will continue to have the same sex and absurdity they always have—but they will also continue to depict what happens on a realistic moral level.

To make it simple: No means no. Mind controlled yes also means no. Any sort of rape is a horrible experience, and victims of rape do not immediately shrug off the effects—not are they instantly broken. The Cloistered Lands are a dangerous world, even if the danger takes a seductive air, and the characters will continue to regard it as such. Bad things will still happen to good people, and the sexualization will continue—just with the usual hints of realistic reactions thrown in.

And at the end of this essay, I'm still not perfectly at-ease. I didn't expect to be. I may look at this again in a year or so and decide, you know what, it's still not okay. I'll have to see how the stories come out.

There will always be a bad element. I can't change that. One day soon, I hope a lot of the current culture will be changed, but that's up to forces much more significant than I. I'm just a drop in a current there, and which way we flow will not be my call.

All I can do is know where I stand. For now, I know exactly where that is. And I can only hope I know where I'm walking.

-

-

-

And trust me, there's going to be a whooooole other essay about how Literotica doesn't allow "rape" (and therefore "rape culture") as a tag, which I only just found out while trying to upload this essay. You're not fooling anyone, you know. Except maybe you are, which would be really bad. More research needed!

Please rate this story
The author would appreciate your feedback.
  • COMMENTS
Anonymous
Our Comments Policy is available in the Lit FAQ
Post as:
Anonymous
48 Comments
FrigOfFuryFrigOfFuryover 2 years ago

As an author who also writes lots of noncon, I'm right there with you. And honestly, the issue for me is that there are plenty of people who believe in feminism and social justice and lots of people who believe in those same things but without the labels and maybe a little quieter about it, who also just really enjoy a rape fantasy. Fantasy rape is just extremely different from real rape, because the rapist is not in control of what happens, and in fact does not actually even exist. When writing it, I can always see to it that justice is served and my character fully recovered. Even when reading it, I can stop at any time, and often I can trust the author to do the same for the protagonist that I would have. It's really much more like sexual role-play than like rape. It even has the advantage that for the protagonist, they don't have to navigate the various interpersonal complications of negotiating a sexual role-play, the limits of safety, second-guessing themself as to whether it all really is a responsible allocation of personal resources, etc. It's just "hey, you have to be a sexual being now! Not your fault, nothing you can do about it, and it's guaranteed to work out in the end, so you can just put down all your workaday cares and enjoy it."

Where I get worried, though, is when I think about where the story will go, and who will read it as a confirmation that deep down women want to be dominated, or that women who dare to be autonomous should just expect to be raped, etc. This is especially true of my darker work, which I typically don't release anywhere for exactly that reason. Even with my publicly released work, I've reduced the time-to-consequences for rapists, and also just reduced the number of circumstances in which it's intentional rape in the first place. Rape without rapists, in other words, where the entity forcing copulation is either not a rational being (e.g. an animal, or a person under some kind of mindless compulsion), or some contrived set of circumstances leads them to having a well-justified belief that the sex is fully consensual. It can distort storytelling a little, but it's not transcendent literature here, it's something fun. It's okay to distort the story a little and maybe reuse some premises in order to produce something fun that has a minimal chance of validating violent beliefs about women (and everyone else, for that matter).

Now, will future rapists masturbate to it anyway? Perhaps. But the real question is: did it *encourage* them to rape? I would trust not, with some due diligence.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 3 years ago
I don't have an answer, but...

The biggest impact anyone can have, the most influence anyone can have on thier own culture, are their own children.

I'm not saying you're doing a crappy job, I'm just saying what I feel I've been needing to say for some time. I don't have a forum like this to reach a hundred, or a million readers, and all of my friends (much like myself) are childless.

What I'm saying is that we, as a culture, need to teach our sons how to treat women, and our daughters how to treat men. And that's as much on the mother, as it is on the father. As a man I know for a fact that men act differently when there aren't any women around, but as a man who was raised by his mother and two sisters (I was homeschooled, and never had any male friends) any male influence I may have had in my younger or more formative years was minimal. I have a father, He lives with me now that my mother kicked him out. And before I get distracted on that topic, I need to say that my father was a good husband. My mother, while having certai mental issues, was a good wife in my younger years She took care of him and he took care of her. They taught me how to treat women. I don't objectify anyone. I'm not sexiat, or racist.

And to touch on that other topic, I'll point out that we're all affected by our own experiences. My oldest sister was married to a shit husband who had three children with other women and two with her in the two years they were together. My niece and nephew are only aged 11 months apart.

My sister's experiences with her shit husband (may he rot in hell) flavored the way she sees men now, and have left her with serious scars.

And my father, he's said things about women, now that he's single that he never said while married and in love. Things he never said while I was young, things he raised me to not believe. That women are weak, stupid, and impossible to live with or trust.

And that's simply not true. The only thing exclusive to any gender... is thier GENDER.

Other than that, we're all human. There are shit men, and shit women. It doesn't matter what color you are or what you hide in your pants.

All I know, after dealing with my sister, and now my father, is that the answer lies in our children. And I sorely wish that I had a son and daughter to prove this with, but since I don't I'm relegated to the sidelines because my argument doesn't matter, because the things parents hate the most, is child raising advice from people who don't have children.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 3 years ago
does fictional rape make violence seem normal, or does it discharge violent tendencies?

I'm not sure of the answer, though I fear the first alternative may be more frequently true. However, I believe strongly that forbidding anything should require a level of proof that it does harm far exceeding that available for any kind of adult porn. Actual sex between a mature adult and a true minor would be an example of something I am sufficiently convinced does grave harm, sufficient for me to support forbidding it. Computer-generated kiddie-porn to me lies on the boundary where I can't make up my mind if the evidence justifies criminalization.

AnonymousAnonymousover 3 years ago
Safe, Sane, and Legal

I found this entire essay very intriguing. I've enjoyed your work a lot since you were recommended to me, and this is the first piece I've felt compelled to respond to. Obviously nothing I personally say can change the inner conflict you feel. However, I think its very interesting that you mention the consensual nature of BDSM, because it brings to mind an interesting dynamic.

There are people who enjoy r*pe fantasy for the exact opposite reason as some others might. The idea of being forced by some handsome or beautiful stranger is what gets their blood pumping. And yet, these people (let's drop the pretense, its me, I'm talking about me, and folk who share my fetishes) would never dream of wandering into some dark alley and literally asking for it. No, the fetish has to be explored in a more constructive and safe manner. It's stories, fiction like yours, that help us to explore this aspect of our sexuality in a safe, theater of the mind scenario.

And while it may be true that some people may be radicalized by seeing such acts in the porn they read, is porn any different than the horrible acts of violence we see on television every day. That's besides the point, I'm not gonna start talking about how videogames don't make spree shooters or how TV doesn't make criminals. I guess what I'm trying to say is, the fact that you worry about this at all is a great sign.

We need to be able to explore our urges, and while I'm not too keen in imagining myself in the controller's role of one of your stories, I imagine there are people just like me out there on the other side of this dynamic, who feel the sexual enjoyment out of control and coercion, but recognize its dangers. I would urge you, don't think of yourself as radicalizing monsters, think of yourself as offering a vent for these kind of urges. People don't choose what they are attracted to. Human sexuality is strange. Healthy ways to express all dangerous desires are necessary, or we risk stifling and eventually making people snap.

AnonymousAnonymousover 3 years ago
Re: "Do rapists masturbate to my work"

I must say, regardless of anything else, I'd much rather some potential rapist masturbating to your work than getting all hot and bothered and going out and actually harming someone. It certainly isnt the best solution, but I suppose what I'm trying to say is that I wouldn't be surprised if your work actually kept some people from doing something very bad and very evil.

Show More
Share this Story

Similar Stories

The Garden of Unearthly Delights She goes to the botanical garden; taken by an alien plant.in NonHuman
The Crazy Ex Jack decided things were over. She decided things weren't.in NonConsent/Reluctance
Essay: A Theory of Angry Cucks Why do some guys get so violently angry at cuck stories?in Reviews & Essays
Female Sexual Response: Subject 326 Psych major agrees to participate in a research study.in Toys & Masturbation
Taken By Two Boys Two bullies take mother in front of son and husband.in NonConsent/Reluctance
More Stories