Who Cares Where a Page Breaks?

Story Info
My rationale for irritating almost everyone.
978 words
4.31
7.1k
3
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
A_Bierce
A_Bierce
523 Followers

In my naiveté, I figured that the standards for evaluating the written word at Literotica were more or less the same as the generally accepted standards for writing. Having read something over 2000 stories here (including most of the Loving Wives offerings), I realize that the BTB-vs-RAAC flame wars corrupt the comments in this category but, silly me, I thought that those who were truly interested in reading and writing—especially those who, in my not-so-humble opinion, were demonstrably skilled writers—usually took the opportunity to comment on the quality (or lack thereof) of the writing.

What I didn't anticipate was the firestorm of complaints and derision that I kindled by submitting my story in segments of 3000-3500 words, nor the scorn I inspired by explaining that I committed such a mortal sin so that I could control where the Literotica pages (hereinafter Lpages) break. I specify Lpages because "page" by itself is too vague: does that mean a typewritten page (those of you born after 1980 or so might have to Google® the term), a Microsoft Word page, a screenful...

The classic—some may prefer the term "archaic"—typewritten page is based on 12-pitch typeface and comprises 25 lines containing a mean 10 words, or around 250 words. The word count of a Microsoft Word page depends on the sheet dimensions, margins, running headings and footings, font size, line spacing, paragraph spacing, keeps, kerning, und so wieter. The word count of a screenful depends on the size of the monitor, resolution, scaling, plus the characteristics of the text being displayed. Hence the need for specificity.

I don't know how Literotica decides to divide submitted text into Lpages, but sometimes we're presented with closing pages that consist of a line or two, a single paragraph, or—the ultimate absurdity—only the two words THE END. I can only assume that Literotica breaks stories into Lpages without regard to content.

Being a neophyte Literotica contributor, I've had to fall back on my previous understanding of the tools and techniques that a writer uses to create characters and set them on some sort of journey. A few of these are word choice, sentence length, paragraph length, point of view, dialog veracity, and story line (plot). There are others, of course; one in particular is responsible for my concern about where Literotica breaks pages: flow.

The overall pace of the story is how rapidly the characters are established and the story proceeds from start to finish. But within the story the pace isn't uniform. Some sections move slowly, almost languidly, to establish a mood; others move more quickly to maintain the reader's interest. A few might even race along breathlessly to heighten tension. Even within these sections there might be shorter parts with similar variation of pace and mood.

In music, this is called phrasing. Its importance is underscored by the role of the conductor, who leads the orchestra in his interpretation of the composer's phrasing. A composition played by the same orchestra following the same score under the baton of different conductors will sound subtly different and evoke different responses from the audience.

Yes, there's a point to all this. When one comes to the end of an Lpage, one clicks either Next or the subsequent Lpage number. However quickly the reader does this, it's still a break in focus, an interruption of the flow; it's not a seamless process like turning the page in a printed book (remember those?). I believe that, depending on where the break occurs with respect to the author's intended phrasing, it can either be insignificant or disruptive, and is of legitimate concern to the author.

It's obvious, however, that hardly anyone else agrees with this—particularly seasoned and well-thought-of authors—so I shall abstain from further attempts to control where page breaks occur and leave it up to whatever algorithms Literotica uses to break up stories.

However comma

This, of course, should be the start a new Lpage (the content deviates from the preceding blatherskite), but I can't do that without pissing off the Pope, Mr. and Mrs. North and South America, and all the ships at sea. Though I labored to maintain a civil tongue in this rationale, I have to confess that I was puzzled by all the twisted knickers strewn about in the wake of A C&W Song in the Key of Life, and more than a little irritated by some of the comments.

Not only was there endless bitching about my audacity in submitting a story in such teensy dribbles, one Lit luminary somewhat condescendingly instructed—not advised, mind you, instructed—me not to do it again, and forget having any rationale for wanting to control where Literotica breaks pages. Another referred to my notion that an author might have a reason to care about where Literotica breaks pages as a "bizarre fetish." Well excuse me, folks, I'm just a country boy tryin' to spin a tale or two and maybe tickle a fancy or two, so mea culpa for gettin' above my raisin's.

All of which makes me wonder whether I'm toiling in the proper vineyard. It's not that I object to criticism by Literotica readers—I've been dissed, sometimes mightily, by myriad folk of greater, equal, and lesser consequence. Although I can't honestly say I don't give a rat's ass about scores, I'm quite content with anything above 4; I write what I would like to read and if not many others like it, tough darts.

I have a few stories in the pipe, and a couple are almost complete; I'll probably submit them here. But there are other venues where I might have more control over how stories are presented; I'll have to investigate to see if they might not be a more congenial home for someone with my benighted notion of authorial prerogative (or, as some would have it, my Christlike self-image).

Y'all come back soon, hear?

A_Bierce
A_Bierce
523 Followers