Racial Profiling 101

Story Info
What it's like to be a black man in America.
1.4k words
2.14
17.1k
0
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
Samuelx
Samuelx
2,122 Followers

Brother Samuel here. America's favorite bisexual black male post-collegiate adventurer. Back from obscurity with my most realistic story ever. Why so realistic? Simply because it really happened. It concerns my attempts to find answers to an age-old question. Why are some people so dumb? I mean it, some folks are just stupid. And they are completely incapable of seeing this flaw in themselves. This is a problem which I must address seriously. Is there something in the water which makes people dumb? I think it must be so. How else could you explain some of the things I am encountering these days. The strange behaviors of American men and especially American women will never cease to amaze me. They're such a weird bunch. Two-faced, and deceitful. Lucky for us, I am more than equipped to deal with them.

The other day, I walked into a department store in the city of Brockton. The store is located near East Bridgewater, right at the city limits. I just walked in. Just a six-foot-something good-looking and well-dressed black man in his early twenties casually strolling into a store. At the same time I entered, there were others entering. Notably a rather hefty white woman with a huge shopping bag and her tall, slender son who wore a blue outfit and a red backpack. They walked in at the same time I did. However, I was the only one approached by this light-skinned black man in a security guard uniform. He asked me to leave my bag at the counter, for security reasons.

I was rather surprised, to tell you the truth. When I asked the man why he wanted me to leave my bag at the counter, he told me that it was store policy. I pointed to the hefty white woman with the oversized shopping bag and her son's backpack. The security guard said they weren't a risk, then asked if I were going to comply with his order and leave my bag at the counter. I absorbed all of this slowly. According to this security guard, the store had a policy of asking people to leave their bags at the counter. Yet that day, the policy only applied to me. Why?

I knew the answer the moment I asked myself the question. I am a black man in America. And I'm entering a department store. Of course my presence makes the store owners, clients and personnel nervous. Of course they must ask me to leave my bag at the counter. It's all part of Racial Profiling 101. In the eyes of America's rulers, all black men are considered potential enemies of the Republic. Orders are to keep a watchful eye on them wherever they may be. I looked at the security guard and told him that I'd rather leave. With that, I walked out of the department store with my head high and contempt on my face for the enforcers of that biased policy.

As I began the long trek home, I walked with a heavy heart. I kept asking myself over and over, what have I done to deserve such treatment? Why am I considered a potential thief by the owners of that department store? Why did they dispatch a security guard specifically to keep an eye on minority males entering the store for signs of wrongdoing. The last time I checked, a criminal can be anyone. There are ruthless male gangsters and wicked female gangsters who make them look like Choir Singers. There are predators of both sexes and all races and sexual orientations in our communities. Danger can come from virtually any source. So why was I seen as a greater danger than anyone else entering the department store on that bright sunny day in mid-August 2008?

I'm a Haitian-American gentleman who's lived in the state of Massachusetts for nearly a decade. I attended high school there and recently graduated from college. I've been a student-athlete, a human rights activist who focused on causes such as Men's Health Issues, Heterosexual and Homosexual Male Victims of Domestic Abuse, Same-Sex Marriage, Gay Parents Rights and Immigrant Rights. I've always believed in living a life of truth. I don't hide the fact that I am bisexual from friends or family members. I respect the men and women of this world, but fear no one. That's what my father and mother taught me.I've been fortunate in this life, I think. Growing up, I attended an all-male Roman Catholic School with a legendary reputation for excellence. It wasn't cheap but my father worked hard to take care of his family. He's the director of an airline company. My mother is a schoolteacher and small business owner. I attended a private college in the Boston area, surrounded by the sons and daughters of wealthy white families. And I proved myself both academically and socially. Recently, I've published quite a few books. Works of urban fiction focusing on the themes of black male bisexuality, African and Haitian-American relations, minority education, work and family, as well as romance in a turbulent, politically correct and at times anti-male world. Folks seem to like my work.

I'm twenty three years old, an Aquarius and a young man of many accomplishments. But none of that mattered when I entered that department store. I'm still a black man and this is still the United States of America. Because of my skin color and my gender, I'm considered Public Enemy Number One. The State of Massachusetts elected a black man as its Governor only a couple of years ago. In a few months, a black man will be the President of the United States. A team of black men represents America's only hope at the 2008 Summer Olympics in China. A black man nearly became Mayor of Brockton a few months ago. The Mayor of Atlanta is a black woman. An openly gay black man is the Mayor of Cambridge City. There are talented black men and black women working as State Representatives in my state. Yet that's not enough.

It will never be enough. It wasn't enough when, in the summer of 2007, I was stopped by police officers while exiting a video store in Brockton. The video store had been robbed by a slender, red-haired white guy. Witnesses saw him fighting the video store's middle-eastern clerk before fleeing. I was in the back of the video store when it happened. I didn't see a thing, so absorbed was I in a certain movie. The clerk had taken off after the thief and everybody was exiting. I exited along with everybody else. I didn't consider myself a witness since I hadn't seen or heard anything. I was a few streets away from my house when two squad cars pulled up behind me. They asked me to hold my hands up, then grabbed me and searched me. They put me in the back of a squad car. Then they drove me back to the video store while berating me, so certain were they of my guilt. The clerk thankfully cleared my name and the handcuffs were removed. A new squad car came, carrying the young white man who had robbed the store. He was identified as the culprit by the clerk. They took him away.

That's when a car driven by my aunt's friend and carrying my siblings pulled up. Thankfully, they hadn't seen me in handcuffs. I gave the white policeman my name, then I was let go. I got into my aunt's friend's car and we drove off. Don't even get me started on what happened when my mother, grandmother, father and brothers found out. They weren't happy. However, what could we do? The police will continue to harass black people because they think we're all criminals. Nothing can stop them from doing this. Store owners will always think of blacks as potential crooks. Nothing can change that. To this day, I still get the chills thinking about being tied up like an animal in that police squad car. All because I was black. Always Number One in their hearts when they're looking for a criminal. It's always open season on black males. That's what it means to be black in America. Will things change? Maybe someday they will. I hope to God that a change is gonna come. But I don't think I will see it in my lifetime.

Samuelx
Samuelx
2,122 Followers
Please rate this story
The author would appreciate your feedback.
  • COMMENTS
Anonymous
Our Comments Policy is available in the Lit FAQ
Post as:
Anonymous
7 Comments
lorddragonwolflorddragonwolfover 15 years ago
Profiling

I have worked for several major retailers in florida and have to say that I never just wathed one partictular race. Yes police officers do tend to profile, I have been profiled myself as a white male with long hair. I moved from florida to tennessee and was pulled over every other day until i put Tennessee tags on my car. Yes i just loved standing on the side of the road as my car was searched for the drugs they knew where there. So its just not blacks that are profiled even though that seems to be the norm. Yes racism still excists in this world and it probably will always excist as long as we have idiots of every race who will not relize that we all will be better off when it ends.

AnonymousAnonymousover 15 years ago
Dear Samuelx and readers,

This post is going to go back and forth, just so's you know.

Firstly, I hate your erotica stories, Samuel. They are bland, predictable and all boil down to the same rhythm. However, I truly love your non-erotic tales. You have real skill in the sex-free arena. This story is a fine example.

To the poster that used a biker as an example, you're somewhat right. I look like a Sasquatch after a hard night and I still take notice if a big ruffian walks through the door. The difference is that bikers *choose* to look like bikers. On my way out of the birth canal, i don't remember anyone asking me my race of choice.

To the guy who made a point of you leaving the scene of a crime: Did you not read what he wrote? "The clerk had taken off after the thief and everybody was exiting. I exited along with everybody else." How many of those others do you think were stopped and cuffed by a squad car? And another point of someone's strengthens Sam's case. Namely: "...you left yourself open to the testimony of others who didn’t see anything but a black guy leaving the store." It looks like you're saying when others see a black man, the figure he must have done something. Sounds like an unjust profile to me. To be fair, though, I'll agree that Samuel wasn't tied up like an animal. He was simply handcuffed. I'm not saying you weren't treated roughly or unfairly, Sam, but let's not gild any lilies.

Lastly, all violent crimes are hate crimes, in my opinion. If someone, whatever the race or sex, is doing their damnedest to beat you senseless, they pretty much hate you. At least for a while.

Jeebus. Did i really write that much? Sorry.

AnonymousAnonymousover 15 years ago
Anon in Black America

For anyone interested in the actual facts of Jena and not just a story where a white student was knocked out then kicked by 6 black males 3 months after 2 nooses were hung in a tree see http://www.snopes.com/politics/crime/jena6.asp

Snopes has a reputation for the truth so my guess is there will not be a big rush to the site. Could someone explain to me why any multi-racial assault is not a hate crime if a white is beaten but is if a black is beaten. Remember being beaten by someone who hates you hurts more than being beaten by someone who does not hate you (if you believe that I have soem mountain land south of NewOrleans to selll you). I know that a white driving a pickup with 2 nooses hung from the tailgate was charged & convicted of a hate crime. I guess seeing nooses, or the black flag hurts more than being beaten. Ms Obama should charge the citizens of the US with a hate crime for not having a half black candidate for president until now. She said it hurt her living in that 1 million dollar house in Illinois that it had not happened before. Poor lady makes only $347,000 a year for her public relations job. Oh how abused. I would love to see how much money Jessie the Rev, makes a year.

AnonymousAnonymousover 15 years ago
An objective point of view

Objectively? You mean from your point of view.

Your "jena6" explanation was an extremely white way of looking at it. I saw it:

Yes, it was a schoolyard fight. So why the 'attempted murder' charge? Why not let it go, seeing as there was this 'lynching noose' hung on a school tree? Why not, with the history of racial injustice in Louisiana, take this opportunity to rebuke racism and prosecute the people who hung the noose in the first place? But no, the whites in LA had to assert their dominance over the 15 black people in the town. And whites like the poster above will continue to believe that racism doesn't exist, that it never existed.

I mean, how can you tell me it has ended when you've never acknowledged that it existed in the first place?

AnonymousAnonymousover 15 years ago
Perceptions

The only American Ruler you talked to was the, ‘light skinned black security guard.’ Apparently he is not black enough for you, but you could have asked to see a manager, or try to speak to the owner about a policy that is being selectively enforced. You may have found that the manager or even the owner is black. They may not know about the selective enforcement or they may encourage it but until you speak to them you don’t know. It might be the security guard’s perceptions about you that you are up against.

By leaving the scene of a crime without talking to the Police you left yourself open to the testimony of others who didn’t see anything but a black guy leaving the store. You weren’t tied up like an animal you were handcuffed. You weren’t picked up because you were black , but because you left after you decided you weren’t a witness.

Profiling to a certain extent works. If I see a Hell’s Angel walk through the door I’m going to take notice, if a Black Cat, a biker of African Descent walks in I’m going to take notice. I’m not going to be on alert when the skinny kid, white or black pulls up on a moped walks through the door. I’d be stupid not to take notice of a Big Bad Biker, whatever his color. After that initial assessment you have to look at the individual and what they are doing and treat them accordingly.

Your supposition that racism will never change flies in the face of the progress made in the last 50 years. You should examine you own perceptions and the attitude you exude. Your vibe can certainly effect how others react to you. As long as you see America as some monolithic conspiracy you will never be free.

Show More
Share this Story

story TAGS

Similar Stories

Karen's Master Pt. 01 A white wife and mother submits to a black man.in Interracial Love
L'Affaire Frustrated by secretive Ally, Jack lets her make it up to him.in Romance
In Paradise Ch. 01 A Chance meeting.in Interracial Love
Why White Women Love Black Men Black man discovers bossy White woman's strapon.in Interracial Love
Asian Girls For Black Gentlemen Vietnamese woman meets Haitian man at university.in Interracial Love
More Stories