The Autistic Bride

Poem Info
79 words
4.33
2k
0
Poem does not have any tags
Share this Poem

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
vrosej10
vrosej10
31 Followers

'you don't even know what it is you want to own...'
                                             some man in my dream

they stand beside the stairs
she's doll like, blank; his hands, feet too big, limbs too thin
facing each other; her eyes meticulously avoid his face
he takes her hands; she recoils, tries to pull free
'will you marry me?'
she grimaces, '...no random questions please!'
then ruptures the grip, turns her back on him
'this is not your home!'

vrosej10
vrosej10
31 Followers
Please rate this poem
The author would appreciate your feedback.
  • COMMENTS
Anonymous
Our Comments Policy is available in the Lit FAQ
Post as:
Anonymous
5 Comments
buttersbuttersabout 13 years ago
y'know what, v?

this works for me 100% as a flash fiction

as a poem, not so well.

you have absolutely captured and conveyed that glass wall that exists between h.f autistics and people considered 'normal' (whatever 'that' is) - you create tangents, cut-offs ...the unexpected..

Maria2394Maria2394about 13 years ago
it is a bit

disarranged, Not a bad poem, maybe a few more reads and it will dawn on me. I can't not read you :)

vrosej10vrosej10about 13 years agoAuthor
Howdy

To clarify this poem, it was based on a dream where I was the young man in question. The quote at the beginning was spoken by the girls father at what would be the end of the poem.

My son is autistic and I have spent a great deal of time with people with this disability. I was meticulous about making sure she displayed traits appropriate to someone with high functioning autism.

Point taken about it needing to be opened out a bit :).

AngelineAngelineabout 13 years ago
I see this poem as literal

having worked with autistic young people, but it works as an image really well for the poem, too. It conveys their disjunctiveness and love the use of "ruptures" and that last great line.

I'd consider putting some space between natural breaking points because the densely packed language and puncutation kind of gets in the way of the reading--maybe stretch it all out some, you know? I think the dialogue needs to be broken out on separate lines at least. Just a thought but see what you think. :-)

GuiltyPleasureGuiltyPleasureabout 13 years ago
I'm.....

....ambivalent about this. I love the poem but the title throws me, she seems to not necessarily have autistic tendencies, I needed a bit more info.

Dreams make great poetic fodder and this does have a dream-like quality.

Tess + 4 (really liked it - good read)

Share this Poem