Woman

Poem Info
50 words
4.8
1.6k
0
Share this Poem

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

I knew that if I pressed my ear
Hard, against her chest
I would not hear the
Predictable, warm beat
Of a human heart.

Instead, it would clink
Erratically
Against her rib cage
Like the sound of ice
Hitting the edge of a glass
Wielded by an angry drunk.

Please rate this poem
The author would appreciate your feedback.
  • COMMENTS
Anonymous
Our Comments Policy is available in the Lit FAQ
Post as:
Anonymous
7 Comments
todski28todski28over 10 years ago
thanks for this poem

a multitude of interpretations, and evocative,

TsothaTsothaover 10 years ago

I really like the flow of the words in this. The drop from s1,l1 to s1,l2 ("Pressed my ear / Hard,"), from s1,l3 to s1,l4 ("hear the / Predictable,"), and the break at "Erratically" (s2,l2).

I agree with Koba below; your choice of words ("warm beat" / "sound of ice" / "hitting the edge" / "angry drunk") point toward emotional turmoil rather than a heart condition. Nicely done.

JanerochesterJanerochesterover 10 years agoAuthor

Thank you all for your kind words! Also, I love that I now know that the word "enjambment" exists :)

greenmountaineergreenmountaineerover 10 years ago

I don't know what happened to my comment. I swear I posted it this morning. I thought the diction and enjambment were outstanding. Also, skilled use of punctuation added to the dramatic effect for me.

KobaKobaover 10 years ago

This is quite good. Although it certainly could be about someone with a bad heart in the physical sense, I think there is a lot more going on. It seems to be aimed at someone without being specific who so as to apply to many. For some reason I get the sense it was written for an alcoholic mother but I may be reading way too much in. (It also has the feel of Sylvia Plath's "Daddy") But a good poem should allow for many interpretations and this one certainly does.

Show More