By a Thread

Poem Info
217 words
4.83
2.5k
0
Share this Poem

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

By a Thread


In the morning light, our sky is soft and pink, long night washed away
I see the delicate strand of new love, connecting me to you
The warmth of the breeze makes it flutter, like a fragile butterfly
It floats behind me, my companion on every step I take forward

and I smile over and over, while I imagine the cord we're together weaving,
growing stronger day by day

{Promise}


In the noon sunlight, it sparkles along its length, beautiful to see
I wrap it around me and now I'm beautiful, too
The heat of the sun makes it warm, like melted caramel
It stretches and bends, slipping back into shape after every tug

and I laugh over and over,  while I imagine I'm in a web of shining threads,
binding me to your heart

                    {Happy}


But in the dark of night, only a shadow appears,  thread lost to the depths
I lose the feel of it in my hands;  only faith tells me that is still there
The cold makes it brittle, like a branch that snaps under too much ice
I silently hold my breath, as time slips by, jumping at every noise

and I die over and over, while I imagine I hear that sound, the most fearsome,
wrenching sound of all

                                            {Snip}

Please rate this poem
The author would appreciate your feedback.
  • COMMENTS
Anonymous
Our Comments Policy is available in the Lit FAQ
Post as:
Anonymous
5 Comments
WomanAwakenedWomanAwakenedabout 13 years agoAuthor
For SoftSmile

Hello! I am so happy to read your feedback! It's funny, on a site that is 99% devoted to erotica, I am tickled to find that people are reading and appreciating the non-erotic poems I've submitted.

Re: your comment on the "melted caramel": I definitely get your point about melted caramel not snapping back into shape after being tugged on. Here is what I was going for: in the first verse, I wanted the thread (i.e. the connection between me and my lover) to be very fresh, new, delicate and fragile. In the second, representing the time once you are more established and getting to know each other better, I wanted the thread to be more substantial, very sensuous, and I wanted to represent how there is resilience in the relationship even when you have disagreements (i.e. snapping back into shape after every tug). In the 3rd, the thread becomes brittle with the cold and dark, and threatens to snap when conflict arises.

Having said that, the "melted caramel" was the best that I could do to represent what I was trying to say. But I am completely open to suggestions for better imagery!

Feel free to check out the other poetry I've posted... and thanks for reading!!

softsmilesoftsmileabout 13 years ago
Beautiful!

I keep returning to your poem and like theognis, I find your words more lovely with each reading.

Perfect title! I especially love "It stretches and bends and snaps back into shape after every tug"... what a wonderful feeling, when you know your love is strong. But may I add that I found a disconnect with your thought and melted caramel? Though I myself melted a little at your words, melted caramel doesn't "snap back". So I stumbled a bit there. Maybe just me?

I give you 5 stars (because I wish I'd written this one!). I simply love the way you've painted this picture of gossamer hope, feelings many of us have had.

~softsmile

WomanAwakenedWomanAwakenedabout 13 years agoAuthor
Thank you!

Thank you both for your comments! Much appreciated...

Re: the phrase "only faith tells me...", that was a typo. I skipped the word "it" by mistake.

Re: any cliches, I can't argue with that. While I try to avoid them, there are times when the most meaningful phrase happens to be one that has been used before. However, I'm not opposed to re-working the whole piece, tightening some of the phrases without losing the rhythm.

Thank you!

theognistheognisabout 13 years ago
*****

The more I read this poem, the better I like it.

One suggestion:

I lose the feel of it in my hands; only faith tells me that it's still there

Five.

twelveoonetwelveooneabout 13 years ago
Score 5

I love the thought that went behind this structure. The words, I won't comment on most of it, that may be a matter of taste. I'll just point out one set. In dark of night...only a shadow appears; each phrase could be considered a mere description on its own, together it rather shouts cliche. If the thought that went into the structure went into the language...

I would be raving about this.

Share this Poem

Similar poems