Global Warming, Does It Exist?

Story Info
What do you think? Does global warming really exist or not?
3.2k words
3.31
10.9k
0
43
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

This is a Earth Day contest story. Please vote.

*

What do you think? Does global warming really exist or is it just misinformation, scare tactics, and propaganda?

"Happy 41st Earth Day Everyone!"

Now that today is Earth Day, I was just wondering about global warming. With all the conservation and recycling that we all do to save the environment, the two are tied together. There are just as many people who think that global warming exist as there are who think that it doesn't exist. As polarized as hot and cold water and the ice age versus global warming, those who believe that global warming exists are Democrats, the party that cares more about people like me and you, versus the Republicans, the party that cares only about themselves and about big business, who believe that there's no such thing as global warming.

Strange that the fate of our planet should be separated by political parties. When the Democrats take office, they try to reverse the effects of global warming. Then, when the Republicans take office, they reverse everything that the Democrats did. Isn't that a complete waste of their time and our money?

I guess you already know what I think, but what do you think? Where do you stand on this issue? Forget about politics, what's the opinion of the rest of the world's scientific community? Surprisingly for those who believe there is no global warming and not surprising for those who believe there is global warming, those scientists throughout the world not prejudiced by and obligated to American politicians believe there is global warming.

Even still, in this age of profit and greed, is global warming just another scam like was the Cold War of old? Our government made us fear the Russians, when Russia didn't even have a modern day communications system. Every time they showed a high ranking Russian politician's office he had multiple telephones on his desk. He didn't even have that important red telephone. Having the most basic of communications systems, they didn't even have a multiline telephone.

Tell me, does anyone really believe the Warren Commission's findings over the assassination of President Kennedy? Does anyone know who was behind the assassinations of John Kennedy and his brother Robert Kennedy? Does anyone now care? You should because not only are the lies continuing but also the scams have gotten worse than just assassinating a President of the United States.

More recently, with our government's contention that Iraq had weapons of mass destruction, as our justification to go to war with them, after a while, with all the lies our presidents have told the American public over the years, I have great difficulty believing anything our elected leaders say, when a disgraced President Nixon left Washington after lying about Watergate.

The greatest actor playing the greatest role for eight, long years, without even winning an Oscar, we are still uncovering the lies that our puppet President Ronald Reagan told surrounding the Iran-Contra scandal.

"Read my lips. No new taxes," said George H. W. Bush. Instead of fixing the economy he started the Gulf War, before taxing the shit out of the rest of us.

"I did not have sex with that woman," said Bill Clinton staring into the camera, when lying about having sex with Monica Lewinski. I dunno, maybe it's just me, but I always thought that a blowjob constituted having sex, be it with a man or a woman.

"The war is officially over," said our Commander in Chief, George W. Bush, when standing on of all ships, the USS Abraham Lincoln, about the war in Iraq. Instead of fixing the economy, he bombed Iraq. No accident that he was aboard the USS Abraham Lincoln, was that because we'd more readily believe the lies he so desperately hoped all of us would believe, when he was standing on a ship named after honest Abe?

Sadly and deeply disconcertingly, I find it difficult to believe my own government. Even long before most of us were born, there's still those who believe that our government knew long in advance that the Japanese planned to bomb Pearl Harbor. Most recently, there are those who firmly believe that our government knew about the plot to fly planes into the Twin Towers.

I can see the eggheads from Harvard and MIT sitting around a conference table in a Think Tank in Cambridge, Massachusetts, with advanced quantum mechanics and mathematic formulas computing human casualties, while weighing the advantages against the disadvantages of stopping the terrorists or not. Only, they miscalculated. They didn't know those towers would collapse and so many people, especially police, fire, and EMT's would die that fateful day. How dare they?

Then, there's the Secretary of the Treasury, Henry Paulson, opening the United States treasury vaults to bankrupt banks, insurance companies, and his buddies at Goldman Sachs to bail them out, while the rest of us lost our jobs and our homes. They didn't even properly account for which banks took how much money. Are you kidding me?

"C'mon in. No pushing. There's plenty of money for everyone. Take what you want. Take what you need. Yeah, that's right. Don't forget to take enough to cover those multi-million dollar bonuses that you need to pay at year end to those investment analysts who created and caused this recession."

Meanwhile, as if they were at a Security and Exchange casino gambling not with their own money, but with the futures of the rest of us, the big players of Wall Street became billionaires with derivatives and questionable, if not illegal, investments, at best. Even with our trusted watchdog embroiled in the scandal, the SEC, no one was watching the store. We've been robbed! We've been had!

Sorry, but if a black man stole a loaf of bread to feed his children, he'd get twenty years in jail. Why has none of these people, except for Madoff, gone to jail? Bush and Chaney should be executed for what they did to all of us. Sorry, but I don't believe anything my government tells me and I question everything they say.

Now, our government is picking the pockets of the poorest of the poor, our retired, those on a fixed income and collecting Social Security. With articles printed online telling people not to start collecting Social Security at 62-years-old, but to wait until they are 70-years-old, hoping they'll die and will never collect, the fund is bankrupt they say. There's not enough money to cover those that are working now, they say. Why is that?

I remember when the Republicans controlled the White House and the Senate and during a midnight session, when the rest of us were sleeping, they passed a law and opened the Social Security vault and took our retirement money to pay for the War in Iraq. I guess you didn't know that, huh? I guess they forgot about that, huh?

So, what does our presidents lying to us have to do with Global Warming? What does Wall Street have to do with Global Warming? Everything. It's all a big game to those top 1% of the population who have the money to manipulate popular thought by placing a few ads, stories, songs, books, and movies, along with star studded celebrity endorsements to change public perception, public opinion, and social conscience. Even our most educated and highly revered academicians are duped, especially when there's grant money involved and tied to scientist and professors forming their opinion about global warming.

My assessment is that we, the average Joe and Jane, cannot believe anyone. Unfortunately, it's up to us to find out the truth, so that we can form our own opinion without being led, lied to, confused, and confounded as to what to believe and what to think. If I believe anyone at all, I believe those scientist living on the polar ice cap that say, "The ice is melting."

Is our government lying to us yet, again about global warming? Just by throwing the fact that there may be or not be global warming, just by spinning the global warming scenarios will make Americans spend and waste their money, whether they believe one way or the other. Whatever anyone spends, those for global warming and those against global warming, it all goes into the government's tax coffers. Whether global warming exists or not, it's a win/win for our government. The rest of us just get to pay the bill.

Now that Earth Day is quickly approaching, the one day that we all stop and hold our planet in high regard, with our politicians on both sides of the aisle arguing for and arguing against global warming, what do you think? There are those Washington politicians who passionately believe there is global warming and there are those who vehemently believe there is no such thing as global warming. Just as there is evidence that the ice caps are melting, there's talk that we're coming into another ice age. Who do you believe?

Well, how can we have an ice age and global warming at the same time? It doesn't make any sense. Nonetheless, I'm leaning with those who believe there is global warming. In the way we have destroyed the planet, since humans first stepped on Earth with our huge carbon footprints, millions of cars, trucks, buses, and factories that pollute the air, the soil, and the water, one would have to be an idiot to think that we're not destroying the planet and that we're not responsible for causing global warming.

It seems to me, with so many who believe that global warming exist and with so many who believe that global warming doesn't exist, in yet another financial tug of war, our politicians can make believable arguments either way. Yet, when you remove the politicians with their personal and corporate agendas from the argument, when you just gather up all the egg headed scientists, the consensus of opinion is that there is global warming and unless we act now to reverse it, we're all doomed.

Whether there is global warming or not, I'm just tired of all the bullshit. Why do we elect these people to Congress in the first place? Aren't they suppose to represent us? There's the real problem. The Republicans represent big businesses, the rich people, and the Democrats represent the rest of us, kind of, a little bit, but not really, and definitely not all the time.

"Ask not what your country can do for you, but ask what you can do for your country," said President Kennedy.

Jesus Christ, how true was that gem? We were all too naive and dumb to understand the true meaning of that slogan. Truth be told, we've all done more than enough for our country, be it paying taxes or sacrificing our sons and daughters in money based wars. Now it's time our country did something for us. It's time our country stops starting wars, fix the economy, and cough all of us up some jobs, while making plans to take care of us in retirement. The rest of this stuff is all just bullshit to get more of our money that we don't have and no longer can afford to give.

"I don't have to tell you things are bad. Everyone knows things are bad. It's a depression. Everybody's out of work or scared of losing their job. The dollar buys a nickel's worth, banks are going bust, shopkeepers keep a gun under their counter. Punks are running wild in the street and there's nobody anywhere who seems to know what to do, and there's no end to it. We know the air is unfit to breathe and our food is unfit to eat, and we sit watching our TV's while some local newscaster tells us that today we had fifteen more homicides and sixty-three violent crimes, as if that's the way it's supposed to be. We know things are bad - worse than bad. They're crazy. It's like everything everywhere is going crazy, so we don't go out anymore. We sit in the house, and slowly the world we are living in is getting smaller, and all we say is, 'Please, at least leave us alone in our living room. Let me have my toaster and my TV and my steel-belted radials and I won't say anything. Just leave us alone.' Well, I'm not gonna leave you alone. I want you to get mad! I don't want you to protest. I don't want you to riot - I don't want you to write to your congressman because I wouldn't know what to tell you to write. I don't know what to do about the depression and the inflation and the Russians and the crime in the street. All I know is that first you've got to get mad. You've got to say, 'I'm a HUMAN BEING, God damn it! My life has VALUE!' So I want you to do is to get up now. I want all of you to get up out of your chairs. I want you to get up right now and go to the window. Open it, and stick your head your and yell, 'I'M AS MAD AS HELL, AND I'M NOT GOING TO TAKE THIS ANYMORE!' I want you to get up right now, sit up, go to your windows, open them and stick your head your and yell - 'I'm as mad as hell and I'm not going to take this anymore!' Things have got to change. But first, you've gotta get mad!... You've got to say, I'm as mad as hell and I'm not going to take this anymore!' Then we'll figure out what to do about the depression and the inflation and the oil crisis. But first get up out of your chairs, open the window, stick your head your and yell, and say, it: 'I'M AS MAD AS HELL, AND I'M NOT GOING TO TAKE THIS ANYMORE!', said Peter Finch playing Howard Beale in Network.

That movie was made back in 1976, thirty-five years ago. You thought it was just a movie, didn't you? You thought it was just entertainment, didn't you? You weren't as mad as Hell then, as you are now. You were just starting to live the good life, the life your parents lived, when working for one company for thirty years, collecting a pension, and retiring to Florida. Now, look at you, out of a job, evicted from your home, out of money, and out of hope. ARE YOU FUCKING MAD NOW? If not, then you should be.

No matter if you believe there is global warming or don't believe there is global warming, when you wade through all the millions of words written about global warming, it's all about money, not for you, but for 'them'. I'm tired of these so call public servants, such an oxymoronic phrase, public servant my ass. How can they possibly serve the public by pushing their own personal agendas and leave public office richer than when they entered.

With all the big business interests, the lobbyists lobbying, the greed, the power, the influence, and the corruption that happens in Washington and everywhere else in America, why should the average Joe or Jane believe what any politician whether Republican or Democrat says? There is an enormous amount of money to be made on Wall Street, on the pretense of all of us doing the right thing to reverse the effects of global warming. For sure, global warming is a big business. With the average American recycling recyclables, conserving energy, walking with a smaller carbon footprint, trading in their big, gas guzzling cars to buy smaller fuel efficient ones to, supposedly, help save the planet from devastation, destruction and all things living from extinction, just answer me this one simple question. I really need to know.

Does global warming really exist or is it just another scheme for our politicians and the big businesses that they represent to get rich off the backs of all of us? With both sides making good arguments, those who are for and those who are against global warming, it's difficult to know if global warming exist or if it doesn't. I can't help but wonder if global warming and everything else that personally affect our lives isn't created by a bunch of really rich, really smart men and women locked away in private rooms in a Think Tank in Cambridge, Massachusetts. The truth is we may not know the truth, until it's too late. The truth is the average person doesn't care if there's global warming or not, as they are too busy working and too tired to care.

What do you think? What do you believe? Which side are you siding with and against? Do you believe there really is global warming or are you of the opinion that there is no global warming and that the Earth is going through a warming cycle before it goes through a cooling cycle?

There is as much evidence that the Earth is getting warmer, as that the Earth is getting cooler. Yet, then they show all those videos of the melting ice cap, glaciers, and icebergs. There are as many scientist who can name fauna and flora that have gone extinct, as there are scientists that can name new fauna and flora that they recently discovered. And what about those polar bears that we see trapped on a floating piece of ice without food and that are now too far away from shore to swim for safety or is that bullshit, too?

Who can we believe? Who can we trust? Does anyone have our best interest at heart?

Maybe we all should just sit back and do nothing. With the balance of nature and the strong will survive, if a plant or an animal goes extinct, maybe, beyond our understanding, it was meant to do that. Perhaps humans shouldn't be part of that equation. Yet, we are part of that equation in the way that we polluted the air, fouled the water, and poisoned the soil. We've already skewed nature by our unnatural interference. What are your thoughts?

Only, regarding Earth Day and, more specifically, global warming, I'd really like to know, if there is such a phenomena of global warming. What does our government know about global warming that they aren't telling us? Or is that classified information that we won't have available to us for 20 years, when we'd have to use the Freedom of Information Act to retrieve it and read it, after it's too late to reverse the mess they've created?

When did they know it? What are they not telling us? Who knew what, when, and where? 'Fess up, I'm tired of all the lies, mumbo jumbo, and half truths. We all want the truth. We don't want someone spinning lies to make it sound as if they are telling us the truth. Is there global warming or not? And if there is global warming, what can we do, if anything, about it?

*

Please don't forget to vote, make a comment, and/or add me and this story to your favorite lists. Thank you for reading my story.

Please rate this story
The author would appreciate your feedback.
  • COMMENTS
43 Comments
TonyKiwiTonyKiwiover 7 years ago
OK

I agree with climate change, the facts are obvious but the why, is not. The El Nino southern oscillation has enormous effects on the weather and temperatures and the condition has been strongest when the global temperatures have risen the highest. Now that El Nino is fading and La Nina is taking over, the south ocean will cool. Lets see how world temperatures are effected by this and then we will see who is right and wrong. I would be more concerned about the pollution and poisonous chemicals we are putting into the air and waterways, cleaning up our industries and farming practices will always help our health. TK

sublockedsublockedalmost 12 years ago
Follow the money.

Al Gore is now a very, very wealthy man. And so is the CEO of Exxon.

The truth lies some place in between.

Johnny1MJohnny1Mover 12 years ago
Water vapor is not only a greenhouse gas, it's the greenhouse gas.

In all the models they use to predict global warming they neglect water vapor. That's because they don't know how to model it. Clouds have a cooling effect while the water vapor itself provides a warming effect. And yet both sides of the debate agree that water vapor provides somewhere between 70% and 95% of the greenhouse effect. You can guess which side uses the 70% figure and which uses the 95% figure. Of the carbon dioxide in the atmosphere, man only puts about 5% there, the rest comes from the oceans, volcanoes, etc. One thing should be clear just from the above statements. That is if there is no agreed on figures on water vapors contribution, how can there be any thing concrete about CO2's effect? Seriously, all the man made global warming people are doing is guessing. They like the idea of man caused CO2 global warming because, if true, it would allow them to tax energy in an unprecedented way. There would be huge amounts of money flowing into the government and of course it would be used for many projects having nothing to do with the environment. Heck, Australia has passed a carbon tax, and yet it's abundantly clear that with it's insignificant population and consequent small energy use, what ever they do will have no effect on the planet. It's simply a ploy to have more revenue to play with.

claydoddclaydoddalmost 13 years ago
Yes, but...

The earth has undergone global warming throughout its existence. Is man a causitive factor now? Who knows. Some scientists who say man is causing global warming were proven to be lying to get grants.

As for the Kennedy conspiracy, give it up. People just want to believe that Kennedy was so good that only a conspiracy could account for his death. Not so. He was shot by a man who was a decent marksman with a rifle not using "magic bullets". If you believe otherwise you probably got your "facts" from Oliver Stone.

The was in Iraq was brought on by Sadam Hussein. You are too young to remember the Kennedy assassination, but you surely saw Sadam Hussein threaten legal weapons inspectors time after time. He wanted Iran to THINK he had weapons of mass destruction so the Iran would not attack him in his weakened condition. Too bad for him that the USA believed him. Further, a relative who saw action in Iraq said there were signs of such weapons, but they were not reported.

I agee with you that we have really been screwed over by the banks and the government when it comes to money. But that was Obama's government, my dear.

Your treatment of Bush and Cheney is really sophomoric.

But except to the above, I like you. You are a sexy woman. I love sexy women. You look very pretty, and your brain is very lusty. Keep writing those hot stories.

mark181mark181almost 13 years ago
Do you believe in Global Warming?

This is in fact a ridiculous question. Because "Global Warming" or climate change is not like a religion where you either believe or don't believe in the existence of a omnipresent being...

It is a series of provable scientific questions that ultimately lead to a predicted outcome.

Is CO2 a gas that restricts the flow of heat from the earth's atmosphere and space? YES (as are other gasses such as Methane)

Is there a demonstrable increase in greenhouse gasses in the atmosphere? YES (from 200 odd ppm to almost 400ppm)

How did this gas get into the atmosphere (and into the oceans)?. Doh! We humans have been burning oil & coal for about 100 years. Our current rate is 90,000,000 barrels PER DAY and 7,500,000 tonnes of coal PER YEAR.

If you listen to scientists, there is no doubt, no argument. The earth's chemistry is changing because of our actions. There are plenty of indicators from melting ice caps to droughts, hurricanes etc.

If you prefer to believe people who profit from continued consumption. There is doubt, there are other causes, it's not humans it's the sun or volcano's or the current orbital plane of the earth. or whatever other thing they can think of to create doubt in the minds of the general public.

So, for me, I tend to believe the scientists, I would prefer to act and pay higher costs for energy in order to wean ourselves off coal & oil. Not for me nor my kids but for my grand kids.

Next time you're outside look up! The majority of the atmosphere that the planet needs to sustain life is within 11km. About 10 minutes by car. It's pretty thin don't you think? Should we not give the earth the benefit of doubt?

Cheers

Mark181

Show More
Share this Story

Similar Stories

What If There Is No Global Warming? What if my government lied to me and all of us...again?in Reviews & Essays
Collecting Bottles, Cans & Friends Homeless woman prostitutes herself to survive by recycling.in Novels and Novellas
George Goes Green For Earth Day George falls in love and learns a life lesson in going green.in Humor & Satire
Save The Earth. The End Is Near. Earth Day message to help turns to doom and gloom.in Humor & Satire
Earth Day, Sioux Indian Style Ch. 01 Earth Day celebration takes Freddie by sexual Surprise.in Non-Erotic
More Stories