"Ruby My Dear" Take 3

Poem Info
47 words
4.8
2.5k
0
5
Share this Poem

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
fridayam
fridayam
50 Followers

Monk tries the keys
one by one from
the big bunch
on his fingers,
each one jangling with
possibilities:
what if I went there?
It started so simple but
the trying is what is
torture and fun because
there are so many chords
between those written.

fridayam
fridayam
50 Followers
Please rate this poem
The author would appreciate your feedback.
  • COMMENTS
5 Comments
Maria2394Maria2394over 10 years ago
:)

"jangling with possibilities" is a wonderful line!

Esperanza_HidalgoEsperanza_Hidalgoabout 13 years ago
the poem leaves

white space for your mind to fill in, so I think it needs nothing else. Enjoyment of minimalist with just enough stuff assists--IMHO. I also needed Angeline's comment to understand, but disagree that more is needed.

twelveoonetwelveooneabout 13 years ago
*

midway between the two previous commentators, I understood and liked the last three lines.

100

UnderYourSpellUnderYourSpellabout 13 years ago
~

Until I read Angeline's comment I had no idea what this was about, which is a shame because understanding made all the difference to my enjoyment

AngelineAngelineabout 13 years ago
I think you understand Monk--

how he was swinging before he even hit a key. I think folks who aren't into music, and jazz especially, don't recognize that space is as much a part of the music as sound is. That is a great thing to convey in a poem about jazz, imo, and Monk is one of the best examples of one who employs that brilliantly.

I might like to see more that would personalize Monk as Monk for me though: the sunglasses and hats that are at odds with the neat suit, and that wacky dancing he'd do at the oddest intervals where his steps are always slightly off the beat. xo :-)

PS If you've never seen the short film A Great Day in Harlem, you should check it out. There's some interesting (and funny) stuff about Monk in it.