The Arrangement Ch. 06

Story Info
Things heat up in the kitchen...Clay is back for trouble.
9.1k words
4.83
40.1k
43

Part 6 of the 12 part series

Updated 09/22/2022
Created 09/25/2011
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
Tara Cox
Tara Cox
2,502 Followers

Daniel pounded the bag like those demons from the fires of hell he had tried to outrun. His body needed to release the frustrations and doubts that his mind refused to admit.

The past four days had been fucking amazing. After his little fight with Samuel on Monday and his surprising afternoon romp in bed with his wife, that word still stuck in his throat sometimes, all should be right with the world. Except...

"Give the damned thing a break man. What has it ever done to you?" asked the voice of his conscious and best friend.

Daniel stepped back from pounding the leather surface of the punching bag. Walking to the side of the gym, he picked up his towel and wiped sweat from his brow.

"Want to talk about it?"

"Gees, man, is that all you and that witch you married to ever do? Talk about us and our lives?" Daniel accused as he lifted the bottle of water and downed most of it in a single gulp. If only he could quench other thirsts as easily. But even after four days of the most spectacular sex of his life, he still could not let it go.

"I keep telling you, she's a white witch," Samuel said as he wiped his own forehead. "And she doesn't mean any harm, man."

Daniel sighed, "Is nothing sacred with that woman?"

Samuel laughed, "Not much, buddy. And we just want to help. Be there for you both."

Daniel shook his head at his friends words.

"Is it what we talked about the other day? I mean it's going to take some time and patience."

Daniel laughed this time. "Not as much as you think, old man."

Samuel arched his brow and waited as they picked up their gym bags and headed out out the door and across the parking lot.

Daniel toyed with things in his mind. True enough, Samuel and Simone had been his friends for almost fifteen years. They were among the few people, who knew the dirty details of his first marriage. Simone more even than his best friend. But somehow this felt different. Raw.

But the truth was if not for his conversation with Samuel on Monday, he might still be cooling his heels and stewing in his own insecurities instead of enjoying his wife's charms. Well, most of the time anyway.

"Things are good. I mean really good. Really," he finally said in a low voice.

Samuel wrinkled his forehead, "Then I'd hate to see that poor dead cow if they weren't."

"No, I mean the sex is great. More than great."

Samuel smiled, "For the rest of us too, thanks for the short days. But what's the problem?"

Daniel leaned against his Explorer. "She's still sleeping in the nursery with Britney and Ashley," he almost whispered.

Daniel just shook his head at the chuckle from his friend. "You have a really bad sense of humor, my friend. Unless you're looking to replace that bag, I'd recommend you stop laughing."

His friend rubbed the side of his head and smiled. "No, thanks. I'm still having headaches from the other day."

Daniel shook his head as he opened the back door and threw his bag onto the floor board.

"Have you tried talking to her about it? Asking her."

Daniel slammed the car door. "Fuck, man, you don't invite your wife to sleep in your bed."

"Maybe," Samuel paused, a knowing grin cut across his dark face. "But then again most marriages aren't arranged sight unseen on the Internet by meddling friends and mothers either."

Daniel fought the urge to knock that smile from his friend's face. But he grudgingly acknowledged that what he said made sense.

"I'm getting tired of asking this fucking question, but now what, smart ass?"

"Find a delicate way to bring the subject up with the missus. I don't know. Maybe ask how the babies are sleeping. See if perhaps she is worried about them. Hell, Jess has been begging and pleading for her own room so damned long. Why don't we all paint the basement for the kid? You could use the excuse that she needs the bed for her new room, maybe?"

Daniel frowned in thought. Samuel did have a point. Jess had been asking him to do just that for over two years. She hated pink and Barbie's almost as much as she disliked being forced to share her space with her younger sister. It had been another of Rachel's little points about why he should quit the Navy and go to work for the Dodd's. So they could afford a bigger house and give all the girls their own rooms.

"How about you bring the truck and meet me at the bus stop then? We can take the girls and make a quick run to the hardware store for drywall and some paint before dinner. Get started first thing tomorrow," he smiled.

"Sure you don't want to head there now," his friend teased.

Daniel laughed, "Hell, no. You ain't the only one whose sexy wife is waiting at home for a nooner."

Samuel slapped him on the back. "That's the way to think, my friend. See you after a bit of...sky rockets in flight...after noon delight," his deep baritone attempted a falsetto. The two parted laughing, smiling and humming the old hit.

***

Jill had just set the bowls of diced ham, cheese, carrots and cherrios in front of Brit and Ash when the door bell rung. Leaving the girls securely fastened in their high chairs she turned towards the living room and the front door. Singing out, "I'm coming."

When she opened the door, she was expecting to find Simone, Trisha or one of the other wives. But instead a tall and stocky blond man filled the door way. She was not certain what it was but something about the man threw her, made her decidedly uncomfortable. Her arms spread between the doorway, her body blocking his view of the house beyond.

"Yes, may I help you?" she asked the stranger.

The hand held out his hand, "I'm sorry. I forgot we didn't meet at your wedding reception. You were holed up inside with Simone I think." The man smiled, but it only sent a shiver down her spine. Something about it was anything but genuine. "I'm Clay. Clay Dodd. I was in your husband's unit a couple years back."

Jill relaxed her stance a bit. She tried to quiet the irrational voices in her mind. If this man served under Daniel then he must be all right. Right? But somehow the sentiment did not translate from her logical brain to the knots in her gut that screamed for her to beware.

"Mister Dodd, I'm afraid Daniel isn't in right now, but we expect him shortly," she said stiffly.

"Mind if I wait inside," he smiled.

Jill wanted to scream, yes, yes I mind. But without some logical reason she could not afford to be rude to one of Daniel's men. Things had been going so well for them this week. Well, almost anyway, she thought.

"I suppose it will be fine. I was just feeding the little ones."

"I don't mind. I haven't seen my girls in a long time until the other night," he added another of those smiles that Jill supposed would charm most women.

She stepped back to allow the man entry. A shiver ran down her spine as he brushed a little too close against her. His smile broadened.

Jill closed the door and turned towards the kitchen. "I really need to check on the girls. Have a seat in here. I'm sure Daniel won't be long," she knew she was stammering but there was little she could do to control this irrational reaction to the man.

"If it's O.K., I'd like to hang out with you and the twins in the kitchen. Like I said, I haven't seen much of my girls since..." his words hung in the air. "Rachel was a dear friend. And I was quite fond of the little angels before...Well, before their mother's untimely death."

Jill nodded. The man's affection for the toddlers should have allayed some of her concerns but for some reason it did not.

Walking into the kitchen, she smiled at the mess about her. Britney and Ashley had managed in only the couple of moments she had been gone to throw as much of their food on the floor as they had eaten. Maybe even more. Jill knew that playing with their food was as important at this age as eating it. Picking up the little pieces allowed them to develop their fine motor and hand-eye coordination. So after four boys, she really did not mind the mess.

The man was another matter as he obviously looked around the small kitchen. "They have grown so much. I remember when Rachel was pregnant with them. She always complained about how active they were. Their kicking kept her up half the night."

Jill tried to focus, gain whatever information she could about her mysterious predecessor. But she could not seem to fight off this feeling. It was one that she had felt only twice before. She hoped with all her heart that this did not end as badly those other times.

"You said you were friends with Rachel?" she probed as she grabbed a dishcloth from the kitchen sink. She began to clean Britney's hand as she snuck a quick glance at the clock on the wall. She just hoped like hell that Daniel would be back early as he had this past week. If he tarried the way that he had before...Well, it simply did not bear thinking about.

That smile was back again. It reminded Jill of another man's, the tiny hairs on her arms stood on end once more.

"Yes," he boasted. "Our fathers run in the same business circles in New York and Washington. Although we had never met until I joined Daniel's team, we shared many of the same friends."

Jill nodded as she finished washing Britney's hands and face. Removing the soiled bib, she turned her efforts to Ashley. The men came to stand right behind her, once again brushing against her until she moved away.

"It was refreshing having someone more..." He bent to pick up Britney as Jill fought back the desire to push him away from her charge. "Someone more worldly in these god forsaken backwaters."

Jill frowned at his words. "I don't understand, Mister Dodd. If you don't like this place and no longer serve under Daniel, why would you say?"

"Unfinished business," he replied with a smile that made Jill's blood freeze and her heart skip several beats. She wanted to vomit. She wanted to grab the girls, run and hide.

Jill willed herself to breath through the fear. Her mind kicked into the cognitive behavioral therapy that she had undergone after. After the other. It was just fear. Her mind was playing tricks on her. Her body was responding with the irrational fight or flight syndrome.

Jill chose fight. She picked Ashley up and reached out for Britney. The man brushed his hand against the side of her breast in the exchange. She immediately recoiled at his touch.

"Sorry," he mumbled with that snake oil smile. Jill ignored his comment. "I don't know what is keeping Daniel. He has been getting home earlier this week."

"Oh yes, the boys preparing for a deployment. Making sure the little ladies on the home front have something to think about while they're gone. Tide them over."

If she had been uncomfortable before, the man's brazen words made her more so. Her cheeks flushed scarlet. Perhaps she was just over-reacting. This was America. Perhaps her years of British reserve had just tainted her views of polite conversation.

"Rachel always hated these times," he crooned.

The fact that this man knew something so intimate about Daniel's first wife sent the alarm bells clanging even louder in her head.

"I can imagine. It is never easy knowing what is ahead. The uncertainty that the people you love face. The danger. I'm sure she would be very concerned for her husband."

His laugh at her words reminded Jill of the villain in some bad nineteen-fifties horror movie. "Oh that was not what worried the Ice Princess. She could not care less about what happened over there. It was her wifely duties before that she hated."

The man stared at her. His gaze travelled over her curves. For the first time, Jill felt exposed in the long sun dress. She was aware of the way its halter top hugged and lifted her full breasts. And when the man's gaze lingered there, she wished she had chosen something else. Something that had a bra with it for certain. But she had not dressed for uninvited company. She had dressed for him. Her husband.

"I bet that isn't a problem for you," he winked. "Heard that you really heated up that damned tradition." He took a step closer to her and Jill tightened her grip on the babies drawing them from where they rested on her hip closer to her heart. Offering her a bit of protection from his bold stares at her cleavage.

"Just remember, if you get lonesome while the 'hero' is away, I'm always around."

If Jill's hands had not been filled with the babies she might have well slapped his arrogant face. But as it was she simply made her excuses.

"Yes, well, it is time for the babies to get their afternoon nap. I don't know what is keeping Daniel. But I'll let him know you stopped by." Her head tilted towards the door, "Let me see you out."

The man chuckled. "Maybe I was wrong. Another Ice Princess. Poor Commander."

Jill moved towards the door with both girls in her arms and was thankful to run into the broad chest of her husband. For a moment it felt as if she could actually breath again. Until she saw the hard, cold expression on his face.

"Dodd," he said just the single word.

The man smiled. "Hello, Commander. I just thought I would stop by for a bit. Meet your new wife properly. I did not get the chance to stick around the reception you remember," the men held one another's stares as the tensions increased.

Looking at Jill, he continued. "Have to say she is not what I expected. Nothing like Rachel in fact."

Jill blushed at his words, a vicious reminder of other's words. She was thankful when Daniel stepped forward and took Britney from her arms, draping his other arm about her shoulder.

"Yes, well, it's time for the girls' nap. So I'm afraid, I'll have to cut this visit short, buddy," Jill could hear the chill in her husband's voice at that last word.

"Well, there is one more thing actually. I just wanted to stop by and let you know that my father's offer still stands. In fact, I could probably get him to add another ten grand or so," he smiled at Jill once more. "A wedding present, of sorts."

"The answer is still no."

"Come on, man. At least say you'll think about it. I know that the Navy isn't paying you peanuts but our offer is almost triple what you make now. I'm sure that the new wife wouldn't mind a nice diamond wedding ring or a new car. You got to treat'em right to keep'em."

It was Jill that stepped forward this time. "Actually, Mister Dodd, I support my husband's decision one-hundred percent. This world needs more honorable men like him and his team. I would think that you of all people would understand that," she smiled.

The man shook his head, "Honor does not pay the bills or provide those girls with the best private education available," he said as he reached out to tweak Ashley's nose. The baby screamed immediately.

"My daughters, my family is none of your concern, Dodd," Jill felt Daniel's arm tighten about her shoulders as he spoke.

"Do you think Rachel would see it that way? You've virtually kicked her family out of their lives. Heather says you still have not said a word to them about your new marriage. And now you want to kick Rachel's only real friend around here out too. What you got to hide, my friend?"

Jill watched the muscles flex in Daniel's jaw. She could feel the pent up energy course through him. She slipped her free arm about his waist to offer what measly comfort she might.

"Trust me, buddy. Whatever I have to hide is nothing compared to some people. Excuse me if I don't feel the need to share the intimate details of my life with the woman that tried to take my daughters from me."

Turning to Jill, he handed Britney back to her. He brushed a kiss across his daughters' forehead and a brief one across her lips. "You go ahead and put the girls down for their nap, sweetheart. I'll see Mister Dodd out."

Jill thought about protesting. She wondered exactly how her husband would see the man out. She smiled at the image of his boot to the man's ass. Not that their guest did not deserve it.

As if sensing her concerns, he swatted her bottom and smiled. "Go ahead. This will be quick."

Clay smiled, "I'm sure it will be, Commander."

Jill saw the stares exchanged between the men and decided that a hasty retreat might be a good idea. The babies did not need to see or hear what was about to transpire. And honestly, she did not want to be around for these fireworks either.

***

Daniel watched the sway of his wife's backside beneath the thin knit material. She shushed and shooed the babies as she walked. When she finally disappeared down the hall, he turned his attention to Dodd, only to find the man still staring after his wife's ass with a big grin on his face. It was not what he needed at that moment.

"Stay the fuck away from my wife and kids, Dodd," he growled through gritted teeth.

Dodd just shrugged, "Like I said, I just stopped by to let you know that our offer still stands and to check up on things for Heather."

Daniel moved towards him then, standing inches from his face, "I mean it. My personal life is none of the Thomas's business. So don't think you can come around here when I'm not around, checking up on things for them or any other god damned reason."

"Hey, buddy, the little lady let me in the front door same as Rachel always did. So if you have a problem, maybe it is with your wives, not me," he smiled.

"Jill is not Rachel. And I mean it, stay the fuck away. Or I," he paused.

"Or you'll what? You and Samuel think it matters shit to me what you say now? You think my daddy will fire me over something that little cunt says. It was never anything more than her word against mine anyway."

Clay met his gaze squarely. "Not after you two arranged her little transfer back here so she could take care of her little problem."

Daniel kept his expression neutral, it was something he was trained to do with the enemy. And he suddenly realized that was exactly what Clay Dodd was. The enemy and a very dangerous one at that.

"Oh, that's right I know. I know all about how she killed my kid. And I hold the two of you responsible for it. How would you feel if something happened to yours?"

Turning to look down the hall once more, he added, "Or maybe that new wifey of yours? You might care a bit more than when poor old long-suffering Rachel offed herself? It wasn't like you ever really loved her anyway. But this one? This one is different. She's gotten under your skin. Not the cool, calculating bastard so easily with her."

Dodd shoved past him, "You just remember, Commander, pay back is a bitch. You took what was mine...my kid, my flesh and blood. And I haven't forgotten it."

Opening the front door, he turned, "So is this one a better fuck than the Ice Princess? Does she do more than just lay there like you're doing nothing more than push-ups to an orgasm? She sure is better at taking care of those cute little babies of ours, isn't she?"

He smiled and saluted, "I'll see myself out, Commander. Don't let me ruin your little fun before those other two brats of yours get home." He said as he pulled the door closed behind him.

Daniel stood in the living room clenching and unclenching his fists at his side. They itched to hit something and not the damned punching bag either. When he saw the red Ferrari parked in front of the house, he knew things were not going to be good. Clay Dodd always was trouble and today was no different.

It was not that anything Clay Dodd said was really all that surprising. He had long suspected that Rachel was involved with another man. At least those last couple of years for sure. It made sense too that it would even be someone like Dodd. His casual taunts just confirmed things.

But what bothered Daniel most was the man's tone when he talked about owing him and Samuel. It sent warning bells clanging. The need to protect what was his rode Daniel.

A soft smile touched his lips. The image of his wife stepping up to defend his choices to the man soothed his soul like cool water in the desert. Oh, Jill was most definitely not Rachel. But then again he knew that from the beginning. He had a feeling he was just scratching the surface of his wife's depths.

Tara Cox
Tara Cox
2,502 Followers