The Cage Crinoline

Story Info
Lisa designs metal cage crinoline & uses it on men.
19.4k words
4.37
60.6k
1
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
oggbashan
oggbashan
1,523 Followers

The author asserts the moral right to be identified as the author of this work.

This is a work of fiction. The events described here are imaginary; the settings and characters are fictitious and are not intended to represent specific places or living persons.

This story involves the characters introduced in "The Bridesmaids' Revenge" although it can be read on its own. It follows a couple of years after the stories "Lisa's Adjustable Hoop Petticoat" and "Lisa Trains Thomas"

* * * * *

Introduction

Lisa is the goal-keeper of Silverbridge's Ladies football team "The Silver Vixens". She lives above her own dressmaking business shop and workshop. She is young, fit, tall, but heavily built with large breasts. Thomas lives with her. But .. Thomas has been showing signs recently that he is unhappy with the arrangement and his status as Lisa's "slave". Tonight he is out at a training session with his fellow players of the men's first team "The Glossies". He should be returning about 9pm. Will he, or will he go on elsewhere ...?

* * *

Lisa was on the Net looking through a catalogue of hooped bridal petticoats for sale on a US site. She has considerable experience in their use for dresses she makes and has an income from licence fees on one of her own design. However she wants a particular effect for a dress for a "Victorian" ball and she was gradually realising that normal hooped petticoats wouldn't give the result she wanted.

She was getting increasingly annoyed as she moved from site to site searching for just the "right" one. It looked as if a hooped petticoat won't do. She would have to use a cage crinoline. Although they exist, most are produced in the United States for sale for Civil War re-enactment societies. They are expensive and difficult to ship to the United Kingdom. No-one appears to make them in England or if they do, Lisa can't find the supplier.

Lisa logged off and sat back thinking to herself "Surely they are not that difficult to make? In the nineteenth century there were hundreds of manufacturers until mass production forced the smaller firms out. Who in Silverbridge could make one for her?"

She reached for the local trades directory and flipped through it slowly until she reached "Light Metal Fabricators" - Jones Ltd. That name rang a bell in her mind. Hadn't one of her friends been to Jones Ltd on Work Experience from school? But who? Lisa searched her memory. Was it Sandra? No - she'd gone to Boots. Frances had gone to a Hairdressers in the next town. Jane? Lisa couldn't remember where Jane had gone. It must be Alison who went to Jones Ltd. There was no harm in asking. She picked up the phone and pressed the preset for Alison.

"Hi, it's Lisa. A simple question. Can you remember back to your work experience at school? Did you go to Jones Ltd?"

"Yes I did. You should remember. You complained that it wasn't fair because I went there with so many boys. But most of the workers were women so I was outnumbered." replied Alison. "The women were teasing the boys so I got the best of the training."

"I'm thinking of having a cage-crinoline made. From what you remember of the firm, do you think they could do it?"

"I don't know. There was a lot of strip steel and wire around and I know they did do one-off patterns from time to time. Could be pricey though. Why don't you ask the son, Andy Jones? He's at the football clubhouse most Friday nights." suggested Alison.

"So he is. I'd forgotten he was part of Jones Ltd. He's not our generation so I really think of him as a former Glossies' player. He was a useful part of their back row in the 70s. Do you know what he does at the firm?"

"He's probably the Managing Director now. His father has virtually retired and his elder brother joined the Army. Even if he isn't, he'd be able to give you an idea whether they could make a cage for you. Why do you want one anyway? I thought hoop petticoats were good enough for your dresses?" said Alison.

Lisa explained "It's for the "Victorian Ball" this autumn. I've been commissioned to make a copy of a dress in an old family portrait. I've tried but I can't get the right effect without a cage crinoline which is what the lady would have been wearing then. And one of the customer's American friends told her that dancing with a cage crinoline is MUCH better than hoops. So I've got to find one. It's the cost of the US cages that is putting me off and I'm afraid if I ordered a cage it wouldn't get here undamaged."

"It wouldn't do any harm to ask Andy. He's a good sort. I'd take a few pictures of cages to give him the idea. If you buy him a pint he'd spare you half an hour - but don't leave it too late in the evening. He never drinks more than two pints as he keeps fit to play for the Veterans." said Alison "He'd be more interested if there was a chance of going into production. If cages are that expensive and not made here there might be a small demand he could meet and make a profit. There are Dickensian events and even some people doing US Civil War re-enactments over here."

"Thanks Alison. There are a lot of "ifs" but it's worth asking Andy. I'll be at the clubhouse Friday anyway. I'll see him then. See ya!"

Lisa hunted around for pictures of cage-crinolines in her small library of fashion history, scanned some of the pictures, then printed them. She put them in a soft backed folder to take to the clubhouse on Friday. Then she looked at the time. 9.30. If Thomas was coming straight back he should be here any minute. She went to the kitchenette and put the kettle on. She wanted some coffee. Thomas should have showered at the training ground so he'd be ready for some coffee on his return.

She went back to the computer and played around with some of the crinoline pictures to see if she could get a better idea of the way the cages were put together. When the kettle boiled she made some instant coffee and returned to the screen.

Some time later she realised that Thomas wasn't back. It was getting late. Where was he?

Eventually she stopped waiting and went to bed. She was just conscious of Thomas crawling into bed beside her during the night but she was too sleepy to check the time.

* * *

Next morning Lisa got up, showered, had her breakfast and prepared to go downstairs to work. She looked in at Thomas before she went downstairs. He was still asleep and since he didn't have to be at work until midday she left him, but felt annoyed. Where had he been last night?

* * *

On Friday evening Lisa went with Thomas to the football clubhouse. She looked out for Andy Jones and saw him in his usual corner but his friends hadn't arrived yet. She bought a drink for Thomas, left him with their friends, and took two pints of beer across towards Andy. He recognised her with some surprise. Although they both knew each other as acquaintances they hadn't much in common.

"Hello Lisa" said Andy "You must want something from me since you're advancing so purposefully. Sit down and tell me about it."

"Thanks, Andy" responded Lisa "This pint's for you. I need a few minutes of your time for some advice about metal-working, please."

"Then you've come to the right man. If I don't know I can probably give you the name of someone who does know. But why does Silverbridge's exclusive dressmaker need advice on metal-working? It's not your line. "

Lisa pulled the folder out of her shoulder bag. "I want to find a metal cage crinoline .."

"A what?" Andy spluttered into his beer "Isn't that rather out of date?"

" .. for a replica Victorian dress I'm making." continued Lisa "They are still made in the States for re-enactment events but not made here as far as I can tell. The American ones are expensive and so is the shipping cost. I wanted to know if Jones Ltd could make one and if not whether you knew anyone who could.."

"This is a surprise" said Andy "Did you know that the firm used to make them back in the last century?"

"No I didn't" replied Lisa

"Yes, we did but stopped about 1880 when it became unprofitable. I saw some details in the firm's archives when we celebrated our 150th anniversary."

"Do you think you could make one now?" asked Lisa, spreading out some of the pictures in front of him.

"I don't know without thinking about it and perhaps talking to some of our staff. One thing is certain. We wouldn't make them the same way today. We'd use better materials at least. But ... " Andy paused "It could be very expensive to produce just one."

"More than ..." Lisa whispered the total cost of a US cage and shipping cost in his ear.

"That much!" exclaimed Andy. "Even so, for a one-off it could be close to that figure. Leave your folder with me and I'll call you sometime next week. We might be able to do a deal. My wife wants a new dress for a wedding next month and she'd love one of yours if SHE didn't have to pay for it." Andy winked at her. "Now run along back to your friends and wait to hear from me."

Lisa got up, kissed Andy on the cheek, and returned to her friends.

Jane greeted her. "I'm just going to the "Ladies""

Lisa took the hint. If Jane announced that she was going to the "Ladies" she meant that she wanted to have a private conversation with Lisa. "I'll join you" Lisa said.

When they reached the toilets Lisa asked "What's this about?"

Jane replied "Thomas! Harold had a word with me earlier today. The team are worried about Thomas. He's been drinking hard even in the club house and he's not accepting friendly hints that he ought to ease off. Harold wanted to know whether I knew of any problem between you and Thomas that could account for it. I said I didn't know but Harold and I had both noticed that things appeared to be cooling between you two."

Lisa nodded sadly "I can't work out what's happened to Thomas. He won't talk to me. I've tried to be helpful and to be easy on him but it isn't working. Something's bothering him but even I don't know what."

"Harold said that it might lead to Thomas being dropped from the first team if he doesn't stop drinking soon. He's out of condition and it shows even in training." Jane said "The management are reluctant to drop him because they think it might push Thomas over the edge. The team needs him to be on form until the end of the season because there's no one good enough to replace him. If Thomas fails, the team's results may suffer and that would be a disaster not just for the club, but for the town."

"What can I do?" asked Lisa "I've tried being gentle which isn't like me. I've tried giving him space. I've tried getting him to talk. None of it has worked. I need help and advice before I try anything else. If I get it wrong, like the club's management, I could make Thomas worse."

"Why don't we get together with some of the girls and see if they have any ideas?" suggested Jane. "Between us we have considerable experience in handling men, and some of us may know more about what's happening."

"Where can we meet? We can't all spend hours in the toilets" said Lisa

"Well, how about next Wednesday evening? The Glossies have an friendly away match so we could get together then."

"I would have liked Harold to be there as well" mused Lisa "He could tell us about the other team member's view of Thomas".

"No problem" replied Jane "He's on the injury list with a pulled thigh muscle. He isn't going on Wednesday, neither are many except the team."

"OK We'll make it Wednesday evening at my place. Can you get Harold to come? I don't want Thomas to see me talking to him."

"I'll try, Lisa, but Harold is rather shy. He's OK talking to women one by one but he finds a group of us an ordeal. He'll have to find an excuse for his mother as well. Still, if it's for you I'm sure I can persuade him. Haven't you noticed that he's attracted to you?"

"I had noticed. If I wasn't with Thomas I'd do something about Harold. He's a great guy if only ..."

"I know" replied Jane "If only he'd defy his mother and show some initiative. He's too uptight and "proper". If he'd let himself go .."

"My problem at the moment is Thomas" interrupted Lisa "If he wants to leave me I wish he'd say so and go. If he doesn't, I don't know what's wrong. If Thomas did leave then Harold would be my next target. I'd regret losing Thomas, though. He's been great but not as he is now. Now he's not much use to anyone."

"We'll try to sort that out on Wednesday. 7 o'clock do?"

"Yes, that's OK. I'll lay on some food and drink." replied Lisa "We'd better be getting back or the others will think we're stuck in here."

Jane and Lisa rejoined the others in the bar. During the rest of the evening Lisa noticed that Thomas was drinking at twice the speed of most of his teammates. She saw Jane talking quietly to Harold. When the evening ended she had to assist Thomas up the stairs to the flat and he just managed to undress himself before falling asleep.

As she looked down at Thomas asleep on the bed Lisa thought to herself "Thomas is in real trouble if he carries on like this. I'm going to have to do something even if it means kicking him out on to the street. It has been a fantastic relationship with him as my slave but I think it's nearly over."

She leant over and kissed his forehead then covered him up carefully. Then she went into the kitchen and wept silently.

* * *

On the Saturday the Glossies were playing at home. The Silver Vixens were away. When the Vixens returned Harold rang Jane.

"Jane, Harold here. Thomas's problem is now urgent. He was obviously unfit at the match this afternoon and the other players were carrying him. We only just managed to win because he fluffed two chances to score. If he plays as badly on Wednesday evening I think he'll be dropped from the team. He was substituted after only half an hour and that's never been necessary before. I'll be at Lisa's on Wednesday and I'll try to find out what the management think before then."

"Thanks, Harold" replied Jane. "I'll let Lisa know you're coming. I'll tell her about today's match as well. She'll be furious with him because the club is very important to all of us. I hope I can keep her from doing something to Thomas before we've had a chance to discuss tactics. She can be violent and an injured Thomas might make things worse for him, even if he doesn't need hospital treatment. See you Wednesday."

Jane then rang Lisa and persuaded her not to take any action until after Wednesday evening. Lisa was reluctant but eventually agreed to wait.

* * *

On Tuesday afternoon, Lisa was in the shop's large workroom when she had a call from Andy Jones. She had to listen carefully over the noise of the sewing machines.

"Hello, Lisa. Andy Jones here. I've asked our apprentices to look at the problem of the cage-crinoline. Normally they wouldn't have the time but their instructor has had to go into hospital for a minor operation, so I asked them to treat the crinoline as a project. They've been through the firm's old records and produced a design which they're making up now. They should have something to show you tomorrow afternoon if you can spare the time."

"That's marvellous, Andy. I didn't expect anything so soon. Should I bring a dress to try with the cage or isn't it that far advanced?"

"They should have at least one cage ready, maybe two. The first one is based on your measurements .."

"But they don't know my measurements!" expostulated Lisa.

"Oh yes they do!" replied Andy "I estimated them myself and just to make sure I asked your friend Jane. I was only one centimetre out on your height and spot-on on your waist, hips and waist to floor measurements."

"Does your wife know that you are so skilled at judging women's sizes?" Lisa asked mock-menacingly "Or is it a talent you keep to yourself?"

"She knows. She also knows that she might get a dress from you if the cage crinoline works. That silenced any protest - not that she'd make one anyway. She's happy for me to help you."

"Thank you Andy. I'll be there tomorrow afternoon. What time?"

"About 1.30 should be right. The apprentices will be pleased to see you. They've worked hard and fast on this because it intrigued them - especially the girls. The boys weren't so keen at first but they soon came round when they started measuring the girls. I had to put a supervisor in to make sure things didn't get too out of hand but then they used her as the model! They've had fun with this. I hope it'll be a success."

"Even if it isn't I'll be really grateful to you and them for tackling the problem so quickly. Thanks a lot. See you tomorrow."

Lisa put the phone down and did a little dance for joy, pretending that she was wearing a cage crinoline. Perhaps she would have a real one tomorrow. The dressmakers looked at her. When she left to go into the shop, one said "Lisa looks happier than she's been for days. What's up?" But no one knew.

* * *

On Wednesday afternoon Lisa drove to Jones Ltd in her MPV. She had half a dozen Victorian style dresses on hangers, several large petticoats and two hooped petticoats. She wanted to compare the difference between the effect of hooped petticoats and the cage crinoline. As she pulled into the car park Andy was waiting for her. She rolled down the MPV's window.

"Hello, Lisa" said Andy "If you drive round to the left you can get close to the apprentices' building. One of them is waiting for you and will help you unload. I'll be there in a minute."

"Thanks, Andy. See you there."

She drove round the corner and saw a female apprentice waving at her. She pulled up and the girl and two male apprentices unloaded the dresses and petticoats into a large lecture room where Lisa was met by another boy and two girls. All the apprentices were wearing jeans and t-shirts Part of the room was curtained off. The supervisor came forward. She was wearing a blue overall dress. "Hello, Lisa. I'm Mrs Campbell. This is Fay" she said pointing to the apprentice who'd met Lisa "This is Matthew and Roger .." (the two male apprentices) "and the others are Claudia, Denise and Jason. When Mr Jones arrives we are ready to show what we've managed to do so far."

Just then Mr Jones arrived.

"Hello, Mrs Campbell. Are they ready to unveil their work?"

"Yes, Mr Jones. Fay will do the honours. Fay?"

Fay stepped forward. Claudia and Denise slipped behind the curtain.

"Lisa ... Is it OK to call you Lisa?" Lisa nodded "We have looked at the old records and by the end of Monday the six of us had worked out and drawn up a way of doing it that uses the old designs with new ideas and materials. It took most of yesterday to build the prototype and then this morning we were able to build three more .."

"Three more!" exclaimed Lisa "That's fast work!"

"We thought we'd get a better idea of the possibilities by working directly with the material, so each one is slightly different. We'll show you the prototype first."

Claudia and Denise wheeled out a trolley with the cage-crinoline on a makeshift wooden stand. The light sparkled brilliantly from the strips of polished stainless steel. The cage crinoline was of bell design with seven hoops parallel to the ground linked by vertical strips on the inside. The vertical strips were riveted to the hoops and ended at a 10 cm wide canvas belt which was fastened with two buckles. It was huge. The diameter was about 2 metres and the circumference was at least 6 metres. Lisa did a quick mental sum. If the diameter was 2 metres, circumference would be about 6.30 metres. The largest dress she had brought would just about fit.

"The shape and the design look just right." said Lisa "But it's huge and .."

Claudia spoke quickly "We agreed to design a really big one because the problems, if any, would be more obvious. If we could hold the shape of a dress with one this big, we shouldn't have any problems with smaller ones."

oggbashan
oggbashan
1,523 Followers