The Poet as a Young Girl

Poem Info
138 words
4
2.5k
0
Share this Poem

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

He played with her each day
A game of math and meter
To teach her first grade numbers.

"1 6 8 9 7," she said
The number on his forearm
And tickled him to say
His tattoo poem again
With vocal tones that smiled
As sad as violins
She heard in bed at night.

On other days they'd do some other digits
Up or down, back and forth again
With added tricks and poems for her,
Subtractions in his mind,

And when she said them as she should,
Jacob laughed so hard to cry
A tear he'd try to hide from her.

In later years, they often played
With memories, some Manischewitz
Wine on Sunday "yes, please, dear,"
Survival, meaning, and hope for her,

And this is what she writes today
From the numbers on his mind.

Please rate this poem
The author would appreciate your feedback.
  • COMMENTS
Anonymous
Our Comments Policy is available in the Lit FAQ
Post as:
Anonymous
3 Comments
SpringBreezesSpringBreezesalmost 10 years ago
extremely effective poem

This gave me shivers--even as I write, some minutes later, the shivers linger in my body. I am not capable of analyzing a poem with the clarity you bring to a critique, but to me, the effect on the reader is the greatest testament to poetic excellence.

I have been reading through several of your poems today, often giving them 5 stars. My shivers compelled me to convey their comment.

annaswirlsannaswirlsalmost 15 years ago
potential

Actually, I think the understated history of the numbers is just right, enough that you get the meaning of the numbers without making it a poem about the holocaust (not that there is a problem with holocaust poems, but that is not the intention of this poem, from what I can tell.) It is such a heavy topic, any more mention of it would outweigh the delicacy of the theme of this poem-- the taking the scars and marks live leaves on us and moving forward, remembering the past but pushing the next generations ahead, not getting stuck.

I think this poem could stand to be trimmed down, too wordy, in my opinion. A great idea for a poem, I know this poet could take this poem further.

bflagsstbflagsstalmost 15 years ago
best poem today

idea of poem is good, just kinda rough all around. Maybe more jewish symbol would work. "With vocal tones that smiled/As sad as violins/She heard in bed at night." Here the phrasing is most awkward for me. I'd just re-write it, remove the smiled/sad pairing, keep the idea of "in bed at night" and the reminiscience of sad voice. I always read your poems when they're posted, it seems like you're on the verge of knocking out some strong ones if you concentrate on the utility of each line and image.