These Wolves Alone

Story Info
A lonely boy finds there is much more to his life.
997 words
4.07
10.4k
7

Part 1 of the 8 part series

Updated 10/24/2022
Created 07/19/2012
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

I felt the hot sun shining in through the window, hitting my cheek and warming my face. Although I was already hot, it felt good. I opened my eyes and sat up in bed, looking around my room. It is surprising how real everything actually looked, considering this must be a dream. Knock; knock. I flinched at the noise.

"Yeah," I called as the woman who has come to be familiar to me, appeared around my door.

"Hi, Hun, you need to get ready; they're going to be here soon."

"OK, thanks." I replied. She smiled sadly. "Not a problem, Hun." She mumbled something as she walked away, sounding like, "Poor kid."

I sighed and got up to close my door. I turned, facing my room, leaning back against door. I started crying, sliding to the floor. I pulled my legs up underneath my chin, quietly sobbing. Why was this happening? Why am I crying?

I stood up, wiping my face on my sleeve and started looking for a good shirt that didn't have a stain on it. I slipped on a pair of jeans lying on the end of my bed. I grabbed the jacket the social worker had gotten me to meet my adoptive parents.

My parents had died while I was younger and my Uncle raised me. And, as my life usually did, took a turn for the worse, and my uncle died of a massive heart attack just last week.

I sighed and walked out the door and headed downstairs to sit and wait to meet my new parents.

"Now, remember, they have two other kids. You want to be nice. Okay?"

"Yes ma'am." I replied. I mean, it's not her fault. She's just doing her job; I don't want to be rude. She looked out the window and her face lit up.

They were here.

"They're here!" I took a deep breath and put a smile on my face waiting to meet the, more than likely, overly happy couple who wanted to help the poor little orphaned kid.

"Welcome!" She exclaimed, opening the door. "I'm Martha Dewby and this is Devin Garret Long." She said, gesturing first to herself then to me, sitting on the couch, like I would be Martha. I turned around, to look at them instead of out the window, the smile still plastered to my face.

"Hi, I'm Devin." I said as Martha and the couple walked through the living room to sit across from me. I glanced over at Martha who had taken a seat in the armchair off to the side, and she was still smiling.

"Hello, Devin. I'm Maria Finley and this is my Husband, Dorian."

"Cool." Dorian was tall, with dark brown hair, like my own, and had tanned, leathery looking skin. And Maria was shorter than me, had long blond hair, and her skin looked like porcelain. They looked completely opposite sitting together on the couch in front of me.

Silence followed. I watched them and they stared at me questioningly. All the while, Mrs. Martha sat in the chair off to the side, her smile urging, like she wanted to push us into conversation. I could just see her pushing my and the couples heads together, yelling "Talk! About anything! Just talk!" I ended my daydream when Martha broke the silence.

"Does anyone want anything to drink" she asked getting up from her chair, "water, soda, anything?" Her smile looked strained.

"Water for me, thank you," said Dorian, smiling at Martha.

"Me too, thank you." Maria said, not taking her questioning eyes off me.

I decided to answer, "Sprite, thanks, Mrs. Dewby." She walked into the kitchen and turned back looking at me, smiling.

"So, Devin you're turning sixteen right? When is it again?" I looked at Maria.

"One week from tomorrow, November sixth." I said, faking a smile. I wasn't exactly looking forward to my birthday this year. Not like any of my friends or . . . family would be there to celebrate it with me, just growing older, nothing special.

"That's nice." She replied. She looked partially nervous, like I would bite her or something, so much for a happy facade. I heard the door to the kitchen open and I stood up to help her get the glasses situated. After they had theirs, I took mine and sat back down on the couch, gulping down the whole glass. I hadn't had anything to drink since I woke up late and I was parched.

"So, you guys have gotten all acquainted?" said Martha.

"Eh, got a shy kid here." Dorian said, smiling at me. I just stared at him. Well at least I know he doesn't hold back with his thoughts.

"Well, we can see how it works out. Are you ready to go Devin?" Mrs. Dewby said, smiling at me too.

"Yes ma'am." I replied, looking at all their smiling faces. I sat my glass down on the table beside the couch and stood up. I went up to my room to get the bag I had packed the previous night.

Mrs. Dewby had told me only to pack for a week, just in case I didn't like them. Although I had a feeling I wouldn't exactly like anyone I was forced to live with until I was legally an adult.

I came back downstairs, bag in hand. Dorian held the door open and I slipped through it as Maria opened the trunk, I set my bag in and turned back around toward the old house I had lived in most of my life. I'm going to miss this house, I thought. So many memories. . .

Maria got in the front seat and Dorian slipped into the driver side. Mrs. Martha hugged me and I got into the backseat. Maria waved as Dorian drove off. Off to my new life. . . Maybe it will be better than this one. I sat quietly in the backseat.