All Comments on 'Sailing To Survive'

by TexasFarmBoy

Sort by:
  • 72 Comments
Sid0604Sid0604over 9 years ago
A Great Story.

Thank you for such a great story. Easily worth 5 stars.

AnonymousAnonymousover 9 years ago
Wow

Definiately a great and realist story. I couldn't stop reading untill the end.

AnonymousAnonymousover 9 years ago
Loved it

Please write more...

AnonymousAnonymousover 9 years ago
Demons revisitied

A great story. Reminded me of a friend who fought in Vietnam who never got the chance to get rid of his demons. A hopeful and compassionate tale. Good luck with your future efforts.

dinkymacdinkymacover 9 years ago
Great story!!

Thanks for sharing.

AnonymousAnonymousover 9 years ago

great story loved it ,because i am a veteran and to read stories likes this

AnonymousAnonymousover 9 years ago
Should be a 6

Excellent work. Would make a best seller.

arrowglassarrowglassover 9 years ago
Great story...suspense...passion...has it all!

Really enjoyed the telling of this tale! You are a good writer.

AnonymousAnonymousover 9 years ago
brilliant story

a brilliant story well told

James UK

AnonymousAnonymousover 9 years ago
WOW!!!!!

That is the BEST story i have read here in a VERY long time..... Keep up the GREAT work....

SirCarlSirCarlover 9 years ago
Wonderful, wonderful.....

Well done! Excellent work.

AnonymousAnonymousover 9 years ago
excellant writing

I ttook three nights but I read the whole thing.

It was almost like reading Nora Roberts.

Not just sex, but a little of everything. Please keep writing. I'd buy the book!

AnonymousAnonymousover 9 years ago
Good Writing

This story has the beginnings of what could be made into a good movie. Enjoyable storytelling and very good character development. Looking forward to more stories..

WindySwimmingWindySwimmingover 9 years ago
Great Story!

Thoroughly enjoyed this - an entertaining read. As a volunteer editor it was fun to experience such a well written piece with good character development and exciting flow of plot action to denouement. Also as a Navy retiree & Annapolis man, class of '71, it was satisfying to see Stuart get closure on his last SEAL mission plus the expected retribution to his former employer, the corrupt President. Please keep writing. I'm sure others would agree that we want to see more work from you sooner than later. LOL! Well done.

AnonymousAnonymousover 9 years ago
loved it - reminded me of Wilbur Smith or Tom Clancy

Written very well - absolutely couldn't stop reading it until the end

teedeedubteedeedubover 9 years ago
Yes, Outstanding

I like all your stuff but this one is really good. Good character development, great plot and storyline, just a good story. Thanks for sharing......

tomscardstomscardsabout 9 years ago
well done

this is the first story of yours that i have read. don't know how i missed them before. i agree, there should be a separate category for really good ones like this. 5 stars are not enough.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 9 years ago
AWESOME

One of the best stories on the site. Absolutely loved it!

kalonaleighkalonaleighabout 9 years ago
Awesome!!!

This has to be one of the best books I've read so far on Literotica. Fabulous, wonderfully written!!!

AnonymousAnonymousabout 9 years ago
Intriguing!

Another outstanding Texas author. Must be something in the water that makes y'all such good story tellers. Of course it could have something to do with all the herds of cattle and the bulls with them! Thank you, MIke

AnonymousAnonymousabout 9 years ago
Nearly

Nearly a great story. A good proofreader and editor could change a two star rate to a five star nearly perfect story. Learning that "past" and "passed" have such different meanings that change the entire context of a statement would add at least two more stars.

Good story, well crafted.

de Jay

bruce22bruce22about 9 years ago
Excellent Read

The Annony is right about there being many little errors, but it doesn't interfere with the read,certainly does not effect a five star effort. Plenty of character building and good story.

fanfarefanfareabout 9 years ago
confounding the critics

In my opinion, TFB has his own unique writing style and honest voice. I do not know whether or not he uses an editor. I do not care, I like TFB's stories just as they are posted.

If he is using an editor, my preference is that they are NOT muddling up TFB's creation just to please some grimmernastie assholes and speltczeching analmousies.

What is this deep rooted fear that is so prevalent among the worshipers at the tombstone altar of the dead religion of academic english?

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 9 years ago
You got gun stupid on page 9, combat stupid on page 10.

A .30/30 is for hunting white tail deer, out to a range of maybe 200 yards. A Seal would have a 7.62 NATO semi-automatic with sniper scope, and a 5.56mm A4 style assault rifle, both with 30-round clips. The shotgun is OK. The pistols would all be 9mm; no reason to stock a mix of calibers and invite confusion and mistakes. The .50cal is stupid for an individual on the move. Too heavy, bulky, and no advantage till you are taking shots over 1000 meters out. And Walmart does not stock the ammo.

In combat, you try to kill whoever is trying to kill you. Wounding people in legs and disabling vehicles is stupid. And they now know what kind of weapons he has. He should have shot the vehicle with an incendiary round when it first pulled up, taking two or three of the occupants with one shot.

Just one more technical question: How did he mount the sonar transponder on the bottom of the boat without drilling a hole through the hull for the signal cable?

Good plot and drama, but you need some technical advice on weapons and boats.

cubalovercubaloveralmost 9 years ago
Deserves all five stars

I have read some good work here, but nothing of this length and complexity. I hope you publish it for a wider audience.

Sure, I have some quibbles as an editor, but they are minor flaws that don't diminish the story a whit.

Great yarn; well done.

kjohns2001kjohns2001almost 9 years ago
Book

This definitely deserves to be made into a full length book. It has best seller written all over it. It just needs to be expanded, both with more front story to give a better background and reason for what occurs in the story, along with a fleshing out of detail that will enable the story to fill a book. As is it is a wonderful story and should be well worth far more than the five star rating that literotica allows.

acupacupover 8 years ago
Read it a second time...

and it was still good months later.

Ya gotta love the nit pickers. The story was good and MOST of the technical parts were correct. Until we get volunteers or donations for research take them and the ranters with the seriousness they deserve. We love to write and they love to be a pain in the ass prima donna... all you can do is laugh at how important they think they are.

JamesDean56JamesDean56over 8 years ago
A Real Piece of Art

It's always interesting that the most viscous, attacking and pissed off comments usually come from the same person, Anonymous! While this "person" may have a few facts from time to time that are useful, they hardly ever effect the actual story. This story was well written from start to finish. The emotional impact of what Stuart actually went through was brought home so well during the hearing that I actually shed tears. Were there some facts that were out of whack, sure. Was there any grammatical errors or sentence misalignment's, sure. Did they have a significant impact on the story, NO!! I agree that a full length novel could definitely be written around this story and even a pretty good movie to follow. Very nice job! I'm going back now and read all of your stories and look forward to any new ones you come up with. Thank you.

AnonymousAnonymousover 8 years ago
brilliant

I love it. Another ripping good yarn. Sure needs a polish to make it really sparkle but it takes a real talent to have a story this good. Anonymus is obviously someone who is expert (x = unknown quantity & spert= drip under pressure) yes a seal may have had nato calibre weapons but is more likely to have weapons that are accurate and suitable for game and areas hunted .......... like most shooters.

Read it thru in one go. WELL DONE.

AnonymousAnonymousover 8 years ago
Second Time Reading This

It rated 5* both times. WHY? Because there isn't a 6 or higher star rating on here. This is an outstanding story. I wish there were more installments of Stuart and Emily's adventures.

AnonymousAnonymousover 8 years ago
OUTSTANDING!!!

Hooked me from the start. Great character development. Sharp witty banter that leads to the inevitable. Well-intentioned and extremely competent SEALS thrown into the mix just adds to a heady brew. Outstanding!!! I look forward to reading your other stories. Good luck to you and keep the stories coming.

AnonymousAnonymousover 8 years ago
Fantastic Story

With limited time it took me about 3 days to read this the first time, how ever it only took me 2 days to read it the second time. Having gone to Washington University when I lived in St. Louis just made it more interesting. Later in life I spent many days on the Mississippi River fishing and just sailing in my boat. I also spent a lot of time cruising the bayous and swamps in South Louisiana. When you described the entrance of the swamp I could just see it in my mind. Your story brought many fond memories back to my mind. On top of that I worked for the Fed's for many years and I can remember a few years when I wondered whether I would have a job or end up in a Federal prison due to my demands of changing protocol which were deserving of putting some one above me in prison. Eventually I did win out but it was a long and scary period of time, but a 4 Star General, who was a friend saw what was going on and he saved me.

rightbankrightbankabout 8 years ago
an action thriller?

Lots of drama, intrigue, mystery, and a bit of romance.

So much in fact it was close to over the top.

xtchrxtchralmost 8 years ago
Enjoyable And Entertaining!

You did a good job with this story. Like all good stories, I didn't want it to end. The story kept me on the edge and I had to read the next page and the next page. I didn't get much work done till I finished.

Thank you for a truly entertaining story.

gatorhermitgatorhermitover 7 years ago
Very good story

Lots of twists, turns, good guys, bad guys in this one. Even though the story is long, it moves very quickly and has about the right amount of detail.

AnonymousAnonymousover 7 years ago
2nd time to read it!

Lots of great stories on this site & I looked at and re-read this story.

I had to look at the comments, I couldn't remember if I left a comment earlier!

Very well done, very believable, very nicely done.

Please keep writing.

arrowglassarrowglassover 7 years ago
Just read this for the second time and cannot really say it any better than I did in 12/14.

Great story...suspense...passion...has it all!

DragonlightoneDragonlightoneover 7 years ago
Another re-reader

Excellent story with a proper plot and decent characterization. It played really well in my head and left enough room for my own imagination to suspend belief and embellish it. Having said that, I'd rate it anyway for two words: 'geology' and 'cartography'. Back in another life I was the youngest ever Chief Geological Draughtsman for the British Geological Survey at age 32. It brought back happy memories and a chuckle even if it had nothing to do with the actual tale.

RandoniusRandoniusover 7 years ago
Excellent

Gave it 5 stars. However, on the water one uses charts, not maps.

Bo47Bo47over 7 years ago
Why?

Would an x-Seal leave All his weapons in a locker when he was pretty sure bad guys were on his tail? I don't think so. Would there be no sonar/depth finder on a newly renovated work boat on the Mississippi? What ever happened to the marine short wave radio bands for navivation on working river boats, ship to shore, and all the rest? Did cell phones kill all that? I'm pretty sure an awesome chart table full of state of the art navigation systems would be included in any renovation, too, and would have most of the charts and equipment needed for her summer project or space available for it without the kitchen (oops, galley) table being needed. All that being pretty easily overlooked in d-'€^ fine tale. Thanks, Tex, but please, research is a good thang and can be kind a fun.

Chief3BlanketChief3Blanketover 6 years ago
Well

If one views this as a fantasy it isn’t that bad a yarn.

FYHBFYHBover 6 years ago
From OldSarge (Vietnam Era and Grenada Invasion)

Chills ran up and down my spine. Story is very believable. And yes I have seen this story again in real life. I could go on but only hope author finally understands.

AnonymousAnonymousover 6 years ago
You lost me with your plot ending!

The entire story seemed plausible until you tried to implicate the USA president then the plot turned into a fantasy which I hate! I like the stories that I read to have some basis to truth in them. This story based on flashdrive history could only be referring to Obama. Obama never working for the USA State Department prior to his term in office. He was a senator. You should have just made the villain a high USA State Department official. Trying to implicate the USA president Obama in this story will only confuse Trump's supporters (37%). They are ready confused enough so they don't need any more confusion! The author appears to have a vendetta against Obama. Maybe he should be more worried like the rest of us on this planet about Trump causing World War III.

AnonymousAnonymousover 6 years ago
Great Texas Tall Tale of Courage

Loved the story, and a lot of the comments. About the technical "flaws", there are rapid mount sonar rigs (not for long term use), I would have expected the boat to have sonar mounted, but then again. A 30-30 with a scope is perfectly fine for use in dense brush, an AR15, not so much - see the youtube tests. I'll buy the 50 BMG statement, but since the maker wasn't specified, I was thinking Steyr HS50, not a Barrett, it's still a load, but not quite as much of one.

Lone_HawkLone_Hawkabout 6 years ago
Five Stars

I really enjoyed this story and read it straight through. I read all the comments also. It's fiction "anonymous!" I wish people wouldn't get so wrapped up in little details that don't make a damn bit of difference in the story. Now, to go read some more of your stories!

jackh1962jackh1962almost 6 years ago

Sometimes I think some readers forget that the stories submitted here are of a world that exist only in the writer's mind,having nothing to do with "real world".These are not histories.One way that you could look at it is as it's a parallel universe(like you may find in sci fi),where some similar events happen and others are completely different.Also you have no idea of the timeline of this story.It may still be in the future of his fictional world. Read them for what they are, not for what they're not.

Schwanze1Schwanze1over 5 years ago
Unlikely

but a helluva lot of fun. Thanks!

flarebel2327flarebel2327over 5 years ago
military , C I A and other groups

these maybe just stories , but there is a lot that goes on that the public will never read or hear about. 9/11/01 the c I a wasn't allowed to speak of. it has since came out they had knowledge of

JbRobertssonJbRobertssonabout 5 years ago
Second reading, still excellent...

Great story with great writing. I'm usually 180° out-of-phase with Fanfare's thoughts, but I agree completely with his comment posted on 04/07/15. It even generated a chuckle or two.

Well done TFB. Thanks for posting such a great story. 5 stars.

oldsage_1oldsage_1almost 5 years ago
Great yarn

Another great yarn as only our Texican authors seem to provide. Enjoyed very much. Going back to read more of this author’s posts.

flarebel2327flarebel2327almost 5 years ago
gromments

those gromments should have been installed in the wall & not the roof. in the wall with a 4 to 6 inch loop for a natural water drop.

flarebel2327flarebel2327almost 5 years ago
rivers

the St Johns river is the only 1 that I know of that flows north .

flarebel2327flarebel2327almost 5 years ago
Florida

on the river flowing north the St Johns in Fl. the only 1 north of the equator that does.

jackh1962jackh1962over 4 years ago
Rivers

flarebell,not to argue with you, but the red river in North Dakota flows north into Canada,also the first couple hundred miles of the Missouri flows north before turning east then south as well.But in general you are correct that most do flow south.

AnonymousAnonymousover 4 years ago
Great story. Third time for me. Regarding rivers.

The “New River” begins in NC, flows north to Va, then into WV not far from VATECH.

It’s name changes near Charleston, WV I think, and eventually joins the Ohio and the Big Muddy. I have spent over 30 years paddling the New.

Reportedly and ironically, the New is the second oldest river in the world. The Nile is oldest. I’m not 100% sure of this but that’s what folks say.

On a side note, the Rockies are way way way bigger than tha Appalachians but only because the Rockies are way way way younger. The Appalachians have wash away.

patilliepatillieover 4 years ago
I had to bail on this at page 11

so close to the end, but the insufferable banter back and forth, re paddling, etc just overwhelmed the (good) story. No one talks like this, no one is so forthcoming re sex with a guy 12 yrs older when they are 20. I cant believe this won an award.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 4 years ago
The last couple of sentences should read:

"A third of the people in the country believe it, another third don't and the remaining third just don't give a shit."

Ravey19Ravey19almost 4 years ago
Thoroughly Enjoyable Read

Narrative is how you write and I love it. Cannot comment on any geographical anomalies but to me they wouldn't detract from the overall feeling of this story. Only when I got to the hiding place in the bayou did I realise I'd read this year's ago but still found it very pleasing. Well done.

AnonymousAnonymousover 3 years ago
Nope

"three clips for each handgun" Any military or experienced shooter knows that they are magazines. An M-1 Garand rifle from WWII uses clips, look them up, and, perhaps, you may see the difference. Good yarn.

AnonymousAnonymousover 3 years ago
10 stars

But they only let me give it a 5. I was wearing khaki for first time in 1957 and learned the difference between a clip and a magazine and a whole lot more that has not applied in my life since 1967. For those like me, either one is the "thingy" that holds the "bullets" (rounds) in a weapon. For others it is just "Artistic License". Let it go!

drycreeksdrycreeksalmost 3 years ago

Im 61 yrs old been shooting for 55 of those dont sweat the clip magazine mistake its made everyday everywhere. Great read going tonread ur other stuff. Thanjs for the time n energy u put into ur work it is appreciated.

AnonymousAnonymousover 2 years ago

The comment of half, half and half was a joke - it wasn't supposed to be thirds.

And yeah, if the only issue was clip vs magazine - geesh chill out.

flareb2343flareb2343over 2 years ago
RIVERS

haveing lived Fl. for all of my 78 1/ 2 yrs the ST. JOHNS us the only river I knew of

Rancher46Rancher46about 2 years ago

What a great story, I really enjoyed it. Comments about geographical anomalies are to me silly as this a work of fiction and not fact. 5 stars

Texican1830Texican1830about 2 years ago

Excellent! I enjoyed every moment of reading!

ChopinesqueChopinesquealmost 2 years ago

What a genuinely fine read. Thank you sincerely!

PurplefizzPurplefizzalmost 2 years ago

From a writing pov this just fell off a cliff after the court meeting, I’m not sure if the writer lost interest, got bored or had writers block, but to leave it like that is a disservice to an otherwise engaging piece of work.

4 ⭐️ and I’m being generous, way too many typos and incorrect words, plus the awful way it’s been finished. You can do better Texasfarmboy, please tidy this up and rewrite the end properly and I’ll gladly give it a 5⭐️.

Kb7rpiKb7rpiover 1 year ago

Great little story. I’m retired AF and 69 yr old. I throughly enjoyed the plot line and gave you 5 stars. Thank you for taking the time to write this.

rbloch66rbloch665 months ago

Well written, well told. 5/5

Luvz2readeroticaLuvz2readeroticaabout 1 month ago

Absolutely fantastic 5 plus!!!!

AnonymousAnonymousabout 1 month ago

Bloody great wish there was more than 5stars

Anonymous
Our Comments Policy is available in the Lit FAQ
Post as:
Anonymous