All Comments on 'Something For a Rainy Day'

by RichardGerald

Sort by:
  • 67 Comments
tazz317tazz317over 9 years ago
THE GOLDEN PARACHUTE

is the best saved for a rainy day. TK U MLJ LV NV

PostScriptorPostScriptorover 9 years ago
Good choice...

Brazil doesn't have an extradition treaty with the U.S., so it is a safe place to pick! HAHAHA!

ariesgirlariesgirlover 9 years ago

Not surprised at the outcome. I knew that was going to happen.

woodmanonewoodmanoneover 9 years ago
Good for the old guy

I know he committed a crime but I can't help but feel good for Morgan. He gave his life to that company and the new owners discarded him like a used piece of equipment.

Enjoy your coffee Morgan

Woodmanone

AnonymousAnonymousover 9 years ago
Saw that coming but funny none the less

I didn't really understand what happened with his kids. Did they side with their Mother and leave him? Did he pay for college for his kids and her kids? Did he help her out after she lost her second husband? Oh well.

Drbeamer3333Drbeamer3333over 9 years ago
Enjoyed it

thanks for the offering.

sdc97230sdc97230over 9 years ago
Once you've been abandoned by people you gave everything to

You prepare yourself for when it happens again. Morgan prepared himself well.

betrayedbylovebetrayedbyloveover 9 years ago
Nice

Great tale about beating the system. Maybe she did go with him.

Hmmm...

Sid0604Sid0604over 9 years ago
Thank you...

I enjoyed reading your story. Thank you.

VickieTernVickieTernover 9 years ago
Charming!

True, new brooms are too inflexible to sweep clean, and too innocent to see how much mischief has escaped them.

AnonymousAnonymousover 9 years ago
Nitpicking . . .

As someone who is in the investment business, I doubt the clients would have been happy to have bought long-term bonds BEFORE an interest rate rise. When interest rates rise, bond values fall.

I assume it was just a mental glitch on your part. It takes nothing away from a very sweet story.

AnonymousAnonymousover 9 years ago
Good story, but not sure I support Morgan's choices.

Sounds like he worked long hours, to the detriment of his marriage. He doesn't even know what time his wife is getting home from work, because he's not home either? So I can see the kids accepting him as an economic unit of production rather than a father. The story relates no warm family vignettes and interaction. And since the wife has no emotional content to her marriage, why put up with the economic sacrifice? For a man who is supposedly savvy to the complexities of long term investments, it sounds like he invested very little into his marriage; much more into his job. We don't know if or for how long the wife tried to redirect his attention to her and their children, but it sounds like it was very cold and distant by the time she left. That story we will never know.

So his swan song is to exit as a thief? I believe he worked, and they paid him. If he wanted more he should have invested his time and efforts into more education, acquired more marketable skills. With the support of his wife and children, they could have improved their lives. Sounds like he had this plan in the back of his mind for a long time. And being shed of the wife and kids just makes his escape that much less complicated. No, not sure Morgan is the sad underdog portrayed after all. But this was a very well written and thought provoking story. Thank you!

KarenEKarenEabout 9 years ago
Love It!

Couple of thoughts -

His kids - As someone else said, maybe they DID only look on him as an "economic unit", but still, HE was there for them when their mother ran off, that should count for SOMETHING!

Ellen - I don't know how much older than her he is, but sending her a first-class ticket to Rio sounds like it might be fun!

RhomanovRhomanovabout 9 years ago
*****

There is a certain elegance to a self defined severance package.

xtremeddxtremeddabout 9 years ago
Smoooth clear and concise...

it left me with a smile.

Thanks for sharing on Lit.

x

calflashcalflashalmost 9 years ago
loved it

I liked his scheme for a self paid "golden parachute" and way of embarrassing the new management.

sbrooks103sbrooks103almost 9 years ago
Good Revenge!

He should have invited Ellen down to join him!

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 9 years ago
fantastic

poetic justice

exact revenge

tally ho

5 stars

Tw0Cr0wsTw0Cr0wsalmost 9 years ago
hmmm...

This is the first RG story that I gave 5* to.

No, Morgan wasn't perfect, but I'd bet that if they hadn't fired him and had treated him reasonably he would have stayed and worked honestly for them.

gatorhermitgatorhermitover 8 years ago
Clever Story...

...with a great ending. Love it when a plan comes together. Five stars from this reader.

AnonymousAnonymousover 8 years ago
also my first

5 star rate for this author. he finally got one correct.

other tales are 2-3 star efforts. some have, some have not, why I don't attempt writing.

sbrooks103sbrooks103over 8 years ago
Further Thoughts

"I have fallen in love with someone else," – You don’t JUST “fall in love” with someone; you have to out with them, get into romantic situations, etc.

“He hadn't heard from any of his kids in over five years.” – That’s amazing! Their mother walks out, he sacrifices everything for them, and then they abandon him?

@Anonymous “Saw that coming” – I don’t believe the kids sided with her, she left them with him, he DID pay for HIS kids college.

@Anonymous “Nitpicking” – I claim NO expertise, but I believe the customers were happy because they were the bond issuers, so by selling when they did they paid out a lot less in interest.

@Anonymous “Good story” – MAYBE he could have devoted more time to his family, but as you say, we see no effort on her part to encourage more “family” time, in fact SHE abandons her family (not just him), to “trade up”.

chytownchytownover 8 years ago
Great Feel Good Read*****

Thanks for sharing.

carvohicarvohiover 8 years ago
Ah Richard...

You're my hero.

AnonymousAnonymousover 8 years ago
Very nice!

Got to watch out for the little guys! He certainly looked out for himself. I wonder if the ex or the kids even missed him? One thing. When the kids wanted to go to school they should have had to pay their own way or at the very least go to the local University. Spoiled little brats!

nancyharpman17nancyharpman17over 8 years ago
Hooray For Morgan

One of your better stories. Short...but good. I liked the ending. Haha The wife should have stayed with Morgan. Dumb bitch.

bruce22bruce22about 8 years ago
Delicious

Even though everyone is guilty in the story!

sbrooks103xsbrooks103xalmost 8 years ago
Gave It a Four, But...

Mainly because it deserved more than a three, gave it the bump for sticking it to the man!

It's been said before, maybe even by me, that he should have sent Ellen a ticket to Rio! That would have made it a SOLID four!

AnonymousAnonymousover 7 years ago
Gave it a Four Star

Could of gone into more depth I thought about Morgan's divorce and Ellen's life.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 7 years ago
5 Stars

First of all, this is a short story. There is no time/space for tracing the history of Western Civilization. I was concerned that too much space had been devoted to Morgan's divorce but RG knows best! A little man, doing his best for 35 years and damn-all to show for it. Except a plan... for a rainy day only he saw coming. Great story. My only quibble is that you left out my fix of Albany area local color. JPR

Theakston58Theakston58almost 7 years ago
Loved it!

The sly old fox...good for him!

boatbummboatbummover 6 years ago
Cute Flash With A Nice Twist

They could find out that Morgan had fled to Brazil, of course, but with the head start he has, he could be anywhere in the country by now, and will certainly have spent a few thousand to acquire a new ID....

tazz317tazz317almost 6 years ago
NEVER TRY TO FOOL AND OLD TIMER

they didn't get old being foolish, TK U MLJ LV NV

danoctoberdanoctoberover 5 years ago
Then what happen?

I liked this story. Thanks for sharing.*****

AnonymousAnonymousover 5 years ago

Was it his ace in the hole? Or an ace up his sleeve? Either way it’s nice to see someone come out ahead of the game. Those corporate buyouts and the bloodletting that always seems to follow, are very ugly. Nice to read a story about the little guy who came out of it with a smile on his face.

jtwheelsjtwheelsalmost 5 years ago
Live by computers and they rule the day sometimes as slot machines

Good story

Rolando1225Rolando1225almost 5 years ago
Great Short Story

Great Short Story to make you smile in a cloudy day. Great writer too. Thanks for the story.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 4 years ago
I expected it

I knoew he was going to game the system, now he is over there enjoying his millions on his own, the wife that traded up now burdened with debts, the corporation that didn't consider him robbed of a few pennys, and he well he is probally enjoying himself some sweet Brazilian ass!!!!!!!

AnonymousAnonymousabout 4 years ago
Short and Sweet

Loved it.

jtwheelsjtwheelsabout 4 years ago
Second reading still good. Treat me like shit but what happened when the shit hit the fan.

Oh you were standing in front of it!

NitpicNitpicalmost 4 years ago
If

If what he did was to spite the new owners ,I agree with him.How ever if it was meant to be taken from his present employers,then I don't agree with his action.

AnonymousAnonymousover 3 years ago
It's happened before

I used to work with a Computer Programmer that told me that a previous employer had given him an 18 month contract, 6 months to write some software & 12 months maintenance but he was "sacked" after 6 months and they refused to honour the rest of the deal. Unfortunately one month later the software stopped working and they had to go back to him - his price to fix it was the 1 year payment in one cheque and once it had cleared, he removed one line of code & the new system worked again.

What he had done was hard code in that if his name was taken out of the payroll before the end of contract date, his system would stop working!

etchiboyetchiboyover 3 years ago
@nitpic — If...

“Just needed a complete change of staff to make it work. All the people who would have seen something wrong were let go.”

That is, if everyone was fired... therefore most likely new owners.

chytownchytownabout 3 years ago
A Wishful Thought For Many Fiftyish Employees*****

When let go when their company change owners. Good read. Thanks for sharing.

clearcreekclearcreekabout 3 years ago

i always enjoy a story that has the trod over win in the end

Ironman52Ironman52about 3 years ago

Office Space. 5* For Milton

dgfergiedgfergiealmost 3 years ago

Loved it and quite possible a true story, somewhere! Don't you just love the corporation take overs where they force older faithful employees to train the new hires that will take their old jobs with less pay? No heart no feeling no sense of honor. Something to be said for unions as much as people complain about them. 78 and retired I now make for retired than I did working thanks to unions.................executives just don't get it but Mr. Morgan did!

AnonymousAnonymousover 2 years ago

Good story. Thank you.

ErotFanErotFanabout 2 years ago

Don't mess with the old guy!

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 2 years ago

Yes

kirei8kirei8almost 2 years ago

Hopefully he sent a Cayman account number to his protege and nothing for his ingrates and ex.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 2 years ago

Was this a revenge story, or a crime pays story.

Cleverly written. Short and sweet. But before we praise the genius of it, remember, in the end it all of us little people that pay.

AnonymousAnonymousover 1 year ago

Truly a glorious tale. LP

AnonymousAnonymousover 1 year ago

Good story. Just curious but it sounds like his wife Dana left him with the kids. Is that right?

AnonymousAnonymousover 1 year ago

Wow his kids were jerks. No contact for 5 years? Dana got two kids from thr lawyer she didn't love and when he died, she lost the "good" life. Quite a shark. I guess his kids inherited that from her.

parenthesisparenthesisabout 1 year ago

Dunno if you still read comments after all this time, but thanks I truly enjoyed this.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 1 year ago

Now that IS playing the long game, why is every one worried about his callous wife and children? They are after all just losers

nixroxnixrox11 months ago

5 stars - I like this story.

He got away with more than enough to last the rest of his life.

It is always nice to see big business getting hosed every now and again.

AnonymousAnonymous11 months ago

That's a dream ending for sure

AnonymousAnonymous10 months ago

Morgan deserthe good life away from his cheating bitch ex wife and ungrateful bastard children!! Too bad there is no comeuppance for them

secretsalsecretsal9 months ago

Hey it's the Office Space plotline. Nice change of pace from the usual.

XluckyleeXluckylee9 months ago

Love the ending 5 stars from Xluckylee

dirtyoldbimandirtyoldbiman6 months ago

Awesome. Perfect.

OldmantruckerOldmantrucker3 months ago

🤪😁👍👍👍👍💯💯💯🤷

AnonymousAnonymous5 days ago

Goes to show, it pays to prepare! Good for Morgan! 5 stars

somewhere east of Omaha

Anonymous
Our Comments Policy is available in the Lit FAQ
Post as:
Anonymous