All Comments on 'The Promise'

by DreamCloud

Sort by:
  • 638 Comments
AnonymousAnonymousover 9 years ago
I loved it!

Best story I've read in a long time! 5 stars!

AlwaysrainingAlwaysrainingover 9 years ago
Perfect!

Superb story, brought tears to my eyes here and there, great structure and a perfect rounding off at the end. I just love feel good stories! Thanks.

AnonymousAnonymousover 9 years ago
one of...

the best - thanks!

AnonymousAnonymousover 9 years ago
Fucking hell

I don't even know what to say dude. Are you published?

AnonymousAnonymousover 9 years ago
Outstanding

One of the five best I've ever read on this site.

AnonymousAnonymousover 9 years ago
Stopping half a page in....

I had to stop, because I just wasn't ready for this.......yet.

Sometimes. you will read comments where the reader confesses to stopping before the end, and that means they didn't like it. For me, it is exactly the opposite.

Just a few paragraphs, and I can all ready tell that this will be QUITE the emotional powerhouse. That, and I have read some of your other work, so I KNOW how good this is going to be, and I KNOW it will affect the rest of my day.

I'm not sure when I'll get back to this. I stopped to write a warning for comments skimmers: MAKE SURE you are ready to invest the time and tissues before starting.

I'm actually pissed, a little, because by the time I do finish this, I won't be able to comment then. Only vote. But, I can already tell, it will be a five, so no worries there DC.

If your responses are slow going, I predict it will be because there are others like me. Those who want to read, but know that they will have to set aside the right amount of time, and must place themselves in the right type of frame-o-mind first, before attempting to digest this: what I can only imagine will be another masterpiece from you.

Thanks as always for your contributions, but I might ask you to work a little better on your "author's preface", next time. It didn't really prepare me for what was to come.

AnonymousAnonymousover 9 years ago
I have read most of your contributions on Lit

I liked them very much but this one moved me to tears like no other.

May be because it struck home but mainly because it is so well written.

Thank you,

DS

coder0504coder0504over 9 years ago
Powerful, full of Passion

I lost my wife several years ago, and remember many of the same feelings and emotions that you brought to this story. Fortunately, I also found love again, so your story really hit the mark for me. Excellent writing, great character development. You really know how the make the reader care for the people and what is happening. Superb story! Thanks.

Tarheels_FanTarheels_Fanover 9 years ago
Thank you

It's been said that the best praise comes in the simplest form. Thank you.

Thank you for sharing this story. It's one of the best I've read anywhere.

d2talld2tallover 9 years ago
Upping the game!!

If anyone is up for a challenge, I hope you bring your A game cause this author sure has. You might want to stay out of the romance category cause DreamCloud is on fire. Another outstanding story. You take no prisoners my friend. That is scary good. LOVED IT!! Can't thank you enough..

dyonysosdyonysosover 9 years ago

oh my god if i could give you more then 5 stars i would without hesitation

This is such a moving story ,a human story about loss,compassion but allso filled with love and at sometimes humor, please keep writing your marvelous storys

bystander13bystander13over 9 years ago
One in a million

Well thought out and engaging story. Proof that it's not about the actions in bed but the rather the actions outside the bed that have the greatest impact on the heart. It gets really old seeing stories where someone threw out decades of loving marriage, a family, and everything they ever lived for because of a night of what was really just sex or big equipment. I'd rather read a story like yours where realistic thought processes guide actions. Even after their significant others were gone, these two cherished and held on to their memories and promises. I've enjoyed many stories but this was the first one that garnered a favorite. Thank you for sharing it.

nreh21nreh21over 9 years ago

WOW, what a story....

AnonymousAnonymousover 9 years ago
A little Hallmark gushie at times

but a pleasant romantic read. I really enjoyed this story. One of the best romance stories around. Thank you. (ML) 5*

RedPillRedPillover 9 years ago
Outstanding

...but this story was so good that to merely call it 'outstanding' seems like damning with faint praise. Unlike DreamCloud, words fail me.

AnonymousAnonymousover 9 years ago
Totally Incredible!

Sorry, only 5 stars possible. Should be more stars. Did he sing for the Police and Firefighters?

RemmyqqriRemmyqqriover 9 years ago
Classic!

This is the best I've read thus far!

Character development is fantastic, and engaging!

You'll find yourself cheering for the good guys!

AnonymousAnonymousover 9 years ago
BRAVO

The comment title says it all.

KenfromIndyKenfromIndyover 9 years ago
Stories like this is why I read on this site!

You have to go through a lot of so so stories like dirt but occasionally you will find Gold and like this story Diamonds. A very well written, tug at the heart story with good characters. I could not ask for more in a story to spend my most precious asset - time.

Thank you for sharing this story and writing effort. It was appreciated and I hope you continue writing.

calgarycamperscalgarycampersover 9 years ago
GREAT Once again

I truly love your style. This was a very good story. 5'S For sure.

AnonymousAnonymousover 9 years ago
Excellent

This was put together with great finesse and feeling. Congratulations.

123flopsy123flopsyover 9 years ago

I am totally not crying right now.

gatorhermitgatorhermitover 9 years ago
Wow. Surprisingly good story.

Author needs to get an agent - this would make a fabulous movie. I would cast Matthew McConaughey as lead, Beyonce as Sadie, Tommy Lee Jones as David's boss. Robert Downy Jr as the rich prick. William H Macy as Houser. Would make a hell of a flick. Oh, and Amy Adams as Amber.

qhml1qhml1over 9 years ago
Really Excellent Story

I'd say more, but the other commenters pretty much covered it. Damn fine work. The characters were real, a primer in how everyday people can or cannot handle pain, and the resilience of the human spirit. A five from me.

QHML1

AnonymousAnonymousover 9 years ago
one great tale

loved your tale. a true romance tale with a little true life in it.

AnonymousAnonymousover 9 years ago
You have entertained me

I could write more, but the title says it all. Thanks for sharing this.

AnonymousAnonymousover 9 years ago
loved it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Loved it! Thanks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sidney43Sidney43over 9 years ago

I started off hating David for being a weakling and a quitter, but changed my mind as the story developed. Yes, it was a bit over the top and overly warm and fuzzy and I shouldn't like it, but I am having trouble wiping the smile off my face, so five stars.

Thank you.

bigdnc13bigdnc13over 9 years ago
Wonderful!!

If this is as you say your drivel, it's WONDERFUL drivel. Thank you so much for a loving, uplifting story.

arrowglassarrowglassover 9 years ago
Loved this story also...a true WINNER!

I added this one to my favorites and now I am going to start reading the rest of your stories when I can set aside the time. Thanks for such a good story...and I am betting I will find more in your collection.

AnonymousAnonymousover 9 years ago
A gem amongst the stones.

On here there are many average stories and quite a few outstanding stories.

But this one rises above them all. It is a polished gem amongst a bag of stones.

If I could write something half as good as this then I would be happy.

An excellent story, full of emotion.

AnonymousAnonymousover 9 years ago
You ...

Are a good story teller -

I once again thank you

BriteaseBriteaseover 9 years ago
Best ever?

5 stars. Don't know what else to say.

AnonymousAnonymousover 9 years ago
Thank you!

Thank you for this wonderful story!

Heart rending and uplifting at the same time.

Miniscule errors like "generally" instead of "genuinely" and the like in no way detract from a true gem of a story.

lilchocobabylilchocobabyover 9 years ago
Simply beautiful

Wonderful story, thank you

bruce22bruce22over 9 years ago
Great Feel Gooder

Fantastic the way the author swept me away into his world. His characters were burning bright.

Max604Max604over 9 years ago
You are one hell of a writer!!!

Just amazing, simply amazing!!! May just be the best story on Literotica.

Thanks for sharing with us.

AnonymousAnonymousover 9 years ago
AMAZING!!!

This is an absolutely amazing story. It is the best I have ever read anywhere. Please continue writing.

AnonymousAnonymousover 9 years ago
Needs a screenwriter

Needs a screenwriter - can see that pretty much on the Hallmark Channel or something - wonderful story

DreamCloudDreamCloudover 9 years agoAuthor
Thank You!

All your comments are feeding my next story. I am tackling something quite a bit different. Hopefully, it will be entertaining.

sexydad50sexydad50over 9 years ago
A must read

I have read several of your stories now and each one would make me want to read your other works. This one is WOW ! Still more of your stories to read, and I will.

Excellent

bgmisfunbgmisfunover 9 years ago
I have read a few of your stories and this is even better than the others.

Nothing fancy about the main story line. Some might even say predictable, or Hallmark-ish. But the details and the minor characters add to the depth of the story. This story has a little "America Got Talent," and John Grisham mixed in - the Mr. Nobody being catapulted to fame, and the little people fighting against big corporations.

And this is Literotica and there was no mention of dicks and pussies and still earned so many 5 stars. Well done.

AnonymousAnonymousover 9 years ago
Let me add my thanks and appreciation. A beautiful love story. I hope . . .

its not too late for children. That would be the icing!!!

Thank You

AnonymousAnonymousover 9 years ago
I keep coming back to check your story list.

OK It's fan mail. But it is true. I enjoy your stories and keep checking your list for new ones. I particularly enjoy your character development and how you wrap the reader into a sense of caring for your heroes and heroines. The plot lines are believable without being outrageous and yet the twists and turns you choose still manage to keep me wondering "what next." Not only that but the whole process often seems almost seamless. As always, I remain anonymous

musicalchickmusicalchickover 9 years ago
I didn't mean to read it all......

....but had to. I am a total romantic softy and your story ticked all the boxes for me. Delightful, well-written, absorbing and moving. I think that says it all :)

AnonymousAnonymousover 9 years ago
one word

Awesome

harismileysharismileysover 9 years ago
Outstanding

One of the best, as always. Keep them coming DC.

GunnlaugGunnlaugover 9 years ago

That was superb. It's currently horrible o'clock in the morning and I should be sleeping but I just couldn't stop reading. The funny thing is that I really don't go for romance stories much - I find them cheesy, for the most part. But what I really liked was a compassionate view of the homeless. I come from a city with thousands of them, falling through the cracks every day. Jus the thought that someone reading this might slip a couple of quid in their hand to help them get some soup or be moved enough to make a donation makes this story worthwhile. You are a compassionate writer and deserve every piece of success you achieve.

HadekaHadekaover 9 years ago
Loved it.

Loved it. Awesome. Keep writing.

AnonymousAnonymousover 9 years ago
Amazing

One of the best stories I've ever read. Turn it into a screenplay and you could make a fortune.

oldwayneoldwayneover 9 years ago
What a fine story!

Five Stars...well-deserved!

AnonymousAnonymousover 9 years ago
one of the best

This was awesome. And so emotional. You should totally sell this to a movie producer or something :D 5 stars!

bblack130bblack130over 9 years ago

I love this story. .it would make a fantastic movie

AnonymousAnonymousover 9 years ago
What a lovely and touching story

This is one I'll keep bookmarked so that I can revisit it from time to time.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 9 years ago
Moved me to tears...

This is the first story that moved me enough to comment... Great loving story, that I thought I knew what was going to happen as I read it, but I never got it quite right. Wonderful storytelling :D

OldfatanduglyOldfatanduglyabout 9 years ago
Trying to find a complementary adjective for my title line, but they have all been used by other commenters!

Possibly the greatest testament to the quality of this story is the fact that it has generated 60 comments in the 15 days since it was posted, and they are 100% positive. Compare that with many other good stories with high scores which haven't managed to garner half as much praise in several years!

Of course, someone will eventually complain that it doesn't have enough sex, but I think the sole sex scene strikes the perfect balance. A story posted in the Romance category should have more heart than sex, and this one certainly does. Those looking for stroke tales have plenty of other categories to root through.

Excellent work, DC.

jolly_readerjolly_readerabout 9 years ago
''smells like real life''

This story is mainstream class.keep up the good work.i seroiusly felt related to the characters.you made me feel for them.that's the ultimate success for a story

AnonymousAnonymousabout 9 years ago
A truly lovely work by a very talented writer.

I loved the flow, the theme and the pace. A leisurely stroll by an an artist with words. Outstanding and the best I have read on this venue in any genre. Please keep more coming!

RI

AnonymousAnonymousabout 9 years ago
felt good.

I read this story on a day when I was down and irritated and frustrated. When I finished I was glowing with the vibrant energy of the wonders of what a good story and best story telling can do to you. Thanks DreamCloud.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 9 years ago
How did this not get five stars from every voter?

A wonderful story, well paced with rich and warm characters. I even liked how Abernathy came crawling to them, it was an unexpected resolution to something that could have been left hanging. WOW!

AnonymousAnonymousabout 9 years ago
Exceptional!

I've never ever posted a comment on literotica. I never thought I would. But your lovely story changed it. It was not an erotica... it was romance and thrill, in its purest form. Some parts of the story built so much anticipation that I was voraciously gobbling it all, to get to the end of it. If a film ever gets made on this storyline, I'm sure I'd watch it... just to be reminded of the time when i used to sigh over Sleepless in Seattle. Thanks a lot for this lovely experience.

BurntRedstoneBurntRedstoneabout 9 years ago
Damn it! It's 2am and I've got tears in my eyes!

I'd try to pass them off as just tears of fatigue but that would be a lie. What a beautiful story. Brilliant character development, engrossing storyline (obviously, 2am), and very well paced. Thoroughly enjoyed this tale! Kudos!

asjahstrinaasjahstrinaabout 9 years ago
Tears

Thank you Dreamcloud , you pen such lovely heart warming romance. Everyone of the just brought tears to my eyes .

AnonymousAnonymousabout 9 years ago
Awesome!

Copyright this. Write a screenplay. Get an agent. Keep writing. You have real talent. Thank you.

RomanceLivesRomanceLivesabout 9 years ago
Beautiful story with interesting characters and plot

What a wonderful story. Heartwarming, romantic, with the right amount of backstory and tension. Good story and good writing.

Like BurntRedstone, I could not put the story down, and was teary-eyed and sniffly more than once.

ifonly66ifonly66about 9 years ago
Absoltely brilliant

Thank you so much for lovely story of how despair can be turned into a new way of life and how love finds a way to conquer your worst fears. So well written, I couldn't stop the tears welling up, thank you again.

patilliepatillieabout 9 years ago
Nice job, really well written, your

descriptions and dialogue is quite good. Love a good ending, and this had it. Wish you would write more in LW section, the audience is bigger and the commenters are the best on Lit. I think this story coulda been in LW, I dont know the rules, but it certainly had loving wives as characters.

Great start to 2015 and looking forward to more from you.

DoctimeDoctimeabout 9 years ago

Very well done. Brought tear to my eyes.

LeFrog08LeFrog08about 9 years ago
Damn good story.

I was teary eyed while reading this. Again.

This author's stories keep getting to me.

fefe428fefe428about 9 years ago
Loved this story!!!!

I so appreciated the David vs Goliath undertones of this story. I personally hate large corporations and the way they seem to operate with impunity these days. It was so refreshing to read a story where the little guy's come out on top without having to resort to the type of high handed tactics that are so often used by conglomerates and the very wealthy and powerful.

I also loved how you let the story develop and quietly reminded the readers about what's really important life.

I look forward to reading more of your work.

Maitre1962Maitre1962about 9 years ago
BRILLIANT!!!!

Well done! I TRUELY brilliant story!

MastersWenchMastersWenchabout 9 years ago
Pass the Tissues!

You have such a talent for making a story really come alive. This story really touched me. Thank you so much for sharing this with us!

MastersWench

retmstrretmstrabout 9 years ago
***** X 2 =

Very good, DC! Another masterpiece to my way of thinking. Would have been good without the sex. Thank you again. Cheers!

AnonymousAnonymousabout 9 years ago
If this was erotic horror

...then sadie would have served david for lunch

crazysexykool93crazysexykool93about 9 years ago
Wonderful!

I cried twice! Lol not ashamed to admit it!

AnonymousAnonymousabout 9 years ago
Beautiful

I normally read BDSM and fancied a change. Wow, I haven't stopped crying, you know how to invoke emotion, well done.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 9 years ago
Dude, seriously.

You have such a way with words and all your tales are just so fresh. I love all the characters I've read about so far: Dale and Mia, Todd and Lucia and now it's David and Sadie! Gods, I can't wait to read the rest of your works... But maybe after I get some shuteye first, it's 0521 already :P

Lovelots, HunterChic1807 xoxo

Ps. Up next: I can't decide..........

SELSTIMSELSTIMabout 9 years ago
Nice Story

You are one of the most empathetic writers I've ever read. Your characters are so real and that can only come from being able to put yourself into other peoples' shoes and to be able to feel what they are feeling in given situations. Well Done The one question I do have is what ever happened to the IRS agent that falsely implemented the audit. I was waiting for his old firm to do battle with the IRS and root out this little weasel that was obviously taking bribes. Other than that a fantastic story. Thank you

AnonymousAnonymousabout 9 years ago
Thank you

Beautiful, thank you for sharing.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 9 years ago
dude

wdf you made me cry

overthehillmedicoverthehillmedicalmost 9 years ago
At a loss for words....

I love your stories....they say a lot about people.. Good and ...well you know.....5+ *

Sid0604Sid0604almost 9 years ago
Thank you so much...

This is a wonderful story and I thoroughly enjoyed reading it. Easily worth 5 stars. Thankyou for sharing it.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 9 years ago
Excellent Story

A very well crafted story of loss and redemption. Superior character development and dialog. One of the best. 5*

Kookaburra8Kookaburra8almost 9 years ago
Wow what writer what a story

I don't normally read romance stories for a change I read one of yours. Actually this is the second, the first being Rehab and I wasn't disappointed with both. Wow what a writer you are, both stories were brilliant. I can't wait to read more of your stories. Another 5 star story as well as the first. Well done

rightbankrightbankalmost 9 years ago
so nice to read about a couple with integrity

happily ever after, warm fuzzies, the good guys win, golden rule, all wrapped up in a love story.

I hope they can soon find a third person to help them so they can actually get a day off.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 9 years ago
*****

Would give you more if I could, you're an amazing writer. I've read two of your stories so far and they both made me cry. My boyfriend is losing his mind with all my tears, don't think he likes you much,but I may be in love with you or at least your writing.. Thank you for sharing..

teedeedubteedeedubalmost 9 years ago
wonderful

Just a great story. Thank You for sharing.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 9 years ago
Another great story

I'm officially a fan, I will be reading every one of your submissions.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 9 years ago
It should be a 10

This is one of the best developed short stories I've read. If there was a 10 star rating I'd give it and ask for more.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 9 years ago
5/5

I think my title says it all. I loved this story and it made me wish for more, which is the tell tale sign of a good writer, honestly you built a story on a site for erotica that could have held interest without even having the promise of sex (mind you the sex itself was a nice touch). I will more then likely be reading a lot of your other submissions, please keep up the good work and i look forward to seeing what you write next

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 9 years ago

Wow! Another fine story that should be made into a movie. When will those fools ever learn to look around and find stories as fine as yours.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 9 years ago

This is the first and only story I've ever rated or commented upon here, but I loved it so much that I couldn't read it without letting you know how wonderful it was. This story was deeply moving. Your characters were well-developed, and I really cared about each one of them. David's constant thoughts of Amber could have been whiny and cheap, but you made his grief believable. The plot was engaging, and the character development was phenomenal. I'm not ashamed to say that this story made me cry at least once a page. Absolutely beautiful writing.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 9 years ago
Awesome

What a great story! I concur eith other comments. I suspect you might be a published writet but if you're not you need to find yourself a publisher. The character development was grest and the topic of lost love and grief handled with grace. It brought me to tears. 6a

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 9 years ago
I am sure that you are

happy with this story. You should be. I am always amazed with the quality of writing and the stories I find in these obscure places. I loved it and had to read the entire thing without stopping. What the other person said > it would make a good movie. Thank you for sharing this gem with us. I was feeling sad when I started reading and shed several tears along the way but feel soo good now. I appreciate your effort. TY

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 9 years ago
A movie! No doubt

Perfect. It's a masterpiece. It shouldn't be here. Don't get me wrong.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 9 years ago
Story fit for a film

Masterpiece. It is true literature. Good enough for making a full length film. Bravo.

Anonymous
Our Comments Policy is available in the Lit FAQ
Post as:
Anonymous