All Comments on 'Them Old Mountain Stories Ch. 01'

by stlgoddessfreya

Sort by:
  • 12 Comments
AnonymousAnonymousabout 9 years ago
An old story

This is a very rich story. Well done.

bearsladybearsladyabout 9 years ago

Very well done. I'm looking forward to the next part.

satrinahsatrinahabout 9 years ago

Wonderful; beautifully written and totally enchanting

AnonymousAnonymousabout 9 years ago
Irish

As an Irishman with more than a few drops of the southern Cherokee, that story runs true.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 9 years ago
More, please.

More, please and thank you.

AMoveableBeastAMoveableBeastabout 9 years ago

This is so far above the normal Lit fare. It is a different animal entirely, glorious, fully furred, as bloody and luxurious as a red wolf's hide.

Gorgeous writing. Beyond gorgeous. Succulent and authentic, savory and strong, legs like a country stew and as potent as bonded whiskey.

This is marvelous. One of my favorite stories I've ever read here. Part poetry, part mythology, all with roots dug deep in southern soil. An accomplishment, Freya. This is something to be proud of. You shine here, bright as a porch light in the deep holler.

Brilliant. Real. True. Superior.

You truly are a goddess.

Give me more.

Tx Tall TalesTx Tall Talesabout 9 years ago
Amazing

Sweet Jesus, this is a fantastic story. Lyrical, making art of words, tearing you out of the everyday, and dropping you into a time of myths and magic, a past close enough to feel, and strange enough to raise the hair on your arms. The people are real, authentic, and achingly familiar. The story told fascinating, haunting, and leaving you desperate to know more. Thank God there are more chapters coming.

Read this.

LoveMenLoveSexLoveMenLoveSexabout 9 years ago
Rich and delightful!

As intoxicating as the subject matter, and so beautifully written you've kept me up well past my planned bedtime. I'm really looking forward to reading more of this one and all of your others. Thank you!

MSTarotMSTarotabout 9 years ago
More than a hint of Bourbon fumes

This carries with it not only the taste of the oak of the barrel, but the wood that charred it to bring the vanilla tannins forward, and the purity of the mountain water. But the most "telling" part is that dark taste, that tells of the terrible heat of Summer...that takes away the angel's share.

This story is all of that, and it carries with it the sweetness of honeysuckle summer winds in the blackberry valleys and the fear of sudden storms on a hot night. Very, very good work, Goddess.

Critique: the dialog and characters in the bar are spot on and wonderfully brought to life, the songs and the imagery all just jump out in vivid clarity. When the "story" begins it's hard to follow for a bit because of that. Only at the very beginning, by the middle part it's much easier to follow and wonderfully enjoyable.

Excellent work, will certainly be looking forwards to a lot more of this.

MST

.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 9 years ago
Better than Wellman...

If Manly Wade Wellman was your inspiration, you did a lovely job emulating him while still allowing your own literary voice to shine through.

And kudos for the shout out to Kentucky. It truly is a fine place to live.

AnonymousAnonymousover 7 years ago
Very well written

Very well written, and unexpected for this website.

You could write elsewhere as well.

MaonaighMaonaighover 6 years ago
A worthy successor...

...to the stories of Manly Wade Wellman. Thanks for this Freya.

Anonymous
Our Comments Policy is available in the Lit FAQ
Post as:
Anonymous