All Comments on 'A Category That Is: Loving Wives Pt. 02'

by Sammael Bard

Sort by:
  • 30 Comments
PimankoPimankoabout 9 years ago
Insightful Analysis

As always, you are very perceptive and insightful.

ISKwestISKwestabout 9 years ago
random reactions

1. some of the anonymous flamers on the LW category are a special breed. I think many of them get off on the stories they give a 1 to. They hurt and they hate. Forgiveness is for wimps, etc. Let the bitch burn in hell, be a real man, etc etc. They're deliberately reading the stories, addicted their own pain. In a sense, they're among the most loyal readers of the genre.

2. I mainly comment anonymously (can't be bothered to log in). I comment on structural aspects of story telling .. structure, plot inconsistencies, and so on.

3. I also see a difference between a dramatic story and a much simply 'describe the fantasy' without any backstory. The second type can be quite good .. the wife getting a massage is a popular variant that can be hotter than hell, without the bells and whistles of a full life drama. That said, I do prefer stories that have psychological depth, exploring feelings.

4. the 'hater' backlash. These are comments from people who loved the story and cannot tolerate the possibility of negative but nonetheless constructive comments. I think this is a fairly recent (in last year or so) internet trend .. where any sort of negative comment is called 'hate'. Ergo, the 'ignore the haters' comment one occasionally comes across. Strikes me as being overly defensive and intolerant of alternative readings of a story.

5. Stories are not easy to write. For pure effort, I have to applaud those who make an effort, even if I don't like the story.

frank4052frank4052about 9 years ago
comments and votes

I think you should be logged in to vote and/or comment. Think some people just skip story and go to comments mainly in LW to post bad reviews and is unfair to all who write or read. I don't read anonymous and then read story that has bad score and find is really a good story but some asses think they get back at there own life by there action and take it out on all who write even when some are true and other stories are fiction.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 9 years ago
revenge

I like to vote 1 for all the revenge stories and the macho violent ones too. I think if you write about how tuff you are, then you are probably a coward. now the interesting thing is why should you give a toss, WELL you have just invested yourself in reading the offering only to realize you have been psychologically hanging out with someone you rate just above a child molester so now REVENGE is called for and you vote a 1.

anyhow there needs to be a revenge/ unhappy divorce/ macho category for all of those losers that pollute loving wives.

chilleywilleychilleywilleyabout 9 years ago
Many Readers want a Passion Play

You,know, a play that we have seen over and over, and it has to rigidly reflect the orthodoxy of the readers.

1 The husband is such a nice guy, preferably with huge talent

2 The husband must out smart the wife

3 The husband must have many fine friends who worship-fully help him

4 The husband must quickly find a sex partner, preferably from a lower class

5 The husband must always come out on top

1 The wife is a thoughtless wanton

2 The wife is stupider than the husband

3 Any friends the wife has, will be ineffective

4 The wife's sex partner dumps her

5 The wife must end up much worse off than before

6 The wife mourns his departure, wears sack cloth and ashes for years

to break the orthodoxy is to be an apostate, and reviled by the believers

Chilleywilley

luedonluedonabout 9 years ago
Scores distribution would be interesting

My old statistics lecturer used to say "you could drown in a creek with an average depth of half an inch".

When you see comments like "I gave it 1 because Bonnie gave it 5" it becomes obvious that a story's average score hides a lot of fun data. I suspect the distribution would form a U-shaped curve for a lot of LW stories, with a lot of 1s and 5s and fewer scores in the middle.

A plea to LW authors: Please don't delete comments, it is fascinating to read the more deranged ones.

And a second plea: Please don't put a preamble telling people not to read your story if they don't like cheating wives or whatever. They will read it anyhow, but your preamble makes it impossible for them to express their outrage in a comment.

Sammael BardSammael Bardabout 9 years agoAuthor
Reply

@Pimanko: Thank you, Sir! You write some amazingly hot stories yourself too. =)

@ISKwest: Your analysis is accurate. In my opinion, readers have the right to love or hate a story. No single person can love every single damn story. But I don't support malicious, personal attacks on an author or on the kink of the story itself. That's nothing but the definition of a Troll.

@frank4052: It's true, but look at the brighter side of things. The number of anonymous commenter posting wonderful and helpful feedback outweighs the vicious one by a huge margin. I think making it compulsory to log in while posting a comment will decrease the huge amount of comments an author receives. Helpful users who aren't a part of this website will be left out. I don't think you'd want that.

@Anonymous (revenge): Questioning the "Kink" of the story itself isn't something that I support. If you don't like it, move on. You're nothing but an example of the "Righteous Brigade" I've mentioned earlier. You give a 1* vote just because you HATE those particular type of stories. You read (or skim through it, I can't say) through a story and place your judgement on it.

I don't know what else to say.

@chilleywilley: LOL! You've just posted a D-I-Y kit for anyone looking to post such a story. You're right. The category is filled with prejudiced stories.

@luedon: See? I was right about people who enjoy reading the LW category solely for its comments section. =D

tbear69tbear69about 9 years ago
Log on to leave comments

I agree with Frank4052. If you feel you have something to say, take the couple of seconds it takes to log in and then post it. While I haven't gotten the courage up to post anything here yet (mostly due to not wanting to have Anonymous trash me for it) I would value comments from registered readers much higher than from a faceless annon.

Sammael BardSammael Bardabout 9 years agoAuthor
Reply

@tbear69: Are you sure that a registered user can't be a moron? Just asking...

seekerazseekerazabout 9 years ago
It must be nice to be so much more enlightened than the "Righteous Brigade"...

but I would suggest that the comment to Anonymous was just as out of line as the 1* votes given by those you call the righteous brigade.

I am one who will not hesitate to comment on a "kink", especially when there is ample evidence that the kink is damaging, especially to those who are not at choice (including those who are betrayed, humiliated, coerced, forced, and more). If authors are honest about it they write for the reaction of the readers, why else would they post? The range of readers here is huge. Some read for enjoyment, some read out of desperation, some read from the depths of their hurt and despair, and some read for therapy? Are they not allowed to comment- even with their votes?

I agree that attacks should not be made on authors (though I have been guilty of doing just that and am trying to get better). I also think that each reader should be able to express how a story effects them in the comments and that the comments should not be deleted.

I have found that over the past months, my need for reading in LW diminished except for the rare nugget where the wife actually loves the husband and the husband actually loves the wife. (In my world love does not manifest in deceit and betrayal). I also know that by strict definition Loving Wives is not the place for stories about wives who love. Unfortunately there is no good category for playful couples who don't want or need to share with others or invite them into their beds. A Loving Couples hub would be one solution. And fetish should be in fetish but those stories are spilling over into every hub and this is nothing new.

The attacks on other commenters aren't helpful (again I have been guilty of this), especially like those between bonnie and anony (two personalities behind a single keyboard) and they only distract.

I would like to differentiate between anonymous commenters so that real dialogue can be pursued and that real feelings and thoughts can be expressed and explored. But it's not my site and I have no right to dictate.

I'm certainly not as erudite as most who comment here but these are my thoughts and I make no apologies for them.

gordo12gordo12about 9 years ago
It's funny

It isn't just the authors taking the shit storm.

You'd be surprised by the number of times I receive emails from Lit where some annony tells me what a shit I am because I made a comment they didn't like.

LOL the little boys just won't quit!

I guess it's the price of having a registered account :-)

Sammael BardSammael Bardabout 9 years agoAuthor
Reply

@seekaraz:

You know what? I'm familiar with your comments on my earlier essay.

And like always, you're waaaay off.

My reply to anonymous was an observation on his behaviour. I gave an opinion on what I thought about him, and left it at that. A Righteous Brigadier would've pursued the point and gone further to tell him how he should change himself etcetera. I didn't do that, so NO. In no way did I behave as a Righteous Brigadier.

A "kink" which is someone's fantasy written in fiction is no way questionable on the basis that it's damaging. It's like the same analogy that compares women wearing skirt and the rise in incidents of rapes. Just because you don't like a kink in fiction doesn't mean you should associate every evil in the book with it. It's not a good thing.

You also made a generalisation that authors write for reaction.

Wrong. Not ALL authors write for a reaction. And most of those who do, wouldn't like to see hate mails and rape threats. They would definitely prefer constructive criticism over malicious death threats on any given day.

Readers are free to comment and vote as they like. But they should be aware of the terms that society associates with trollish behaviour. Isn't it stupid that someone complains of being called a troll when he/she indulges openly in the act?

And by the way, who are readers to say whether a comment should remain on the board or not? Comments on a comments board is the property of an author and the website. He/She has full right to delete the comments they don't see fit.

I didn't get your last thought though, about "differentiating between anonymous commenter". Are you talking about separating anonymous who post helpful feedback to those who spit vile?

You're free to comment and vote as you like, wherever you like, as many times as you like. I won't say a word. The website gives you, the readers, a gigantic freedom to do so. But it also gives freedom to Authors to decide what advice/comments they should heed and what they should discard. Readers don't have any right to put their judgement on that.

You needn't apologise for expressing your thought, but you also shouldn't strangle someone else's Rights.

@gordo12: Same here, my friend. Although I don't post many comments with my username, I was surprised to find two feedbacks on my mail - one calling me a cunt, and the other threatening to kill me.

Either way, their efforts were wasted on a thick-skinned bastard like me. =)

seekerazseekerazabout 9 years ago
There are some anonymous comments that are valuable...

and offer some insight deserving of further discussion. If anonymous1 comments in a worthwhile way, he or she can be addressed and dialogue can be expanded. If anonymous2 is obnoxious he/she and be ignored.

As for the "generalization" that some authors don't seek comment.. perhaps... but they do want their stuff read or they wouldn't post. I suppose that they would prefer to have only kudos sent their way.

I too have had death threats and many emails from those who take exception to my opinions. I am learning. I hope I am learning to tone down the ad hominem and deal with themes and reactions to characters and storyline.

For those times that I fail, mea culpa

luedonluedonabout 9 years ago
Dear Seekeraz

The ad hominem comments are the most entertaining, so please don't soften them too much.

I hadn't paid much attention to story comments until I became a contributor and then read the comments my first story attracted. Initially, I had been hoping for comments about whether my story was structured well or not and I was surprised that most comments ignored that and were instead about the morality of my first-person character and about me as an author. I especially liked the comment hoping that I should die of AIDS.

Now I read stories in the hope that they have attracted interesting comments. The more rabid the outrage the more entertaining I find the comment.

The people I feel sorry for are those authors who might be hoping to win a Literotica Award. You won't stand much chance if you write a story in which a wife wanders and enjoys her adulterous experience.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 9 years ago
On Comments . . .

As a LW category addict, I know the comments can be a kick. Given the typically terrible level of writing from the frothing at the mouth types, I'd think that the sense of superiority an author would feel after reading them would put a spring in his/her step for the rest of the day!

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 9 years ago
various types of story in one category

The Souful one has pointed out (mostly in the first part) that there are various types of stories posted in LW. It isn't always easy to know early on which type the story is. I've gotten so I can usually tell now, but it took a while to figure it out.

Someone in the mood for a reconciliation story is likely to hate a revenge story and vice versa. Similarly, someone in the mood for a love with your partner story isn't going to be keen on a story that involves considerations of infidelity.

It might help some readers if there is a warning or sub-category so the reader can avoid those not matching his or her mood at the time.

walrus90walrus90almost 9 years ago
Interesting Analysis from Author's point of view

First, this about myself: Though I have enjoyed browsing and reading stories on Literotica for almost as long as I've been on the Internet (about 25 years, and I wrote my first own website in HTML), I've only just signed up as a member with the name of walrus90. Walrus was my very first name on the net, because "The time has come, the Walrus said, to speak of many things ...." and that was what I wanted to do. I added 90, because there is less than a year till my 90th birthday.

As for the Loving Wives category, I go there regularly, but not too often - it is definitely not my favorite (those are clearly Mature and Incest/Taboo). One of the reasons for that is that I find far too few Sharing stories here. Sharing your lover or partner can be so wonderful, as I've had the privilege of to learn by personal experience. But let me get to your article.

What strikes me is that you use far too much space commenting on stupid hateful stuff from mostly anonymous sources. I'd almost say it appears repetitive, and above all it is something authors have to expect regardless of the category of their stories. As you say: It is a waste of time. So for the author, so for us readers!

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 9 years ago
From Duna first comment

I am BTB fan but I call me not foundamentalist BTB fan as my stories show. A not foundamentalist BTB can enjoy some Reconciliation stories (as OHIO's "Visiting Richard Gronier") I am a banned author in Literotica so as Immanuel Kant said I can say what is nice without any interest (sorry for translation of words of Kant).

First it alI I did a table about the story types of Loving Wives (with some very rare types).

1. Without extramarital affair stories

1.1. True Loving Wife srories (Any sex only between husband and wife)

1.2. Preventing Cheating stories

2. Unwilling cuckold stories

2.1. Consequence stories

2.1.1. Simple Consequence stories (generaly divorce)

2.1.2. Running Husband stories

2.1.3. Murder or serious violance

2.1.4. Escape from Cuckolding Lifestyle stories

2.2. Reconcilation stories

2.2.1. Believable reconcialation stories

2.2.2. RAAC stories

2.3. Revenge stories

2.3.1. Cruel revenge stories (death, murder, serious injuries, poison,using contigous illnes as HIV, SRDs etc., Psychic threatening, to sell wife to abroad, to use electric shock, dye, city nudity, salt cartridge, etc...)

2.3.2. Romantic Revenge stories The beaten husband is the happier after divorce and the ex wife knows this.

2.3.3. Modern Figaro type revenge stories. The smart husband story is not good name for them, because in some story the friend of the beaten husband is the smart brain! (the last 2 types are my favorits).

3. Clueless husbands stories

3.1. Bastard children/pregnancy stories

3.2. Short time affairs/flings stories

3.3. Long time affairs stories

4. Mutual connection stories (A little explanation Both partner active not one sided!)

4.1. True wife-husband swapping stories

4.2. True swinging lyfestyle stories

4.3. True open marriage story

5. Treesome stories

5.1. FMF stories

5.2. MFM stories

6. Willing cuckold stories (I do not think that husbands willing cuckold who wait with the divorce until his children have become 14-18 years old)

Those people who likes these stories should put them subdivisions!

My opinion is the LW hub should divide into two hubs. The MAIN STANDPOINT IS THE HUSBAND LIKES OR ENJOY HIS WIFE HAS EXTRAMARITAL SEX OR HE DOES NOT LIKE THE EXTRAMARITAL AFFAIRS.

So My OPINION IS THE NEXT.

From the 1 to 3 point (the 3. point may be a debated part) and the 4.3. stories should put into 1 hub as a MARRIAGE STRIFE hub.

From the 4 point (except for 4.3.) to 6. point the stories should put into a "Special Lyfestyle" story hub.

4.3. The true open marriage means the partners does not enjoy watch etc. the other's adventure so it is exception to the cuck, swinger trisome or swap stories!

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 9 years ago
My second comment (from Duna)

Anti BTB anti Revenge story fan debate partners do not know what is the true good revenge.

I think because the Loving Wives has a lot of limits and most import effect affects VERY SERIOUSLY the good REVENGE and BTB stories. A MARRIAGE STRIFE hub could remove these obstacle.

The best revenge that when the cheated husband loses the trust problem against all women and found a newer BETTER woman for a successful second (third) marriage and the cheater wife lives in a shitty connection. The revenge is that when the ex wife learn this!

The Loving Wives has such effect that a lot of author stopped at lonely sad ex husbands and a few stories go toward as Vulcez maisterwork BTB Revenge story "How Are You?" or FrancisMacomber's BTB Revenge story "The Six O'Clock News Slot".

In a lot of cases the revenge will be after 5-10-15 years mainly at kids or grandkids.

(I wrote 2 stories where the main revenge/BTB the cheater ex wife can not look at her grandkids!!!!)

A Marriage Strife category could show to recover from trust problem with women.

The Reconciliation and TLW could be the normal part of a MARRIAGE STRIFE hub!

I do not like the sad ex husband stories and my all Revenge-BTB stories do not contain sad ex husbands!

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 9 years ago
My third comment from Duna

My personal ideas.

1. True Open Marriage story a good example: RichardGerald "On the Lam"

2. I wrote I have 2 BTB/Revenge stories where the main BTB is the cheater ex wife could look at her grandkid. I published "The Two Wimps" and I got a feedback where my reader wrote I was cruel not to let the cheater ex wife to look at her grandkids.

I think this feedback can show not to allow the cheater ex wife to look at the grandkids could be similar BTB as to sell into Central American Whorehouse.

Personaly I do not like such stories.........

maddictmaddictalmost 8 years ago
its about participation

Stories of every kind and quality, some of the most fun is the comments. Madmen is the finest writing on tv I've seen, and Matt Weiners comment and insights were as good or better than the show.

A new writer to lit worried she wasn't getting many comment I mentioned there are stories with over a million views and less than one hundred comments, so you are ingood company.

I'm in complete agreement literotica is a unique site for some very nasty contents, and I'm certainly getting my moneys worth. Nice backhanded comment thanks 30 rock Jane krakowski /Jenna Maronnie

I was thrilled to get some response(8) for some of my more coherent comments *~* shocked is more accurate.

spankedboyspankedboyabout 7 years ago

I read your whole article and pretty mucha agree with everything you said. Creating different alts for different genres is time consuming and who has time to manage two accounts? Easier to just develop a thick skin for the comments. Though I gave 5 stars, one suggestion to improve this article would be your thoughts on what you would like to see on the site to make the comment/author interaction process better.

I myself write in two genres (BDSM and Loving wives) and I can tell you BDSM has much polite, sophisticated and knowledgable commentators as a whole. With my Loving Wives series, I have two characters (two series) and one of them has lots of fans who will defend against hateful anon comments. The other - not so much! I do interact with some anon comments, but over all let them be.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 7 years ago
A Question

A good article, which raised some interesting points, but in reading it a question came to mind...

Early on in this article, under the section entitled 'What Exactly Happens Out there?', you imply that you are the same Laurel who passes story submissions for posting here on Literotica: "...wait patiently for your submission to be cleared by yours truly (Laurel), and doze off to a night of fitful sleep".

Yet later on, you go on to refer to 'Laurel' from a third-person perspective: "...contact Laurel through a Private Message on the Literotica Forum. She'll wave her magic wand, and voila!"

So my question, if it's not already obvious, is this: are you, or are you not, Literotica's very own Laurel..?

Of course, it makes no difference to the quality of your article whether you are Laurel or not, but such a contradiction in terms has me rather curious now...

Warmest Regards.

- Once a Grey Squirrel, forevermore a Yellow Trumpet

Sammael BardSammael Bardabout 7 years agoAuthor
Re: A Question

Dear Grey Squirrel/Yellow Trumpet,

I meant 'hers truly'. I've chatted with Laurel occasionally and there's no way I'd talk to myself that fluently.

Either that or my schizophrenia might be kicking in.

Yours truly,

Not Laurel

AnonymousAnonymousabout 7 years ago
The Answer

Ah, well. That clears that up then!

Thanks for clarifying. Thought we might be dealing with a real-life 'Split' (the recent James McAvoy film) for a minute there!

Warmest Regards.

- Once a Grey Squirrel forevermore a Yellow Trumpet

hallamhoghallamhogabout 7 years ago
Great Advice

I have a couple of draft stories in queue and have been contemplating publishing. I appreciate you taking the time to share this (both parts). There are several points you mention that I was wondering about (editing, scores and comments). You've provided some great advice and some food for though. Thanks.

PoesproppiePoesproppieabout 5 years ago
Thank you for these two essays

I am in the process of penning a story which sort of morphs around three distinct categories LW NC & BDSM. It does fall mainly in the loving wives category though.

I have made a few comments in various categories some under my own member name some answering trolls as anonymous. Your pointers on comments have also made me think a little deeper.

Thank you, for taking the time to expand on your thoughts and what you (and indeed similarly I in some cases) find enjoyable. I never cease to be utterly amazed at the level of vitriol on the one hand and literal stupidity on the other contained in some feedback. Your views on this have heartened me thank you.

CrazyDaveTrucker60CrazyDaveTrucker60about 5 years ago
Nice to know someone thinks about us riters!

I have noticed that loving wives category is like a battle zone. Ther are the BTB crowd, which more often than not I find myself siding with, and the RAAC guys , always looking for that happy ending. And lets not forget the pro/con cuckold factions. I guess to each his own. I find the stories interesting when the author walks the line between the extreme viewpoints. Probably where reality would be, IF ANYTHING ON THE SITE WAS REAL! Everyone seems to forget this shit is supposed to be fantasy.

That's why a lot of what I write is over the top! Hell if they hate it, GO READ SOMETHING ELSE! Thanks for the essay!

chucksavedchucksavedover 4 years ago
A Bit of a Misnomer

The irony of how unloving some of these 'Loving Wives' actually are isn't lost on me. I know, 'a work of fiction', they say but some have to be based on a true story, life imitates art, after all. I began reading these tales in order to understand the dynamic going on there and ask poignant questions as their usual course of action seems alien to me. I'd love to ask 'Is that erection a sexual turn on at the sight?' 'Or is it primal caveman programming driving you to fuck her again & let the opposing sperm fight to the death?' I have to believe that some of these men are playing the role of willing cuckold to mask the cowardice to confront followed by the beating she clearly isn't worth taking.

A friend showed me this amat hotwife video where the beautiful blond is getting mercilessly drilled by 4 or 5 very eager & over-proportioned black fellows while hubby filmed it for the website. I clearly saw his own self-aggrandisement in barking orders to the group so he can get 'good shots' and all of them, even the wife, shake heads & roll eyes. At this point, they're all just putting up with him to keep from pounding on the door forbidding them from continuing. I bet by now he's had his bitch card pulled. Hell, by that point, he didn't even believe his own bullshit.

Naughty stories are fun and all, but is it realistic for a frustrated wife to blame then loathe & ridicule her hubby for having a small dick when he had nothing to do with it? Then, princess size-queen, of the shallows simply falls before her new guy(s) and worship and adore his/their dick(s) when he/they had as much to do with growing that prodidgeous sized lung puncher as her hubby had growing his?

Grow some muscles and build stamina and I'll give you a pat on the back & an 'atta boy' seeing as how you did that through hard work. Brag about hitting the pick 6 in the genetic lottery and I'll call you an asshole, you didn't earn it, tripod, so STFU!

AnonymousAnonymousover 1 year ago

"Never argue with an idiot. First, they'll bring you down to their level and then beat you with experience." True wisdom indeed. That nugget alone is worth a 5* rating.

"rare as diamonds in a goat's ass" Not only wise but funny too! You are one of the best for sure. Many thanks for a well written, interesting essay.

Anonymous
Our Comments Policy is available in the Lit FAQ
Post as:
Anonymous