All Comments on 'Chasing An Elusive Conversation'

by wakingDown

Sort by:
  • 2 Comments
greenmountaineergreenmountaineeralmost 9 years ago

Congratulations on the editor's choice designation, wakingDown. This was nice and tight, nothing superfluous in it. "You waltzed easily through reason" is a killer line, particularly right after "hungry cannibal."

"A chase that I have loved so/and sweetly hated all the same" was the high point. It occurred to me that the poet could have been talking to himself as much as he could have been talking about another person. I like that. It made me use my imagination.

"On a puff of fine spun" IMO was good enough to prevent "bullshit" from sounding like cliché, which it often is. I'm not being prudish about the word. It's just that I don't think it's as effective at demonstrating your scorn as are "waltzing" and "cannibal." It would be interesting to see if the line could be worked in some other way while keepin "puff of finely spun;" maybe not, so take my comment as a bite-size quibble about this well written thought provoking poem.

AngelineAngelinealmost 9 years ago
Congrats on the E

I agree with GM that this is a well-deserved E. There are no missteps in the poem, it has some amazing lines ("waltzed easy through reason" really grabbed me, too), and those long rhyming third lines give the poem continuity and symmetry. You're good with words, too. :)

Anonymous
Our Comments Policy is available in the Lit FAQ
Post as:
Anonymous