All Comments on 'Sonoran Harmony'

by legerdemer

Sort by:
  • 5 Comments
greenmountaineergreenmountaineerabout 8 years ago

Loved the poem; title not so much , Mer.

S2 is incredibly powerful and effectively seguays to resolution in the final couplet; nice, tight, economical use of words.

2 infrequently used words juxtaposed together in the title, however, is a little like fingernails on a blackboard to me.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 8 years ago
Too beautiful!

I can picture the color of burning rocks, and I absolutely love the final line. So good.

AngelineAngelineabout 8 years ago
Love it on the forum; love it here :-)

I may have already said this to you, but your poem has a "Lake Isle of Innisfree" quality to it--the sense of a place where one finds peace. That is just a lovely sentiment to me.

Two nitpicks: 1) I agree with gm about the title but because I feel like "Quietude" projects too much info about what's coming. You could use something like "Afternoon" instead and then let the poem work its magic. And 2) maybe it's me but I think "moans" injects something that doesn't fit the poem--sorrow or passion. Something musical like "trills" or "pipings" might work better...

Just my opinions. Really enjoyed the read.

greenmountaineergreenmountaineerabout 8 years ago

I stand corrected on my earlier comment, Mer. I didn't make the geographical connection with Sonoran and should have. It wouldn't be unfamiliar to a reader in your neck of the woods, so to speak. I do think, however, Angie makes a good point about Quietude.

legerdemerlegerdemeralmost 8 years agoAuthor
History, for clarity

The original title of this poem was Sonoran Quietude. Feedback from poets I respect stimulated me to look for a different, perhaps better title, and here we are... This was in the "kill your darlings" vein. Yes, sometimes.

Anonymous
Our Comments Policy is available in the Lit FAQ
Post as:
Anonymous