All Comments on 'The Pillar in the Garden'

by dr_mabeuse

Sort by:
  • 19 Comments
AriosoAriosoalmost 20 years ago
Doc, this is what sets you apart from the wankers

Very rich and heady prose, Doc! Just the right blend of bawdiness (loved the idea of farting Bach cantatas) and reverence. And although I suspect that most visitors to Literotica aren't plumbing the depths of the Reviews & Essays section, this little treasure is the most forthright explanation of why your erotica breathes life and swells out beyond the flat computer screen. You do see the teeming layers of mystery and life that connect sex to something beyond the mechanics of grope, thrust, spurt. Of course, this comes through in your stories, but anyone who ventures into this dizzying essay will simply appreciate everything you write all the more. Light-bulbs will be going off over heads all across the continent.

At some point, everyone comes to his or her own idea of what makes the world tick. For me it's music, rich harmonies -- but you've definitely persuaded me that your variation on the theme is a compelling one. Bravo, maestro!

Cheers,

AriO

p.s. -- The one point I'll quibble over is your claim that women haven't ever seen their vaginas. Heh...I can tell you that in at least one case, that's not true. We're just as curious about our bits and pieces as men are. Try posting this as an open question at AH and see what sort of responses you get...

lucky-E-levenlucky-E-levenalmost 20 years ago
Crossed My Eyes and Dotted My T's!

There really isn't anyone that can describe a single thing as 'all encompassing' and 'miniscule' in the same sentence, the way you do. The Pillar in the Garden was the center line of the Yin and the Yang for me, as well as all black and white in between. I don't think it's ever taken me as long to read two lit pages as it did with this piece, but along with my irritation at having not picked up the meaning of the sentiment the first time through, I felt it was important and was compelled to go back and read the misread sentence/paragraph again. Compelling and irritating all at the same time. I don't mean this to sound cryptic, but that's largely how I felt while reading. And yet I was somehow attached to the message which, while said many different ways, was unmistakably central and gripping. Before I circle this bush again, I just want to say that I enjoyed so much of this work in parts, that it's impossible not to say the whole thing was a success. (My personal favs were the sunset and the moon on the face of the sea at night.)

Couldn't help but think of an old saying: 'a place for everything and everything in its place'. Nice work, Doc. As always.

~lucky

cookiejarcookiejaralmost 20 years ago
Dear dr...

No fancy critique, only awe at your writing skills. Just an an incredible story, of course coming from you that doesn't surprise me.

SlickTonySlickTonyalmost 20 years ago
Compares to Solomon

I loved this. It is beautiful. It almost made me cry. I wish other people besides us could read it. It's one of the ones I'll probably come back and re-read.

shereadsshereadsalmost 20 years ago
Extraordinary

A dance of words and images. Effortless to read, like watching a film that moves to music. Thank you for sharing this.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 20 years ago
Can't say anything

That hasn't already been said dr_m. Good luck and please continue. Always E

nymphe delphiquenymphe delphiquealmost 20 years ago
Absolutely loved it.

dr_mabeuse,

What wonderful thoughts, a story combined with narrative, so intense and deeply spoken. Admittedly, I seldom read any stories - other than ones assigned by my English professor - but I do think in the poetic terms that You so eloquently expressed. Spiritually, philosophically, and physiologically. *smiles*

Thank You, respectfully.

delphique

WillsWillsalmost 20 years ago
Incomparable

Extraordinary prose, hypnotically erotic.

AnonymousAnonymousover 19 years ago
loved it.

i loved it!!!!!!!!

sacksackover 18 years ago
possibly one of the best stories on Lit..

and I don't make that statement lightly. Extraordinarily well written, educational and fascinating throughout! Absolutely essential reading for anyone, and I wish I could have given it a "6".

Selena_KittSelena_Kittabout 18 years ago
Blessed

Incredibly profound, eloquently written, and divinely relevant. This is the garden we all walk in, and it is ripe with possibility. The paradox and pain of our knowing, we are special, we are nothing, we are everything, we are god, and god is us. It could be you, it could be me. Yes. It IS you, and me. We are the prayers, every breath and sigh and kiss and look, an offering to the divine. The aching mystery of the universe held in the palm of a writer's hand for two glorious pages filled with breathtaking beauty, a bittersweet resonance. It was a moment and it was a lifetime. What a gift!

AnonymousAnonymousabout 16 years ago
It reminded me a little...

... of Walker Percy's Lost in the Cosmos. Percy was/is one of my favorite "serious" writers. I think he would gave appreciated your essay. Dr_Mabeuse, you are one of the very few envelope-pushers working here.

ciaddictciaddictalmost 14 years ago
Awed...

It almost feels silly to try to say anything here because everything I want to say about this has been said. This took my breath away. You get it, Doctor...you really get it all. The wonder and intricacies of the physical world. The mystery and beauty of the spiritual world. And the way they are all connected. What is just as important...you have the ability to make us all feel it and get it as well.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 12 years ago

God. God god god. I don't know how I got to this page - the internet's funny that way - but I'm glad that I did. You're a beautiful writer Mabeuse.

MojomaggieMojomaggiealmost 12 years ago
Amazing

Amazing...reminds me a bit of Pilgrim at Tinker Creek, but in your own special and inimitable way. Anyone who could give this a one is not only brain-dead, but has no soul.

AnonymousAnonymousover 11 years ago
Your work should be published

Seriously, you're amazing.

Mara12Mara12about 10 years ago
Ode to Life and Sex

...or is that redundant? Rich and heady indeed, dreamy, makes me want to offer up my body to the universe. You are addictive and seductive. My deepest compliments.

AnonymousAnonymousover 7 years ago
WOW

This is so very beautiful and is truth beyond words contained in words. Thank you!!!

AnonymousAnonymousover 5 years ago
Bridging the Worlds of Deep Ecology & Eroticism

...just wanted to thank and encourage your novella. I just visited this site for the first time looking to see if anyone else was working in 'ecorotica' - for lack of a better term. I'll get back to more on this later, as I think I might look around for more in this vein.

"It is in Nature I am aroused, yet enthralled" - Lord Byron

Anonymous
Our Comments Policy is available in the Lit FAQ
Post as:
Anonymous