All Comments on 'At His Majesty's Pleasure Ch. 12'

by lady_temily

Sort by:
  • 40 Comments
AnonymousAnonymousover 7 years ago
Comment gane

How about battlements

AnonymousAnonymousover 7 years ago
feedback

Your storytelling ability is amazing. I dare say im obsessed. Please don't end this story anytime soon!!

AnonymousAnonymousover 7 years ago
Comment game

For the comment game: "jackanape" :P

AnonymousAnonymousover 7 years ago
wow

The first scene with Alexander interrogating that guy was so clever. He is a criminal but I have to give him credit for knowing how to find answers.

AnonymousAnonymousover 7 years ago

Another great chapter. Love this story. Thank you.

Luminessence0Luminessence0over 7 years ago

I hate it when it ends.... I don't want to go back to the real world! Absolutely LOVE the story and constantly checking my email or the site to make sure I don't miss out!

My word would be - conservatory

nthusiasticnthusiasticover 7 years ago
Game words

Fugacious ... Or irenic ... Love the way you involve the readers.

It's just creepy the way the ladies-in-waiting giggled when talking about the blood sports or cruelty; you cleverly demonstrated how pervasive its acceptance in their society truly is.

AnonymousAnonymousover 7 years ago

Really lovely chapter, is this their attempt at pillow talk =))))) Hopefully we can see more of this interaction, Alais has ample opportunities to learn more about Alexander through this. And the wedding with all the gruesome traditions, I think Ser Lucas and Duke Nolan will be the human sacrifice, poor Alais. The story about Evelyn's mother made me nervous, hope Alais will be safe with her birth control.

Re: Oh I just read your reply in chapter 11, you two are really teasing me, oh what will she do? I hope she will charm everybody, steal all the attention from him. I can imagine he is seething right now =))))

AnonymousAnonymousover 7 years ago
Huh.

Does this story by chance contain elements of magic/sorcery? That falcon dream really gave me a Game of Thrones vibe and made me think back on Alais' previous joke about witchcraft and the history tidbit about how witches were purged or something.

Anyway, it is almost quite a stark comparison in which Alexander views Alais vs how she really is on the inside. He seems to be somewhat unaware that he is actually underestimating Alais, which just goes to show he isn't infallible...which also somehow makes him more unpredictable, especially since his sadism and temper easily overshadow it.

Love the fort bit. It really showed how much effort Alais is putting in to keep him entertained. I also doubt the threat of treason will stop Alais from continuing to take her contraceptive tea, but I am now even more worried about how His Majesty will react if he does find out.

Also, is it weird that I'd find it weird if Alexander by some miracle managed to redeem himself and become a good person? I feel like that would just undo all the characterization you guys have done for him. I do want their relationship to get better, but not at the expense of either character's personalities. Well, that's mostly wishful thinking on my part so you don't really need to pay heed to any of it.

As for medieval sounding words, all I can think of at the moment are: tavern, wench, mead, harlot...

lady_temilylady_temilyover 7 years agoAuthor
Authors: Replies!

Thank you for all the words so far! Some of this will have funny results!

@ "Feedback"

Aw, thank you! That's so flattering. We don't plan on ending anytime soon either!

@ "Wow"

Thanks - had a lot of fun writing that! Was hoping it wasn't too convoluted, haha. And yes, he is unfortunately pretty good at finding answers.

@ "Another great chapter"

Thank you so much! Love hearing stuff like this. :)

@Luminessence0

Ahh, thank you! That means a lot. And hey, at least the real world doesn't have egomaniacal murderers and random skull candles, right? :P

@nthusiastic

Yeah, to them it's just an everyday thing! Even people like Ethan (the chess friend) just wave it off with exasperation, which is a laughably lowkey response. They all grew up in this culture and it's just treated as rote, which unfortunately isn't the case for Alais. And thanks for such creative words!

@ "Really lovely chapter"

Thank you! Yeah, this is their version of pillow talking, haha. Alais is using every opportunity to try to learn something more about her environment and what she's dealing with - not that he's especially forthcoming right now. It's a process! Lucas and Nolan won't be offed immediately because they'll be interrogated and probably die a really slow/painful death...but I'm sure Alexander has his pick of other potential human sacrifices. And yup, we are totally teasing you. :P

@ "Huh"

Yes, magic does exist in this setting, though it's rare and generally lowkey. Definitely some Game of Thrones inspiration during the falcon bit (which we hinted at with the "Queen's Landing" reference, haha). It won't play a huge role in the story, but it may help push things here and there. Agreed that Alexander is underestimating Alais - and also that he's not infallible! He has no clue about the tea right now, for example. He does distrust her, of course, but he doesn't realize the extent to which she's dedicated to her role. I like that you viewed Alais's fort construction as a means to keep him entertained. Alexander considered it pretty whimsical/amusing, but it was probably more calculated than he suspects. Aaand I can't get too into what will happen with Alexander's arc, but I do get what you're saying. I had similar qualms in Pride and Prejudice because I felt that Darcy became too abruptly good at the expense of his proud/aloof characterization from before. I mean, it was much less drastic there, as Darcy was faaar more of a good person than Alexander, and the shift was arguably not so much a change in his personality as it was a result of letting Elizabeth see his true character. Even so, I felt like a lot of his characterization from before disappeared in a way that made him less interesting. Or maybe I just like assholes as protagonists, haha. Anyway, sorry that was a huge tangent! But suffice to say we understand the concern and have discussed it between ourselves too. You'll have to let us know what you think of our choice when it comes!

@ "Where are the Horde?"

Oh, we thought it was pretty obvious this took place in a fantasy world, given the fake kingdoms and rulers! ;)

Opensesame54321Opensesame54321over 7 years ago
Really enjoying the story

And can't wait until the next installment.

I'm surprised that Alexander, as aware as he is of what happens around him, has not picked up her special tea. I keep thinking that maybe he has somehow replace it with something else and she will be surprised to find herself "with child". I'm curious as to who the other traitor could be.

As to possible words to be used:

Corpulent

Dunnock

Dunt

Keep up the great work!

candysillycandysillyover 7 years ago

You both never ceased to amaze me. I am so happy to find such high quality writing on this site and the plots you weave suggest your intelligence level...so interesting! I am captivated and hooked as ever. This chapter got me thinking who could be the close associate colluding with the assassins? His close friend the duke? Lol....I am lost with word on that one and the ex lover whom he so easily discarded...I can just imagine alias Predicament when Alexender finds out her herbal tea! Treason for sure...

For the words- covet/covetousness and ardour ;) ps. Waiting for alexender's jealousy to explode in the future :p

Eve86Eve86over 7 years ago
My word is...

Hufty-tufty: a person who brags about his achievements or possessions; a braggart.

AnonymousAnonymousover 7 years ago
Anon from love chapter

I forget your comment game :)) My word is audacious. I have more questions: where are Alais's parents? I have never seen them mentio ed in this story. I'm also curious about Alexander's parents. His father seemed to be a pacifist king, while his mother seemed to be more more decisive.

AnonymousAnonymousover 7 years ago
Still awesome

Not that that's surprising your chapters are always awesome. Loved hearing from Alexander's POV because it can be somewhat hard to understand what he 's thinking but the same thing could be said for Alais, so I guess that means there a perfect match! I love how smart Alex was in this chapter with the wine and love how you perfectly blended the sex with good story telling. Also, I like seeing Alex getting slowly upset and jealous by her fake love (i don't think he even realises it). Keep up the good work can not wait for the next chapter.

And for your word game how about the word "mesmerism".

QueenOfLoveAndBeautyQueenOfLoveAndBeautyover 7 years ago

Is she a skin changer or warg? I hope she can use the sight of ser swoops to her advantage!

QueenOfLoveAndBeautyQueenOfLoveAndBeautyover 7 years ago
Describing physical details using modern words, or omitting them all together

...I think this is why some people think it doesn't sound very medieval. You guys are very descriptive in painting a picture of how people feel, facial expressions, conveying a mood or setting a tone and even giving us wonderful insight into the minds and thought patterns of the characters. Everything is so descriptive. You give character to inanimate objects even, (like description of the crack in the floor that the wedding ring either fell in or almost fell in). It's not the lexicon you two are lacking, because it's there, it's the nomenclature, or vernacular. And I wouldn't even call it lacking, because some of those other descriptors aren't necessary for the story - it's just fluff. Anyway, many sensory/visual details are left to the imagination, and modern imaginations tend to imagine modern things. Here are some examples of what I mean.

Are there rushes? Especially in the dining room

Have you guys ever mentioned a chamber pot or privy?

What about small clothes?

She wears a nightgown instead of bedclothes

The description of the castle- I think it was only implied that it was grand, but it wasn't described . What about towers, battlements, portcullis, ramparts, flags with royal crest.

I personally don't mind that the character descriptions are mostly left to the imagination, and I sort of like the idea that I don't really know what Alias or Alexander really look like, or what they're wearing because I can insert my own ideas of beauty and finery, but if you really want people to imagine medieval things, then you have to be more descriptive and mindful of physical details and insert them here and there.

And to be honest, the lack of medieval details is something that I hadn't really noticed until it was brought up. It was always implied for me as the reader. I'm rambling, you ladies are wonderful, I hope I helped a little..💜

AnonymousAnonymousover 7 years ago
"medieval" comment below

lol I always thought the story sounded very medieval. who said it doesn't? the guy below talking about dwarves? pretty obvious that was a troll dude, and he's the only one. anyway this story doesn't need random references to chamber pots to make it better (??). it already has the perfect level of description and you guys are master storytellers

QueenOfLoveAndBeautyQueenOfLoveAndBeautyover 7 years ago

I could have sworn I read something somewhere about the time period being questioned. You're right though, it certainly doesn't need random references to chamber pots and is perfect the way it is. I didn't mean to sound like a turd :)

AnonymousAnonymousover 7 years ago
Comment Game (And Feedback)

For the game: "Fadoodle" Meaning Nonsense or Foolishness. Or "Nose of Wax" A fickle person.

Comments: Well done so far. Although the possibility of sorcery or "wargs" (People who can use a old type of magic to control / become animals) is tempting, it really shouldn't be allowed to go TOO far. Please dont misunderstand I am indeed a fan and although this may seem like I'm trying to discredit or undermine your writings I'm honestly not. The simple truth is that once people in general, yes that includes us ordinary plebeians you lot, allow for something fantastical or magical to enter our train of thoughts we get rather carried away without ever meaning to. Next thing you know the boy that could manipulate a small candle flame can now summon fiery-infernos-of-ultimate-death-no-matter-what-and-there-is-nothing-you-can-to-do-escape-it-cause-I-rolled-a-perfect-20-out-of-20-so-ha-take-that-logic-I-don't-care-if-I-was-only-able-to-light-a-match-yesterday. See what I mean lol? (Not really kinda got out of hand there I might have just BURNED my own argument [huehue]).

In all seriousness though I do greatly enjoy reading your stories (no not overly for the steamy bits though lets admit it everyone that is a major reason people click on these sites) simply because of the thought behind it and the possibilities it encourages within the plot line. I mean who doesn't love a good story?

-A Fan

AnonymousAnonymousover 7 years ago
Game

Coxswain

It's not dirty! Just a member if a ship's crew, usually the one who steers.

AnonymousAnonymousover 7 years ago
chap 13..

When can we have more???

lady_temilylady_temilyover 7 years agoAuthor
Replies!

Been catching up on replies! Just answered comments on Chapter 10 and also comments sent by email. Apparently some emails haven't been going through recently (according to a thread of the Literotica forum), so if we didn't reply, we may not have received your email. Feel free to send it again!

@Opensesame54321

Thanks - glad you're digging it! Great words, too! You're right that Alexander is generally perceptive and uncannily aware. In this case, though, it's an example of hiding in plain sight - to him, there's nothing that unusual about a noblewoman with a preference for a particular type of tea. That she's doing it so openly give credence to it being benign; if she were actually hiding it, he'd probably be more suspicious. Lastly, contraceptives are generally produced by healers, and the concoction she's brewing is a rare/little known recipe.

@candysilly

Thank you for always being encouraging! You guys say the kindest things. But yeah, we're trying to weave in a couple of plots (along with the sex!), which will hopefully pay dividends down the road. :) There's a few different close associates, who will be introduced during the wedding reception. From there, the mystery will continue! And haha, nice words. Will help us along with describing jealousy, I'm sure!

@Eve86

Aww, that's a cute word. Thanks!

@ "Anon from love chapter"

Alais's parents will be a plot point later on, but the public story is that they both died at sea when she was very young. As for Alexander's parents, you have the right of it from what's been revealed so far! Alexander's mother totally wore the pants in the marriage (or as much as she could given female roles in this society). And Alexander's father was a complete pacifist.

@fictionsBFF

Thank you, as always! ❤ Yeah, both Alexander and Alais are a bit difficult to read, which is only compounded by the fact that they're not entirely truthful to even themselves. You're right in that Alexander is getting frustrated but also isn't really aware (or wants to be aware) of his own frustration, as that would point to some kind of vulnerability that he does not want to recognize. They're both so messed up, haha. And I'm glad you enjoyed the wine bit!

@QueenOfLoveAndBeauty

Hey, thanks for giving us some thoughtful feedback and analysis of the story! We do make a conscious choice to focus more on thoughts and moods, preferring to let people fill out physical details for themselves (like the characters' appearances, as you pointed out). But you might be right that providing more visual cues can help summon up a more medieval atmosphere. Re: your list, there have been references to slaves serving them during meals - there's a bit of Ancient Rome in influence too - and smallclothes being worn by the characters. We could certainly describe the castle in more detail, though! Either way, you've given us something to think about, which is much appreciated. And never feel bad about giving us feedback! ❤ We're glad you're enjoying the story otherwise.

@ ""medieval" comment below"

Thanks for your vote of confidence! I'm glad it sounds medieval to you - we aren't really going for historical accuracy, obviously (given this is a fantasy setting) but we did want to convey a generally medieval atmosphere.

@ "Comment Game (And Feedback)"

Totally understand your concern! If magic runs too rampant in a story, without restraint or rules, it can overwhelm the plot or rob actions of feeling consequential. There will be some light magic in the story, but I can promise you that our plans for it have always been very restrained. Magic in this world is very rare and generally not powerful. More specifically, magic will add some flavor to the plot but will never be the driving force - the story will remain focused on the characters and their actions/emotions. So not to worry, no fiery infernos of doom coming your way! And thanks - happy to hear our plot managed to draw you in! Another reason we wouldn't want to compromise it with overwhelming magic. :)

@ "Game"

Haha, thanks! For the record, I always found "cockpit" to be a dirty word, when you think about it...

@ "chap 13.."

It's in the works and we'll update you again when we're closer to finishing!

AnonymousAnonymousover 7 years ago
A story so well-crafted I'm actually following and commenting

Really, you two have top tier talent. Genuinely clever characters and just the right amount and type of detail to imagine the scenes smoothly.

Random words: cats (cause you gotta have them), chamberlain, laceration, lily, lilt

cantfightfatecantfightfateover 7 years ago
Lots to love still.

Our King is being a little too nice recently, and though I've been grateful, I'm also become more and more tense, while waiting for the other shoe to drop. Poor Alais is handling that pressure with poise and grace. I hope he doesn't sacrifice someone from her country just to get a reaction out of her.

Looking forward to more.

AnonymousAnonymousover 7 years ago
That description of the wedding dress

Kind of reminded me of Jennifer Connelly's dress in Labyrinth (the movie with David Bowie as the Goblin King). Makes me wonder if you have specific visual references that inspire certain outfits/settings here? Like with the celebrity casting a couple of chapters back.

ronelldunnronelldunnover 7 years ago
crazy cat lady

Love the story....big cats do not purr and little cats do not roar, it just not in their genetic makeup...did I mention by the way that I love the story

AnonymousAnonymousover 7 years ago
So good!

WOW. What amazing characters! Absolutely fascinating to get to know them at every turn, everything they say and think is so interesting. I'm especially impressed with this dom/sub chemistry. I have not seen a more respectable female lead than with Alais. She has been completely powerless and she has been so humiliated but she hasn't conveniently just forgotten it all. I think your choice to make her choose this sort of "path of least resistance" is fascinating. I have never seen this done. I too look forward to when she meets the court, and I am absolutely on the edge of my seat waiting to see what she tries to do. Though I'm still not sure what she's after specifically I somehow can completely understand her secret feelings and her desires. I especially love that one scene where he killed the boar and the thoughts that went through her head about how it wasn't a knight that got torn into pieces trying to save her. I thought that was super cool. She is super smart. And I think that Alexander knows she's super smart but I think that she is even smarter, even stronger than he knows. Ah, and she's so profoundly pissed it's so cool. Yeah a person in her position should be pissed, otherwise they're not real... your characters feel so real... I once again can't say enough how much I respect her. I want to be her!! Ah, but I also love the character of Alexander. I think you found the perfect balance between the most attractive male lead for this kind of story and yet still making him actually dangerous and actually scary. Actually a deeply unpleasant person. But in a way that's obviously awesome for their dynamic. You guys have probably really hit the pinnacle with the whole nonconsent / reluctance story type!!!

Thanks for this awesome, awesome story you two!! I seriously can't wait to read more!!!!

lady_temilylady_temilyover 7 years agoAuthor
Chapter 13

Chapter 13 has been submitted into the queue! It's another 4-pager. Literotica is a bit inconsistent over the weekend, so it might be a couple of days before they publish. Hopefully sooner though!

Replies to comments tomorrow. :)

lady_temilylady_temilyover 7 years agoAuthor
Ch. 13 rejected + replies

Agh, the site rejected Chapter 13. (screenshot: http://tinyurl.com/jm8hmjw)

Apparently it's because we can't mention subscriptions - strange, since we've done that before. But oh well, we took out the references and resubmitted it. It goes back into the queue to wait to be reviewed though, so it might a couple of days more before Literotica publishes it. Sorry guys, did not expect this.

Replies -

@ "A story so well-crafted"

Aww, thank you so much! Yeah, deciding how much detail is sometimes though - we want the story to be immersive, but also don't want to bore with excessive information. Glad it's striking the right note with you! And haha, Daisy (writer for Alais) is in love with cats, so your random word is appreciated!

@cantfightfate

Yeah, unfortunately we all know that Alexander is not going to stay nice forever - he just doesn't have the temperament for it, haha. Too easily riled, too prone to toying with people, etc. Guess we'll have to see what ultimately leads to his first break in this pleasant demeanor!

@ "That description of the wedding dress"

We hadn't thought of the Labyrinth dress, but now that you mention it, there is some similarity there! Especially with the elaborate bodice and the volume of the skirts. Probably absent the poofy arms though - maybe something like this: http://tinyurl.com/zrygwcy . We do have a bunch of visual references actually - we've been considering setting up a facebook page to share references like that and trivia about the characters/writing. Still thinking about it!

@ronelldunn

Wow, we're learning so much about tigers, haha! Thanks - we'll change that when we go back to edit. Glad you're enjoying the story!

@ "So good!"

Wow, thank you so much!! That comment really brightened our day! Yeah, we tried to approach Alais's strategies realistically - she's intelligent and willful (even if that's kept under wraps sometimes), but she's also ultimately a survivalist. And from a pragmatic view, the best way to win this conflict is to bide her time, appease her imprisoner, and formulate a strategy while not inviting more antagonism than necessary. That is to say she can be spirited and "feisty" like a lot of heroines in this category, but she doesn't go out of her way to be when she's able to control herself (and when it's so dangerous). You are absolutely right about Alexander's perception of her: he does think she's clever, but he doesn't know the extent of it (for now). And yeah, we didn't want to pull any punches with Alexander - he's a real villain and does truly terrible things. Anyway, glad you're digging the story as much as we enjoy writing it!

lady_temilylady_temilyover 7 years agoAuthor
Chapter 13 rejected again

Chapter 13 was rejected...again, after we took out all references to subscriptions. I'm really at my wit's end why Literotica keeps doing this. We submitted it yet again with a note this time explaining we haven't done anything wrong. If it's rejected a third time, we're just going to have to post the story on some other site.

Admittedly rather frustrated with this process.

AnonymousAnonymousover 7 years ago
Had a similar experience... I just posted it again without changing anything and it was accepted. Go figure.

Stupid editors.

Opensesame54321Opensesame54321over 7 years ago
Me too

I had a similar problem with them on my last chapter. I wound up having to completely rewrite it even though the reason they gave as to why it was rejected was not there (in my opinion). Very frustrating! I hope that you can work out the problems. I am really enjoying your story.

candysillycandysillyover 7 years ago
Oh no!!!

How can literotica keep rejecting! We are waiting for a new chapter every day and here they are deliberately postponing our treats. I am very miffed...hope they rectify it soon. Lady_temily if you shift to another site, do let us know....otherwise it will be a total heart break! Love you both and all the best :)))

lady_temilylady_temilyover 7 years agoAuthor
Thanks!

Thanks for your support, guys! Turns out they finally accepted Chapter 13. You guys were right - we just resubmitted the exact same version and they ended up accepting it. Still not sure what the problem is, but just glad it went through without further problems!

But yeah, if we ever do shift to a new site, we'd definitely let you guys know! :)

AnonymousAnonymousover 7 years ago

I think I have this figured out. Boy o boy. Very good writing.

cmsheaffcmsheaffover 7 years ago
Squitter

Word game entry. My all time favorite word. (Only found in the OED)

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 7 years ago
His sister knows about the tea, I'm guessing.

Not sure if anyone has commented on this yet since I rarely look beyond recent comments but that's my feeling, since she knows about spices and A left her teacups with the drags of tea leaves behind when she dined with her. Not sure how this will be revealed. Thank you both, a very well written story. I'm also guessing, since not much has been revealed about her brother, at some point he will make some strategic attempt to rescue her which will change the peaceful nature of their relationship.

AnonymousAnonymousover 5 years ago
Intriguing

The falcon has added an interesting new element to the story, as has the mention of witchcraft.

Fibroidkey794Fibroidkey794about 1 year ago

The falcon and the dream afterwards can't be a coincidence with the mention of witchcraft too.

Anonymous
Our Comments Policy is available in the Lit FAQ
Post as:
Anonymous