All Comments on 'BIzzare Tales! Gibbous Tendrils'

by Todd172

Sort by:
  • 61 Comments
rightbankrightbankover 7 years ago
another stretch, in another direction,

an homage to a master done well.

Holes? Big enough to write a story in. Unfinished? I hope so.

AnonymousAnonymousover 7 years ago
Loved it!

As a fantasy writing Texan.. Great story. Plot holes only matter if suspension of disbelief fails. You didn't fail. Please continue this. The characters are good and vivid.

AnonymousAnonymousover 7 years ago
Fun

This was a fun story, I do wish there was a bit more of a buildup to the climax, a switch of perspective from Jem to Val or something to add a bit more tension, but this was a fun short story

CSD2CSD2over 7 years ago
barbarians and damsels. swords and magic.

Is what I grew up on.

I would hear more tales about these four.

Bring them back soon.

sbrooks103xsbrooks103xover 7 years ago
Thoughts

"she would be accept" - "she would accept"

This was a lot of fun!

It has real potential for novelizing into a "Game of Thrones" type epic.

AnonymousAnonymousover 7 years ago
God I hope you continue!!!

Freaking awesome!!

Loved it. Perfect escape fantasy.

green117green117over 7 years ago
Tendrils? The critter was a plant?

Tentacles...

Easter eggs if you read the entire collection?

who knows?

Green-something

BoringOldGuyBoringOldGuyover 7 years ago
Great stuff!

I remember buying Canan & Kull comics and loving them. This reminded me of those stories. Keep up the good work!

Todd172Todd172over 7 years agoAuthor
Thanks for the feedback

The feedback tells me what is working and what isn't, so it is really important. I m sure these characters will be back, they're hell of a lot of fun to write. I plan to read Howard's Red Nails again before the next installment just to pump up the volume.

Green - chose tendrils on purpose. I thought of tentacles, but discounted them because, well.... tentacles... naked harem girl.... we've all seen enough Hentai to know where THAT goes. So it's a giant, city destroying, Lovecraftian extra dimensional man eating plant. I can live with that.

crazycujocrazycujoover 7 years ago
Hey!

Conan, is that you? No, well, you'll do! We need some more of this story. Thanks!

mordbrandmordbrandover 7 years ago
Moar

Took me back to my early teen years when I found a box of old weird tales that belonged to my grandfather.

SelqSelqover 7 years ago
Fun read.

So far, no matter what direction you go the story is always good.

Jem and Val definitely seem to have more stories to tell, but you need to tell us more about Asha too. She just seems way too cool to leave in the background.

Again 5 stars and looking forward to your next story.

AnonymousAnonymousover 7 years ago
Don't forget Daddy Dearest

...who traded her for probably worthless trading rights now, in the Pasha s absence. And brothers and a mother...

Lord_GroLord_Groover 7 years ago
Okay, as Howard pastiches go...

...this one wasn't bad. There wasn't enough dripping ichor, though that's really a stylistic thing, and I don't think you EVER used the word "squamous."

Yeah, I liked it. Nice entertaining read.

SkibumSkibumover 7 years ago
Excellent!

I grew up on Robert E. Howard, L. Sprague deCamp, and Fritz Lieber. This was a wonderful tribute, and I look forward to more. I agree with another commentor that these characters have more of their story to tell.

AnonymousAnonymousover 7 years ago
More please...

Didn't expect to like it much, not my kind of genre, but I trust your writing ability and was pleasantly surprised. Growing up poor, I never knew anyone that read pulp mags (so I couldn't borrow them) so I'm more familiar with O.Henry, Aesop Fables, Tolkien, that kind of stuff. This was good though, I enjoyed it.

Bring us more. I'd like to see her father and brothers pay for betraying her, and maybe find out more about her mother, sisters? And of course, continue the story line about Val and Jem, we need to see what happens in further exploits.

Good story as usual, 5 stars as usual.

markranemarkraneover 7 years ago
Yes, More Please

Yeah, there were gaping plot holes. Shit, that never happens on Lit! We expect tightly written plots with ... ah, shut the fuck up. Great stuff. Write more. It's always a good day when there's a fresh Todd story to read.

Tw0Cr0wsTw0Cr0wsover 7 years ago
turn could be into is, and then?

She thinks it might be her father's house?

Maybe it is and he's hiding in the cellar?

The Pasha fled by sea?

Aren't the Westernor a sea power?

Storm113Storm113over 7 years ago
very good!

More please!

newtinmplsnewtinmplsover 7 years ago
Love that the women fought as they could

Although having recently re-read the Tarzan books, Jane became quite skilled at jungle lore and survival, and was always a strong personality.

Yes, I'll add my voice to those asking more of these characters; and being that Val is a little sweeter/more heroic/more honorable than the "barbarian army" norm, it would be nice to get some backstory.

AnonymousAnonymousover 7 years ago
Good tale

This has the potential for a series. Please do more with these four characters. By the way, I have read all of your stories with Pogo, Emma, Grease, and the others. Great stories. Keep writing.

AxelottoAxelottoabout 7 years ago
A short but rollicking yarn, well fit to the genre

A nice departure from grittier tales, I hope you do more with this setting. Thanks for the ride!

teedeedubteedeedubalmost 7 years ago
Yeah

I like that. Jem vs. 'The Pasha'. if you have nothing else to do......

Thanks for sharing...................

AnonymousAnonymousover 6 years ago
Enjoyed it

Very much. Do more

LickideesplitLickideesplitover 6 years ago
Hope that 25 is the magic number

Maybe 25 pleas for continuation will be the trigger for more Jem, Val & Asha ink! Hope so!

rdcyclistrdcyclistover 6 years ago
Maybe 26 will do it!

Please oh mighty scribe?

stephenchapmanstephenchapmanover 6 years ago
Well done

The corruption of youth has a new storyteller. Huzzah!

tangledweedtangledweedabout 6 years ago
Fun

More of this, please.

nthusiasticnthusiasticalmost 6 years ago
Fabulous Fun!

Loved this! Jem deserves some happiness with a good guy after being stuck in a harem. Glad her friend & friend's guard made it out, too. Pretty please continue?

AnonymousAnonymousover 5 years ago
MOAR!

This was AWESOME! more please :)

P.s. Have you written a book yet? I love your writing style, and would totally buy it :)

AxelottoAxelottoover 5 years ago
Nailed it!

The right amount of bold and outre!

Storm113Storm113over 5 years ago
More please!!!

5* of course. You are a very talented writer. Thank you for continuing to offer your work to this site, I really appreciate it!!

AnonymousAnonymousover 5 years ago
This was the last one

I’ve read all of your stories now, hope you keep writing, really enjoy the shack series, I like how the stories intertwine, but don’t necessarily rely on each other. They could all stand alone if need be. Really enjoyed the latest story of needles and Delaney, hope you decide to write about those two again, it feels like their story is just getting started. You could have a lot of fun writing Delaneys character, she has endless possibilities.

Keep it up you have lots of fans out here.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 5 years ago
Yeppers

Please continue... I liked the fact that I could imagine the missing parts in my own mind. I assume you writer types want to spark the imagination of your readers!

TK

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 5 years ago
Very fun read

This is a classic fluff story. It's fun and doesn't stress the brain.

Definitely a story that could be rewritten into a long book or continued for more fun.

49greg49gregover 4 years ago
Good one

Brings back memories of Howard, Lin Carter, Fritz Leiber's Fafhrd and the Grey Mouser. And a host of others.

AnonymousAnonymousover 4 years ago
Gems

Never read Howard, so I can't compare, but it's pretty standard fluff stuff, fun to read, and Val is a great character. Yep, if you can scare one up, another would be great, or you could use this sketch as a chapter in a wider work, or as an outline for a novel. However, you might be better served to use your time expanding the Shack stuff, or maybe TJ.

AnonymousAnonymousover 4 years ago
Jen & Val

More my friend. Delightful bit of tale.

AnonymousAnonymousover 3 years ago
Good Story

Not one of your great ones, but well worth reading and worth 5*. A follow up would be great.

slm59slm59over 3 years ago
I loved it!

More please!

dgfergiedgfergieabout 3 years ago

Nothing like rescuing an appreciative damsel in distress. Nice story,

jimjam69jimjam69about 3 years ago

A very nice fantasy tale! Well done.

johsunjohsunalmost 3 years ago

Had a hell of a lot of fun reading it, again.

Sak77Sak77almost 3 years ago
More in this tale, please.

You've a real knack for writing pulp. Good pulp, if that's not an oxymoron, lol.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 3 years ago

For those who want to throw their money at todd here is a comment that he put in a place where very few would read it.

We have novelized the first three Needles and Delaney stories into an ebook on Amazon, titled, originally enough as "Needles and Delaney." We did that partly because so many have asked us to, partly because it was just something new to do, and partly as to protect the work - there are people who skim sites for stories then publish them as ebooks under false names. Some of the real heavy hitters here have had that happen to them.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 3 years ago

Oh, by the way, I enjoyed the story very much!

SecretLover32501SecretLover32501almost 3 years ago

More please. With a cherry on top.

jneric2691jneric2691almost 3 years ago

A very good nod to Robert E. Howard!⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 3 years ago

conan lesser version lol nice

AnonymousAnonymousover 2 years ago

It's been a while since I read much Howard but this is good and in his spirit. He was good at putting in the necessary exposition in just a short paragraph or two. Just enough to fill in the backstory. This is good as a little more modern take on his tales. It was always the spirit or feel of his work that made it worth reading.

dgfergiedgfergieabout 2 years ago

A fun story where the hero rescues the Damsel in distress and he is generously rewarded. Not bad for a quickie!

AnonymousAnonymousover 1 year ago

Fun. Two grateful harem girls who would happily enthusiastically worship him as their lord and master and a basket of gems ... NIce. Thanks,

KenL60KenL60over 1 year ago

Jem also has a bone to pick with her father for valuing her so little, something she never thought of but with some with her Val.....

AnonymousAnonymousover 1 year ago

Yes, indeed! More, please - the quest to hunt down and exact vengeance against the Pasha, including a bit of back story to close a few of the loopholes in this tale would be entertaining. Then, too, there is the rotten scoundrel of the father to reckon with, with the inclusion of the equally rotten brothers to furnish some physical challenge for Val. The list goes on! I have repeatedly enjoyed all of your stories. In fact, I think I will go back and reread "the girls of Hollywood", especially the convoy scene, for the umptieth time. Can't get it out of my head; don't want to.

oldpantythiefoldpantythiefover 1 year ago

Can't add or say anything more than you did in the Post Production Notes.

AnonymousAnonymousover 1 year ago

Further Chapters are needwed regarding the Questions at the end, plus it needs some sex. The story was well written with the Paragraphs were about the right length.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 1 year ago

A total blast of a story, one begging for a sequel.

AnonymousAnonymous10 months ago

Hey, plot holes are cool (so long as they don't lead to contradictions). Just think how much better "Casablanca" would be without that flashback to Paris, "Psycho" without the Phoenix stuff at the beginning, or the final scene. Trust your readers to fill in those holes for themselves.

OldmantruckerOldmantrucker8 months ago

Be nice if you were Still here Todd. But like others; guests your now * retired* .At least from this site. Be nice for a come back. Maybe ANDHOPanother shack story. Or a totally new one.. if not. Then as I've heard said be4 THANKS FOR THE MEMERIES... AND YOUR STORYS.. HAPPY RETIREMENT.. hope you and yours are well.. thks. 👋👋🤷👍👍🤷💯💯🏆🏆🏆🏆🏅

OldmantruckerOldmantrucker8 months ago

I don't like my phone.. screws up to much ! 🤷🤷🤷🤷👋👋😁

slm59slm598 months ago

Jem and Val definitely need a return!

Anonymous
Our Comments Policy is available in the Lit FAQ
Post as:
Anonymous
userTodd172@Todd172
4171 Followers
I write my stories to relieve the population pressure. Too many people banging around in there and the only way to get them out is to write them out. There's a bitter ex-Navy Master Chief living next to a quietly desperate tarnished Russian angel, who is trying to keep her sou...

SIMILAR Stories