All Comments on 'Fanny Hill Comes Again'

by jcleland21

Sort by:
  • 3 Comments
gordo12gordo12over 7 years ago
Oh boy

I remember reading those paragraphs when I was a young teen. I got a copy from somewhere and used to read it for whack off material. There wasn't much else in those days unless you could get hold of playboy or penthouse.

Talk about a blast from the past!

sxgrl69sxgrl69over 7 years ago
More please

Do they meet again??

Dark_StormDark_Stormover 5 years ago
Ye Olde Victorian Smut

I never read "Fanny Hill", so it was nice to read a few excerpts to see what it was like. I like my Victorian smut to be a bit more straight forward than that. Still, you have to admire the eloquence of language used in that age, something we seem to have lost the art of in our own times. There is a whole list of exotic/erotic nouns and verbs that have been all but lost to the modern audience.

While I appreciate the scenario of two people getting turned on by reading erotica together, I feel that it is somewhat cheating to post so short of a story that is half made by quoting from another author's work.

As another commenter mentioned, I, too, grew up getting off to Victorian smut. There were a few shelves in my local (now long-gone and lamented) B. Dalton Bookseller that had books of erotica. I made many a purchase from those shelves when I was a young man. My favorites were almost always by some "Anonymous" Victorian author. Many are classics of the Victorian erotic genre, such as, "The Altar of Venus", "The Way of a Man with a Maid", "My Secret Life", "The Romance of Lust", "Eveline", "Astrid Cane", "The Pearl", "The Oyster" and many others, as well as the aforementioned "Fanny Hill".

It's nice to know that our supposedly staid and proper ancestors were actually writing, reading and getting off to some high-quality, exceptionally well-written, and very hot porn. You will also find that some kinks and gadgets you may think are of modern invention were being done and made over 100 years ago (and probably long before that). These Victorian-era books are now in the public domain and you can probably find many of them free online through one literature project or another, if anyone is interested in investigating the classic erotica of our forebears. I highly recommend it to anyone looking to be (or who already is) an author in the erotica genre.

Anonymous
Our Comments Policy is available in the Lit FAQ
Post as:
Anonymous