All Comments on 'Breaking My Own Rules Ch. 05'

by Chimera44

Sort by:
  • 17 Comments
AnonymousAnonymousover 7 years ago
Thanks!

Great story! So glad you are continuing this. Really enjoying your writing. Flows so well.

AnonymousAnonymousover 7 years ago
Doing good

Wasn't sure I was going to like this story when you first started but I am finding it more appealing now.

AnonymousAnonymousover 7 years ago
Great story

I have enjoyed this, I love that Tom backed off when she was scared and told her why. I hope you keep going, your writing style shows well thought out processes and does a good job of engaging the reader.

HukilauHukilauover 7 years ago
Thank you

You continue to write a compelling story. Dying to fnd out more about the Dr. Thanks again for the short wait!

Deejay121Deejay121over 7 years ago
Compelling story

as another comment thanks for this entry it was worth the wait. Love how you have portrayed the "denial" with Steve and the consent with the "doctor". I know just how this feels, to have one that doesn't know how or what to do, and another that can take you to the edge and keep you teetering their before taking you uncontrollably beyond that point. Amazing please keep the chapters coming even if we have to wait a while. Thank you.

AnonymousAnonymousover 7 years ago
Still great

Great new addition to this story- hope there is more. The story is very compelling.

AnonymousAnonymousover 7 years ago
Hoping it doesn't eggs end soon...

No idea how long you are intending this story to go on for but I'm hoping for many chapters. I didn't start this series expecting to love it but I'm desperately hooked.

verbicideverbicideover 7 years ago
Hmmmm

I'm left fairly unmoved by this story for a few reasons. Her friends, who are merely labels, not characters, seem more like screeching harpies than actual friends, especially Blondie.Maybe it's just her skewed perception of reality that makes them seem this way, but these are a trio of unsavory women.

Any man that ends that many sentences with "cherie" is a pretentious prick, even if he's Cajun or French. Not to mention this guy violates the three cardinal rules of anyone really involved in the lifestyle: Safe, Sane, Consensual. He pretends at the last (but he put a tracking app on her phone without her knowledge or permission, plus stole the key to her apartment). The second, his behavior leaves seriously questionable and he without a doubt is not a safe Dom for any sub to be involved with.

Finally, the lead character seems too detached for any of this to have any real emotional heft. More than a sub, struggling with her identity, she seems to be borderline sociopathic and perhaps borderline personality disorder by the way she relates to the world. My own opinion is she might be submissive, but before that can be addressed, she needs serious therapy for her other psychological issues.

From a technical standpoint, the writing in this story is pretty good, but none of the characters are particularly interesting and most are downright unlikable. That being the case, I gave it a solid three stars.

AnonymousAnonymousover 7 years ago

Love it! The character development and story is great! I hope we get to find more about Tom eventually, please post the next chapter soon!

sshh1sshh1over 7 years ago
I like it

I like the story and the characters. But there's not much character development. The sex is great but it lacks dimension because I'm not invested in the story. It would be a better story if you gave the main characters some complexity. More background info, more conversation between the two main characters. And the whole him moving in the same apartment building through me off. Why not build them up to a relationship so he can move in. And why does he leave after every scene when he's suppose to care about her well being. I think when it comes to bdsm, you're either playing with a partner or you're in a relationship playing with your lover; this story leaves me confused as to which one it is because it has elements of both.

visioneervisioneerover 7 years ago

Excellent chapter. Contrary to earlier commentators, I find Sky to be a well-rounded character, and her supporting cast does what needs to be done to help tell Sky's story. This is a thoughtful D/s story, and I am looking forward to its continuation.

RunsAmokRunsAmokover 7 years ago
Re: Verbicide

Another interesting chapter, Chimera! The ending was surprisingly sweet. The dialogue between Tom and Sky was very good. The sex was satisfying.

Verbicide - in some ways I agree with you. The relationship depicted in this story is one that can only exist in fantasy. It depends on Tom having an intimate knowledge of where Sky's mind is at (as shown in this chapter, where it felt like he'd been reading her diary during the initial discussion) as well as events working out 'just so' in order to keep Sky coming back. In any real world enactment of this, the female would be sent running never to return. She'd be right to do so too. As you said, Tom isn't practicing 'safe' one tiny bit. But in this world of fantasy, Tom can be near prophetic and we can all shiver as events dance almost directly on top of the line without actually crossing it. It's seriously dark chocolate, but it's a delicious chocolate all the same.

I do disagree with the comments about lack of character development, however. Sky's habit of not even giving her friends real names makes them feel very two dimensional. But one of the reveals in this chapter was that that was done deliberately as a means to make the primary characters feel more real. The lack of depth in the side characters makes the growing depth of Sky and Tom stand out that much more. I was intrigued when I realized it had been deliberate, and it turned a weakness into a strength. Last chapter, I would have agreed with you that the side characters didn't seem to have any depth to them. Now it comes off as being Sky's interpretation of her world, which actually adds a whole new level of psychological depth to her character. Is she well rounded? No. I'm don't think she could even be considered to be in good mental health. But she sure is interesting...

I think Sky's narrative must be viewed with a critical mindset. Some of the sex with vanilla man felt gentle to the point of satire, or perhaps to the point of being a caricature. Something tells me that if we could compare the "actual events" of the story to Sky's narrative retelling of those events, we'd see that Sky's narrative was skewed. But I think that's one of the things that makes her character so interesting. Sky's world is gray and flavorless, except where it's intensely colorful. Her labeling of the people around her demonstrates that she views these people in terms of what they mean to HER, and how they are relevant to her. Verbicide called her sociopathic, and that IS sociopathic behavior. But nobody said the protagonist of the story had to be Nice. To me, this the tale of two people who somehow managed to be functioning members of society while still being rather mentally unbalanced in their own way, and how they found and hooked up with each other. Along the way, the reader is treated to a story which carries a vibrancy and intensity which benefits from the primary protagonist's otherwise uncolored and bland view of the world.

All of which bring me back to the point that I'm SERIOUSLY impressed with the author's skill in terms of the internal and external dialogue of this series. Well done, Chimera!

AnonymousAnonymousover 7 years ago

Not as good as the prior chapters, but probably a "set-up" for the remaining chapters, when Sky realizes that her willingness to conform to Tom's demands are really satisfying to her.

AnonymousAnonymousover 6 years ago
100% relatable

Sky's experience with VanillaMan was the most relatable thing I have ever read.

AnonymousAnonymousover 6 years ago
50/50

I normally don't make comments that might harsh someone's buzz from a steamy good read but this isn't posted in Non-Con and triggered red flashing lights for me.

While I know this is just an exciting hot fantasy there are real people who read them and get the wrong ideas that have real life consequences like injury (both physical & mental) and prosecution & incarceration.

The vanilla scenes with Steve were really well depicted and remind me of more than one attempt to find satisfaction in a vanilla world but the relationship between Sky and Tom is just unsafe kinky sex with no communication or safe words.

The nurturing control with his measuring out the amount of wine she's permitted while making her eat for her own well being was barely touched on. That's just one example of the kind of care needed to be shown for a sub to build trust. Submission needs to be earned just as in a vanilla relationship. I need to know my well being is first and foremost for true submission. Complete surrender of ones self in service to the wrong person who hasn't earned it is dangerous and not a game.

For most Dominants and submissives sex is only one aspect of the dynamic. In fact for many sex plays absolutely no role. There are many kinds of relationships in BDSM Master, Slave, Dominant, Submissive, Daddy, Little, Pet, Top, Bottom, Switch, Play Partners, Scene Partners..... Exploring who you are can be exciting as long as it's done safely through communication, negotiating limits & boundaries while using safety guidelines that have been developed kind of like best practices in the work place.

Go ahead and read this with the tingles of pleasure it's meant to instill but if it's something you're truly drawn to then do your research and be safe.

AnonymousAnonymousover 6 years ago
I'm missing the human elements

The complete lack of 2-way conversation is a turnoff for me. I've read so many stories that stress the need for open and honest discussions, safe words, and all the other pieces of safe, sane, and consensual play. Tom's "hush, be still, and let me do what I want" style" is scary and dangerous. Sky should see red flags flying everywhere. She and Tom are damaged and I don't see how much good can come from this relationship.

Chimera, this is a terrific piece of writing. You have a good imagination. I want to see you work this so there are two happier, more adjusted, people. I'll keep reading. -- shemar

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 5 years ago
I'm rendered speechless..

Never has a story captured my attention on so many levels. Suspense, yes, action, yes, drama, yes, but Sky's playful musings exquisitely threaded throughout her internal dialogue are a real treat for this reader and a master stroke for the author.

Anonymous
Our Comments Policy is available in the Lit FAQ
Post as:
Anonymous