All Comments on 'The Painting'

by JayDiver

Sort by:
  • 25 Comments
johntcookseyjohntcookseyover 7 years ago
From one painter to another

Very beautiful. Perfect. BTW, stained glass analogy for glazing is spot on.

frazodfrazodover 7 years ago
Made me shiver

Wow, this one works. I really felt it all. Loved the ending.

I hope Denise and her family works out well. Sounded like they needed help.

AnonymousAnonymousover 7 years ago
Memorable story

As the author states, a lot of this story occurs in the narrator's mind. When I first starting reading it, the story didn't quite grab my attention. But reading the author's note, I figured the Big "C" would soon make its appearance, so I kept on going. None of the wives or husbands seemed particularly noteworthy, and the narrator became quite a grump when he got his diagnosis. I thought to myself, "Why keep on reading when the main character has become so unlikeable?" But then I remembered, that getting a cancer diagnosis is extremely disheartening, and it's hard to help those who want to wallow in self-pity. I became a little intrigued when the neighbor's kids showed up, and well, was happily entranced reading about Jake's artistry - how he willed the painting into being, and by doing so, transformed not only himself, but positively affected Denise and Julie as well. And the ending, which hints of reconciliation with Cat, is a perfect ending! Thanks, JayDiver, for a most welcome respite from the distasteful realities of the world (as my Mother says, there's no good news on TV - just wars, killing, crime, hateful politics - only 2 more days, Mom!)

luv2read2

GrandPaMGrandPaMover 7 years ago
Wow!

Wonderful story.

It took the art and painting for him to move beyond his own pain and grief.

it is a story of growth and healing (at least mentally).

Finally, the Love (for his friend, and his friend's widow - and then finally for himself, and his estranged wife) defeats the pain.

...and thanks to your storytelling I now think I know more about art than I'd ever learned in all those art classes during those formative school years. I'd always thought that art was more of a "gift" than any sort of "science", but now I get a glimmer of the science behind it - at least in the way that one must both compose and decompose the image, mentally before rendering it into a final work. Then, to have to take the finally composed image in mind, and to be able to split it up again into the many colored layers to build the final image...wow. cool. ...and way beyond me.

5* easily, and I might like to hear the chapter 2 on this, (the next painting, and rebuilding the relationships, perhaps?) ...but I'll understand if you'd rather not go there.

AnonymousAnonymousover 7 years ago
Like Anony said....

This IS a porn site, Anony, so FUCK OFF!

It was also listed as Non-Erotic so not only are you an idiot, you can't understand the English language, probably written OR spoken and definitely those signs so many in the world interpret without either.

Great story, depth, emotion, so much more than expected.

Only those who've experienced the loss, the talent to create and the need to fight back from the place we sometimes wonder if we'll make it back from will understand fully.

Thanks for a great story.

rightbankrightbankover 7 years ago
JayDiver captured and presented with words what Jake did with his painting

And he wrote a masterpiece.

JayDiver, You were able to build, layer by layer, beginning with the dark, base, and blurred emotions, slowly adding colour upon colour till he emerged and was in the light again. An image in words.

I understand it was an exercise in crafting hope, and stopping where you did was the point at which he has to take the next steps on his own. But we are left with a few loose ends, Denise being the most unresolved. She is at a critical juncture herself, and his insertion in her life for the past few months could leave a chasm with his departure. A prologue uniting Julie, Cat, Kathy, and Denise would be a welcome coda if you chose to add another layer of glaze for the readers. ???

Thank you for this very touching description of recovery and re-emergence.

calgarycamperscalgarycampersover 7 years ago
I can almost see The Painting of Dennis

The imagery used is fantastic. This is not a good story. It is a great story! This will live a long time as one of the best on LIT.

nitrotroutnitrotroutover 7 years ago
Not Often

Not often do I leave a comment good or bad, but this was one of the best stories I have read here in a long time. You touched many emotions in your writing. Well done.

AnonymousAnonymousover 7 years ago
Great energy, emotion, and pathos. A tribute to pain, suffering, guilt, regret, and redemption.

So well done, you would have improved it by leaving out annoying and needless details that distract and mislead the reader. The rock climbing details, details about their jobs, their life style, their houses, their clothes, how many pieces of paper where used where, and what size. A conscientious reader assumes the details are an important part of the story and tries to remember them. When it turns out that the details are just stuffing, or color, or opportunities to show off the authors knowledge about some unimportant hobby or skill, then the readers starts to think he missed something. Or the author is just adding extra words for no purpose. Anyway, what was important to this story was very well told. What was superfluous should have been abbreviated or left out.

Thank you for a touching story; well done.

patilliepatillieabout 7 years ago
Fuck, that is good!

Had me weeping for joy both at his recovery of his soul and the beauty of the words and painting. Damn, Jaydriver, I only read you today when you posted in LW section, but that led to this, which is 5* all the way. Will be reading your entire library the next few days like when I discovered DreamCloud. Looking fwd to more of your work.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 7 years ago
Had me in tears the whole 2nd page...thank you.

A side note on "too many details" opinion above: human lives are full of clutter, and I think these little details, while not on the main plot line, infuse characters with life readers relate to. Too much can swamp a story; that doesn't occur with this one, IMO.

jimgray27jimgray27about 7 years ago
Jackpot

You keep pulling the lever on those one armed bandits and every once in a while they pay so you keep pulling hoping for a Jackpot. Variable positive reinforcement - the strongest psychological conditioning. This is why I keep searching through Literotica stories. Thanks for the reward. Now I won't stop searching and just walk away.

B_BaileyB_Baileyabout 7 years ago
Wonderful

There are times I would like to see and talk to someone I've lost. Wonderful story. 🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟

bruce22bruce22over 6 years ago
Extremely well written and constructed tale

It almost brought me out of my bear den, but I am lousy at Art...

ranec1ranec1about 4 years ago
Mean As!!

chur m8 awsum story

⭐⭐⭐⭐

Privates1stClassPrivates1stClassalmost 4 years ago

Touching

Getting a diagnosis of cancer has upset so many lives. As this story unfolds, we learn how the world has changed for Jake. Great story and superb description. Thoroughly enjoyed this story.

Shmcurdcc06Shmcurdcc06about 3 years ago
Great Story

I had no idea where it was headed until the end.

I have avoided the big C so far. But I have on occasion in the past felt some of the hopelessness Jake felt. I think my way back was much easier for numerous reasons.

Looking forward to reading part 2.

You already know the star count.

AnonymousAnonymousover 2 years ago
Thank You

Just a story to many, much more to some of us! Thank You

nixroxnixroxabout 2 years ago

5 stars and just WOW

What a great story, with so much emotion and the descriptions are so hard to explain - they were just so real.

I don't want to praise your work too much, because you'll get a swelled head and think you are too great to be writing stuff on this website. However, having said that, you need to branch out - you have tremendous skill and it needs to be out there in the world for everyone to see. Just don't forget to write another small story once in a while on this website. KEEP WRITING.

AnonymousAnonymousover 1 year ago

As someone who is going through cancer at the moment and is learning to paint (watercolour) I know how a little of your journey. Thank you for sharing it.

DakotaTRDDakotaTRDover 1 year ago

I found this story to be incredibly touching. Thanks so much for sharing your talent

AnonymousAnonymous10 months ago

Wow. TC Ireland

Boyd PercyBoyd Percy9 months ago

Working your way, inch by inch!

5

AnonymousAnonymous6 months ago

Powerful story, JayDiver, a very good read. I recognize a lot of myself in your main character, the self-pity when life just absolutely shits on you, the overwhelming urge to distance yourself from everyone you care about so you don’t drag them down with you.

Thanks for sharing, JD.

5⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️

XluckyleeXluckylee6 months ago

You did it again. Thank you. 5 stars from

Anonymous
Our Comments Policy is available in the Lit FAQ
Post as:
Anonymous
userJayDiver@JayDiver
229 Followers
Since this is labeled a biography page I thought I'd updated and include an incognito biography that might explain some of my writing style, and stumbling grammar. Plus I'm struggling with writers block and boredom. I was born in the fall of the year at the exact midpoint of t...

SIMILAR Stories