All Comments on 'The Wine Merchant'

by Andyhm

Sort by:
  • 55 Comments
Pappy7Pappy7over 7 years ago
Not bad,

but the story seem just a little off kilter. Like maybe a story told by one of the latest couple starring his wife. I don't know. But on the face of it was a good story with a good outcome for everyone but the other Tom and Martin, which seems appropriate I guess. Like your writing so please continue with that.

rightbankrightbankover 7 years ago
It kept me guessing and wondering

The story is a good mix of drama, intrigue, romance, and mystery with a twist of wine trivia thrown in.

AnonymousAnonymousover 7 years ago

Needs a lot of editing. Missing words, letters left off of words, words in sentences that shouldn't be there, this for example- "I'd be going to be in the Maldives." I mean really? Poor punctuation, frankly I'm surprised the editor allowed you to name them at the start. Maybe if you read it out loud you'd notice it all. All of that kept throwing me out of the story.

After 2 years she didn't take too long to find someone else. She couldn't wait til he was at least buried after she pulled the plug?

WindySwimmingWindySwimmingover 7 years ago
Enjoyed it!

Encourage editing in future work. Errors taint the quality of the content. I'd volunteer, but I want to get my first stories out there before I do any more editing.

bruce22bruce22over 7 years ago
Delicious Tale

Funny that the wife did not pick up any vibes that would lead her to suspect her ex-boyfriend of being possessive or off his rocker.

pcman1950pcman1950over 7 years ago
Gripping Tale

Loving Wife stories always elevate my blood pressure to uncomfortable levels, and this tale was no exception. Lots of suspense.

AnonymousAnonymousover 7 years ago
Ditto RightBank's comments

The better stories have a story line with real life thrown in. Great work...I hope to see more like this.

AnonymousAnonymousover 7 years ago
I like your storytelling.

I believe that the few technical errors can be excused as many can edit, but few can spin an enjoyable tale. I am still awaiting the second chapter of "Trials Of Love" in Loving Wives.

GrandPaMGrandPaMover 7 years ago
Very nice.

All the elements were there - and in the right order, with the correct hue, brightness and contrast settings tuned finely into proper place (and nary a problem with either the vertical or horizontal holds either). :-)

...and bonus points for liking a nice Malbec too.

SouthPacificSouthPacificover 7 years ago
Nice story, but...

...definitely needs much better editing. And, as a New Zealander, I cringed when I saw "Savion Blanc." It is "Sauvignon Blanc."

I'm just glad that, as far as I'm aware, I don't know any crazy stalker types like Martin!

dozendozenover 7 years ago
Good story...

...more than just the sex.

As a keen wine drinker, I cringed when I saw "Savion Blanc". You would expect a wine merchant to know "Sauvignon Blanc".

AnonymousAnonymousover 7 years ago
Finish the TODOM. You still have the second half of Chapter 20 to go. Please.

Another good story, but finish the TODOM. You still have the second half of Chapter 20 to go. Please.

SuthrnlvrSuthrnlvrover 7 years ago
Very nice

A wonderful story, much better than the short single page fast paced sex stories of today. I for one enjoyed it.. A high 5 star rating!!!

AnonymousAnonymousover 7 years ago
I offer my honest criticism. Please don't take it personally.

I think the premise of the story is a good one and the general plot as well, but I didn't really feel it coming together nicely. Almost everything that happened after the accident was so convenient: The manager did a bad job? Good thing all the old contacts are happy to resume business. You don't want him working for you anymore? Good thing he his happy with being helped to find a new job, even though he liked to give himself off as the owner. The travel agent conveniently was the empathic type. Same goes for the resort manager who goes out of his way to bring the unfortunate couple back together.

Jane apparently didn't have her own life seeing that she had the time to help him set up his shop again. Were they even that close? Was it a weekend? And what about Loren's parents? They didn't want to check in again? The "big reveal" regarding Martin at the end didn't feel like a big reveal at all. And the biggest thing of all is the convenience of Loren apparently still loving Tom after two years, and doing everything she can to jump back on the old wagon.

Of course, this is all my personal view. At any rate, I would have expected more trials and tribulations given the situation. I hardly got to read about any of the feelings Tom had or the thoughts going through his mind. A lot of missed potential there, I think. Same goes for Loren, of course. All in all, the characters didn't feel coherent or complete.

And everything felt to be over so quickly. E.g. Tom meeting the manager Tom, next thing he takes Jane aside (Was it her? Does she have anything to do with the business?), and a few sconds later it's the next scene.

I think it could have been an overall great story if the author had taken his/her time to think (or write) about the characters more, their motivations, thoughts and resulting actions. This way it felt like a series of conveniences forming a happy ever after story.

Good effort. Good luck with the next one =)

NeuroBillNeuroBillover 7 years ago
Quite proficient but somewhat predictable

For reasons that I can only ascribe to experience (reading a lot), the description of the car accident presaged and predicted something like a "spurned lover" did it. This predictability lowered my score from 5 (excellent writing) to 4.5 but there is no 4.5 so 4 has to do. Still, I find your writing compelling and at least three of the extended stories 'Trials of Love', "The Weekend", and :A Most unusual Romance" excellent reads (all 5's). I also find it interesting that some of my favorite authors also favor Andyhm so happy holidays Andy and please keep on writing.

VanescaVanescaover 7 years ago
re: dozen's comment on 12/9/16 about Savion Blanc

I don't know anything about wine, but I do know how to use google. Savion Blanc is indeed the name of a wine; it's retailed in a Rite Aid store according to google.

sbrooks103xsbrooks103xabout 7 years ago
@Vanessa

I also googled Savion Blanc, and it DOES exist, but I think the fact that it is sold in Riteway (NOT Rite Aid, LOL!) super markets should tell you something!

The CORRECT name of the wine is sauvignon blanc.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 7 years ago
Funny thing about wines...

In a bind taste test 'experts' couldn't tell that the two wines they tasted were from the same bottle. Wine snobs are full of crap, drink what you like. Even if it is a $13 wine from Riteway.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 7 years ago
Better than most

I liked it. It actually had a plot. More than just a sex story.

SMLlewellyn7SMLlewellyn7about 7 years ago
Good set up, climax a bit underwhelming

I really enjoyed this story. It had a great set up. I gave it 4 out of 5 stars. I would have given it 4.5 stars if i could.

I especially found the beginning and the middle of the story very good. It reminded me a bit of the author's story "The Rings," another clever set up with a wife having an accident and amnesia. I note they were posted in the same year.

But I found the climax of this one a bit underwhelming. He finally finds her on the beach, she's smooching another guy, he's like "Oh fair enough, I guess." And she is "Opps, my bad." It is like she dented the fender on the car.

He doesn't even get mad when he finds out she slept with him.

At least Tom gets mad when she arranges to have dinner with her love, and finally puts his foot down.

Maybe it's just me. Or maybe it's a cultural thing. The writer is British and his stories tend to be a bit low key.

Also the friend who suggests a holiday fling while deciding whether to pull the plug on dear hubbie? That is just weird to me.

All of these things could be fixed with a sentence or two if the author wanted to. But again, maybe it is just me.

Anyway, I look forward to reading more of his work.

Steve

OnethirdOnethirdalmost 7 years ago
Some missing things

Another fun story to read. I was curious about her panic when they had moved her things from the room she was sharing with her "boyfriend", and her tossing something in the trash and shrugging it off. Usually when an author adds details like that there is follow up, but maybe it is just intentional red herrings? Yes, it is weird her best friend would tell her to have a fling while pondering pulling the plug. I suspected a more complicated villain than a crazy ex boyfriend, though- I thought it would be a close coworker of the wife. So, not as twisted or devious as I'd hoped, but fun nonetheless.

ukdukeukdukeover 6 years ago
Excellent.

A great little story. Unexpected ending. I actually thought the wife had done it!

So glad she had not!

AnonymousAnonymousover 5 years ago
Wow

The last person to post is quite a prick. Probably an MRA piece of shit. The protagonist is weak, both emotionally and physically. And anyone who identifies with him is the same.

cybojicybojiabout 5 years ago
I like your

Writing style very much. Think you would do well writing novels. Really like how you tied this story to woodcarvers wife. I would like to say that loren was still married when she let martin in her bed.... two years is a poor excuse. I think, no im sure I would have been less forgiving. 5+. Thank you for your story, please keep writing.

AnonymousAnonymousover 4 years ago
Ehh

I liked it till the doctor said that his wife went somewhere and they couldn’t find her. I think that is she really loved him she would’ve taken a phone or something so I case he woke up she would be notified. What I think is that secretly she didn’t want him to wake up and that’s why she fucked her ex. And tbh I think he should have ended up with Jane or the doctor and left her fucking cheating ass bc they were still married and if she wanted to fuck wait for him to fucking did first

AnonymousAnonymousover 3 years ago
I love a happy ending!

This was excellent. He really did love her and she obviously adored him. The travails of life intervened but they lived happily ever after.

AnonymousAnonymousover 3 years ago

This silly bitch admits to sex with Martin the night before Tom Nolan showed up and then doesn’t beg for his forgiveness on her hands and knees after Martin revealed his true colours by attacking him and confessing to the first hit and run?

Sorry but she belongs in the bin along with Alisha Mac, Mandy Forbes and Alison Peters/Ashley Bell. Preferrably after a well-placed kick in the arse!

johsunjohsunover 3 years ago

Good one. Ignore the hater who think the wife did something wrong. Most would be at a pickup bar within a week of their woman going into a coma. And feel no guilt.

I had a feeling, as soon as I read about the Cop asking him if anyone had it in for him. I suspected that the story would lead to someone wanting him out of the way either for romantic reasons, or to woo the widow and take the business. At first I suspected the wife's roommate.

I enjoyed the story.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 3 years ago

This author often has trouble with endings, but he has a great gift for making compelling stories out of implausible premises.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 3 years ago

Well I liked it a lot.It’s only a story a very well written one but still a story.All these long posts commenting on stuff as though it’s true.Makes me wonder about the sanity of those anonymous

People

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 3 years ago

Good story, if transparent. Please have the punctuation checked. Some sentences make no sense, until the punctuation is worked out! 5*s. Check this out:-

"Caesar entered on his head a helmet on his feet sandals in his hand a mighty sword." -and punctuated:-

"Caesar entered, on his head a helmet, on his feet sandals, in his hand a mighty sword."

Just sayin'. :- )

AnonymousAnonymousover 2 years ago

Eh, the timing was too convenient for everything. I know it's a story just feel it was too perfect. Also he shouldn't have taken her back.

AnonymousAnonymousover 2 years ago

5 stars. A good well placed story.

I thought that it was going to be just another nice cookie cutter ho hum story.

It was a pleasant surprise to find a nice unexpected twist at the end.

I had previously thought that with Lauren being incommunicado that maybe she had a boyfriend, and he/ they had organized the first attack.

Nice to be proved wrong.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 2 years ago

Meh why stay faithful then ruin it when she is trying to decide to pull them plug....that ruined it for me

MJB69MJB69about 2 years ago

Well crafted and believable characters, a story that flows in very well written prose by a talented author. There are well scripted sex scenes that are not over the top, but they fit into and don't dominate or detract from the story.

In the early eighties I briefly joined the "red pen" and proofreader brigade for a small publisher, many if not most of the submitted manuscripts were not as well crafted as Andyhm's. Thank you for sharing your work.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 2 years ago

The scotch is The Macallan.

(There's an 81-year old called "The Reach", it's only £125,000 per bottle!)

ChopinesqueChopinesqueabout 2 years ago

AndyHM's work is so consistently excellent. I wasn't sure if I wanted to read this one, given the little blurb. But a paragraph or two in I was hooked! It's a good, really good read, and the good people in it don't go all sordid. They're just human, with realistic hurts and fallibility, and good is triumphant.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 2 years ago

The author is a talented story crafter, and though I don't agree with his characters choices, he is an entertaining read. However, I am one of those people who are detail-oriented, and the wrong homophone choice (i.e. Sargent, which I could not find supported anywhere, vs. Sergeant, among others) is a distraction and distractions are the reason I don't vote. I will not reward an author for misuse, but I do not want to discourage an author or negatively influence someone who doesn't give a crap about that by giving a lower number of stars Hence, I am left with "the comment".

Marklynda2Marklynda2almost 2 years ago

Oh what a tangled web we weave but love conquers all!

Superb story as always! Again an engaging story with your classic hallmarks of twists and turns and loving sex. I am, as always awed by your and your Muse's multifaceted abilities and knowledge! Thank you for sharing your vision and talents.

AnonymousAnonymousover 1 year ago

I loved the story (sigh), so romantic! I was confused by a few related details that were brought up, but never resolved. There was the facial expression that Loren had when the room move was mentioned and then whatever she threw in the trash. It felt like there was going to be a further exploration of these clues, but nothing was again mentioned. Usually trash trips are not a highlight of these stories, so it sounded like something that was leading somewhere. Did anyone else get a similar sense?

WargamerWargamerover 1 year ago

Great story loved it

5/5

AnonymousAnonymousover 1 year ago

Honestly I don't fault the wife here. She had to make a heart wrenching decision. Dr James got her to delay and go off on vacation. She meets an ex and she thinks it is fate and seeks comfort. As long as it ended there (which it did), then any loving husband would easily forgive. She had two years of pain to deal with. Thr fact that the ex was crazy and drove the car was extra spice.

JustOneMansOpinionJustOneMansOpinionover 1 year ago

Fantastic story. 5-stars. To me it wasn't a top 5-star but only because you Brits speak and write a different version of the English language then American writers. As always, a lot of twist and turns in the story to keep the reader a little off balance and wanting to get a little farther along to understand the plot. Of course, we knew the hit and run was not just a kid out joy riding. The second attack confirmed it. It had to be a jealous boyfriend or lover that may or may not be in league with the wife but. Just when we think, we know the outcome, there is a new turn. Well done.

AnonymousAnonymousover 1 year ago

Well done. An exciting. Journey.

45ACPTo45ACPToover 1 year ago

I’ve really enjoyed your stories, at least the ones I’ve read so far (the author, the radiologist, and this one). I look forward to the rest and thank you for sharing them.

SarahwithloveSarahwithloveover 1 year ago

My god, can you imagine being stuck with the hospital bill here in the States? Yikes!

rayironyrayironyover 1 year ago
This story reaffirms why

You are solidly amongst my favorite authors.

Thanks for writing !

Lyon796Lyon796over 1 year ago

This was beautifully written: the plot and the language. Most fiction requires a suspension of disbelief; however you made this very believable. This is the third of your stories I have read and I have enjoyed each one immensely.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 1 year ago

Loren did nothing wrong. She went off on a trip to make peace that she was pulling the plug when she got back at the end of the month and she had to start thinking about life without Tom. It had been two years with no sign of recovery or improvement. Thankfully Rachael talked her into waiting and to go away to decide or he woukd have died a day before he woke up. Martin was a psycho stalker. Loren had no information about Martin and their meeting seemed fortuitous chance (to her). Her sleeping one night with Martin before her husband arrived is not cheating. Technically yes by the marriage vows but these were crazy circumstances. Martin was ancient history when hubby showed up. Loren only has eyes and heart and soul for Tom. Her greatest gift was her husband waking up and coming to see her as she took a short vacation. She was faultless. Greta story!

AnonymousAnonymousabout 1 year ago

Great story. His wife Loren did nothing wrong. She though he was never coming back and was going to have to pull the plug on him, not wanting him to suffer. She lived her husband. Sleeping with Martin (who staged their meeting on vacation) was not cheating. It was one night and she dropped Martin, when her husband showed up. Her husband is her life. For him it was almost instant. For her it was two years. They love each other and glad they live happily ever after. Cannot imagine the anguish that Loren went through during those years and how it must have broke her heart to come to the decision to take him off life support. Fortunately Rachael got her to wait and take a vacation. However, I would suspect that Loren would need therapy after all of this. Why? She would inevitably feel guilty that her crazy ex, who she barely knew in university, had almost lulled her husband and put him into the long coma, and she was about to pull the plug because of that psychos actions. And to add fuel to the guilt, she slept with the insane, obsessed freak, the night before her husband found her again. Technically she did NOTHING wrong but she will still feel some sort of guilt and need to process that in therapy. Kudos to a true loving wife.

ErotFanErotFanabout 1 year ago

I would liked to have seen more distress during the search for his wife at the hotel. It should have _appeared_ to Tom that Loren was much deeper into the holiday romance than she was. I thought you were going that route with all the apprehensive looks that Jane gave Tom when the holiday was mentioned.

Five stars and Kudos

AnonymousAnonymous10 months ago

It was a pretty well written reunification. It might have been cool if she and Martin had gotten a bit deeper and more intense for dramas sake . A great read IMO.

AnonymousAnonymous6 months ago

Quite an entertaining narrative and mystery.

To wake up out of a time warp and try to piece together you past and key relationships as well as your broken body with rehabilitation.

Personal relationships are more complicated. Nice.

AnonymousAnonymous24 days ago

I was engrossed in the story, which is why five stars are appropriate

JPB NOT BOB

Anonymous
Our Comments Policy is available in the Lit FAQ
Post as:
Anonymous
userAndyhm@Andyhm
2056 Followers
Jan 2023 I’m afraid that for the foreseeable future I’ve had to put hold any work on current and future stories on this site. There is so much going on in my life currently that I’m unable to justify the time I spend writing short stories. Hopefully this will be a temporary h...

SIMILAR Stories