All Comments on 'Play it Again Sam Pt. 06'

by kublicon

Sort by:
  • 325 Comments
FD45FD45about 7 years ago
Oh Jesus Christ!

I hate you!

You left us THERE?

Well done, five stars.

That line of 'I had almost as much time to process the infidelity as I'd been married' resonated very much. It just covered so many marital issues.

I could have used at least a half a page of fall out from his former friends instead of a hearing about it as a plan. Maybe that is the sadist in me. Excuse me JUSTICE. That is the JUSTICE in me.

Yup, the Wall Street reaction rang true. If I had a super secret algorithm to make money in stocks, I wouldn't be sharing it either. I would just make my money and retire to my private island called New Zealand..

Loved the story, Curse you for the cliff hanger.

Write it again Sam.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 7 years ago
Good Job

Enjoyed the story. Would love a follow up. Only criticism is a bit too much exposition. Other than that, well done.

pkmapkmaabout 7 years ago
Great fun!!!

Worth the wait. I looked every few days for the great gotcha and you came through in spades.

Now, I want to represent you for the movie rights!!!!!!! Perhaps a NetFlix series? (-;

Again, Great Fun, thanks.

MajorRewriteMajorRewriteabout 7 years ago
Kudos

Thanks for all the fun. Very creative. 5 stars.

johntcookseyjohntcookseyabout 7 years ago
Fabulously fun

I hope you keep writing. I feel privilaged to have found you. What a great story. *****

Sidney43Sidney43about 7 years ago

Five stars for a great and inventive tale. I wasn't going to comment after rating the story, but only four people had done so and that seemed unfair, so for what it's worth here is my $.02 worth. Another has commented that this would make a great movie and I agree. I suspect the ending could even be expanded if a scene took place in an anonymous room somewhere with two people discussing a theory as to how two disparate citizens separated by everything but time could do what they did. I can see a person asking this question. "What if he didn't make all that money in one day, which is mathematically impossible, what if he made it on the same day?"

Fade to credits.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 7 years ago
Great job!

I can't remember when I've enjoyed a story more. I can't wait for your next offering. Keep up the great work and thank you for the marvelous entertainment. 5 *!

Frank Redmont

JounarJounarabout 7 years ago
5 star story all day long

Not only did you write an absolute epic of a story but a time travel one to boot and a complete page turner. My only complaint is that like FD45 I would of liked to have seen the fallout from our hero's revenge on the ex-friends rather than the ex-company bits.

Well done and looking forward to what you come up with next :)

AnonymousAnonymousabout 7 years ago
Date?

First kudos for an incredible, original (for this venue), very well written tale. 5*!

7/15 for France would be like 7/5 in the US, the day after their Bastille Day.

HOWEVER...per part 5, the terrorists arrive at 03:15 a.m., which would be early Saturday morning of 7/16. All reporting would reflect that 7/16 date for the S. Korean Embassy takedown, not 7/15, which actually is Natl Tapioca Day!!

swingerjoeswingerjoeabout 7 years ago
Thank you

All I can say is: thank you. I enjoyed this story from beginning to end. I knew this final chapter would feel like a bit of a let-down after the last one, but I still wanted to read more of this story. You spent a lot of time crossing T's and dotting I's in this chapter, but I suppose that was necessary. I really like the way you ended this.

Now...the problem is that you've set the bar so high, how can your next story not pale in comparison? This feels like a "Daffy Duck" trick to me, and I'd be surprised if you're able to replicate this trick again. But I've been surprised plenty of times before.

Again: thank you.

boatbummboatbummabout 7 years ago
What An Amazing First Story!

You've really hit this series out of the park! What a lovely twist in the denouement, soul mates drawn together through basic attraction, who then discover a 'shared' past. Sweet!

As FD45 said, a few paragraphs about the consequences for the co-conspirators of the cheating skank formerly known as Julie would have been nice.

This line really got to me: "I'm a romantic at heart, and up until the end I had greatly enjoyed being married." Even though his marriage was a mirage, he was a happy, clueless cuck until it all crashed down around him. Been there, done that, etc. (but not in a time loop).

Please, please keep on writing! You've got a bunch of fans now who want more!

Thanks so much for this tale -- now I'm gonna go back and read it again, Sam.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 7 years ago
Great Read

Nice job!

CooperEssCooperEssabout 7 years ago
Awesome story

Thank you for this cool story.

From my favorite movie to a cool story with a great Plot.

Enjoyed the Reading and pleeeeeaaase continue writing, would love to read the Other story.

javmor79javmor79about 7 years ago
One of the best stories in this Hub

Hands down. In the past month or so, these action packed stories have shown us a new side to loving wives than we've seen. With the same story line being told over and over, it's refreshing to see new imagination brought into the mix. Not sure how many authors could follow in your footsteps and pull it off, but I'd be interested to see more try.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 7 years ago
3*s

Very good read. I was anticipating the reveal of other time looping travelers. How they ameliorate a disaster or attack. Never expected him to hook up with one😗❗

Thank you for a great first story.

I'll be on the lookout for kublicon stories🆒,lol.

AMerryman

LordSlamdawggLordSlamdawggabout 7 years ago
Coffee is for closers!

The tab for kublicon's Unicorn latte is on me . Nuanced " we don't need another hero " ending which sensitively yet firmly closed book on Susan was fairly faithful to Buddhist spirit of ' Groundhog ' day. I feel optimistic Harold Ramis who co-wrote and directed GD almost certainly would have 5 starred this .

Rick and Ilsa ( from Casablanca ) would always have Paris. All Sam and Ivette got were 7 digit bank accounts, apartments adjoining Central Park and will have an awareness of total conciousness when they die which makes them one with the Dalai Lama and Caddyshack's Carl Spackler ( Bill Murray ).

"So we finish the eighteenth and he’s gonna stiff me. And I say, “Hey, Dalai Lama, hey, how about a little something, you know, for the effort, you know.” And he says, “Oh, uh, there won’t be any money, but when you die, on your deathbed, you will receive total consciousness.” So I got that goin’ for me, which is nice."

Full marks * * * * *

AnonymousAnonymousabout 7 years ago
Fantastic Story.

Really, really great 5stars. The only thing I cant get past here is.... After a week as guests of every psychotic agency available the dashing hero and his beloved wife go home and discuss the breakup of their marriage without any thought of all those frustrated psychos who most likely had totally disassembled the home place and left gifts every where to find out how they did it. That punched the story, for me, four years in a time loop and one week as guests and the government agencies just let him go and none of those wacko agents on their own left any bugs?

AnonymousAnonymousabout 7 years ago
Satisfied

I was wondering how you would close out your story with so many options. I see some folks liked it and others didn't. I am squarely in the "liked" it area. Okay, more than just liked it. Loved your entire story. A Five Stars from me. I will be looking for future tales. Thanks for sharing. BK

gmann57gmann57about 7 years ago

The ending was brilliant, Great story

AnonymousAnonymousabout 7 years ago
Best story on this site

Well done.

sbrooks103xsbrooks103xabout 7 years ago
Thoughts

"Yes, I believe you. I believe our marriage is the most important thing to you. I believe you love me. I believe if I gave you a second chance you wouldn't stray again." – How can he believe that? He KNOWS that she has been cheating om him forever, she no longer even feels guilty about it! And friends and family know about it!

“I never meant to hurt you.” – Unless they’re really evil bitches they ALWAYS say that! What do they think cheating on her husband is going to do? Especially with friends and family knowing??!

“As Julie curled into a ball and sobbed” – I’ve said this many times; if they cared that much, why did they do it?

Just a small nit-pick. He doesn’t mention “National Tapioca Pudding Day” until their conversation, but she immediately knows the date. She says she “looked it up,” but why would she have looked it up prior to their conversation?

patilliepatillieabout 7 years ago
Nice job

Everything tied up, t's crossed and i's dotted. A bit of a letdown, given the brilliance and dramatic tension introduced in the prior installments. Looking fwd to what you do next.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 7 years ago
This was a great first story

So now you have got your first one a real gem out of the way. Are you going to follow up with another .you set yourself up with a pretty high bar now what. The women who cheated and the man who turned into batman. Science friction.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 7 years ago
Excellent story and writing. Very well done.

Good work indeed.

I would have enjoyed a bit more of the pain from the cheating wife and "friends". Not saying they needed more than they got, it's just that we didn't get to sample the fallout; there was no satisfaction from watching the cheaters and enablers deal with the punishment meted out. From your story:

"Apparently, who was sleeping with who was pretty much an unending discussion in the billing offices where she worked. Hearing about the promiscuity in her workplace wasn't exactly comfortable for me, but I didn't fault my wife for the actions of her less moral coworkers."

Well, as we know now, his wife was part of that promiscuous crowd, her morals were no better than any of the others. We need to see some "lessons learned", they were having too much fun at the expense of their spouses. It was all fun and games " 'till her daddy took her T-bird away". We wanted to see them lose the T-bird. As Sadusky said in the movie National Treasure, "Someone's got to go to prison, Ben." We want to see who goes to prison, metaphorically, of course.

Your story was great. Your writing is excellent. I would have loved to see 6 or 7 or 10 page chapters, but that's me. When I find a good story or book, sometimes even a movie, I hate to see it end. Great job. Thanks for submitting, it was really wonderful. I hope we'll be seeing many more.

SantacruzmanSantacruzmanabout 7 years ago
James Patterson has nothing on you!

Loved this story from chapter 1 and the ending is so deliciously twisted. I know that the BTB types won't care for how the wife was dealt with, but it felt so right the way you wrote it. I hope to see more of your writings. You have moved up to the top of my best authors list.

Congrats, Dude.

A great full fan,

Santacruzman

dob092095dob092095about 7 years ago
Wow

Great story, loved the twist at end. My only negative is minor for story this good. Consider keeping next story private until you are done writing, then release chapters each day. Easy to lose track of story released over almost two months. Loved this story so much I kept looking for it.

gordo12gordo12about 7 years ago
Solid 5*

Love the ending. So unexpected!

thecarolinadreamerthecarolinadreamerabout 7 years ago
TOP FLIGHT STORY!

I tip my hat to superior talent. If you aren't trying to sell stories, you're missing a real bet. I can think of no other story that collected so few "Aw Shits."

To: "SORRY, SORRY," ANON. Are you for real, or just drunk as a skunk?"

jezzazjezzazabout 7 years ago
Just wow.

Fantastic stuff sir.

Go get an agent and get this stuff published.

You make me embarrassed at my efforts now.:)

HarddaysknightHarddaysknightabout 7 years ago
I have more than a few thoughts on this.

One thing I realized, as I looked for the final chapter every damn day, was that regardless of how it ended, it just wouldn't be enough. Most good books affect me that way. I am disappointed to see them end. You tied this up nicely, although our hero should have been worried about the house being bugged by three or four agencies. I would have asked my new girlfriend if she lied about the repeated day or if the French knew how she knew, and for how long her ground hog day was repeated. I would have begun Googling other events of that day.

I really enjoyed the imagination and effort put forth on this story. There was humor, drama, action, and a little romance. I liked that the Korean girl didn't fall for him, simply because it would have been too clichéd. You managed to keep an even keel with this and once the premise was accepted (disbelief suspended) this was very logical and believable, except for the lack of curiosity about what happened at the Louvre. Well played!

gldngolfergldngolferabout 7 years ago
Agree

It's not often I agree with sbrooks, but his thoughts matched mine this time.

Well done effort public in. Look forward to more of your writing.

MattblackUKMattblackUKabout 7 years ago
Wow. 5* al lthe way

Although I was looking forward to the end -with the biggest twist EVER! Well done!- I am sorry that the series has come to an end.

I will await your further stories with anticipation.

By the way, with a bit of minor polishing, this story would make a good novel.

JackallsJackallsabout 7 years ago
Great

Great again.

extemporeextemporeabout 7 years ago
An Inspired Story

A completely entertaining tale that managed to be fresh and interesting from

beginning to end.

The only thing I'm sorry about is that you didn't get paid for it!

Five Stars -- Extremely well done.

bruce22bruce22about 7 years ago
It is a shame that it is over!

A story that had mean worried when the author spent so much time to get the last

chapter on the board. Can you imagine waiting until he got back from being frozen in in the Antartic,

AnonymousAnonymousabout 7 years ago
Good story

I really enjoyed it.

Now we need to hear Ivette's story :)

AnonymousAnonymousabout 7 years ago
Keep it up

My lust for payback would have liked to see more suffering for Julie and her crew but can see how the story didn't really require it

Very good!

AnonymousAnonymousabout 7 years ago
Bravo!

5 Stars

Woop Woop

A new star is born

JimC

sbrooks103xsbrooks103xabout 7 years ago
@Anonymous "SICK SICK"

How in the world do you see this as BTB? Is it BTB anytime the husband doesn't eat her lovers' cream pies?

sbrooks103xsbrooks103xabout 7 years ago
@Harddaysknight

Maybe I'm dense, but I didn't see that her day was also a groundhog day, just that it was the same date as his.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 7 years ago
A really great story

This was an unstoppable read.

Well done to you.

sbrooks103xsbrooks103xabout 7 years ago
Revenge

I would have liked to have seen some of the fall-out!

smmhomesmmhomeabout 7 years ago
Really clever, really fun, really interesting!

Thanks for that. I feared it would go off the rails at some point, but while this story had high-flying adventure, you kept it tight. The relationship drama and character development stayed integral to the story... making it impossible to turn away from this gripping tale.

Awesome!

5* & a favorite!

AnonymousAnonymousabout 7 years ago
Unbelievable

Utterly absurd. But so much fun! An easy 5.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 7 years ago
This one's a winner

Well written and well structured story. Would have been to nice to hear more about the consequences for Julie and our hero's former circle of friends. That said, the twist at the end leaves the door open for a sequel perhaps? Nice work kublicon.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 7 years ago
Over-the-top craziness! GREAT story telling.

I really enjoyed this wild romp. Keep after it. I hope you post the "other story"!

bworth1943bworth1943about 7 years ago
fantasy guy

Terrific story. Well written. ....................Terrific story. Well written...............

Did I just say that. .........Deja vu?

HarddaysknightHarddaysknightabout 7 years ago
SBrooks, all of the hints given

certainly led the reader (this reader) to believe that the French woman had gone through the same ground hog day situation. Of course it was not confirmed, but she spoke several languages, knew self defense, just happened to be in the right place to end a terrorist bomb attack, won a huge sum in the French lottery, and asked if he ever had deja vu. I read that to indicate she had her own ground hog day experience. I could be wrong, but what are the odds all of those things happened, and I would be wrong, all at the same time?

AnonymousAnonymousabout 7 years ago
Great story, great ending, worth the wait 5 *

Like HDK, I have been checking daily for this chapter. This was worth the wait. I loved the development of the story. As crazy as it was, it made internal sense. It was different but had many core LW issues. I didn't think you could pull off the ending but it was better than I hoped for. While it wasn't BTB the wife was punished, he didn't end up with the obvious new gf but an interesting twist. As another commentator suggested, this would make a great movie! You have talent. Thank you for your work.

reasonable man

AnonymousAnonymousabout 7 years ago
A great Adventure story, but a mediocre Loving Wives story.

From "Scenes From A Marriage" by Ohio:

With a tiny sigh, Matt closed his book and rolled sideways to gaze at his wife. He had always loved the way the tip of her tongue protruded just a bit from between her lips when she was concentrating. Pen poised above the paper, she absent-mindedly swept a stray lock of her dark hair back over one ear.

"Lynnie?"

"Mmm," she replied, without looking up. Matt waited, and after a moment she turned to look at him.

"Do you love him?"

Lynn became very still, and a little pale. She looked at him silently. She just couldn't bring herself to play the game—to say, "who?", or to try some ridiculous lie. Matt deserved better than that.

"No," she said.

"So then it's all just about the fucking?"

"Matt, I—," she began, trying to hold his gaze. Then she looked down at the papers on her lap. "Yes—I guess it was about the sex. The flirting, and then the sex."

"I see," he said. Silence.

There is more emotional energy, pathos, regret, and marital destruction in those few paragraphs than is contained in your entire story. Ohio's story has nowhere near the excitement, complexity, adventure, and thrilling suspense that your story does. But his is a real Loving Wives story, while yours is an action adventure that included adultery as a minor sub-plot. Your plot required more detail and research and planning. Ohio's plot required more understanding of the marriage relationship, the concepts of commitment, temptation, personal integrity, failure, and collateral family damage. Yes, it is comparing Apples to Oranges, that's the point of this comment. You stuck an orange in the apple basket, and while it is delicious, its not an apple.

I will let others pile on the deserved kudos and praise for your compelling and riveting story. Congratulations. It would be a 5 if it weren't trying to masquerade as something its not. Please try again.

dc6370dc6370about 7 years ago
I agree with the Anon comment written just befor mine but...

I thought it was a fantastic story. I gave it a 5. I cannot wait to see what your imagination can dream up and deliver to us in the future.

shaman43shaman43about 7 years ago
Hmmmm

As some have said great adventure story and a five for sure. For some reason I felt about this end like he felt about his wife. Fault is mine but it sure was deflating somehow. Thanks for the story.

WyldcardWyldcardabout 7 years ago

An excellent story. Well plotted and well written.

I'm going to offer a contrast, rather than a critique as such. Obviously this follows in the footsteps of Groundhog's Day, or perhaps more closely Edge of Tomorrow.

Why do I say this? Groundhog's Day was definitely an inward facing study on Bill Murray's character. His character started as someone who had no time or interest in others. His position as a regional weather reporter was just a step towards being more big market. He didn't care about his colleagues, he didn't care about the local reporting. He had no interesting in spending a moment of time longer in Punxsutawney than he had to. Thus the time loop was his very personal perdition, and he went through endless cycles of response, from enjoying and exploiting it for his own personal pleasure, trying to escape it, and finally releasing his sense of self urgency to simply be and do what he can in the moment for others rather than himself. It was a bit of a Buddhist parable, which makes sense since the director had strong Buddhist ties (though I don't think he identified as Buddhist.)

In the Edge of Tomorrow, there was also growth of the character, but in the lines of an action character from PR flack, cowardly faux soldier to a heroic, self sacrificing soldier. The growth was less all encompassing, but still real.

The contrast here (and it isn't really a bad thing necessarily) is that you focused on how the time let him address the emotional fallout from being betrayed by his wife, however the character didn't really grow as a person. He certainly gained skills, but his decisions were often still based on his own self interest.

He still focused on maximizing his income in case the loop closed. He was willing to sacrifice eight lives for effectively his convenience, so he wouldn't face so many questions afterwards. He wasn't willing to sacrifice the lives of people he knew, only strangers, or those of more 'value' such as the ambassador. He may have made some peace with his wife when she took a bullet for him in one loop (and after months/years of pranks and revenge from his perspective, but he still had the need for vengeance on others even after four years. He wasn't actually a 'good person' in that context. He just figured out what he had to do to get out of the loop and definitely arranged for it to be of the best benefit for him while doing so. In fact, his priority in planning was how to have the best result when the looping was done, both financially and legally. That he had to be a hero and stop a nuclear bomb blast to accomplish his 'win state' was the scenario presented, not due to his choice or wish to be heroic.

I don't think this is a bad thing per se. It is certainly 'real' in that most real people, given years of attempts to optimize their life in one day would probably find 'cheats' that ended up with them having a great result by the end of day. People certainly do it in games as they replay a scenario over and over.

I like that you left open what actor chose who went into loops, why the two loops indicated happened on the same day, how the two characters who looped ended up finding the same building to live in seemingly by their own choice. Actually, referencing games, it does make it seem more like they are characters being played over and over to max the score in some sort of sim.

I'm curious if you're going to explore the world further. The presence of a mysterious entity driving the loops and how they select their subjects is certainly interesting.

AmunRa218AmunRa218about 7 years ago
Fantastic Story

Unbelievable. Loved every minute of this. Now to go back and reread without the posting interruption.

You sir are a genius. Not only have you told us Sam's story, you have set up Ivette's. Even better, as one commenter said, "Google" for other incidents that happened on the same day. Now you have the potential to have many who can share their experiences. Then finally, the answer to the big question, how it all happened when the group gets together. Hhhmm Maybe a new group of super heroes?? LOLOL. Now sell this to a publishing house and take up writing full time. You have enough material to keep you busy long into the future. Well Done!!!

sbrooks103xsbrooks103xabout 7 years ago
@Harddaysknight

Yep, I AM dense, LOL!

I never made the martial arts, language connection, or the BIGGIE, the lottery!

leviayersleviayersabout 7 years ago

outstanding thank you 5*

AnonymousAnonymousabout 7 years ago
In awe of the plot

I commend you on the plotting of this. Extremely well done!

qhml1qhml1about 7 years ago
You've hit the ground running

Now the rest of are going to have to scramble to keep up. Top notch work, well worth reading. 5 from me.

oshawoshawabout 7 years ago

I wanted to wait till the conclusion of the story to post a comment. This was a fantastic effort and I enjoyed every chapter. I hope you have a new story lined up soon for all of us to enjoy.

njlaurennjlaurenabout 7 years ago
Liked it

I was a bit disappointed we don't see what happened when the shit hit the fan w the revelations, and Julie remained a cipher, how she could love him enough to take a bullet yet demean him so horribly? This wasn't just sex w her.....it was a cruel game,one she never tries to explain.

That said a great yarn,liked the twist at the end. Couple of quibbles, an apartment next to central park is midtown,not downtown. As far as wall street goes most of the trading volume is based in algorithmic trading, and even individual traders are using model based advice to trade, human vaguery is more like competing algorithms.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 7 years ago

After 6 long chapters we don't get to see the shit hitting the fan with the relations? You couldn't possibly have worked that in? At the start I was thinking fantastic, something new in a tired category, but to drag it out the way you did negated the 'newness' of your idea.

AxelottoAxelottoabout 7 years ago
Well done!

Wow, what a ride, you have a knack for cliffhangers. Even knowing he couldn't die, you had me anxious for Sam to succeed... Thanks for an entertaining series, i hope you keep going.

WyldcardWyldcardabout 7 years ago

Thinking about my own comment a bit more.

Again, first rate all the way. Five star story.

In terms of comparisons, both this and Edge of Tomorrow definitely develop more as a video game scenario put into story form, compared to Groundhog's Day. Both have a char dropped into a situation and an action based win scenario that requires development of precise skills and memory of exact actions to be taken in a particular order, much like the old CD games like Dragon's Lair.

I certainly enjoyed the choose your own adventure replay-ability you developed and revealed as he figured out the best win state path for himself. I'm also still torn on the lack of real character growth through the years of travails. But truthfully, for free fiction on an erotica site and by a first time author? Who cares. Kudos to you.

As an aside, I did expect the final government rep to reveal that they had records of similar, improbable feats of wonder by individuals with little way to explain how they managed what they did. The sudden unerring investment and compounding of $20k to $7m would set off innumerable bells to anyone looking at the entire oddity of the circumstances. Could be an entree to future stories, a small department that tracks individuals who have these miraculous single days in an attempt to find out the source of it all.

Excellent fun to read story, wowsers and kudos! :)

AnonymousAnonymousabout 7 years ago
Fucking awesome

Yup

AnonymousAnonymousabout 7 years ago

Would've liked to hear about all the people's relationships destroyed like they participated in his . Other than that s good story

AnonymousAnonymousabout 7 years ago
If you could find the time, I would love

to read your next epic. Thank you for a very enjoyable ride.

kdcee79kdcee79about 7 years ago
Wow, oh wow

Many kudos to you - if this is your first time work, then man, you have a great future ahead of you. Any writers here on Lit. & other such sites would die to be able to write anything as good as this. Congrats on a superb story, I look forward to seeing more work from you. 5 * * * * *

AnonymousAnonymousabout 7 years ago
Great story!

Just curious, when you say, "But that's another story..." are you going to continue this and write about what happens next or not? I'd love to read more from you as your stories are amazing, but you do you, and I'll be waiting to read some more if/when you write more.

Moloch_The_MysticMoloch_The_Mysticabout 7 years ago
Give him a mic

...so that he can drop it. Honestly, I've never looked forward to installments on this site the way I looked forward to yours. One of the chief complaints is that people don't finish stories, and you did. You kept me engaged.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 7 years ago
I am calling BullShit

I am a lawyer and write for a living and I recognize professional writing when I see it In fact, I will eat my hat if it wasn't also reviewed by a fair to middlin editor!! No way this is an amateur story. Just Saying.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 7 years ago
Don't be a stranger

Hope there are more yarns to come. Really enjoyed it.

TwentysevenTwentysevenabout 7 years ago
A Plea

In my observation there is a massive demand on this site for stories about heroic military actions. Could whoever runs the place please take note and establish a new category. That would free up the Loving Wives site for stories about intimate relationships between men and women, which was surely the intention.

CrkcpprCrkcpprabout 7 years ago
@ twentyseven

What do you want ? In case you've not noticed this category is a dumping ground for just about everything. If you want Willing Cuckoldry , it's here in spades ! You want Hotwife / Sharing stories , they are a dime a dozen ! You want swingers , ditto ! You want fetishism, it's here !

So you want to ban or move a subgenre just because you don't approve , well take a number pal , that's been wished for since I started reading here about 10 years ago now !

The powers that be here ( Laurel ) has basically come out recently and said it's staying as is . So we all have to live here with no one getting their fill ( except those Damned cuckold's ) .

At least these are enjoyable .

CrkcpprCrkcpprabout 7 years ago
Late to the show again

But what a show it was !

Looking back over a few of the previous comments , all the superlatives I could use to describe this have already been said , so just let me thank you for sharing this wonderful swashbuckling yarn with us !

5 *'s plus !

AnonymousAnonymousabout 7 years ago
DAMN !!! It's a treat to come on here and find a STORY!

Good job... now get your ass back to work on another good one.

Five stars all the way.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 7 years ago
Reply to comment by Anonymous Lawyer on 04/25/17

So you're a lawyer? Well your ignorant comment is a perfect example of why people have no use for or respect for you conniving fuckers. Where's it written that an author on this site has to be an amateur? Instead of being a slanderous prick and an asshole, why couldn't you just express your appreciation for a well told story? ..... and THEN gone back to jacking off to your video porn.

266xxyz266xxyzabout 7 years ago
Very well done!

Great story! I loved it and know I will read it again. Wonderful Job! Thank you!

AnonymousAnonymousabout 7 years ago
Good ending

The divorce fell a bit flat, though. And I'd have liked to see the aftermath for his 'friends'.

I hope to read more stories from you soon!

angiquesophieangiquesophieabout 7 years ago
nice, really nice.

great entertainment. thank you.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 7 years ago
WTF!!!

Six chapters and in the end you couldn't write some payback for the assholes? Come on!

silentsoundsilentsoundabout 7 years ago
Very fun ride!

Would have liked more on the aftermath of his revelations to the asshole friends and all the fallout.

That aside, very nice!

Would have also liked to see the doctor she was cheating with paid back.

WvrjjrWvrjjrabout 7 years ago
Very cool, quite inventive

I gave this 4 stars. Liked it, but I would echo silent sound. Needed a bit less build up and a little more aftermath. Retribution for Dr Dick for sure (especially after all the training), as well as the "friends".

But a good read

Thank you

AnonymousAnonymousabout 7 years ago
WOW !!!!

Now that little twist at the end was a good way to end the story. Honestly, I was waiting for the revelation that she was from some A.B.C. group, there to keep an eye on Sam.

sbrooks103xsbrooks103xabout 7 years ago
@Wyldcard

You bring a point that I hadn't considered, that knowing about Paris, and maybe other incidents, made the gov't more willing to let him slide.

I'm still puzzled by the investments. Since everything except for him resets, wouldn't his account reset to 20K? If it didn't, as you say, wouldn't the one day jump from 20K to $7 million set off alarms? The intervening trades wouldn't be there!

sbrooks103xsbrooks103xabout 7 years ago
Tx Tall Tales

Now if TTT will just finish "A Town Without Honor" my week will be complete!

edwusaedwusaabout 7 years ago
Some People Are So Picky

Picky, picky, picky. How many authors offer so much entertainment and fun in 6 engaging installments? 5 Stars.

HarddaysknightHarddaysknightabout 7 years ago
SBrooks, he made his investments Friday morning

and they were brilliant, almost as if he knew what was going to go up substantially that day. The next day finally did come so his investments were real and profitable, all in one day. He probably had everything programmed to sell immediately after making his profit. It did attract the attention of the feds, but it was all totally legal and they even allowed it to be tax free in appreciation. I do wonder why he didn't buy lottery tickets, and place some bets on sporting events as well. He could have bought life insurance on anyone that he knew would die that day, but that might be suspicious.

HarddaysknightHarddaysknightabout 7 years ago
Like many others, this story fascinates me.

I recalled that he celebrated national tapioca pudding day on a Friday, but the bomb always went off on Saturday morning, not on Tapioca Day. If the Louvre situation was simultaneous, it would have been at 10:58 Saturday morning, seemingly the day after national tapioca pudding day. So did the French lady also reset to Friday morning, giving her six more hours than our hero to determine what was going on and solve the problem? If they were simultaneous, it would be a huge coincidence. Then the two heroes living in the same building and falling in love was about as likely as repeating Friday over for years. There are greater forces at play here.

The divorce was anticlimactic for our hero since he had so many years to prepare. The reader has only had a few weeks. I am surprised that he still was angry at the friends and family. Many guys would have been over the whole situation four years later.

ResidentWeavilResidentWeavilabout 7 years ago
Great story

Cute twist at the end as well.

My only complaint is that while there was a cheating wife, she was mostly incidental to the plot. I think this would have been better placed in SciFi.

But I will be watching for your next one where ever you post it!

Thanks.

TwentysevenTwentysevenabout 7 years ago
To crkcppr (did I get that right?)

Simmer down, little man. It's just that some of us have left comic books behind. One day you may too. Then again, probably not.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 7 years ago
Loved it

Would have liked a little more closure. I love the btb theme and wold leave liked to seen the aftermath for the whore sister and friends.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 7 years ago
@Harddaysknight

"I am surprised that he still was angry at the friends and family. Many guys would have been over the whole situation four years later."

He may be over that but it doesn't mean they don't need to pay. I missed the revenge.

sbrooks103xsbrooks103xabout 7 years ago
@Harddaysknight

Yes, I understand how he made the successful investments. What I don't understand is why the balance didn't reset when the day reset. Because he didn't really go from 20K to $7 million in one day. He went from 20K to, let's say $100K, then when he re-cycled he had $100K to invest, and so on, when it seems that he should have been back to 20K.

pkmapkmaabout 7 years ago
@sbrooks103X

Try this on for plausable:

Find a trade that makes money on day one. Make that trade every day plus one more that is profitable. Back them up hard be each (seconds apart) until after several thousand days you have stacked them up and are making several thousand trades but you must re-execute every day to keep it in play. The algorithm repeats daily. (robo-trading) Money would increase exponentially as the day goes on thus allowing withdrawals later on during the day with some drain but the next day it's back to 20K anyway.

Yeah I know, but is fiction

HarddaysknightHarddaysknightabout 7 years ago
SBrooks, the story implies that he did exactly that.

He made $20K into $7M in one day's trading, so he wound up with 350 times as much money as he started the day with. It was impossible to carry money over from one day to the next day until he ended the loop. Many would say it's impossible to find even one trade that increased by 350 times in a day, let alone invest in numerous stocks and attain that amount. But then, many people think there is no such thing as a time warp. That is why the lottery ticket is more believable. The only thing he carried over to the next day in the loop was his knowledge, which was the single best thing he could retain.

GrandPaMGrandPaMabout 7 years ago
@sbrooks103x...no, you missed the iterative nature...

...of him developing his trading program/pattern.

He spent his days memorizing trades, and watching how the market reacted to his trades to develop a program that DID take him from $20k to $7mil in (less than) one day of market activity (of course his bank balance reset to $20k each day in the loop).

That program development took him several WEEKS of development effort IIRC.

Aside from that - REALLY GOOD story here. I Loved the two coming together "accidentally" those several years later. "Deja Vu" indeed! :-)

Obviously Bill Murray was not the only "groundhog" to be found out there... Why do I sense a little "S. M. Stirling/Nantucket" action happening in the bigger story sense of these two coming together at the end?

kubliconkubliconabout 7 years agoAuthor
From the author

Thank you for all the kind words. My first story was much better received than I ever expected.

It may be a while before my next story, because I plan to write it in advance, rather than posting as it's written. I think I unwittingly set a high bar for myself. This story was supposed to the "fun and easy" one, but it evolved as I was writing it.

I had posted Pt. 02 before I even thought of the terrorist component, which I arrived at after realizing that I needed some kind of external trigger for the time loop. I'd written Sam as too nice a guy. He didn't fit the Bill Murray character of Groundhog Day. If self-improvement was going to be the key to escaping the loop, then Julie should have been the one trapped in it. I certainly never planned for the story to have such heavy action when I started it.

Even though I'm going to have the next story written before I start posting, I may still leave a week between chapters. Personally, as a longtime reader, here and on SOL, I enjoy the anticipation of knowing that a good story is coming. Sometimes days or weeks can go by without a really good read, so I like the ongoing stories. At least when I know they WILL be finished. Plus, I'm curious if posting over an extended period reaches a larger audience.

Let me know what you guys think.

Finally, as of right now, I have no plan to tell Ivette's story, or continue in this "universe." I could change my mind later, but that's the plan. If I dig too deep into this storyline, I run the risk of "jumping the shark." Always leave them wanting more. I'll only continue this storyline if inspiration gives me a titty twister. If anyone else wants to write their own story, building on this premise, have at it.

Thank you all for reading.

ohioohioabout 7 years ago
Thanks again to Kublicon

for one of the most interesting and fun stories ever posted in LW. It is really top-notch, and I am among the many grateful readers who can hardly wait for his next contribution.

Thanks, ohio

AnonymousAnonymousabout 7 years ago
Very enjoyable story

But I liked "Groundhog Day" too. Really, I did like the way you brought it to conclusion with potential for another chapter though it isn't needed.

I think you're wise to write a story to completion before posting the first edition. I know in my opinion I don't like to wait a week for each new chapter, so from my perspective a few days between would be plenty.

Thanks for taking your time to write for our entertainment. Ignore those who post only negatives without offering a way to improve. Some folks are just jealous that they don't have the ability to make up an entertaining story. Keep up the writing.

WyldcardWyldcardabout 7 years ago

@Kublicon:

1. re: pacing the publishing of tales: I think you should do what you enjoy. No one is paying for this. Truthfully a weekly schedule can be nice. I'd definitely advise against a pitfall of some of the stories I've seen done that way which is the 'never ending tale' error of folk who love their characters more than they enjoy writing a good story. There are tales on SOL that are longer than War and Peace in word count. Definitely if you are doing that, have a start and end, even if you don't have it completely written as you indicated you plan to.

2. re: continuing in this world: Telling the stories of more people caught in loops is probably anticlimactic, and would certainly be odd if they all ended up in the LW category. :) For the people in the loop there really isn't a 'lose' state. It keeps going until they find a way out or I suppose go catatonic. The game of the puppeteer and perhaps their adversary makes a better followup in terms of world building. There you have the potential for stakes and conflict and loss. May not be relevant to this site however.

3. re: character growth, conflict, loss: Separate from character growth you had a scenario where there was no risk to the protagonist. It was just a puzzle to be solved, and with the ability to set up his own 'side quests' to his own benefit if he finishes the primary puzzle. The risks could be internal, a slide to insanity and loss of humanity. The risks could be external, an opposing force in the loop. Taking 'Edge of Tomorrow' for another comparison. The alien hive mind was aware of the protagonist. It or regular error could lead to his loss of blood and thus powers of reviving, and thus the death of humanity. That led to suspense. This was a great story, but there wasn't any suspense. Because there was no loss state, it also meant the terrorists were simply a puzzle, not a conflict. This is a problem specifically with this story premise and not likely one you'll encounter in future stories.

This story was great fun, you're a good writer. This is as much advice as I can give to make your next one better :)

As for the people complaining about the lack of showing 'payback', it is a regular reminder that whatever the demurrals, the loudest contingent in this category are people who have a fetish for revenge porn, particularly against women. I'm still not sure what to make of that kink.

Anonymous
Our Comments Policy is available in the Lit FAQ
Post as:
Anonymous