All Comments on 'Dear Alex'

by simply_cyn

Sort by:
  • 2 Comments
AnonymousAnonymousover 19 years ago
Short But So Simply Profound

This is one of the most thoughtful pieces of short writings I've read here in Lierotica.

Don't ruin it by telling us the ugliness that had driven them apart, by, say, doing another "chapter" --- be it sequel or prequel.

The tragedy --- and it is revealed so succinctly even within this short "letter" --- is that (and although we hear from the woman's perspective only) they both seemed to have loved each other a lot, the stray by the woman notwithstanding.

Indeed, she has had time to reflect on live, living, and love. And it seems that she's come to understand, only if too late, that the thrill of raw, illicit, narcissistic sexual engagements outside of one's commitment --- the exchanging of bodily fluids with strangers --- were, at best, no more than temporary delusions/allusions; and the simple and deep love, commitment and faith in each other, are truly the qualities that nurture healthy relationships.

Few moments or even hours or days of raw sex with "exciting" and/or "romantic" strangers could never really outlast the slow, deep, and sustaining love of a faithful, trustworthy, and loving partner.

What sorrows for both... Alas, life really does imitate art sometimes,,, too often, it seems!

HenryDavidThoreauHenryDavidThoreauover 19 years ago
An Imagined Reply

If I knew her Ex and if I knew he'd write any thing back to his ex (let's call her Rose, though any name would suffice), I'd like it to be something as follows:

+++++++++++++++++++++++

Dear Rose,

Thank you for writing. It's been five and a half years, yes. Time does fly, sometimes, doesn't it?

Not unlike you, I, too--- once in a while, even if just for a fleeting moment --- would let my mind wonder. Lots of memories, yes.

But as memories, good or bad, they will stay...Never to be revisited.

Although I'm not religious or superstitious, I like this one saying quite a bit, because it is so fitting in our situation:

You and I were not meant to be together, despite the deep love we thought we felt for one another so many years ago. We didn't know it then; but we know it now...

The pains and sorrows we sometimes feel are meant to be life's most important lessons.

There's always a purpose to everything we do, as to who we are, even if we sometimes don't know it. Sometimes we get distracted and/or delayed from going where our true destiny lies... But we do get to go there eventually, depending how good we are in learning life's unbending but invaluable lessons (i.e., not making the same or similar mistakes again and again).

The good times you and I had... let them stay simple, pure, and memorable.

However fleeting it was that we were together, I was profoundly happy to have known you, to have loved you. And, you're correct, I had loved you very very deeply. It was a love that was very pure, for me...

But I have moved on (as you probably know from your friend) and have built a life with someone very, very special to me. She means more to me than my own life...

Every time I look at her, I know what I've been looking for all my life. Her eyes... I never get tired of looking into her beautiful grey eyes ... it's like they hold all of the kindness as well as knowledge of the cosmos in her big, beautiful grey eyes!

And her simple smiles! Before knowing her, I didn't think it was possible for a human being to have such pure and uplifting smiles! Every smile she smiles is a treasure for me!

Love is never used up.

You are a tremendous person, Rose, as I said, and I shall always remember you fondly. I know you will, someday, find a person who will not only share your thoughts, beliefs, and activities but who will also fulfill your needs, yearnings, and dreams... someone whose every smile has the power to transport you to another dimension, where only your "soul could reach, when feelings out of sight," as Elizabeth Barrett Browning said!

Kathy and I wish you all the best and, again, thank you for your letter.

Best of Wishes,

Alex

Anonymous
Our Comments Policy is available in the Lit FAQ
Post as:
Anonymous